2019 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Queensland Maroons 13+
No votes
Queensland Maroons 1-12
27%
Draw
No votes
New South Wales Blues 1-12
18%
New South Wales Blues 13+
55%

Total votes: 11

greeneyed
Don Furner

2019 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by greeneyed »

2019 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales: Teams and Game Day

Queensland V New South Wales
Perth Stadium
Sunday 23 June 8:00pm AEST 6:00pm AWST
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine live
Radio: ABC, 2CC

Queensland Maroons

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Corey Oates 3. Michael Morgan 4. Will Chambers 5. Dane Gagai 6. Cameron Munster 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Dylan Napa 9. Ben Hunt 10. Josh Papalii 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Matt Gillett 13. Josh McGuire

14. Moses Mbye 15. Jarrod Wallace 16. Tim Glasby 17. David Fifita

18. Christian Welch 19. Corey Norman

New South Wales Blues

1. James Tedesco 2. Blake Ferguson 3. Tom Trbojevic 4. Jack Wighton 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. James Maloney 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Damien Cook 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Tyson Frizell 13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Dale Finucane 15. Tariq Sims 16. Cameron Murray 17. Wade Graham

Officials:

Referee: Gerard Sutton
Assist Referee: Ashley Klein
Senior Review Official: Jared Maxwell
Review Official: Ben Galea
Touch Judges: Nick Beashel, Chris Butler
Standby Referee: Grant Atkins
Standby Touch Judge: Michael Wise

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2019 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by -PJ- »

I've just seen footage of Kevvie Walters rolling around on the ground in stitches..

He's just seen the Blues side.. :woot:
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

The blues team copping it on the socials.

I think that is a strong line up. Happy to see Finucane get his call up. Interesting to see how they play.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

7 changes to the NSW team 😳
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

This NSW team will cop it in the media and from fans all week with the changes, people will say QLD have it in the bag. The Blues will go into siege mentality mode and come out to rip heads off and prove everyone wrong, coming away with a big win. Freddy is a genius, this will go down in history!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Love seeing Jack play in the centres. Me thinks Gus was in Freddy's ear about that.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm a Blue, so I hope yr right...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Happy to see Daniel Saifiti make his Origin debut..

That’s 2 Origin players I’ve coached as juniors now

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Dusty wrote: June 16, 2019, 7:54 pm Happy to see Daniel Saifiti make his Origin debut..

That’s 2 Origin players I’ve coached as juniors now

Congratulations! That is a great achievement.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The problem isn't so much the team as the fact it feels a bit like Freddie is panicking. Reminds everyone of every other Blues coach since pre-dynasty. But I don't think that's actually the case.

Klemmer, Cotric and Haas are injured so those changes don't count. Turbo was always going to get back in - and so he should - and I think Graham was also always a very good shot at it too considering the regard he's held in. So that's two incumbents back replacing at least one fill-in in Morris and an under-performer in Crichton.

Latrell and Walker are the two big calls. One is young and mentally shot, so fair enough to drop. He'll be back eventually. The other didn't cut it on the big stage and was replaced by another incumbent who's found form.

There are a lot of changes but I don't think they're as drastic as has been made out. I also think the team is more rounded, tougher and more versatile, so I prefer it to the first game's.

Not sure if that will be enough to win though.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Good post Ruben Daley.

It definitely feels like Freddie has panicked here... My take on the changes:

Saifiti and Finucane in for Klemmer and Haas - I’m not a big fan of Saifiti or Finucane but I don’t have any other suggestions for front row replacements so difficult for me to criticise these selections. I will say though, that when players like Finucane are described as “tough”, I see it as a synonym for not having any of the other skills that top tier forwards have, such as offloading, footwork, ball playing etc. In other words, they offer nothing in attack. The best other examples are Josh Jackson and Beau Scott, but at least Finucane plays in the middle.

Dropping Morris, moving Wighton to centre, and bringing in Wade Graham. If that’s the move Freddie wanted to make, i can live with it. Just seems strange that Wade graham wasn’t good enough for Origin last year but now here he is only a couple of weeks back from injury...

Trbojevic for Cotric - even though turbo will play in the centres, his selection was guanranteed once Cotric was injured, so this selection is fair.

Dropping Crighton for Sims - good move. Could’ve gone for Matterson but happy with Tariq.

Dropping Mitchell, moving turbo to the centres and bringing in Fergo - madness to drop Mitchell... he was primed for a big game after his below par performance in game 1.

Dropping Walker for Maloney - Incredibly unfair on Walker. In hindsight, probably should’ve picked Maloney in game 1 after Keary was ruled out, but once they picked walker, they had to stick with him. Decisions like this do nothing but create huge amounts of pressure for debutant halves in the future

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Agree with that, Bone.

In regard to Mitchell, there must be more to it. Everyone loves him so there’s no way they dropped him purely on that first game.

I think the inconsistencies between Freddy’s and Brandy’s comments about in the week afterwards indicates a fair bit more is going on behind the scenes.

Agree about Walker. I thought he was a good pick at 14 but wasn’t convinced he would be strong enough for 6. He’s not the type of player to dominate every game so if you pick him you have to ride ones like Game One and wait for the breakout game where he bags a hat-trick of freakish tries.

Keary getting injured and Penrith stinking it up threw the NSW selectors.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Ruben Daley wrote: June 17, 2019, 9:04 am Agree with that, Bone.

In regard to Mitchell, there must be more to it. Everyone loves him so there’s no way they dropped him purely on that first game.

I think the inconsistencies between Freddy’s and Brandy’s comments about in the week afterwards indicates a fair bit more is going on behind the scenes.

Agree about Walker. I thought he was a good pick at 14 but wasn’t convinced he would be strong enough for 6. He’s not the type of player to dominate every game so if you pick him you have to ride ones like Game One and wait for the breakout game where he bags a hat-trick of freakish tries.

What do you think was doing the rounds before game 1 that made a certain player play pretty bad compared to what he can usually play 🙄
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Goldcoast Raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 11:08 am

What do you think was doing the rounds before game 1 that made a certain player play pretty bad compared to what he can usually play 🙄
Apparently it wasn't even him though
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fergie for Cotric - forced (ankle). Also, out the door for the no BS factor.
Turbo for Latrell - cutthroat and BTW really dumb. Did QLD ever drop GI? Did they pick him even when his club form was ****? **** kinda selection is that?!?
Morris for Jack - tough call, Morris, while spot filling, was NSW best outside back in Game 1. TBH, harsh on Croker here too. Both centres replaced, and he isn't 1. At least Im still happy for Jack. (BTW, I think Jack and Turbo will actually play the other way around, as in Jack left and Turbo right).
Maloney for Walker - I didn't like the Walker selection from day 1, but at least his form warranted it. That said, NSW back to their winning halves combo.
Safiti for Klem - forced (arm). ****?!? He isn't even the 2nd best prop at his club. Lodge or Tamou, hell I'd take RCG in a 1 off origin.
Funicane for Jack via Morris as the utility. Refer to Graham for utility value. Really good pick. Really happy for him.
Sims for Haas - forced (hammy). Sims is a dirty but tough SOB. Perfect player for Origin.
Graham for Crichton - tough call, but in 2 games Graham has been phenomenal. TBF Graham is probably seen as the utility in a variety combo with Jack (of all trades) and Murray who can play hooker.

This will be mobile forwards warfare. Funicane, Sims, Friz will all spend time at prop. Murray to share with Jurbo.

Weirdly, Graham is a left edge player (so is Sims BTW), but it's Friz who will make way for him. Does Cordner switch sides? At least Crichton plays right edge. Matterson must feel very unlucky. 18th man and got jumped by Graham at minimum, but Funicane and Sims too.

IMO, the dumbest of all the selections is Safiti. Klem supported him, and for some reason that held weight. Id simply swap Safiti for Matterson, and make changes accordingly.

Matterson could simply be the Crichton 1 for 1 change. Friz plays 20-25 on the edge, Matterson comes on, and plays the remainder on the right edge.
Id happily pick Funicane or Sims to start at prop in Origin over Safiti.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I **** LOVE this NSW team, although I’m pretty bummed Pearce can’t play

Maloney and Cleary are the halves they should’ve had all along, so if they win the game because they accidentally ended up with the right halves it’s going to be pretty ****
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Matt wrote: June 17, 2019, 12:45 pm
Turbo for Latrell - cutthroat and BTW really dumb. Did QLD ever drop GI? Did they pick him even when his club form was ****? **** kinda selection is that?!?
I believe they did drop Hodges twice.

But the difference is Inglis never failed to show up like Latrell did. Even if Inglis played badly he was trying. Mitchell's club form had nothing to do with him getting dropped.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote: June 17, 2019, 1:16 pm

But the difference is Inglis never failed to show up like Latrell did. Even if Inglis played badly he was trying. Mitchell's club form had nothing to do with him getting dropped.
I get that. I also get that Latrell had a Barry Crocker in Game 1.
However, this kid is one of the genuine game breakers in the comp. He is head and shoulders the best centre in the game, even with his inconsistent play.
Oh... and BTW, QLD are laughing their arses off at his non selection.

He is GI 2.0. He moves the same way, has all the same abilities, plus GKing. When he wants to, he can be unstoppable, which is a trait very very very few player have. This is one of the things that set GI apart from his peers. He could just impose himself on a game. Yes, it wasnt something that was possible wk in wk out, but it happened.

I doubt Latrell would let himself play that badly again.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Strange selections with all the backrowers for NSW, you would think Trbojevic and or Frizzell will likely play quite a bit of prop to make use of the likes of Graham, Sims and Murray etc, But having said that the QLD bench isn't exactly that threatening, Mbye, Glasby and Wallace wouldn't scare to many origin sides
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

kiwi raider wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:03 pm Strange selections with all the backrowers for NSW, you would think Trbojevic and or Frizzell will likely play quite a bit of prop to make use of the likes of Graham, Sims and Murray etc, But having said that the QLD bench isn't exactly that threatening, Mbye, Glasby and Wallace wouldn't scare to many origin sides
Funicane and Sims have been picked as props, mobile ones, to counter Arrow, Napa, Papa, Wallace and Glasby.
Friz only plays 20-25mins on the edge anyway, before moving in field.
Jurbo played more prop than lock in Game 1, as Murray played good mins there.
My tip is Murray is in the game 15-20mins in, with Safiti playing sweet FA mins in Game 2.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: June 17, 2019, 12:45 pm Fergie for Cotric - forced (ankle). Also, out the door for the no BS factor.
Morris for Jack - tough call, Morris, while spot filling, was NSW best outside back in Game 1. TBH, harsh on Croker here too. Both centres replaced, and he isn't 1. At least Im still happy for Jack. (BTW, I think Jack and Turbo will actually play the other way around, as in Jack left and Turbo right).
Maloney for Walker - I didn't like the Walker selection from day 1, but at least his form warranted it. That said, NSW back to their winning halves combo.
Safiti for Klem - forced (arm). ****?!? He isn't even the 2nd best prop at his club. Lodge or Tamou, hell I'd take RCG in a 1 off origin.
Funicane for Jack via Morris as the utility. Refer to Graham for utility value. Really good pick. Really happy for him.
Sims for Haas - forced (hammy). Sims is a dirty but tough SOB. Perfect player for Origin.
Graham for Crichton - tough call, but in 2 games Graham has been phenomenal. TBF Graham is probably seen as the utility in a variety combo with Jack (of all trades) and Murray who can play hooker.

This will be mobile forwards warfare. Funicane, Sims, Friz will all spend time at prop. Murray to share with Jurbo.

Weirdly, Graham is a left edge player (so is Sims BTW), but it's Friz who will make way for him. Does Cordner switch sides? At least Crichton plays right edge. Matterson must feel very unlucky. 18th man and got jumped by Graham at minimum, but Funicane and Sims too.

IMO, the dumbest of all the selections is Safiti. Klem supported him, and for some reason that held weight. Id simply swap Safiti for Matterson, and make changes accordingly.

Matterson could simply be the Crichton 1 for 1 change. Friz plays 20-25 on the edge, Matterson comes on, and plays the remainder on the right edge.
Of course Wighton plays left and Trbojevic right.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:26 pm
Matt wrote: June 17, 2019, 12:45 pm Fergie for Cotric - forced (ankle). Also, out the door for the no BS factor.

Of course Wighton plays left and Trbojevic right.
Numbers suggest otherwise.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Referees unchanged for Origin II

Gerard Sutton and Ashley Klein will again be the on-field referees for the second match of the Holden State of Origin series.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/17/ref ... origin-ii/

Edrick Lee has dropped off the Queensland Maroons reserves list due to injury: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/cas ... jury-news/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I think it will be Jack on the left and Turbo on the right regardless of the numbers on their back. Turbo has played right center in SOO and Jack plays on the left for us even though at 5/8. I think we'll see a fair bit of Jake T and Dale F at prop. I reckon both will have more minutes than Safiti.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote:
edwahu wrote: June 17, 2019, 1:16 pm

I get that. I also get that Latrell had a Barry Crocker in Game 1.
However, this kid is one of the genuine game breakers in the comp. He is head and shoulders the best centre in the game, even with his inconsistent play.
Oh... and BTW, QLD are laughing their arses off at his non selection.

He is GI 2.0. He moves the same way, has all the same abilities, plus GKing. When he wants to, he can be unstoppable, which is a trait very very very few player have. This is one of the things that set GI apart from his peers. He could just impose himself on a game. Yes, it wasnt something that was possible wk in wk out, but it happened.

I doubt Latrell would let himself play that badly again.
Hahahaha agree with every single one of your points here, Matty

It’s simply mind blowing stuff
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I think Mitchell is a bit like Andrew Walker, butt load of talent but the dedication ain’t quite there, has a need to reconnect with family, friends that means his focus isn’t 100% on the job. Seems the sort of bloke who is easily distracted, needs a lot of affirmation and needs to reconnect

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I've got some random thoughts - feel free to ignore!

I'm bewildered why there is so much emphasis on Jake T filling in at prop. I get that some current locks are bash-it-up middle forwards - he isn't one of them. he's an 80 minute effort AND skill player, and the idea of moving him out of a hoover in the middle to being a battering ram in the middle is absolutely stupid. If Wade Graham is lauded for his skill, why not Jurbo?

Latrell - well maybe his defence isn't cutting it right now. I have seen idiots questioning Jack Wighton's defence. Do I need to say more. What peeves me more is the constant racket of of "oh we've picked a 5/8 at centre". These are the same people who have yammered for a few years about how "Jack's best position is at centre". Make up your minds...

That said, why wasn't Jack again on the bench and Turbo at right centre, Croker at left? Just sayin'.

Tyson Frizelle - will he do anything at all after 20 minutes?

Jack again - he tried more in 10 minutes than Cody Walker did in 40. Now I feel a bit for Walker, but really, who's got the oomph? (I think that's a coaching term).
Front row - yeah nah...

Told you it was random...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I reckon Freddy has made it clear he wants players with their head in the game and having a go. I don't think that could be said of Mitchell, Walker or Crichton in Game 1. So out they go. Three injuries needed replacing. The Morris dropping was more problematic for me. He scored a try and was generally involved. Maybe a fitness issue towards the end of the match??? One thing which can be said about the three replacements, win or lose there won't be any question about being involved in the game and showing that they want to be there.

Two of the Qld tries came from long Ponga passes to the edges. One left and one right. He now has Turbo and Jack to watch for these and if opportunity comes, go for an intercept. I'm really looking forward to the game. Go the Blues.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

What about this:

Maloney at half, Jack at 5/8, Morrison and Turbo in the centres...Cleary misses out.

That way, the best back in Origin 1 and arguably the best defensive centre in the game doesn't get dropped (Morrison), we still get Maloney running the show, Jack providing the running 5/8 option he plays at the Raiders, and Turbo gets a go at centre. Cleary goes back to clubland to work on his attack for another year and comes back next year when Maloney retires.

Thoughts?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

amiafish wrote: June 18, 2019, 10:40 am What about this:

Maloney at half, Jack at 5/8, Morrison and Turbo in the centres...Cleary misses out.

That way, the best back in Origin 1 and arguably the best defensive centre in the game doesn't get dropped (Morrison), we still get Maloney running the show, Jack providing the running 5/8 option he plays at the Raiders, and Turbo gets a go at centre. Cleary goes back to clubland to work on his attack for another year and comes back next year when Maloney retires.

Thoughts?
I love it! Any scenario where NSW completely changes their team and drops their best strike weapon after one bad game is fantastic IMO.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 11:03 am

Thoughts?
I love it! Any scenario where NSW completely changes their team and drops their best strike weapon after one bad game is fantastic IMO.
Spot on. Blues only needed 1 change to their backline. Turbo an injury replacement for Cotric. Forwards bring in somebody like RCG to cover Klemmer. Maybe tinker with the bench for a better balance. Finucane for Crichton did the job there. That's really all they needed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2019, 11:33 am
The Rickman wrote: June 18, 2019, 11:03 am

Thoughts?
Spot on. Blues only needed 1 change to their backline. Turbo an injury replacement for Cotric. Forwards bring in somebody like RCG to cover Klemmer. Maybe tinker with the bench for a better balance. Finucane for Crichton did the job there. That's really all they needed.
Yep, exactly. Walker and Mitchell ABSOLUTELY needed a chance to redeem themselves. I mean, they were completely dominated and only lost by four at **** Lang Park!!

It's mind boggling how they still do this every time they lose.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

They are too often influenced by noises made in the media.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2019, 11:38 am They are too often influenced by noises made in the media.
The big difference is that the Sydney media absolutely pumps up NSW as winning the next decade everytime they win a game (you watch them do it if they win Game 2), yet absolutely rips them to pieces if they lose.

The Queensland media just don't do that to our boys.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Yep, all other things being equal, Mitchell should have been selected again for Origin 2. One quiet game in attack and a dodgy defensive effort doesn't sweep aside his enormous talent and strike potency.

But, that just begs the questions, are all other things equal?

I've got to believe that there are some serious behind-the-scenes issues going on between Latrell and team management...it's the only hypothesis that makes sense of his axing. They did pick Fergo again, so at least that shows that they are willing to let bygones be bygones if "difficult" players change their attitudes. As Gus said last night, I don't think Fittler cares either way...he either gets a motivated Latrell back or he gets a motivated replacement while Latrell continues to fall short of his "standards". It's a big call for Fittler to make, but if it works out and Turbo or Jack has a blinder, we'll all be calling him a genius.