2019 NRL Round 4 - Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 NRL Round 4 - Teams and Game Day

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:Josh Dugan looks like the world's fittest ice addict
I didn't think that he could go more bogan, but there you go.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Golden point with Parra winning in the 89th minute is probably our desired result here
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Commentators calling him as Fifita was my highlight of the game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:Feki just awarded a try that was a replica of the Sam Williams no try last week.

As we say, all we want is consistent calls from the video refs.
The key difference was Feki actually getting his hands on the ball with downward pressure, rather than diving straight over the top of it.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
BJ wrote:Feki just awarded a try that was a replica of the Sam Williams no try last week.

The key difference was Feki actually getting his hands on the ball with downward pressure, rather than diving straight over the top of it.

You didn’t see the side on bobble angle?

Do you have 4K TV?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Do you have 4K TV?
Yes and no. Is this Williams 'no try' one we'll be talking about all year to highlight the bunker is against us? We as a group need to let it go. It wasn't a try and didn't have a bearing on the result.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
BJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:

Do you have 4K TV?
Yes and no. Is this Williams 'no try' one we'll be talking about all year to highlight the bunker is against us? We as a group need to let it go. It wasn't a try and didn't have a bearing on the result.

Your totally missing my point. I have said all along that Williams was a no try. Your making up an argument in your own head.

It’s just that other tries being awarded are no try as well. I want better consistency in the video ref decisions.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

And the point I'm trying to make is that when Joe Bloggs scores a try in round 22 which looks a little suspicious some Raiders fan will... 'but, but Sam Williams was disallowed a try exactly like that in round dickety doo...'. Let's move on from it, is all I'm saying.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That would be fair if inconsistencies were such a rarity that round 2 to round 22 was the separation between disparate calls.

But the rules are applied differently within rounds. It’s reasonable to be annoyed by that.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Classy lad isn't he

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:That would be fair if inconsistencies were such a rarity that round 2 to round 22 was the separation between disparate calls.

But the rules are applied differently within rounds. It’s reasonable to be annoyed by that.
It's difficult to be consistent when the scenarios are not exactly the same. Everyone looks at calls/tries/no tries and forms their own opinion but mine is always right and if you don't agree then you are wrong.... isn't that the problem here that decisions are open to everyone's interpretation. Didn't the Williams no try actually highlight that? I thought there is no way that is a try but some people insisted it was a try. I thought Feki's try was fine but others don't. How do you get consistency when so many people have opposing views?

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
gangrenous wrote:That would be fair if inconsistencies were such a rarity that round 2 to round 22 was the separation between disparate calls.

It's difficult to be consistent when the scenarios are not exactly the same. Everyone looks at calls/tries/no tries and forms their own opinion but mine is always right and if you don't agree then you are wrong.... isn't that the problem here that decisions are open to everyone's interpretation. Didn't the Williams no try actually highlight that? I thought there is no way that is a try but some people insisted it was a try. I thought Feki's try was fine but others don't. How do you get consistency when so many people have opposing views?

But isn’t this exactly why the On Field ref decision over rides the video review doubt either way.

If as you say, I can’t have consistency in video ref decision making, I at least want consistency in how the rules are applied to decision making.

Stick with on field ref, unless it’s clear for the video ref to reverse the decision.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yep, you’ll never have everyone agree. But there are clear cases where the rules are applied inconsistently.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:
gergreg wrote:

But isn’t this exactly why the On Field ref decision over rides the video review doubt either way.

If as you say, I can’t have consistency in video ref decision making, I at least want consistency in how the rules are applied to decision making.

Stick with on field ref, unless it’s clear for the video ref to reverse the decision.
Ultimately I think they got both calls right and I'm assuming you think the Feki decision was wrong? Quite often you can tell the refs haven't got a clue whether it's a try or not and then turn to the secondary ref or touchies for their opinion. Gone are the benefit of the doubt days and the ref is obligated to send it up either a try or not based on what they or their officiating team thinks. I honestly don't care what it gets sent to the bunker as, as long as they get it right the majority of the time (in my eyes). Sometimes I won't agree with the decision but I don't think there have been as many howlers as previous years. Like I've eluded to you just can't please everybody in this game but so far I don't think a bad decision has been made that has cost teams the game. It happened last year and if we're being honest will probably happen this year but so far so good.

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Wow Storm actually called offside at AAMI Park write that one down

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Vunivula must be suspended for that awful leg/ankle twist on Meaney. There is no place in the game for that sort of deliberate attempt to injure a player.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ennis noting that Dogs are having success spreading the ball instead of going for one out plays. Pity he didn’t plot out our game plan when we played the Storm. Hopefully that reflects discussions he’s had since that game.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Kaufisi dropped that cold

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Storm look really off this afternoon
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Tough loss for the dogs.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Did anybody notice Reimis Smith scored that last try 5m in from touch and Martin took the conversion 1m in?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote:Did anybody notice Reimis Smith scored that last try 5m in from touch and Martin took the conversion 1m in?
Yes! What was he doing????

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Ponga with a brilliant cut out ball to put Edrick in the corner.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Melbourne Storm deny Canterbury Bulldogs in cliffhanger after botched last-minute conversion

A powerful start from Canterbury fell just short in Melbourne on Sunday as injuries and fatigue set in, with the Storm coming back to win an 18-16 thriller.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/07/mel ... iffhanger/

Saturday Round Up

Manly Sea Eagles 13 defeated South Sydney Rabbitohs 12

Trbojevic injured as DCE kicks Manly to golden point win over Rabbitohs: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/06/tom ... th-sydney/

Parramatta Eels 24 defeated Cronulla Sharks 12

Moses parts Sharks defence to guide Parra home: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/06/mos ... ed-sharks/

The Greenhouse score update service
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

FULL TIME

St George Illawarra Dragons 13 defeated Newcastle Knights 12 in golden point, with Corey Norman field goal

Norman boots Dragons to golden-point win over Knights

Kalyn Ponga made a successful return to fullback for Newcastle but it wasn't enough for Newcastle as Corey Norman hit his second match-winning field goal for the Dragons in two weeks - getting his team home 13-12.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/07/nor ... r-knights/

Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Haven't watched the replay but that Graham play the ball leading to the field goal looked suspect

Nevermind, that was his attempt at the end of the first half of GP which he missed
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »