Rugby League 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Rugby League 2019

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 6, 2019, 12:00 pm
The Rickman wrote: March 6, 2019, 11:56 am Of course you do.

That's why you shoehorned the Broncos into your argument to support your claim.
I didn't dream up the statistic. Roy Masters has more than once pointed it out in his columns, which have highlighted exactly the same point.
Yes, but saying there's only three teams when there's two more level with the Broncos (which in effect makes it five teams) is disingenuous to say the least.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OK, I'll put it another way for you, to underline how uneven the competition has been...

In the 21 Grand Finals held under the auspices of the NRL, only two did not feature one of the Melbourne Storm, Sydney Roosters, Brisbane Broncos, Manly Sea Eagles or Canterbury Bulldogs. Nine of those Grand Finals have been between two of those five teams. Fourteen of the 21 NRL Grand Finals have been won by just five clubs.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 6, 2019, 12:23 pm OK, I'll put it another way for you, to underline how uneven the competition has been...

In the 21 Grand Finals held under the auspices of the NRL, only two did not feature one of the Melbourne Storm, Sydney Roosters, Brisbane Broncos, Manly Sea Eagles or Canterbury Bulldogs. Nine of those Grand Finals have been between two of those five teams. Fourteen of the 21 NRL Grand Finals have been won by just five clubs.
So... similar numbers to the AFL, as I just pointed out??

EVERY sport has teams that are dominant and teams that aren't, that's just the nature of competition. Otherwise what you want is communism.

Our challenge as a club is to be better, not bitter. It's not everyone else's fault that we've missed the finals the last two years with a team that only three years ago finished second.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why would you want to deny that the NRL's rules and commercial arrangements are contributing to an uneven competition, when they obviously are?

The NRL has released figures which show that some teams have TPAs that provide an advantage of $1 million, $800,000 over other clubs. Why would you want to give the NRL a leave pass for this massive loophole in their salary cap?

The NRL has not fixed the issue of inequity in FTA TV coverage, which contributes to significant differences in the commercial opportunities for the clubs. I would ceraintly give credit to the AFL for at least ensuring regional teams have regional FTA TV coverage. But you want to give the NRL a leave pass for this too?

The NRL has preserved a monopoly over Brisbane since 1998. The Broncos and News Limited demanded this as part of the reunification of the game, but have preserved it for many years longer than necessary.

That's just a few things I can think of where the NRL gives significant advantages to some clubs over others. I think it is reasonable to point that out. Which is what Ricky Stuart is doing.

It doesn't give the Raiders a leave pass either, for their performances for over two decades on the field... because a number of clubs outside the "group of three" or "group of five", whichever you like, have managed to jag one premiership at least.

But the NRL has institutionalised commercial arrangements that help make the competition uneven, and they need to fix it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Those are probably all fair points, Fergus
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Why would you want to deny that the NRL's rules and commercial arrangements are contributing to an uneven competition, when they obviously are?

The NRL has released figures which show that some teams have TPAs that provide an advantage of $1 million, $800,000 over other clubs. Why would you want to give the NRL a leave pass for this massive loophole in their salary cap?

The NRL has not fixed the issue of inequity in FTA TV coverage, which contributes to significant differences in the commercial opportunities for the clubs. I would ceraintly give credit to the AFL for at least ensuring regional teams have regional FTA TV coverage. But you want to give the NRL a leave pass for this too?

The NRL has preserved a monopoly over Brisbane since 1998. The Broncos and News Limited demanded this as part of the reunification of the game, but have preserved it for many years longer than necessary.

That's just a few things I can think of where the NRL gives significant advantages to some clubs over others. I think it is reasonable to point that out. Which is what Ricky Stuart is doing.

It doesn't give the Raiders a leave pass either, for their performances for over two decades on the field... because a number of clubs outside the "group of three" or "group of five", whichever you like, have managed to jag one premiership at least.

But the NRL has institutionalised commercial arrangements that help make the competition uneven, and they need to fix it.
I may have missed it but it's been a while since I've heard NRL HQ spruiking that it is the most even competition in world sport, like it used to do.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Can somebody please tell me a competition in the world that actually IS considered even though??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They were doing it just last year citing how just two competition points separated the minor premier from the eighth team, the Warriors. They sort of overlooked the huge gap between ninth and tenth.

They must have realised how stupid that was, as the 2018 annual report has since devised a new metric to tell us how even the competition is... saying that the average margin was 12.8 in 2018, with 29 per cent of matches decided by four points or less. They say this is the closest in a decade.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/document ... ort-hr.pdf

They're constantly coming up with new ways to tell us how even the competition is.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hasn't every team except 2 made the grand final in the last 20 years??

Which other sports can brag this fact?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: March 6, 2019, 1:26 pm Hasn't every team except 2 made the grand final in the last 20 years??

The Raiders and Titans are the only two without a Grand Final appearance. However, the other facts mentioned above paint a picture of a handful of clubs dominating, while other clubs manage to jag one, maybe two, appearances.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 6, 2019, 1:32 pm
The Rickman wrote: March 6, 2019, 1:26 pm Hasn't every team except 2 made the grand final in the last 20 years??

The Raiders and Titans are the only two without a Grand Final appearance. However, the other facts mentioned above paint a picture of a handful of clubs dominating, while other clubs manage to jag one, maybe two, appearances.
Unlike the <INSERT SPORT NAME HERE>, which is evenly contested by every team equally.

Please just help me out with the name of that sport, please Ferg??
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Rickman wrote:Hasn't every team except 2 made the grand final in the last 20 years??

BBL with a Salary cap has a good mix of Grand Finalists and Premiership winners.

As does the English football Championship.

Many other sports don’t have drafts and Salary cap style equalisation measures.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Thank you, BJ! Some logic in an otherwise ridiculously emotion-driven debate.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You may be emotion driven in this discussion Rickman, but I'm certainly not. I just keep pointing out fact after fact.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ok, settle down, I realise you're getting upset about your perceived injustices against the two teams who haven't made the grand final in the last two decades, but take a deep breath and count to ten.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No, I don't need to take any deep breaths or count to ten. I'm quite happy just pointing out the facts.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Looking online at other comps AFL has had 16/18 in grand finals and is the closest comparison structure wise.
Super Rugby has 12/15. I was surprised this was so high.
Premier League is first past the post and has had 5 winners. If NRL was the same format it would have 9. AFL would have 12.
NBA has had 16/30 in Championships but that's with multi game series which means its not comparable. Plus the influence of individual players is huge.
NFL has had 19/32. You probably no better than me how fair a comparison that is structure wise.

Just based at a glance I think while other codes do have dominant teams some seem to have the dominant teams change more often. Like it's a 4 or 5 year run rather than 20 years.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I heard the Broncos are keen to use the first century of America’s Cup yachting as a model for nrl premiership winners.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 6, 2019, 1:56 pm No, I don't need to take any deep breaths or count to ten. I'm quite happy just pointing out the facts.
Look, I'm not going to discuss this any further if you're just going to be nasty.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: March 6, 2019, 2:22 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 6, 2019, 1:56 pm No, I don't need to take any deep breaths or count to ten. I'm quite happy just pointing out the facts.
Look, I'm not going to discuss this any further if you're just going to be nasty.
Where's the support for Ricky in this thread? I'm surprised.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 6, 2019, 2:36 pm
The Rickman wrote: March 6, 2019, 2:22 pm
Where's the support for Ricky in this thread? I'm surprised.
I support Ricky wholeheartedly, it's not his fault our team hasn't made a grand final in the last 20 years.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Good thread
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2019 NRL season launch – live stream: Tune into the NRL’s 2019 season launch, live from Bondi Icebergs: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/07/201 ... ve-stream/
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: March 7, 2019, 3:35 pm 2019 NRL season launch – live stream: Tune into the NRL’s 2019 season launch, live from Bondi Icebergs: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/07/201 ... ve-stream/
Nice of Steve Mortimer to come out and say "It's also young ladies who are looking for a bit of notice" as he was worried people would stop talking about the complete cesspit of a culture in rugby league.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You can watch a replay: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/07/201 ... a-new-era/

Note the complete lack of representation for the Raiders in their promo: https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1103584677657436160
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Schifty wrote: March 7, 2019, 8:04 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 7, 2019, 3:35 pm 2019 NRL season launch – live stream: Tune into the NRL’s 2019 season launch, live from Bondi Icebergs: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/07/201 ... ve-stream/
Nice of Steve Mortimer to come out and say "It's also young ladies who are looking for a bit of notice" as he was worried people would stop talking about the complete cesspit of a culture in rugby league.
I watched the interview. **** was he thinking :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Elitist event in the privileged eastern suburbs of Sydney, Roosters territory, and nothing for the ordinary fans whatsoever.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Telstra Premiership 2019 season launched

A new era began tonight as the NRL Telstra Premiership 2019 season was launched in a spectacular setting in Sydney.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg launched the season alongside the 16 NRL Club Captains – as well as a “new era” representative from each of the teams.

Among those at the launch, at Bondi Icebergs, were Premiership Co-Captain Jake Friend from Sydney Roosters, Melbourne Storm skipper Cameron Smith, South Sydney Rabbitohs’ Greg Inglis, as well as the new era of stars including Newcastle’s Kalyn Ponga, North Queensland’s Jason Taumalolo and the Sea Eagles’ Tom Trbojevic.

Mr Greenberg said there was so much to look forward to in 2019.

“Our players here tonight will be front and centre of our new era,” Mr Greenberg said. “Tonight, it is their time to shine.

“To light up the stage and show the way forward for the rest of the Premiership, for our members and supporters everywhere.

“This time next week, one of the closest competitions in the world will explode.

“There is simply no competition in the world like it.”

Mr Greenberg said there were a number of new concepts and initiatives which linked with the “New Era” theme.

“We will see the opening of Bankwest Stadium, we will hold our first ever Magic Round in Brisbane, a State of Origin match in Perth, as well as the World Cup of Nines,” Mr Greenberg said.

The NRL this week launched a new campaign of which the “New Era Begins” is a central theme.

The campaign focusses on the link between Clubs and their communities, and for the first time features female players.

“It stands to reason that we would get our collective new era players to launch the season,” NRL Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Abdo said.

“The likes of Kalyn Ponga, Jason Taumalolo and Josh Addo-Carr are our next generation of superstars.”

The NRL also announced it would donate $100 for every point scored through Round One to those directly affected by the floods in North Queensland.

North Queensland Cowboys will also dedicate their opening match, on Saturday, March 16 against St George Illawarra Dragons, to raising spirits in the North, following the devastating floods.

The Round One match has been named the “Together for North Queensland” game.

NRL Clubs will also support the flood appeal with fundraising initiatives in Round One, including bucket collections.

“Rugby League is much more than just an on-field spectacle,” NRL Head of Government and Community Relations Jaymes Boland-Rudder said.

“We’re a game that reaches out to one another in times of need.”

The NRL Telstra Premiership 2019 kicks off in one week – when Melbourne Storm host Brisbane Broncos at AAMI Park.

For the full NRL Telstra Premiership 2019 draw please visit www.nrl.com/draw and for tickets, visit www.nrl.com/tickets.

NRL media release

NRL's hottest young stars take centre stage at season launch: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/07/nrl ... on-launch/
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Bondi icebergs lol... way to launch the season in the heartland!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I didn’t know the Raiders had been kicked out of the NRL for the 2019 season.

I just watched the 2019 season promotional video and realised I must have missed the news about the Raiders not being part of the upcoming competition. How wasn’t this discussed on the GH?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

BJ wrote: March 8, 2019, 11:45 am I didn’t know the Raiders had been kicked out of the NRL for the 2019 season.

I just watched the 2019 season promotional video and realised I must have missed the news about the Raiders not being part of the upcoming competition. How wasn’t this discussed on the GH?
Maybe they gave each team exposure directly proportional to the amount of free to air games they have??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 8, 2019, 11:45 am I didn’t know the Raiders had been kicked out of the NRL for the 2019 season.

It was pointed out last night. Got most discussion on Twitter and the Facebook Group. I guess the posters on TheGH.com.au are hardened to it by now.

BTW the NRL promotion for 2019 does feature Nick Cotric briefly. But the hype video showed last night contained one screen with 16 panels for each club for 1 second... ours was a still of the Viking Clap. Plus the emblem was shown for a split second. That was it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sydney Football Stadium demolition to go ahead after NSW court ruling lifts injunction

The demolition of Sydney’s Allianz Stadium can begin immediately after a judge dismissed an application to extend a court order preventing major works. The temporary injunction - put in place in February to allow a challenge to the $730 million project in the Land and Environment Court - was due to expire at 5pm on Friday.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e728cf4594
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘It’s the right thing to do’: Matt Cecchin returns to NRL

Matt Cecchin, the man most fans agree is the best whistleblower in rugby league has committed to an NRL return. Cecchin quit the NRL last season for the Super League, but was shocked when the UK government twice rejected his visa application and crushed that English dream. Sports referees were not viewed in the same light as overseas players.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 512tc.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Andrew Johns diagnosed with mild form of epilepsy

For Andrew Johns, it was the fear of the unknown that was the worst. The rugby league immortal revealed last year he was being treated for seizures and didn’t know the cause.

“I’ve got a mild form of epilepsy and it’s a huge relief to find that out,” he said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5130g.html