2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7249
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by gergreg » May 16, 2019, 10:14 pm


The Rickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 9:27 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Storm have left last week's effort in the sheds. Off their game tonight.
Nah, it’s just because the refs are finally cracking down on them

‘Bout time too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has anyone ever told you... you know... you really are a jerk? :hi

Maybe just terribly naive?

Or maybe you just like to deliberately ignore reputable academic and other analysis.
Or maybe... and bear with me here... I’m able to watch games without a ridiculous bias (some might even call it unconscious) against and towards certain teams depending on whether or not their jersey is lime green?

Nah, you’re right, I’m just a jerk... it’s clearly the referees at fault, as always


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's a very difficult concept to grasp. Annesley specifically calling out the Melbourne Storm as deliberately slowing down the ruck, compared to every other side in the competition and then coincidentally the referees penalise the Melbourne Storm for deliberately slowing down the ruck. And even more difficult to grasp that this sequence, of Annesley naming sides and then that particular side being penalised heavily the very next weekend, has occurred repeatedly this year. It's amazing.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25934
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 10:16 pm

He's not belittling you. He's belittling your Bull.
MAJOR difference.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127413
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 16, 2019, 10:23 pm

No. I have opinions that are well researched and well balanced. I know when I'm being belittled as a person. And it isn't much fun to realise that the people doing it... well you thought you they were a friend.
Image

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25934
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 10:26 pm

They aren't balanced. That's the point. Again, not belittling you personally, belittling your Bull tin foil hat.
Real friends arent afraid to call out their friends Bull.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127413
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 16, 2019, 10:28 pm

I disagree with you view.
Image

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25934
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 10:35 pm

That's probably because you're overly sensitive and no used to having people call you out for trash.
If i have a trash take, people go at it... that's how thing thing works. I dont believe anyone (or at least very few) are out there going at people personally. So if you're taking disagreements with POV's as personnel affronts... time to step back and reevaluate

No one on this site thinks anything negative about you personally. It's just your trash takes we take issue with! And honestly, being real... this one is SUPPPPPPER trash.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 16, 2019, 10:39 pm

greeneyed wrote:No. I have opinions that are well researched and well balanced. I know when I'm being belittled as a person. And it isn't much fun to realise that the people doing it... well you thought you they were a friend.
Mate, there’s absolutely no WAY I’m belittling you as a person, I think you’re a wonderful guy and honestly consider you a friend. My fiancé has met you on several occasions, and she also shares my opinion that you’re a lovely person, I’m genuinely upset to feel that you think I’m having a crack at your person here, I really do see you as a friend, if my actions point to anything otherwise, I am deeply sorry and I do apologise.

Saying all that, I think your opinions on referees is utterly ridiculous and that why I call you out on it. Pigman is also a very close friend of mine, and I think he’ll call it true and straight down the line that I’m the same with ALL of my friends, if I see something out of line, I’ll call it, doesn’t mean I think less of them as a mate, and he’s exactly the same.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10073
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by gangrenous » May 16, 2019, 10:43 pm

I agree with you GE.

It’s ironic how when pigman has tried to show how independent his view of the game is and highlights large errors in favour of the Raiders, well he’s been wrong.

Remember when he tried to tell us the Cronulla game linesman farce was legit? Good times.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127413
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 16, 2019, 10:43 pm

@Pigman What... you think that a large body of evidence in serious academic journals about unrecognised bias in sports officiating is "super trash"? All I have pointed out is that this exists. And I've been ridiculed for doing so. Sorry, but that exists.

You think that when Graham Annesley points out that the Melbourne Storm is one of the offenders for slowing down the play the ball... but fails to point out they have not been penalised... so you think that is "super trash"?

This is entirely evidence based... and frankly, I don't think I deserve the constant barrage of sarcasm in relation to it. So I'll continue to stand up for myself on it.
Image

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25934
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 11:00 pm

gangrenous wrote:
May 16, 2019, 10:43 pm
I agree with you GE.
STOP THE PRESSERS!
Remember how every time the raiders loss the ref has a bad game but when we win mums the word

Good times. Every day week
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127413
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 16, 2019, 11:01 pm

The Rickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 10:39 pm
greeneyed wrote:No. I have opinions that are well researched and well balanced. I know when I'm being belittled as a person. And it isn't much fun to realise that the people doing it... well you thought you they were a friend.
Mate, there’s absolutely no WAY I’m belittling you as a person, I think you’re a wonderful guy and honestly consider you a friend. My fiancé has met you on several occasions, and she also shares my opinion that you’re a lovely person, I’m genuinely upset to feel that you think I’m having a crack at your person here, I really do see you as a friend, if my actions point to anything otherwise, I am deeply sorry and I do apologise.

Saying all that, I think your opinions on referees is utterly ridiculous and that why I call you out on it. Pigman is also a very close friend of mine, and I think he’ll call it true and straight down the line that I’m the same with ALL of my friends, if I see something out of line, I’ll call it, doesn’t mean I think less of them as a mate, and he’s exactly the same.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nickman... thanks for your apology (I think, maybe, given the big qualifier). If you want to call me out on my views on sports officiating, that's fine... but is there a reason to do it in the way you do? Just a question...

Can I put it another way? If we're at the pub, and you get stuck into me like that, I might come back and get stuck into you too. And it'll be good natured and fun. I'll always enjoy a beer with you. But even for me, it's not been feeling like fun to me here...

And btw... your finace is certainly a lovely person!
Image

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25934
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 11:02 pm

greeneyed wrote:
May 16, 2019, 10:43 pm
This is entirely evidence based... and frankly, I don't think I deserve the constant barrage of sarcasm in relation to it. So I'll continue to stand up for myself on it.
You don’t always get what you want, but sometimes... YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED!
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127413
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 16, 2019, 11:05 pm

PigRickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 11:02 pm
greeneyed wrote:
May 16, 2019, 10:43 pm
This is entirely evidence based... and frankly, I don't think I deserve the constant barrage of sarcasm in relation to it. So I'll continue to stand up for myself on it.
You don’t always get what you want, but sometimes... YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED!
I don't need it or deserve it.
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 16, 2019, 11:16 pm

greeneyed wrote:@Pigman What... you think that a large body of evidence in serious academic journals about unrecognised bias in sports officiating is "super trash"? All I have pointed out is that this exists. And I've been ridiculed for doing so. Sorry, but that exists.

You think that when Graham Annesley points out that the Melbourne Storm is one of the offenders for slowing down the play the ball... but fails to point out they have not been penalised... so you think that is "super trash"?

This is entirely evidence based... and frankly, I don't think I deserve the constant barrage of sarcasm in relation to it. So I'll continue to stand up for myself on it.
Ok, so there’s so much to unpack here, so I’m going to do this in separate posts. This is post 1/2

Nobody is saying that unconscious bias doesn’t exist. Every example you provided recently is spot on, as an example, referees ABSOLUTELY give a home ground advantage based on the level of fans’ support, and Pigman himself even conceded this fact

Another evidence of this is when the penalty count blows out to 10-1, you will almost invariably see a “square up” in the penalties, even though the referees are not supposed to do that any more

Unconscious bias ABSOLUTELY exists, but for you guys to be continually peddling that it’s against certain teams and we’re hard done by it because of it is ludicrous, and you need to stop

Put simply, the teams that show up every week determined to play are the ones that win, and we’ve 100% shown that this year. And the last two seasons when we haven’t made the finals is NOT due to referees or unconscious bias, but simply because we HAVEN’T shown up with the attitude and commitment of this season, which is a damned shame


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127413
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 16, 2019, 11:17 pm

The Rickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 11:16 pm
greeneyed wrote:@Pigman What... you think that a large body of evidence in serious academic journals about unrecognised bias in sports officiating is "super trash"? All I have pointed out is that this exists. And I've been ridiculed for doing so. Sorry, but that exists.

You think that when Graham Annesley points out that the Melbourne Storm is one of the offenders for slowing down the play the ball... but fails to point out they have not been penalised... so you think that is "super trash"?

This is entirely evidence based... and frankly, I don't think I deserve the constant barrage of sarcasm in relation to it. So I'll continue to stand up for myself on it.
Ok, so there’s so much to unpack here, so I’m going to do this in separate posts. This is post 1/2

Nobody is saying that unconscious bias doesn’t exist. Every example you provided recently is spot on, as an example, referees ABSOLUTELY give a home ground advantage based on the level of fans’ support, and Pigman himself even conceded this fact

Another evidence of this is when the penalty count blows out to 10-1, you will almost invariably see a “square up” in the penalties, even though the referees are not supposed to do that any more

Unconscious bias ABSOLUTELY exists, but for you guys to be continually peddling that it’s against certain teams and we’re hard done by it because of it is ludicrous, and you need to stop

Put simply, the teams that show up every week determined to play are the ones that win, and we’ve 100% shown that this year. And the last two seasons when we haven’t made the finals is NOT due to referees or unconscious bias, but simply because we HAVEN’T shown up with the attitude and commitment of this season, which is a damned shame


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This reveals you’ve not read a single study. You might read them all and so you can start wearing some long pants.
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 16, 2019, 11:23 pm

Point 2/2: You’re a great guy, I don’t want you to ever think that based on whatever I’m arguing with about you this week on the forum means I don’t like you as a person or respect you. The next time we’re at a football match together I ABSOLUTELY want to catch up for a beer, and chew the proverbial fat.

Online people can come off as harsh, but I genuinely hold no grudges, even absolute ***** like gangrenous and gerg I’d love to catch up with one day for a beer, and I’ve drank with manbush a few times in the past (but please don’t tell the authorities that)

There’s genuinely only one person on this entire forum that I have an issue with (trolls aside), and that because every single one of his opinions about every single thing regarding morality and human decency is a polar opposite of my own... but again, each to his own.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 16, 2019, 11:27 pm

greeneyed wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 11:16 pm
greeneyed wrote:@Pigman What... you think that a large body of evidence in serious academic journals about unrecognised bias in sports officiating is "super trash"? All I have pointed out is that this exists. And I've been ridiculed for doing so. Sorry, but that exists.

You think that when Graham Annesley points out that the Melbourne Storm is one of the offenders for slowing down the play the ball... but fails to point out they have not been penalised... so you think that is "super trash"?

This is entirely evidence based... and frankly, I don't think I deserve the constant barrage of sarcasm in relation to it. So I'll continue to stand up for myself on it.
Ok, so there’s so much to unpack here, so I’m going to do this in separate posts. This is post 1/2

Nobody is saying that unconscious bias doesn’t exist. Every example you provided recently is spot on, as an example, referees ABSOLUTELY give a home ground advantage based on the level of fans’ support, and Pigman himself even conceded this fact

Another evidence of this is when the penalty count blows out to 10-1, you will almost invariably see a “square up” in the penalties, even though the referees are not supposed to do that any more

Unconscious bias ABSOLUTELY exists, but for you guys to be continually peddling that it’s against certain teams and we’re hard done by it because of it is ludicrous, and you need to stop

Put simply, the teams that show up every week determined to play are the ones that win, and we’ve 100% shown that this year. And the last two seasons when we haven’t made the finals is NOT due to referees or unconscious bias, but simply because we HAVEN’T shown up with the attitude and commitment of this season, which is a damned shame


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This reveals you’ve not read a single study. You might read them all and so you can start wearing some long pants.
Mate... nothing is going to make me wear long pants if I don’t have to. I wear shorts and thongs to work, and fortunately for me, I live in a climate that isn’t inhospitable for nine months of the year, so I can wear shorts basically all of the time, except for fancy dinners or important meetings


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127413
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 16, 2019, 11:30 pm

Unrecognised or unconscious bias... a critical element of it relates to unconscious favourable treatment to star players/athletes or teams. And I’m not claiming, nor have ever claimed, that this only impacts the Raiders. I’ve never, ever said that. But small clubs like the Raiders, consistent bottom eight teams like the Raiders... they will be, on average, long term, on the wrong side of the calls... based on the reputable academic studies in psychology journals.
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 16, 2019, 11:44 pm

Yeah, and obviously the small club like the Melbourne Storm with their no-name roster suffered due to it tonight


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 16, 2019, 11:57 pm

So guess what, GE? Turns out after all that the Storm won BECAUSE of the refs.

Seems the Raiders aren’t the only ones the nrl hates...

Image


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127413
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 16, 2019, 11:58 pm

The Rickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 11:44 pm
Yeah, and obviously the small club like the Melbourne Storm with their no-name roster suffered due to it tonight


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As discussed earlier.
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 17, 2019, 12:04 am

Hahahahaha so now you’re saying they WON because of the referees?

That’ll do me, goodnight old friend


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7249
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by gergreg » May 17, 2019, 7:17 am

The Rickman wrote:So guess what, GE? Turns out after all that the Storm won BECAUSE of the refs.

Seems the Raiders aren’t the only ones the nrl hates...

Image


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm sure the bunker checked for offside on that try.

I think I'm on the fence in this discussion and take most situations (In football and in life on it's merits). IMO the referees are no different to players. You have your good refs and some which aren't as good, then on any given day any ref can have a good or bad game. Over the years we haven't been a side consistently at the top so we don't normally get appointed the top refs. They seem to be rotating them a little more this year.
But looking back over the years there has been reports that have come out that do indicate that our club hasn't fared well in video ref decisions for example. There has been plenty of times where decisions have gone against our side and referees boss' have come out and said they got it wrong - I don't know if there is a study out on - got it wrong sides. Sure this happens but it seems to go against certain teams more than others. Last year there were at least three games involving the Broncos that had really bad decisions go there way - match winning decisions. The fact that I can remember those and struggle to remember a game where they were on the wrong side of it is telling.

Now what separates the good sides from the bad, and especially highlighted when our side is playing well, is how the team responds to bad decisions. When we are playing well, and the good sides, we/they just get on with it. Accepting the bad decisions and just playing better. I think it partly comes down to the mental preparation for sides. It's obvious that some coaches are able to teach their players how to play smarter (revolutionary I know). And some sides are just completely lacking in any football smarts - we have been guilty of this for many years.

I don't think it's a great stretch to believe that some of the best players and teams get favourable calls go there way, and also non calls going there way. Cam Smith forward passes are a perfect example.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk


Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10073
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by gangrenous » May 17, 2019, 7:29 am

Exactly, gergreg hitting the nail on the head.

User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10073
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by gangrenous » May 17, 2019, 7:52 am

Pigman and Nickman have an argument that sounds fine on paper. And of course the comments in the game day thread on the Greenhouse are going to be biased towards the Raiders and focus more on referee errors against the Raiders.

But that is not mutually exclusive with the notion that the Raiders do in fact get the spiky end of the pineapple more often than the juicy end.

So off the top of my head in the last few years the Raiders have lost a number of close games where a very poor decision handed the game to their opponents:
- we’ve mentioned the Cronulla touchie decision already. Textbook howler of a decision that the flag was ignored by two on field refs and the video ref.
- we had Manly score via a player out of play from the downtown rule
- we had the Titans score from an offside position when the ball rebounded from a player directly behind him.
- we had Penrith set a wall for their match winning field goal

Three of these were also reviewed by the video ref from memory, and flipped the game in the final minute or two. People can probably recall a few more bad ones I’ve missed. So if it’s swings and roundabouts I expect pigman and Nickman should be able to supply us with a number of games where a clear cut incorrect decision decided the game in favour of the Raiders.

On top of clear game deciding decisions. The 50:50s don’t fall 50:50 from what I see.

No one is saying it is impossible to win and overcome poor decisions. But it is obviously much harder, and you need to not just be the better team but the significantly better team.

I wonder if anyone has the stats on sin binning in Raiders games also. Over the last couple of years I think we’ve had quite a lot of sin bins, which I think if we looked would not be anywhere near matched by those of our opponents. For the most parts those sin bins were fair, but I think there are non-calls on the opponents at play.

Finally I’ll recall you all to Jack Wighton being charged to miss the finals in 2016 when Nickman was last on a crusade about how the Raiders are treated no differently. I think T_R said it best:
T_R wrote:I get embarrassed when people bang on about conspiracy theories, and bias and all the rest of it.

But how can you possibly view this any other way?

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25934
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman » May 17, 2019, 8:53 am

gangrenous wrote:
May 17, 2019, 7:52 am
So off the top of my head in the last few years the Raiders have lost a number of close games where a very poor decision handed the game to their opponents:
- we’ve mentioned the Cronulla touchie decision already. Textbook howler of a decision that the flag was ignored by two on field refs and the video ref.
- we had Manly score via a player out of play from the downtown rule
- we had the Titans score from an offside position when the ball rebounded from a player directly behind him.
- we had Penrith set a wall for their match winning field goal
Ok. Now do that same exercise for the other 15 teams.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10073
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by gangrenous » May 17, 2019, 8:57 am

I suspected you couldn’t

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 17, 2019, 10:31 am

gergreg wrote:
May 17, 2019, 7:17 am
The Rickman wrote:So guess what, GE? Turns out after all that the Storm won BECAUSE of the refs.

Seems the Raiders aren’t the only ones the nrl hates...

Image


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm sure the bunker checked for offside on that try.
Haha I wasn't debating the decision, I was just pointing out how fans everywhere blame the referees when their team loses.

We can't ALL be getting ripped off by the refs!!
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 17, 2019, 10:34 am

gangrenous wrote:
May 17, 2019, 7:52 am
Finally I’ll recall you all to Jack Wighton being charged to miss the finals in 2016 when Nickman was last on a crusade about how the Raiders are treated no differently. I think T_R said it best:
T_R wrote: I get embarrassed when people bang on about conspiracy theories, and bias and all the rest of it.

But how can you possibly view this any other way?
Wait a second... in 2016 Jack Wighton got charged with a CLEAR shoulder charge before the semi-final against the Sharks and got LET OFF and played the game!!

This argument does you NO favours gangers hahaha
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 17, 2019, 10:36 am

Seriously gangy, I had to re-read that point several times... you've absolutely lost the plot here if THAT'S your example of how hard-done by the poor old raiders are!
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25934
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman » May 17, 2019, 10:39 am

Cleared thanks to some actual **** chicanery... the sort of thing that if someone was actually treating us differently, might have easily been dismissed for being a technicality and suspended him anyways.
Madness, absolute madness from Gangers.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 25934
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Botman » May 17, 2019, 10:41 am

gangrenous wrote:
May 17, 2019, 8:57 am
I suspected you couldn’t
Hahahah of **** course you do. Christ. What an embarrassment.

Hot tip. YOU can.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44111
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by The Rickman » May 17, 2019, 10:45 am

gangrenous wrote:
May 17, 2019, 7:52 am
Pigman and Nickman have an argument that sounds fine on paper. And of course the comments in the game day thread on the Greenhouse are going to be biased towards the Raiders and focus more on referee errors against the Raiders.

But that is not mutually exclusive with the notion that the Raiders do in fact get the spiky end of the pineapple more often than the juicy end.

So off the top of my head in the last few years the Raiders have lost a number of close games where a very poor decision handed the game to their opponents:
- we’ve mentioned the Cronulla touchie decision already. Textbook howler of a decision that the flag was ignored by two on field refs and the video ref.
- we had Manly score via a player out of play from the downtown rule
- we had the Titans score from an offside position when the ball rebounded from a player directly behind him.
- we had Penrith set a wall for their match winning field goal

Three of these were also reviewed by the video ref from memory, and flipped the game in the final minute or two. People can probably recall a few more bad ones I’ve missed. So if it’s swings and roundabouts I expect pigman and Nickman should be able to supply us with a number of games where a clear cut incorrect decision decided the game in favour of the Raiders.
Ok, I'll bite on this one. Very first game I looked at, was against the Broncos in Round 6. So I logged onto the Broncos forum, go to this very page...

https://www.broncoshq.com/threads/round ... cos.38027/

And here we go:

"We might suck, but we wuz also robbed."

"Fantastic game, we had zero calls go our way and without our 2 main forwards, and still only just lost at the siren.
Jack "bash'em up" Wightons 40/20 looked suss live, the touchy was nowhere near being able to call it. How was Glenn being taken out not a professional foul?
Anyone who starts their usual Bull about our season being over I'll call you out on it. Seibold hasn't done too much wrong."

The very first page of that thread! I'm not going to dedicate any more of my time to this ridiculous notion that we're the only set of fans who thinks they get hard done by, but I guarantee you can produce a similar set of results for every game we've won this year.

*drops mic*
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Sid
Steve Walters
Posts: 7132
Joined: May 15, 2015, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd
Location: Darwin, N.T.

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Sid » May 17, 2019, 2:43 pm

after being misdiagnosed with an acl tear Welch only has a meniscus 4-6 weeks.

That’s good to hear
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7249
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 NRL Round 10 - Teams and Game Day

Post by gergreg » May 17, 2019, 5:08 pm

The Rickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
May 17, 2019, 7:52 am
Pigman and Nickman have an argument that sounds fine on paper. And of course the comments in the game day thread on the Greenhouse are going to be biased towards the Raiders and focus more on referee errors against the Raiders.

But that is not mutually exclusive with the notion that the Raiders do in fact get the spiky end of the pineapple more often than the juicy end.

So off the top of my head in the last few years the Raiders have lost a number of close games where a very poor decision handed the game to their opponents:
- we’ve mentioned the Cronulla touchie decision already. Textbook howler of a decision that the flag was ignored by two on field refs and the video ref.
- we had Manly score via a player out of play from the downtown rule
- we had the Titans score from an offside position when the ball rebounded from a player directly behind him.
- we had Penrith set a wall for their match winning field goal

Three of these were also reviewed by the video ref from memory, and flipped the game in the final minute or two. People can probably recall a few more bad ones I’ve missed. So if it’s swings and roundabouts I expect pigman and Nickman should be able to supply us with a number of games where a clear cut incorrect decision decided the game in favour of the Raiders.
Ok, I'll bite on this one. Very first game I looked at, was against the Broncos in Round 6. So I logged onto the Broncos forum, go to this very page...

https://www.broncoshq.com/threads/round ... cos.38027/

And here we go:

"We might suck, but we wuz also robbed."

"Fantastic game, we had zero calls go our way and without our 2 main forwards, and still only just lost at the siren.
Jack "bash'em up" Wightons 40/20 looked suss live, the touchy was nowhere near being able to call it. How was Glenn being taken out not a professional foul?
Anyone who starts their usual Bull about our season being over I'll call you out on it. Seibold hasn't done too much wrong."

The very first page of that thread! I'm not going to dedicate any more of my time to this ridiculous notion that we're the only set of fans who thinks they get hard done by, but I guarantee you can produce a similar set of results for every game we've won this year.

*drops mic*
I don't know that Broncos fans are a good place to start given that most of them are a product of the QLD education system. Secondly you get Broncos fans complaining about the 7 day turnarounds which has the added bonus of FTA coverage - because they would prefer to attend afternoon/day games - while ignoring the indisputable benefits that consistent turnarounds and FTA coverage brings to their club.
And circling back to my first point it's pretty clear that Raiders fans are just better people all around then any and all Broncos fans.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

Post Reply