2019 NSW Origin team

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

2019 NSW Origin team

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Since there is a lot of talk around Wighton, Croker and Cotric as chances for Origin, I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on their favoured NSW Origin team for Game 1. Mine is as follows:

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Cotric
5. Ferguson
6. Walker
7. Keary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Cordner
12. Frizell
13. Trbojevic

14. Haas
15. Murray
16. Radley
17. Wighton

If more size is needed I'd be tempted to have somebody like Lodge, or even TPJ for a short impact stint, instead of Murray or Radley. I'd want to keep Radley though due to his versatility/ability to play hooker. Crichton would probably be favoured due to being in the squad last year but he's not necessarily the best option.

Despite naming six rep debutants, QLD are still transitioning from the Smith/Slater/Cronk/Thurston/GI era and now is the time to blood new players imo. All the guys named can handle the challenge.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NSW Origin team

Post by Northern Raider »

Only 1 prop on the bench. I think you're overloaded on utility value there. How do you get Radley and Murray into the game when Trbojevich should play 60+ minutes?

Starting pack is a given plus Teddy and Latrell are inked in. After that it's surprising how many spots are up for grabs for a team coming off a series win.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Tedesco
Addo Carr
Mitchell
Wighton
Cotric
Walker
Keary
Klemmer
Cook
McLean
Cordner
Frizell
Murray

Peachey
Sims
Trbojevic
Vaughan

* Tom Trbojevic is straight in when fit.
* McLean probably starts simply because Vaughan is brilliant off the bench.
* Jake Trbojevic is our best forward but I think he holds together the team nicely as the first substitute with a long, long stint split by half time.
* Blake Ferguson fails my more likely test. I deem him more likely to lose you a game of origin through some herp derp play than to win you one.
* An iffy halves pairing but none of the genuine halfbacks have put their hands up.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: May 22, 2019, 8:12 am Only 1 prop on the bench. I think you're overloaded on utility value there. How do you get Radley and Murray into the game when Trbojevich should play 60+ minutes?
If you look at the NSW teams for games 1, 2 and 3 last year, the interchange set up was 14. Prop 15. Lock 16. Second rower 17. Utility. I've basically just done the same with my team but opted for Radley (who can play second row too) rather than Crichton. It is a smaller side to last year but I've gone with mobility, and if size is needed I'd swap TPJ for Murray or Radley depending on what's required. Didn't consider McLean though when selecting my side, he could also add value.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:35 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 22, 2019, 8:12 am Only 1 prop on the bench. I think you're overloaded on utility value there. How do you get Radley and Murray into the game when Trbojevich should play 60+ minutes?
If you look at the NSW teams for games 1, 2 and 3 last year, the interchange set up was 14. Prop 15. Lock 16. Second rower 17. Utility. I've basically just done the same with my team but opted for Radley (who can play second row too) rather than Crichton. It is a smaller side to last year but I've gone with mobility, and if size is needed I'd swap TPJ for Murray or Radley depending on what's required. Didn't consider McLean though when selecting my side, he could also add value.
True but one of those bench players was Trbojevich who is a lock/prop hybrid (like McGuire). Neither Murray nor Radley fit that criteria and IMO are too similar. I just think the bench you named would be tricky to utilise in standard rotation as you effectively have 3 x locks in the team.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yeah I think it will be 1 of Murray and Radley. Going on Fittlers comments and Radley being forced into dummy half I think it will be Murray.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The way you'd fit them both in the side I named is to play Radley as a second hooker to give Cook a spell and Murray would be included in the middle rotation alongside Haas. But that's not the only way forward either.

Last year, Crichton came on mid game at second row with Frizell moving to the middle if I'm not mistaken. My set up has Murray instead, meaning both Cordner and Frizell can play 80min on an edge without a stint in the middle.

I don't think it's hard to fit them all in considering Radley can slot in to three positions and Wighton can be inserted anywhere in the backline. I'd argue that my set up actually allows for the most flexibility as far as rotating players goes.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

In saying that though I agree that the most likely scenario is one of the two being named in the 17, with Radley the more likely candidate. I think we will see the other make the squad as 18th or 19th man.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

1. James Tedesco
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Nick Cotric
5. Blake Ferguson (ugh)
6. Cody Walker (worried about his defence though)
7. Luke Keary
8. Paul Vaughan
9. Damien Cook
10. David Klemmer
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Jack Wighton
15. Cam Murray
16. Angus Chricton
17. Jordan McLean

18. Tariq Sims
19. Payne Haas
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Well they won’t be giving Cook a ‘breather’ to give a lock a crack at hooker.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

1. James Tedesco
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Jack Wighton
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Cody Walker
7. Luke Keary
8. Paul Vaughan
9. Damien Cook
10. David Klemmer
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Tyson Frizell
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Victor Radley
15. Cam Murray
16. Payne Haas
17. Jordan McLean
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I love how you're all dropping Nathan Cleary. It'll be absolutely fantastic if NSW completely change their halves, like they did the last time they won a series.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

The Rickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 4:06 pm I love how you're all dropping Nathan Cleary. It'll be absolutely fantastic if NSW completely change their halves, like they did the last time they won a series.
We don't want any advice from a QLDer!

There is absolutely no way NSW pick those halves based on their current standard. It's wishful thinking by you more than poor man management by NSW I reckon! If their form was anything near NRL standard they would be picked on principle but that absolutely isn't the case here. Cleary might survive because he is young and to prove a point but it's absurd that a bloke playing like he is should be selected to play in a game of that standard just to prove a point.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

On form Mitchell Pearce will be picked before Nathan Cleary..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: May 22, 2019, 5:35 pm On form Mitchell Pearce will be picked before Nathan Cleary..
Please, please, please God... PLEASE make this happen!!
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

NSW Origin team

Post by RTW »

My squad

1. Tedesco
2. Ado Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Ramien
5. Cotric
6. Walker
7. Keary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Cordner
12. Frizzel
13. Finucane

14. Murray
15. Matterson
16. Jake T
17. Maclaen
18. Haas
19. Wighton

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:46 pm Well they won’t be giving Cook a ‘breather’ to give a lock a crack at hooker.
That's just one way forward, he could just be included as part of the middle rotation. But he gets the job done at hooker, he was good there in those few games for the Roosters when Friend was out. I can cop that my team is a bit light but as I said, I'd just replace one of the locks with a guy like TPJ or maybe McLean, possibly even Lodge.
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

My squad

1. Tedesco
2. Ado Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Cotric
5. Ferguson
6. Walker
7. Keary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. McClean
11. Cordner
12. Frizzel
13. Jake T

14. Murray
15. Vaughan
16. Haas
17. Wighton
18. Materson
19. Croker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Jinxed wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:46 pm My squad

1. Tedesco
2. Ado Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Cotric
5. Ferguson
6. Walker
7. Keary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. McClean
11. Cordner
12. Frizzel
13. Jake T

14. Murray
15. Vaughan
16. Haas
17. Wighton
18. Materson
19. Croker

I like this side
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

Raiders_Pat wrote:

1. Tedesco
2. Ado Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Cotric
5. Ferguson
6. Walker
7. Keary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. McClean
11. Cordner
12. Frizzel
13. Jake T

14. Murray
15. Vaughan
16. Haas
17. Wighton
18. Materson
19. Croker

I like this side
Thanks mate, still felt dirty picking Fergo

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

My side is Julian’s but with
7. Cleary
14. Walker
Peachey Out

I’ll probably have a different side tomorrow.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Jinxed wrote: May 22, 2019, 10:09 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:

1. Tedesco
2. Ado Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Cotric
5. Ferguson
6. Walker
7. Keary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. McClean
11. Cordner
12. Frizzel
13. Jake T

14. Murray
15. Vaughan
16. Haas
17. Wighton
18. Materson
19. Croker

I like this side
Thanks mate, still felt dirty picking Fergo

Same but I can't deny that it's looking like the best option. I'd swap him straight out for Trbojevic once he's back though.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

1. Tedesco
2. Ado Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Wighton
5. Cotric
6. Walker
7. Keary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. McLean
11. Cordner
12. Crichton
13. Jake T

14. Murray
15. Vaughan
16. Haas
17. Radley

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sid
Ricky Stuart

NSW Origin team

Post by Sid »

Not sure that I’d be real keen on an Asiata or a Matterson being picked but I can see something like that happening

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Mitchell
4. Wighton
5. Ferguson
6. Keary
7. Cleary
8. Klemmer
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Cordner
12. Sims
13. Frizell
14. Trbojevic
15. Haas
16. Matterson
17. Murray

I’d drop Maloney for Keary - Maloney plays too loose (missed tackles, errors, penalties etc) and bring in Keary who deserves a shot after a stellar second half of 2018 which he’s continued through to now.

I think it’s madness to drop Cleary... he and Keary are our best shot of having a stable halves pairing capable of leading the blues for at least the next 3-4 years.

I’d also drop RCG for Haas and Crighton for Matterson. Matterson has better utility value and I’d argue is a better second rower anyway. Crighton was disappointing in the series last year.

Haas deserves a shot despite his inexperience.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

the bone wrote:
I think it’s madness to drop Cleary... he and Keary are our best shot of having a stable halves pairing capable of leading the blues for at least the next 3-4 years.
Agreed with you 100%, Boney. But god I hope the nsw selectors agree with the rest of these clowns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

The Rickman wrote: May 23, 2019, 8:50 am
the bone wrote:
Agreed with you 100%, Boney. But god I hope the nsw selectors agree with the rest of these clowns.

Ha ha no you don't. I will not stand for a QLDer trying to ScoMo us. Nope not this week :cmon
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: May 23, 2019, 9:55 am
the bone wrote:

Ha ha no you don't. I will not stand for a QLDer trying to ScoMo us. Nope not this week :cmon
I'm not kidding, Keary and Cleary are your best halves, just last year they were talking about building the team around Cleary.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, there's so many series where Greg Inglis went in massively underdone and then tore NSW a new one.

This is a massive part of the reason NSW just don't get Origin. You change both halves again, you lose this year. Queensland is starting to settle on what their side is going to look like, post-Cronk/Slater/Smith/Thurston, although there are question marks regarding hooker this year.

NSW just seems to still be dicking around with their halves.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I really think Freddie will go with Keary and Cleary for the halves this year and IF there's a bit of success NSW could well finally have their spine locked in for the next handful of years

1. Tedesco
6. Keary
7. Cleary
9. Cook

as far as dicking around with the halves goes I think pretty much everyone agrees it'd a big mistake to choose incumbent Maloney over debutant Keary this year

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Rickman wrote: May 23, 2019, 10:18 am
Woodgers wrote: May 23, 2019, 9:55 am
the bone wrote:

I'm not kidding, Keary and Cleary are your best halves, just last year they were talking about building the team around Cleary.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, there's so many series where Greg Inglis went in massively underdone and then tore NSW a new one.

This is a massive part of the reason NSW just don't get Origin. You change both halves again, you lose this year. Queensland is starting to settle on what their side is going to look like, post-Cronk/Slater/Smith/Thurston, although there are question marks regarding hooker this year.

NSW just seems to still be dicking around with their halves.
I agree with that, I'd stick with Cleary, his defense is better than A Reynolds and while Cody Walker has been terrific for souths and close to the best in the comp i'm not sure his game is that suited to Origin
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Cleary I can give a bit of leeway to, but he's playing reserve grade standard football and has been all year. The comparison to Inglis isn't apples and apples, you're talking about a young bloke with absolutely shot confidence trying to steer a State team around in the toughest RL environment vs probably the greatest centre the game has seen in the past 2 decades playing a much easier role where his physical attributes always gave him an edge on anyone he matched up against. It isn't even close to the same.

I will never buy this notion "NSW just don't get origin". NSW has been in a position for a decade where the halves were always going to be the whipping boys for a team that was clearly nowhere near the quality of the opposition. It didn't matter who played and NSW tried everything possible to stop the rot but it was futile and many of us were stating that on here throughout that period. But this absolutely absurd notion that gets peddled from QLDers that they have some moral authority over how to win Origin because they stuck with basically the Australian team made up of future immortals for the past 10 years is hilarious. Of course you pick and stick with players like Thurston, Smith, Cronk, Slater, Inglis, Lockyer, Parker, Civoniceva, Scott etc etc. People ignore the ones like say Willie Tonga, Dane Nielsen, Ben Hannant, Jacob Lilyman type players that popped in and out of the side around the superstars.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: May 23, 2019, 10:41 am I really think Freddie will go with Keary and Cleary for the halves this year and IF there's a bit of success NSW could well finally have their spine locked in for the next handful of years

1. Tedesco
6. Keary
7. Cleary
9. Cook

as far as dicking around with the halves goes I think pretty much everyone agrees it'd a big mistake to choose incumbent Maloney over debutant Keary this year
Absolutely. What you've got here is the spine I believe NSW should pick rain, hail or shine for the next five years.

They won't though haha. Next season "King Gutho" will start the season in career-best form and oust James Tedesco who has started a bit quiet, and they'll wonder where it all went wrong.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

well put Woodgers

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: May 23, 2019, 10:43 am I will never buy this notion "NSW just don't get origin"
That's okay... that's because you just don't get it, m8.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Image Image