2019 State of Origin I: Queensland V New South Wales

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
8%
Maroons 1-12
46%
Blues 1-12
38%
Blues 13+
8%

Total votes: 13

edwahu

Re: 2019 State of Origin I: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by edwahu »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:05 pm
edwahu wrote:
afgtnk wrote: June 5, 2019, 9:59 pm Wighton will cop a lot of flack for that pass but the fact is that QLD winning was always envitable here

They've had all the momentum and have been the best side comfortably
Yep. Arrogant performance from the Blues after half time I reckon.
Huh? Arrogant? They haven't had the ball and have been completely outplayed.
Maybe arrogant is the wrong word, but I thought they came out at half time expecting it to go the same way as the first half and didn't expect QLD to lift. The middle in particular got dominated by Papalii and Arrow.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Cleary continued his club form
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dusty wrote:I was always worried that NSW were a Prop short.

With that said Fittler’s rotations were horrible. Did Klemmer play in the second half?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I'm not sure if he came back on? But they sure missed his go forward. Maybe McLean in for Crichton or Murray in game 2?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The Rickman wrote:
Ezy wrote: June 5, 2019, 3:16 pm Queenslanders didn't deserve the team they had over the last 10+ years, but they will deserve the spankings they receive in this 2019 series.

NSW by 20.
Oh man, this game just got all the more sweeter.

God I hope the NSW team thinks the same way as you do.
It’s posts like these that make Origin all the sweeter.

That scoreline absolutely flattered NSW, if we passed to Gagai more we would’ve won that game by 30.

Can’t wait to see NSW completely change their whole team again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Unfortunately Wighton will be dropped but he was the only NSW player who looked like breaking through. He looked far more dangerous than Walker.

Cotric wasn’t given many opportunities but was solid.

Papa was awesome, such a strong performance especially in his second stint. Ricky needs to play Papa for more minutes in our games. Papa gets better the more he is out there

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Jacks pass doesnt compare to mitchells sin bin or tedescos lost ball, or walkers invisibility. If he misses out its only because the injuries that let him in the team have recovered.
Same with Cotric. He's in because other players are injured. If they recover, he'll likely miss out.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:15 pm
edwahu wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:13 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:08 pm Angus Crichton should be blacklisted
Did he play?
He's a Sydney media darling. Offers nothing at this level. NSW need another big middle forward instead of him wasting a bench spot.
The **** played about 1000 minutes, he’s literally the go-to player for absolutely no reason.

Laurie Daley esq selection
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Cotric didnt get much opportunity cause he had that massive ball hog Morris on his inside.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

yeh raiders wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:20 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:15 pm
edwahu wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:13 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:08 pm Angus Crichton should be blacklisted
Did he play?
He's a Sydney media darling. Offers nothing at this level. NSW need another big middle forward instead of him wasting a bench spot.
The **** played about 1000 minutes, he’s literally the go-to player for absolutely no reason.

Laurie Daley esq selection
Joe Picker mk2
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Unfortunately, I don’t think Jack will ever be picked in origin again. He’ll be remembered for that pass forever.

But **** me, Cleary, Mitchell and Addo-Carr is where all the blame for tonight should land. They were putrid.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Feel for Jack. That was a silly, silly play. I hope it doesn’t cost him his jersey.

Cotric held his own

What did Papalii have at half time. He was the catalyst in the huge defensive set inside the blues 30m. That was where QLD won the game
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lucky wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:15 pm Predictable result.... the QLD underdogs were always gonna fire up and sneak home in front of a capacity crowd.
No doubt Wighton will be the scapegoat.... he will be dropped for ultimately costing NSW the game with that intercept pass. It was such a raiders play.... 2 on 1 overlap and he manages to **** it up.
I take it you predicted this very thing before the game then? :lol:

Sorry, that's a rhetorical question in case you were wondering.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

woppadingo wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:20 pm Jacks pass doesnt compare to mitchells sin bin or tedescos lost ball, or walkers invisibility. If he misses out its only because the injuries that let him in the team have recovered.
Same with Cotric. He's in because other players are injured. If they recover, he'll likely miss out.
Problem with Wighton on the bench is how to use him if there's no injury. Tonight it meant chopping and changing halves which rarely works.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Poor Jack, he's a confidence player, and that will put a huge dent in it. Hopefully he bounces back strong for us, just for having a being involved with an origin type event. But really, it could go either way from here.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Lucky wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:20 pm Cotric didnt get much opportunity cause he had that massive ball hog Morris on his inside.
Yeah, I was thinking Morris seemed allergic to passing tonight.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

raiderskater wrote:
Lucky wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:20 pm Cotric didnt get much opportunity cause he had that massive ball hog Morris on his inside.
Very lucky he scored that try, Cotric was wide open

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:21 pm
Lucky wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:15 pm Predictable result.... the QLD underdogs were always gonna fire up and sneak home in front of a capacity crowd.
No doubt Wighton will be the scapegoat.... he will be dropped for ultimately costing NSW the game with that intercept pass. It was such a raiders play.... 2 on 1 overlap and he manages to **** it up.
I take it you predicted this very thing before the game then? :lol:

Sorry, that's a rhetorical question in case you were wondering.
yeh I predicted it would be a 4 point margin.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Begbie wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:23 pm Poor Jack, he's a confidence player, and that will put a huge dent in it. Hopefully he bounces back strong for us, just for having a being involved with an origin type event. But really, it could go either way from here.
Yeah, I really hope he knows that it's not his fault, and is okay. Or he gets another Croker pep talk ala 2016.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

raiderskater wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:26 pm
Morris try should have been Cotric strolling over untouched. JMoz nearly butchered it.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Really, you have to give credit to the QLD defensive line here, because there was no legitimate chance for Morris to pass without the swooping cover taking him out- except of course for the try he scored. No issue with Morris or his passing, pleny of othe avenues to expore - please look to halves! Or LEFT edge defense.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:28 pm
Morris try should have been Cotric strolling over untouched. JMoz nearly butchered it.
Yes, agree, but seeing as he scored let focus on the halves and the left edge who offered nothing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Begbie wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:30 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:28 pm
Yes, agree, but seeing as he scored let focus on the halves and the left edge who offered nothing.
Halves were garbage but I'd keep Walker and put A-Rey in there. Go for the club combo. Cleary was pretty average last year and even worse this one. It's only performance of his teammates that saw them win last series. He struggles at this level.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Queensland just had more heart tonight. Papalii, Arrow, McGuire and Fifita absolutely dominated the NSW forwards in that 2nd half. A few pea-hearted performances from Blues players tonight - Vaughan, Cordner, Crichton, Mitchell and Addo-Carr with special mentions in that category.

Also, Dane Gagai is the modern day Bobby Lindner. Goes good at club level but is an 11/10 at Origin level.
Last edited by Wiki Special on June 5, 2019, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Very disappointing second half from the blues. Need to fix the left hand side defence, get more pressure from the short kicking game, and bring that Origin intensity for the full 80 minutes. Only changes I’d make would be Matterson in for Crighton (which I advocated for prior to this game), and find a place in the backline for Turbo (I’d probably drop Morris). I think people on here are making too much of the Wighton/Gagai intercept... Wighton did well to create a 2-on-1, it was just a good play from Gagai. And yeah Wighton is a confidence player... but he’s made a bunch of errors this year and he’s still in career best form. He provided good energy off the bench tonight.

Walker was quiet but halves often are in their first Origin. He’ll be better for the run.

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Begbie wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:29 pm
Really, you have to give credit to the QLD defensive line here, because there was no legitimate chance for Morris to pass without the swooping cover taking him out- except of course for the try he scored. No issue with Morris or his passing, pleny of othe avenues to expore - please look to halves! Or LEFT edge defense.
Oh look, I'm 100% in agreement with your last line, there were a whole lotta players stinking it up out there, and they won't be dropped.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!

Dane Gagai is the official man of the match!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

raiderskater wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:27 pm
Begbie wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:23 pm Poor Jack, he's a confidence player, and that will put a huge dent in it. Hopefully he bounces back strong for us, just for having a being involved with an origin type event. But really, it could go either way from here.
Yeah, I really hope he knows that it's not his fault, and is okay. Or he gets another Croker pep talk ala 2016.
He’s a grown man and a professional footballer ****. He doesn’t need a hug or a pep talk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

DCE speaks like a polite kid with a head injury
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Qld will win the series 3 zip
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

They got MotM right which is a shock. Rarely give it to a winger
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Yes, 100% on clearly and said so at the time. Maybe this is the game we need to flush him out. Adam Reyonlds is a player who came to my mind tonight as well. Can't believe his inclusion after he got found out at Penny this year. Surely the final death knell?
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:37 pm DCE speaks like a polite kid with a head injury
He speaks like he is delivering a TAFE 101 Trade commuications with client course assessment.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

Begbie wrote: June 5, 2019, 10:38 pm Yes, 100% on clealy and said so at the time. Maybe this is the game we need to flush him out. Adam Reyonlds is a player who came to my mind tonight as well. Can't believe his inclusion after he got found out at Penny this year. Surely the final death knell?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Like the Raiders in the 1989 Grand Final, Queensland were the better team in the first half, yet they trailed 8-0. They they came out and showed the Blues who was really the better team in the second half! What a win for Queensland! The Blues are always favourites in Origin, but the Queensland spirit prevails yet again!

QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

3. Billy Slater
2. Briggs
1. Alfie Langer
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018