Brisbane Broncos 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where will the Broncos finish in 2019?

Minor premiers
No votes
Top four
25%
Top eight
38%
Bottom eight
38%
Bottom four
No votes
Wooden spoon/least wins
No votes

Total votes: 8

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: Brisbane Broncos 2019

Post by Manbush »

Organised Chaos wrote: September 18, 2019, 6:33 pm Anyone else enjoying watching the Broncos implode?

Two things I find amusing reading, they honestly think another club will just take on Boyd’s contact dollar for dollar.

Loving it especially living up here.

Not just Boyd’s but also Birds who is constantly injured and McColloughs, those 3 alone are contracted for around $2.4 mil and they’d be lucky to get half that.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Bird requests release from Brisbane Broncos

Brisbane have given Jack Bird permission to negotiate with other clubs as they prepare to up the ante to find a blue chip half to guide the team in 2020.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/19/jac ... e-broncos/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Be interesting to see how much they have to chip in.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Interesting they said "to a Sydney club". Does he not like mountain biking?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

So now Gordon Tallis thinks they should simply go out and sign Luke Keary, this assumption they have a devein right to the best players in the comp is quite astounding.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I'm Bate Man wrote:So now Gordon Tallis thinks they should simply go out and sign Luke Keary, this assumption they have a devein right to the best players in the comp is quite astounding.
I’m waiting for Darren Lockyer to state that the Broncos should go out and contract the entire Australian Test side.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote:
I'm Bate Man wrote:So now Gordon Tallis thinks they should simply go out and sign Luke Keary, this assumption they have a devein right to the best players in the comp is quite astounding.
I’m waiting for Darren Lockyer to state that the Broncos should go out and contract the entire Australian Test side.
Would be great if they did it (sans Papalii) and still stunk

Something is rotten at Red Hill
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

BroncosHQ check: Raiders are a popular choice to win it.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Corey Oates signs new contract with Brisbane Broncos

Corey Oates has re-signed with the Brisbane Broncos, with veteran Alex Glenn expected to do the same. Brisbane announced Oates' new deal on Monday afternoon, which extends him through until the end of next year along with options for 2021 and 2022 in his favour.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/28/oat ... d-further/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Injuries force Brisbane Broncos Matt Gillett into immediate retirement

Broncos back rower Matt Gillett has announced his immediate retirement from the NRL due to ongoing injuries on Thursday. He has a shoulder injury that doctors have advised him is beyond repair.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/31/inj ... etirement/

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/10 ... by-league/
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Injuries force Brisbane Broncos Matt Gillett into immediate retirement

Broncos back rower Matt Gillett has announced his immediate retirement from the NRL due to ongoing injuries on Thursday. He has a shoulder injury that doctors have advised him is beyond repair.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/31/inj ... etirement/

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2019/10 ... by-league/
That's a shame. Good player and not all that old
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I rated him the best backrower in the game at his peak

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm Bate Man wrote: September 20, 2019, 8:43 am So now Gordon Tallis thinks they should simply go out and sign Luke Keary, this assumption they have a devein right to the best players in the comp is quite astounding.
Gorden has concussion and can't string a sentence together. He does his best to come across as a knowledgable punter but...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Going to be an interesting year next season at the Bronco's. Seibold needs to get hold of that young group or they'll end up an arrogant, wasted generation like the Raiders in the Fergo/Duges era imo. Flashes of brilliance but no character.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:Going to be an interesting year next season at the Bronco's. Seibold needs to get hold of that young group or they'll end up an arrogant, wasted generation like the Raiders in the Fergo/Duges era imo. Flashes of brilliance but no character.
Bennett is going to poach their best players and I'll be cheering him on. **** the Broncos.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Couldn’t agree more mate.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Gillett was on the books for $300k but his retirement will open up $1m in cap room for them
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Boyd and Gillets retirement along with Milf leaving should free up 4.5 million of the cap. Then they can start stockpiling players again.

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Didn't they just buy Kahu back and try to make Lodge their captain. Then backflip on it?

I don't think it matters how much money they have at the moment, they'll just waste it anyway.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Kahu still had an option in his favour with the broncos. He just activated it. For some reason when he left for the cowboys the broncos didn't make it a full release.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: November 4, 2019, 9:40 am Kahu still had an option in his favour with the broncos. He just activated it. For some reason when he left for the cowboys the broncos didn't make it a full release.
Hmm ok. Weird deal.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yeah it's really odd. First time I can recall that happening.
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Organised Chaos »

zim wrote:Kahu still had an option in his favour with the broncos. He just activated it. For some reason when he left for the cowboys the broncos didn't make it a full release.
So basically it’s a player loan, well in essence I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yeah that's how it played out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos star David Fifita ‘locked in a Bali jail cell’ after alleged assault

Brisbane young gun David Fifita is reportedly locked in a Bali jail accused of assault. He was arrested on Saturday morning following a brawl outside La Favela nightclub in Seminyak, the same club where Melbourne prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona became involved in a brawl.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9e9263f73e
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If I was running a footy club, Bali would be off limits to all staff.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:If I was running a footy club, Bali would be off limits to all staff.
If you were running a football club, ALL forms of fun would be banned

Kindof like if you ran a forum
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

2019/20 Is shaping up as another blockbuster offseason.

I wonder if there will be any footage of this one. Maybe Broncos representatives rushed to Bali with a bag of cash to suppress any footage?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:If I was running a footy club, Bali would be off limits to all staff.
If you were running a football club, ALL forms of fun would be banned

Kindof like if you ran a forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I just can't believe how clubs running a multi million dollar business including at least $10m worth of key personnel let members of that personnel group take such unwarranted risks as going to Bali, the elephants graveyard for bogans.
I'm far from being a member of the "fun police" brigade but the current situation is ludicrous.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Cranky Old Man wrote: November 9, 2019, 4:44 pm I just can't believe how clubs running a multi million dollar business including at least $10m worth of key personnel let members of that personnel group take such unwarranted risks as going to Bali, the elephants graveyard for bogans.
I'm far from being a member of the "fun police" brigade but the current situation is ludicrous.
Yeah, plenty of better options. Might see a few clubs placing it off limits as a venue for contracted players.

This particular case is even worse because Fifita was chasing a $1m+ contract. These kind of judgement errors will make clubs think twice before investing so much in him. Players need to perform to a high standard both on and off field these days.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

David Fafita enjoying a Bali holiday...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Northern Raider wrote:
Cranky Old Man wrote: November 9, 2019, 4:44 pm I just can't believe how clubs running a multi million dollar business including at least $10m worth of key personnel let members of that personnel group take such unwarranted risks as going to Bali, the elephants graveyard for bogans.
Yeah, plenty of better options. Might see a few clubs placing it off limits as a venue for contracted players.

This particular case is even worse because Fifita was chasing a $1m+ contract. These kind of judgement errors will make clubs think twice before investing so much in him. Players need to perform to a high standard both on and off field these days.
Bosnich has said before how when he was at Man Utd, Alex Fergo would give the players a rating, which would determine whether
A. You were ok to go out on the town on your own
B. Whether you could go out, but take some people from the A group
C. You needed a club appointed chaperone, either because you caused problems, or because you were that high profile, people would try and start stuff with you.

Mark Geyer has also suggested a chaperone might not be bad. On Triple M, he was saying how during his time at the Reds, he would ask his non-drinking friends to come out with him, because people would try and size him up.

I think there’s merit in this. You would think clubs would do whatever they could to protect their investments.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Buying your freedom in Bali usually costs $10,000... It cost Brisbane Broncos forward David Fifita three times that sum

Boom Broncos forward David Fifita was forced to pay $30,000 out of his own pocket to secure his freedom from a Bali cell on Monday afternoon.

A typical peace agreement — which is commonplace in the Balinese legal system and is signed by police and an alleged victim to allow charges against an arrested civilian to be dropped — usually costs the person behind bars about $10,000.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d6dab8f76c

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/david- ... e9a63d67d1

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7af23bfcd3

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c8f76aa578