Rugby League 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2019

Post by greeneyed »

V'landys confident on NRL TV bump up

New ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys insists the game will bump up its television revenue in the next rights deal despite the changing media landscape.

"I am very confident, looking at all of the documents I've seen in the last few days, of achieving a better result than what we've got now.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/v-landys-c ... dd3df12610

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The rules don't need "tinkering" at all, if anything they need to STOP **** tinkering with the interpretations every six weeks and just let the referees ref!!

This whole "we're cracking down on forward passes now" crap they persist with going on with or "we're now policing the ruck this way" garbage needs to stop.

The game flowed best when the referees were allowed to just referee the game, blow penalties whenever they saw fit, and didn't "manage" penalty counts IMO. We need to return to that.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

greeneyed wrote: November 1, 2019, 7:56 am
yeh raiders wrote: October 31, 2019, 10:08 pm Not one bit of surprise here, he is a weapon.

I strongly hope he stays with racing NSW as well - 2 of my biggest passions are Racing and Rugby League and he has proven himself time and time again.

You’re right GE, he is an innovator.

Which is why I think his understanding of Rugby League as a game is absolutely crucial.

In racing he has improved programming, carnivals, prizemoney, betting deals, welfare etc .. all leading to stronger participation and a better product overall.
That sounds great, not sure it requires massive tinkering with the rules, which is where he’s looking to innovate.
Ok well that’s concerning then, unless he’s referring to rule changes around wrestling.

“Crackdowns” as mentioned above, in NRL terms, basically equate to going from one extreme to another and always end badly. Why that is the case, I don’t know. The reason for that is what needs addressing.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We don’t need new rules. The existing Rules just need to be simplified and have less impact on the game.

Minor attacking team indiscretions should be a ‘handover’ not a penalty. That may encourage refs to consistently rule on not touching the ball with your foot or walking off the mark.

Refs need to focus on defensive teams teams breaking the rules when under pressure from the attacking team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

SBW signs with Toronto Wolfpack with other stars set to follow

It's official. Sonny Bill Williams is returning to rugby league after the Toronto Wolfpack have pulled off a stunning signings coup for the fledgling club to lure the dual international back from the All Blacks.

Williams, who has signed a two-year deal reportedly worth up to $10 million, will make his first public appearance as a Wolfpack player at Arsenal FC's Emirates Stadium in London next Thursday.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/08/sbw ... to-follow/
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m surprised the Roosters couldn’t match the deal
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I’m surprised the Roosters couldn’t match the deal
You do realise it’s very difficult to source a brown paper bag large enough to hold 10 million dollars. ImageImage🥊Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kiwis knock Kangaroos from No.1 spot in world rankings

New Zealand have usurped Australia as the top nation in the International Rugby League world rankings after the conclusion of the 2019 season.

The Kiwis have built on their 2018 wins over Australia and England and their recent 2-0 series defeat of Great Britain and victory in the mid-season Oceania Cup Test against Tonga to take the top position.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/18/kiw ... -rankings/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Nice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Secret rule changes NRL doesn’t want you to know about: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... e55cc72d9a

Five minute sin bin: tbd by Commission.
One or two referees: recommended stay with two.
Golden point: Losers to get one competition point?
Interchange: unclear.

No mention of how to handle #SixAgain and #Trainergate situations.

Apparently half the coaches didn’t turn up, including Stuart.