Rugby League 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Matt »

I know people didn't like the whistle-a-thon last yr, but it was actually a step in the right direction.
Then, of course the next season they throw it all away.
NRL couldn't navigate their way out of a paperbag
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Rugby League 2019

Post by -TW- »

Nrl is a TV sport. if the viewers get the **** then they'll change to suit them, rather then risk ratings
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Matt wrote: January 29, 2019, 7:30 pm I know people didn't like the whistle-a-thon last yr, but it was actually a step in the right direction.
Certain media types had an agenda against it and made a lot of noise.
I thought we had to go through it to bring the game back into line but to flick a switch and turn it off was amateur and caving in to those media types.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW Origin hopeful Matt Lodge kept honest by Brisbane Broncos' young bucks

A NSW State of Origin debut may beckon but prop Matt Lodge reckons earning an NRL starting spot in 2019 will be hard enough thanks to Brisbane's young brigade.

In a remarkable comeback, the 23-year-old Lodge is in line to make his Origin debut this year after taking part in an Emerging Blues training camp in Sydney last month. Lodge revealed Blues coach Brad Fittler told him a maiden Origin jumper was on the cards if he maintained his stunning form for the Broncos.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50ugf.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I guess NSW was running low on grubs.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Maybe GI could drunkenly stumble into his vehicle and speed down to NSWRL HQs to let them know.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2019 NRL international streaming details

The new official Watch NRL live streaming service will bring international NRL fans living or travelling outside Australia, NZ and Pacific Island countries every match of the 2019 NRL Premiership season including the Finals Series and Grand Final, live and on demand. Also included are the State of Origin Series, Australian men's and women's Test matches on home soil and coverage of the NSW and Queensland Cup competitions.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/18/201 ... g-details/

Watch NRL: https://www.watchnrl.com/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's a good deal, if you live or are travelling overseas. $200 a year, $33 a month or $19 a week or and you get Fox League 24/7, plus all games live and on demand.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Rugby League 2019

Post by Brewdle »

But if I’m travelling I’m only making time to watch the Raiders game. I want a per match purchase choice. Mrs Brewdle will love it the weekend we’re in Vegas I spend the whole time streaming the weekends round.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Used to be able to buy per match for like $5
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

And it’s a bugger the sign up for the free 2 week trial ends on the 21st of March, I’m not in the US until 1st April

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Rugby League 2019

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:How an ‘angry’ NRL CEO Todd Greenberg plans to end NRL off-field atrocities

A “frustrated, angry and embarrassed” Todd Greenberg says he has laid down the law to all 16 NRL clubs, demanding their players take responsibility after a horror off-season.

The NRL CEO on Monday revealed that he’d delivered a stern directive during a phone hook-up with the game’s club captains, telling them to deliver a message to their players.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7f58659f09

Greenberg vents frustrations at club CEOs and captains over off-field incidents: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/21/cam ... game-deal/
5 days after this a high profile player is involved in an off field atrocity big enough to be sacked.. I don’t think Tod’s plan worked.
Last edited by Sid on February 1, 2019, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:
Matt wrote: January 29, 2019, 7:30 pm I know people didn't like the whistle-a-thon last yr, but it was actually a step in the right direction.
Certain media types had an agenda against it and made a lot of noise.
I thought we had to go through it to bring the game back into line but to flick a switch and turn it off was amateur and caving in to those media types.
Agree 100%

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2019

Post by Sid »

Henry Perenara to miss the opening 6 weeks due to torn ankle ligaments

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Lucky it wasnt sutton. Broncos would be applying for the hodgo rule
Dont delete this GE
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Toughest preseason ever 2019

Post by Sid »

simo wrote:Lucky it wasnt sutton. Broncos would be applying for the hodgo rule
ImageImageImage spot on and with that they’d get Chris Sutton
Last edited by Sid on February 5, 2019, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARL Commission reviews finances, player behaviour

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) today announced a turnaround in the game’s finances and further measures to improve player behaviour.

ARLC Chairman Peter Beattie said the NRL had reversed its $3.7 million loss in 2017 to record a surplus in 2018. Details of the surplus will be revealed at the Annual General Meeting later this month.

He said the NRL had focussed on becoming more efficient, with $17m of budgeted costs being removed annually in this broadcast cycle.

“The key message for fans is that the game is in good financial shape,” he said.

“We are back in the black.

“And surpluses are invested back into the sport, whether it’s through junior Rugby League or community programs.”

Mr Beattie said the Commission also endorsed the tough stand taken by CEO Todd Greenberg against player misbehaviour.

“As a next step, we have asked the NRL leadership team to work with clubs, senior players and the RLPA to take immediate steps to reduce the integrity related issues we have seen over the last few months,” he said.

“We want our game to adopt best practice strategies to mitigate the risk of things going wrong off the field.

“The responsibility for delivering this improvement rests with players, clubs, and the NRL.”

NRL media release

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/06/arl ... behaviour/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New NRL Touch Football CEO appointed

Jamie O’Connor has been appointed new Chief Executive Officer of Touch Football Australia, the governing body of NRL Touch Football, Australia’s largest social sport.

O’Connor will replace current TFA CEO Steve Mitchell, who is departing to commence as CEO of the Gold Coast Titans on Monday 11th February 2019.

O’Connor is the current Chief Operating Officer of TFA. Before beginning at TFA, O’Connor was CEO of Queensland Touch Football, and prior to that, General Manager of the Intrust Super Cup at Queensland Rugby League.

O’Connor’s first sports executive roles were in rugby league in Newcastle.

TFA Chair Anita Hagarty said there was significant interest in the role from many very strong candidates, but O’Connor was the standout candidate for the position.

“As well as having made an excellent impact on the sport and the organisation since starting as COO at Touch Football Australia, Jamie has spent years developing extensive experience and networks in both the touch football and rugby league worlds,” Hagarty said.

“Due to his high-level experience in both sports, during this past year Jamie has played a significant role in providing broad knowledge on the community to a fairly new management team, strengthening the NRL/TFA partnership, and developing the brand-new elite NRL Touch Premiership broadcast product.

“Jamie has a strong understanding about where the two worlds of touch and rugby league intersect, and how the governing bodies can work more effectively together to safeguard the futures of both games.”

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg welcomed O’Connor to the position. “There’s no doubt Jamie brings skills and experience to the role that will further develop touch football and rugby league,” he said.

“We wish Steve all the best in his role as CEO of the Gold Coast Titans and congratulate him on a job well done.”

O’Connor is thrilled about his appointment in a role that he’s been moving towards for his entire career.

“We have experienced significant transformation over the last 15 months under the leadership of Steve Mitchell and I’m excited about the opportunity to enhance what we’ve achieved to date,” O’Connor said.

“2019 will be a marquee year for our sport – there’s the NRL Touch Premiership featuring eight NRL clubs, 52 games in 12 stadiums, broadcast every week across multiple platforms; the ongoing build of the NRL/TFA alliance; the introduction of alternative formats of the game aimed at driving growth in participation; and we have 11 teams heading to Malaysia for a World Cup in May.

“Operationally, we’ve built a strong team to deliver the sport across the country, and I look forward to leading a very talented and passionate group of people to grow the sport, our brand and our commercial appeal.”

As well as having worked in NRL Touch Football for years, O’Connor plays the sport with the Nelson Bay Neptunes, as do his wife and two daughters.

“We enjoy every chance we get to play. The community is extraordinary, and being engaged in the sport at the grassroots level certainly gives me a perspective that helps in managing the delivery of the sport.”

NRL media release

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/08/new ... appointed/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Is the 2019 season glossy magazine in the newsagents yet ?

You know the one full of profiles of players from all 16 clubs and predictions from "experts" !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The official season guide? No, not yet.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Thanks GE.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Beattie calls for probe into punishment consistency

The NRL’s integrity unit has been asked to answer questions on its own consistency in a report requested by the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC).

“The issue of consistency is often seen through the prism of club interest and not what is in the best interests of the game,” Beattie tweeted. “Nevertheless, it is an important issue and that is why the ARLC has asked the Integrity Unit to report on the issue of consistency in the first half of this year. Behaviour is incredibly hard to regulate. Those involved with policing are rarely popular. Without proper policing and standards we will not have a game.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c863070a48
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's bewildering as to why it has taken so long to have an open dialogue on this issue. The lack of consistency in just about every facet of the game is the biggest issue in the comp IMO.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Who are NRL HQ's least to most favourite teams?
Tim Gore

To paraphrase George Orwell’s Animal Farm – that some clubs are more equal than others when it comes to the treatment meted out by those in charge of the game. With that in mind I thought I’d examine who I reckon are the least to most important teams to those in charge at NRL HQ.

Canberra Raiders
The only reason the NRL would rank the team from the Canberra/Queanbeyan/Goulburn/Yass region above the Knights and Titans is that you don’t have to worry about the Raiders’ finances. However, those pesky people keep expecting things like a fair share of free-to-air games and are always complaining about the inherent deficiencies in the salary cap system.

Read more: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/02/14/w ... ite-teams/

Fairly much spot on.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yep very good article.

Only thing I’d disagree with is that the Storm are golden children with NRL HQ. The Storm actually don’t get the FTA games that their dominance deserves (serving to consistently disprove those who say that the Raiders winning will significantly change FTA draws).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Trans-Tasman double header Tests to be played in Wollongong

The end of season Trans-Tasman Double Header Test matches will be played at WIN Stadium in Wollongong on Friday October 25, 2019.

It is the first time in five years that international Rugby League has featured in the region.

It will also be the first time the Australian Kangaroos take on the New Zealand Kiwis at WIN Stadium, with the women’s sides having clashed at the venue in 2014.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said having international rugby league back in the Illawarra is a great result for region and the game.

"Rugby league has a home in the Illawarra, so we’re delighted to bring the pinnacle of Rugby League back to Wollongong for the first time in five years,” Mr Greenberg said.

“We recorded one of the best-ever attendances for WIN Stadium the last time Test Match Rugby League was played in Wollongong.

“So, I’ve got no doubt the local support will be strong and compliment those travelling fans who can’t wait to be at the Stadium come October 25th.

"I'd especially like to thank the New South Wales Government and Destination NSW for their support of such an important event on the Rugby League calendar.”

Minister for Tourism and Major Events Adam Marshall said the match had been secured for Wollongong by the NSW Government.

“These exclusive, international events are a real drawcard for our outer-city regions as sports fans see the opportunity to enjoy entertainment beyond their regular venues,” Mr Marshall said.

Member for Kiama and Parliamentary Secretary for the Illawarra and South Coast Gareth Ward said the game would build on the South Coast’s already strong visitor numbers.

“In the year ending September 2018, South Coast NSW received more than 3.9 million domestic overnight visitors who generated nearly $1.8 billion in visitor spend,” Mr Ward said.

The Trans-Tasman Double Header is supported by the New South Wales Government and Destination New South Wales.

The women’s and men’s matches will be broadcast live nationally across the Nine Network, Fox Sports and NRL Live Pass, as well as Sky NZ in New Zealand.

NRL media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL clubs to get salary relief for accused players who are stood down for misbehaviour

St George Illawarra will be offered $600,000 in salary cap relief if star player Jack de Belin is stood down by the NRL this week while he fights sexual assault charges. Any club forced to stand down a player facing serious criminal charges in future will receive compensation to ensure the club and their fans are not penalised.

Under the new plan, clubs could sign a replacement player on a short-term agreement. De Belin is on $600,000 at the Saints.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 62743ebce4
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So clubs can have a culture where player misbehaviour is fine... no worries... you get salary cap dispensation if we suspend them! More than for injured rep players by the looks!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Rugby League 2019

Post by LastRaider »

That’s a joke. There is just so many things wrong with that, basically it tells clubs you have no responsibility to the fans, the game or the community when you sign and manage players on your roster.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And guess what it tells clubs who jump in and sign players who’ve been already sacked due to misdemeanours. No surprise the Roosters are leading that bandwagon.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I think it’s a negative move, but there is potential for teams to hide less in the way of player behaviour - Brisbane could sign x2 current origin players for $600k, maybe they take the muzzle off the Courier Mail every now and then?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's a very difficult issue for the NRL to get right but this is not the right way to manage it.
The NRL should be doing everything in their power to protect their image and discourage poor player behaviour. It SHOULD be a risk for clubs to sign players with a history of off field incidents and this move eliminates that risk, to some degree. Put simply the game does not need players representing the code that tarnish it's image. The NRL needs to send a strong message to the players that says simply 'poor behaviour will not be accepted in our code, you will be sacked and you will never play in the NRL again'. Then watch as the incidents dry up.

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Innocent or guilty, I just don’t understand why they arn’t immediately stood down with full pay due to putting the game in disrepute.

Players should not be putting themselves in situations where things like this can happen.