2019 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Queensland Maroons 13+
No votes
Queensland Maroons 1-12
27%
Draw
No votes
New South Wales Blues 1-12
18%
New South Wales Blues 13+
55%

Total votes: 11

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2019 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by Northern Raider »

Freddy was happy to come on and explain everything away but it still doesn't make a lot of sense. He wants more effort yet he dropped a guy who delivered in spades (Morris) and includes a guy who's let them down in the past (Fergo).

Dumping Walker after 1 game was also classic scapegoating. At least keep him as a bench utility. Let's not forget it was him that set up that try to bring NSW back into the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Was Morris really that good? scored a try yes(probably should have passed to an unmarked cotric) but he also let in a try when he jammed in completely unnecessarily and left Cotric to defend a 3 on 1 which ultimately resulted in Oates scoring, What else did he do? were his stats good because I actually don't remember a thing he did outside of those two plays, would expect more when your opposite centre is actually a halfback
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

Morris retired from rep footy a couple of years ago and came on board for game 1 due to lack of other options (Fergo had a few shockers leading up to the naming of side for game 1).

So I'm not too fussed about Morris being dropped for next generation of players (Fergo is still relatively young isn't he?)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Might take me a while coming to terms with Fergo being part of the "next generation of players".
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:28 pm
julian87 wrote: June 17, 2019, 2:26 pm
Matt wrote: June 17, 2019, 12:45 pm Fergie for Cotric - forced (ankle). Also, out the door for the no BS factor.
Turbo for Latrell - cutthroat and BTW really dumb. Did QLD ever drop GI? Did they pick him even when his club form was ****? **** kinda selection is that?!?
Morris for Jack - tough call, Morris, while spot filling, was NSW best outside back in Game 1. TBH, harsh on Croker here too. Both centres replaced, and he isn't 1. At least Im still happy for Jack. (BTW, I think Jack and Turbo will actually play the other way around, as in Jack left and Turbo right).
Maloney for Walker - I didn't like the Walker selection from day 1, but at least his form warranted it. That said, NSW back to their winning halves combo.
Safiti for Klem - forced (arm). ****?!? He isn't even the 2nd best prop at his club. Lodge or Tamou, hell I'd take RCG in a 1 off origin.
Funicane for Jack via Morris as the utility. Refer to Graham for utility value. Really good pick. Really happy for him.
Sims for Haas - forced (hammy). Sims is a dirty but tough SOB. Perfect player for Origin.
Graham for Crichton - tough call, but in 2 games Graham has been phenomenal. TBF Graham is probably seen as the utility in a variety combo with Jack (of all trades) and Murray who can play hooker.

This will be mobile forwards warfare. Funicane, Sims, Friz will all spend time at prop. Murray to share with Jurbo.

Weirdly, Graham is a left edge player (so is Sims BTW), but it's Friz who will make way for him. Does Cordner switch sides? At least Crichton plays right edge. Matterson must feel very unlucky. 18th man and got jumped by Graham at minimum, but Funicane and Sims too.

IMO, the dumbest of all the selections is Safiti. Klem supported him, and for some reason that held weight. Id simply swap Safiti for Matterson, and make changes accordingly.

Matterson could simply be the Crichton 1 for 1 change. Friz plays 20-25 on the edge, Matterson comes on, and plays the remainder on the right edge.
Id happily pick Funicane or Sims to start at prop in Origin over Safiti.
Of course Wighton plays left and Trbojevic right.
Numbers suggest otherwise.
Disagree.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

RedRaider wrote: June 18, 2019, 2:12 am
Ruben Daley wrote: June 17, 2019, 9:04 am Agree with that, Bone.

In regard to Mitchell, there must be more to it. Everyone loves him so there’s no way they dropped him purely on that first game.

I think the inconsistencies between Freddy’s and Brandy’s comments about in the week afterwards indicates a fair bit more is going on behind the scenes.

Agree about Walker. I thought he was a good pick at 14 but wasn’t convinced he would be strong enough for 6. He’s not the type of player to dominate every game so if you pick him you have to ride ones like Game One and wait for the breakout game where he bags a hat-trick of freakish tries.

Keary getting injured and Penrith stinking it up threw the NSW selectors.
I reckon Freddy has made it clear he wants players with their head in the game and having a go. I don't think that could be said of Mitchell, Walker or Crichton in Game 1. So out they go. Three injuries needed replacing. The Morris dropping was more problematic for me. He scored a try and was generally involved. Maybe a fitness issue towards the end of the match??? One thing which can be said about the three replacements, win or lose there won't be any question about being involved in the game and showing that they want to be there.

Two of the Qld tries came from long Ponga passes to the edges. One left and one right. He now has Turbo and Jack to watch for these and if opportunity comes, go for an intercept. I'm really looking forward to the game. Go the Blues.
Yeah, good point about having a go. Those three won't be hanging around watching.

You have to respect what Morris brings. He got called in at the last minute and did his job perfectly. But he also knew that he was a stop-gap and it makes more sense to use Turbo and Jack who can be around for a lot longer and who are both more versatile.

I'd love to see Jack take an intercept, by the way! I think Ponga's pass selection is better than most so he's less likely to throw a bad one but I reckon the Blues will have trained all week to defend that play.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The problem I saw in game 1 with defending Ponga was a lack of pressure from the inside men.

Then the outside men just premeditated his passing and he absolutely carved them, Ado Carr in particular.

Cutting him some slack, he was probably rattled by how poorly Latrell was defending next to him which caused him to panic.

IMO The last thing we need is NSW actively looking for intercepts, he deadset doesn’t throw them. He didnt even need to threaten to kick in behind the line, his touch football instincts are to throw bullets with precision instead. Extremely difficult for defenders to catch.

If our outside men move up too quickly, he’ll hit the short runner. His double-pump is absolutely deadly.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Disgusting that NSW are playing in alternate jerseys.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders and Queensland Maroons prop Josh Papalii's Kangaroos future up in the air

He's one of the best props in Australia, but Canberra Raiders big bopper Josh Papalii is no certainty to make himself available for Australia and may switch to Samoa later this year.

"I'd love to repay my motherland country and play for Samoa really fit and healthy. But in saying that I'm taking it week by week. My focus is playing for the Raiders and the Maroons at the moment."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

As long as Josh continues to play for the Raiders and Queensland, it doesn't bother me where his international allegiances lie.

Go with your heart, big fella.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: June 19, 2019, 5:20 pm As long as Josh continues to play for the Raiders and Queensland, it doesn't bother me where his international allegiances lie.

Go with your heart, big fella.
Yep, Raiders and dabble in maroon 3 times a year..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Samoa mean no Queensland?
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If think players have 20yrs to make a decision.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Zip Zip wrote:Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Samoa mean no Queensland?
You’re wrong
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You are supposed to make yourself available for Australia to play Origin. If you’re not required by Australia, you can play for two tier countries. There were also arrangements for World Cups which allow players to play for Tier 2 countries. So if he makes a permanent switch... no Origin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:
You are supposed to make yourself available for Australia to play Origin. If you’re not required by Australia, you can play for two tier countries. There were also arrangements for World Cups which allow players to play for Tier 2 countries. So if he makes a permanent switch... no Origin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The people in charge should pull him from Origin immediately Image

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I just hope if he does play for Samoa again, it isn’t the fat camp it was last time he and BJ found the buffet....
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Zip Zip wrote: June 19, 2019, 6:07 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Samoa mean no Queensland?
Samoa, that's in QLD. Qlds everywhere.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: June 20, 2019, 5:26 pm
Zip Zip wrote: June 19, 2019, 6:07 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Samoa mean no Queensland?
Just like Toowoomba is in NSW. *cough cough* Peter Sterling
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

State of Origin II sold out

The first ever State of Origin in Western Australia is officially sold out.

The last tickets for the historic match, which will be played at Perth’s Optus Stadium on Sunday, June 23, were sold today.

“This is a fantastic result for the game as we take the biggest rivalry in Australian sport to a new stadium and a new frontier,” NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said.

“The game will give a new generation of fans an opportunity to see Origin up close but pleasingly there will be thousands of supporters from NSW and Queensland making the trip to Perth to support their teams.

“I’d like to thank the Western Australian Government as well as Tourism WA for their support in showcasing Origin so successfully.”

More than 12,000 interstate and international visitors will be travelling to Perth, including people travelling from New Zealand, Singapore, the USA and the UK.

West Australian rockers Eskimo Joe will lead the pre-match entertainment extravaganza at Perth Stadium on Sunday.

NRL media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting that the Canberra Raiders overlooked Dale Finucane for their Harold Matthews squad when he lived in Bega as a youngster.

Schoolboy snub lit Finucane's fire: NSW debutant Dale Finucane has played five of the past seven grand finals, but his defining moment came with heartbreaking rejection as a 14-year-old: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 110a5197d5
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:
Tony Carroll
Brad Thorn
Karmichael Hunt

Adrian Lam

Petero

Billy Moore
Greg Inglis
Israel Folau

Just off the top of my head

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: June 20, 2019, 5:48 pm
Don't forget the Bundy boy Ken Nagas. :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote: June 23, 2019, 8:45 am
The Rickman wrote:
Zip Zip wrote: June 19, 2019, 6:07 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t iiSamoa mean no Queensland?
Tony Carroll
Brad Thorn
Karmichael Hunt

Adrian Lam

Petero

Billy Moore
Greg Inglis
Israel Folau

I'll give you a shot at credibility here. Can you name "off the top of your head" a few NSW players born eslewhere? :)
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Funny how much more concerned everyone is about Blake Ferguson’s performance, prior to actually lacing a boot.

He has about 6.5 hours left to keep himself out of trouble. Apart from that, looking forward to him taking some huge carries against classic QLD 7 metre defensive lines.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote: June 23, 2019, 12:23 pm Funny how much more concerned everyone is about Blake Ferguson’s performance, prior to actually lacing a boot.

He has about 6.5 hours left to keep himself out of trouble. Apart from that, looking forward to him taking some huge carries against classic QLD 7 metre defensive lines.
Word is he's catching up with Dugan for pre-game lunch.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: June 23, 2019, 1:09 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 23, 2019, 12:23 pm Funny how much more concerned everyone is about Blake Ferguson’s performance, prior to actually lacing a boot.

Word is he's catching up with Dugan for pre-game lunch.
On a rooftop I assume.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
Tony Carroll
Brad Thorn
Karmichael Hunt

Adrian Lam

Petero

Billy Moore
Greg Inglis
Israel Folau

Well... just off the “top of my head”...

THE NSW ‘IMPORTS’

1. Ken Nagas (Bundaberg)
2. James McManus (Scotland)
3. John Hopoate (Tonga)
4. Timana Tahu (Melbourne)
5. Hazem El Masri (Lebanon)
6. Peter Wallace (Melbourne)
7. Peter Sterling (Toowoomba)
8. Dean Pay (Melbourne)
9. Ben Elias (Lebanon)
10. Justine Poore (Bunbury, WA)
11. Ian Roberts (London)
12. Willie Mason (Auckland)
13. Mario Fenech (Malta)

Interchange: James Tamou (New Zealand), Craig Polla-Mounter (Ipswich Grammar, via Melbourne)

New South Wales is everywhere.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Craig Polla Mounter haha
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote:
dubby wrote: June 23, 2019, 8:45 am
The Rickman wrote:
Zip Zip wrote: June 19, 2019, 6:07 pm Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t iiSamoa mean no Queensland?
Tony Carroll
Brad Thorn
Karmichael Hunt

Adrian Lam

Petero

Billy Moore
Greg Inglis
Israel Folau

I'll give you a shot at credibility here. Can you name "off the top of your head" a few NSW players born eslewhere? :)
Sterling, Tamou (thanks sticky), Elias, Mason.......um....Brad Clyde and any ACT born player which I think you were alluding to

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:
dubby wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
Tony Carroll
Brad Thorn
Karmichael Hunt

Adrian Lam

Petero

Billy Moore
Greg Inglis
Israel Folau

Well... just off the “top of my head”...

THE NSW ‘IMPORTS’

1. Ken Nagas (Bundaberg)
2. James McManus (Scotland)
3. John Hopoate (Tonga)
4. Timana Tahu (Melbourne)
5. Hazem El Masri (Lebanon)
6. Peter Wallace (Melbourne)
7. Peter Sterling (Toowoomba)
8. Dean Pay (Melbourne)
9. Ben Elias (Lebanon)
10. Justine Poore (Bunbury, WA)
11. Ian Roberts (London)
12. Willie Mason (Auckland)
13. Mario Fenech (Malta)

Interchange: James Tamou (New Zealand), Craig Polla-Mounter (Ipswich Grammar, via Melbourne)

New South Wales is everywhere.
Top of your head?

LOL! Nickgoogleman!! I had to search that myself!! Image Image

Where on earth did those players play their first game?

You toads are pathetic.

Folau and Inglis are as blue as you'll get

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

My whole point is that this happens both ways, it’s not a one way street.

No need to throw the toys out of the cot and start calling people names when you’re proven wrong. VERY unbecoming of a so-called Admin of this forum
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:My whole point is that this happens both ways, it’s not a one way street.

No need to throw the toys out of the cot and start calling people names when you’re proven wrong. VERY unbecoming of a so-called Admin of this forum
Huh? Name calling? Nickgoogleman? Come on now.

You're comparing Inglis and Folau who are so bluntly not qld it's obvious to anyone with only one head to Sterling who was born in Toowoomba, moved to Wagga at what, a babys age, played ALL his footy in nsw?
Elias played all his footy in nsw too.

Hell, the blatant selective bias you toads come up with is ridiculous

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

(Enrique this is all origin banter, man. The other so called admin known as Fergus is the worst for it. Just ask Dr Zauis)

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha of course, the old “Fergus is completely unreasonable at Origin time yet perfectly balanced the rest of the year when it comes to the raiders” shtick

Never gets old