Gold Coast Titans 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where will the Titans finish in 2019?

Minor premiers
0
No votes
Top four
0
No votes
Top eight
0
No votes
Bottom eight
2
25%
Bottom four
5
63%
Wooden spoon/least wins
1
13%
 
Total votes: 8

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6921
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by gergreg » July 18, 2019, 11:17 am

Yeah the Norths/Manly merger was never going to work. Who would want to merge with them, at the time they were the most despised team in the comp.
Maybe Fui is onto something? But relocations, the way the NRL did/does them doesn't work.
Relocating a team into Brisbane or Perth will not work because there are already home grown bids/franchises in those areas ready to go if given the opportunity. A relocation to Adelaide might actually work though.

It has worked in the AFL because many of their supporters are complete patsys. Ok with giving another team an unfair advantage to create success to build the following. In the NRL that wouldn't work, there is too much tribalism between supporters and Greenberg would have pitchforks at HQ if it was obvious the game was manufacturing success. Look how fans from every club currently hate the Broncos and to a lesser extent the Storm.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Dusty
Jason Croker
Posts: 4620
Joined: December 21, 2009, 12:25 pm
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by Dusty » July 18, 2019, 11:21 am

greeneyed wrote:The Bears decided to relocate to Gosford, but never played there as the Bears. The Stadium was delayed in completion due to weather or some such thing. They went broke before the Stadium was finished.
Correct and the NRL backflipped on the promised $8million they were promised to relocate.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2019: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Oldfield (Rapana) 6. Williams 7. Sezer 8. Sutton 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Papalii 11. Tapine 12. Whitehead 13. J.Bateman ----
14. Havili 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Lui

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6921
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by gergreg » July 18, 2019, 11:26 am

Dusty wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The Bears decided to relocate to Gosford, but never played there as the Bears. The Stadium was delayed in completion due to weather or some such thing. They went broke before the Stadium was finished.
Correct and the NRL backflipped on the promised $8million they were promised to relocate.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I vaguely remember that. Was it (the reason) because they weren't playing enough home games on the central coast? Might be tough if the ground wasn't complete?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43016
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by The Rickman » July 18, 2019, 11:35 am

gergreg wrote:
July 18, 2019, 11:17 am
Yeah the Norths/Manly merger was never going to work. Who would want to merge with them, at the time they were the most despised team in the comp.
Maybe Fui is onto something? But relocations, the way the NRL did/does them doesn't work.
Relocating a team into Brisbane or Perth will not work because there are already home grown bids/franchises in those areas ready to go if given the opportunity. A relocation to Adelaide might actually work though.

It has worked in the AFL because many of their supporters are complete patsys. Ok with giving another team an unfair advantage to create success to build the following. In the NRL that wouldn't work, there is too much tribalism between supporters and Greenberg would have pitchforks at HQ if it was obvious the game was manufacturing success. Look how fans from every club currently hate the Broncos and to a lesser extent the Storm.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
You know what I find interesting about tribalism? It's that before the 2015 Grand Final, Broncos and Cowboys fans both generally held the other club as their second favourite teams, and even before the grand final many people said "I don't even care who wins this game".

SINCE that grand final, however, Broncos and Cowboys fans absolutely HATE each other and their respective clubs. It's brilliant.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5757
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » July 18, 2019, 11:42 am

Dusty wrote:
July 18, 2019, 11:21 am
greeneyed wrote:The Bears decided to relocate to Gosford, but never played there as the Bears. The Stadium was delayed in completion due to weather or some such thing. They went broke before the Stadium was finished.
Correct and the NRL backflipped on the promised $8million they were promised to relocate.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Ok sweet, so I would say they don't count, since they merged before they moved to Central Coast and never played in Gosford.
With that, the only relocations in recent memory have been
  • Western Suburbs Magpies from Lidcombe to Campbelltown
  • Dragons from Kogarah to Wollongong
Of these, one was moving from one Sydney suburb to another, and one was as part of a merger with Illawarra. I would say these were successes.

I agree with Gerg though, it would depend on the location the club is moving to, and whether there is already a fan base demanding their own team. I think places like Adelaide, Central Coast, and maybe the second NZ team could accommodate a relocate. I think a Titans Re-brand and playing out of Brisbane and Gold Coast might work. It couldn't be worse than they are now.

I think in my world would a reshuffle of clubs would be something like this

Bulldogs | Stay
Panthers | Stay
Sydney Roosters | Stay
South Sydney Rabbitohs | Stay
Sharks > Relocate | Handing their region to Souths/Dragons
Sea Eagles > Relocate | Handing their region to Roosters
Eels > Relocate | Handing their region to Panthers
Wests Tigers > Relocate | Handing their region to Bulldogs
Dragons > Permanent Wollongong *Technically done
Last edited by Fuifui Bradbrad on July 18, 2019, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6921
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by gergreg » July 18, 2019, 12:06 pm

Manly won't move and the central coast won't have them. The Bears brand is the only one that will work in that area.

I don't think moving the Titans to Brisbane will work either - and then opens up the area for AFL. They just need to get their **** together and become a professional sporting organisation. There are already a few Brisbane bids already which would be more successful than shifting a dysfunctional club.

Edit. I don't agree with cutting Sydney down to four clubs - is that how many you've got there Fui? What cities/regions would you shift those Sydney clubs to?
Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126064
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by greeneyed » July 18, 2019, 1:10 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
July 18, 2019, 11:42 am
Dusty wrote:
July 18, 2019, 11:21 am
greeneyed wrote:The Bears decided to relocate to Gosford, but never played there as the Bears. The Stadium was delayed in completion due to weather or some such thing. They went broke before the Stadium was finished.
Correct and the NRL backflipped on the promised $8million they were promised to relocate.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Ok sweet, so I would say they don't count, since they merged before they moved to Central Coast and never played in Gosford.
With that, the only relocations in recent memory have been
  • Western Suburbs Magpies from Lidcombe to Campbelltown
  • Dragons from Kogarah to Wollongong
Of these, one was moving from one Sydney suburb to another, and one was as part of a merger with Illawarra. I would say these were successes.

I agree with Gerg though, it would depend on the location the club is moving to, and whether there is already a fan base demanding their own team. I think places like Adelaide, Central Coast, and maybe the second NZ team could accommodate a relocate. I think a Titans Re-brand and playing out of Brisbane and Gold Coast might work. It couldn't be worse than they are now.

I think in my world would a reshuffle of clubs would be something like this

Bulldogs | Stay
Panthers | Stay
Sydney Roosters | Stay
South Sydney Rabbitohs | Stay
Sharks > Relocate | Handing their region to Souths/Dragons
Sea Eagles > Relocate | Handing their region to Roosters
Eels > Relocate | Handing their region to Panthers
Wests Tigers > Relocate | Handing their region to Bulldogs
Dragons > Permanent Wollongong *Technically done
You had me agreeing until the Sea Eagles bit. Relocating the Sea Eagles means there is no rugby league team north of the harbour, until you hit Newcastle!

Eels... might be poorly managed, but they have a huge following, and money. And a wonderful new stadium. They're very secure.

You don't need to relocate so many Sydney teams. The Tigers and Sharks are probably the most vulnerable financially... though the Tigers are much more stable now Wests are fully in control. They'd be the prime candidates.

Most critical thing is to have an extra team in Brisbane and one in Perth.
Image

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5757
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » July 18, 2019, 1:50 pm

greeneyed wrote:
July 18, 2019, 1:10 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
July 18, 2019, 11:42 am
Dusty wrote:
July 18, 2019, 11:21 am
greeneyed wrote:The Bears decided to relocate to Gosford, but never played there as the Bears. The Stadium was delayed in completion due to weather or some such thing. They went broke before the Stadium was finished.
Correct and the NRL backflipped on the promised $8million they were promised to relocate.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Ok sweet, so I would say they don't count, since they merged before they moved to Central Coast and never played in Gosford.
With that, the only relocations in recent memory have been
  • Western Suburbs Magpies from Lidcombe to Campbelltown
  • Dragons from Kogarah to Wollongong
Of these, one was moving from one Sydney suburb to another, and one was as part of a merger with Illawarra. I would say these were successes.

I agree with Gerg though, it would depend on the location the club is moving to, and whether there is already a fan base demanding their own team. I think places like Adelaide, Central Coast, and maybe the second NZ team could accommodate a relocate. I think a Titans Re-brand and playing out of Brisbane and Gold Coast might work. It couldn't be worse than they are now.

I think in my world would a reshuffle of clubs would be something like this

Bulldogs | Stay
Panthers | Stay
Sydney Roosters | Stay
South Sydney Rabbitohs | Stay
Sharks > Relocate | Handing their region to Souths/Dragons
Sea Eagles > Relocate | Handing their region to Roosters
Eels > Relocate | Handing their region to Panthers
Wests Tigers > Relocate | Handing their region to Bulldogs
Dragons > Permanent Wollongong *Technically done
You had me agreeing until the Sea Eagles bit. Relocating the Sea Eagles means there is no rugby league team north of the harbour, until you hit Newcastle!

Eels... might be poorly managed, but they have a huge following, and money. And a wonderful new stadium. They're very secure.

You don't need to relocate so many Sydney teams. The Tigers and Sharks are probably the most vulnerable financially... though the Tigers are much more stable now Wests are fully in control. They'd be the prime candidates.

Most critical thing is to have an extra team in Brisbane and one in Perth.
Yeah, in my head though the Roosters would just expand their region to include north of the harbour.

Eels - The new stadium is a bit of an issue with my plan. In my world, it would be either Penrith or Parra moving, and I went with Penrith growing. I agree they have a huge following, but I feel Parramatta lacks... soul... when it comes to football. You walk around Penrith, and you can feel a Panthers presence. There a companies like "Panthers Concreting" and companies adopting Penrith's colours as theirs. You don't see that in Parramatta.

It was interesting hearing Phil Gould talk about relocation, and how he worked hard to get Penrith right financially. Because he felt if they kept running the way they were, and the NRL decided to relocate clubs, they would have been one of the first nominated.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126064
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by greeneyed » July 18, 2019, 4:18 pm

But no one on the northern beaches feels any affinity with eastern Sydney... on the other side of the harbour. Half the time, it takes an hour just to get off the peninsula. It is too georgraphically separate.

On Penrith, Gould is right. It is reflected in their crowds and TV ratings. If it is a choice for the NRL between the Eels and Panthers... they'd choose the Eels. A super club, the Parramatta Panthers would be huge, given the juniors and financial resources.
Image

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6921
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by gergreg » July 18, 2019, 5:01 pm

The only Sydney sides I could see dying are the Tigers and Sharks. I think the Roosters are a good prospect of relocating to Adelaide. An incredibly successful club with no fans.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126064
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by greeneyed » July 18, 2019, 5:17 pm

They got no one to their last game in Adelaide either. I used to think Adelaide was important as a TV market, but I'm not sure it will ever work there, and the relative size of that market has declined.
Image

Cranky Old Man
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 906
Joined: February 12, 2013, 11:11 pm
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by Cranky Old Man » July 18, 2019, 11:28 pm

Adelaide is a declining market both demographically and economically. It is never going to be an NRL town.
Easts are a club with an uncertain future which is hidden by its current success. They have no juniors, no viable junior competition and few supporters, albeit those few supporters they have include several of the richest people in sydney. But those rich supporters are mostly my age or older and I don't see many replacements coming through. Indeed I am told that Polites is a turnoff to many other supporters.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17580
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by -PJ- » July 31, 2019, 3:52 pm

Courier Mail is reporting Justin. Holbrook has agreed to a 2yr deal to coach the Tits..


Good luck Justin..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6680
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by zim » July 31, 2019, 3:53 pm

Is 2 years an unusual contract length for a new head coach? Seems a year too short.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17580
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by -PJ- » July 31, 2019, 4:54 pm

I'm guessing all involved are expecting things to head south and the pay out is less....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
I am not an alcoholic, I'm a binge drinker lacking opportunity..

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6921
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by gergreg » July 31, 2019, 5:34 pm

Poor bastard. It'll take at least three years just to clean up that roster.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22571
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by Northern Raider » July 31, 2019, 5:44 pm

gergreg wrote:
July 31, 2019, 5:34 pm
Poor bastard. It'll take at least three years just to clean up that roster.
My thoughts exactly. 2 years aint a lotta time to fix that basket case. I guess they will know mid way through his 2nd year whether he's at least on the right track and can extend from there.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30393
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by dubby » July 31, 2019, 5:48 pm

Terrible decision as a coach.

Not sure who else is around though.

Griffin has been mooted, not sure why he didn't get the job.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1821
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by Coastalraider » July 31, 2019, 6:19 pm

This joint needs a hard nosed, experienced coach who isn’t afraid to clear the deadwood, and has enough of a profile to attract a couple of name players to start the transition.

It doesn’t really matter how good a coach Holbrook is, I can’t see him being the right personality to get the coast behind him, and rebuild a club.

They should of absolutely thrown the cheque book at Kevvie as a leader style coach, and put some really high quality assistants below him to help with the day to day technicalities if a head coach role. Like Furner.

I can’t help but feel this is going to dig the hole deeper.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30100
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by -TW- » July 31, 2019, 6:28 pm

Boyd's out for the rest of the season.. not that it will be a big loss

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk


User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30393
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by dubby » July 31, 2019, 6:43 pm

Big as in dollars paid

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13167
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by bonehead » July 31, 2019, 7:15 pm

It's spine killing them imo.

Gordon, Tyrone, Taylor/Jacks/Brimson, Peats just isn't good enough.

Look at the pack, probably a decent edge short.
Arrow
Wallace
James
Proctor
Cartwright
Boyd
Whitbread

Backs should be competitive, Peachey, Kelly, Brenko and Sami not horrible.

Get a decent scout/recruitment person, why did they punt Dave Hamilton?

Clear out Taylor, Peachey, Cartwright and Boyd then buy a good fullback like Val Holmes and a couple of backs, find a value backrower.
Or scrap all that and throw the bank at the 3 trbo boys.

Edrick The Entertainer

User avatar
RTW
David Furner
Posts: 3454
Joined: July 29, 2008, 7:05 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley
Location: Brisbane

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by RTW » July 31, 2019, 7:20 pm

dubby wrote:Terrible decision as a coach.

Not sure who else is around though.

Griffin has been mooted, not sure why he didn't get the job.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Interested in your reasoning behind this being a terrible decision?


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 126064
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by greeneyed » July 31, 2019, 7:34 pm

Justin Holbrook appointed as Gold Coast Titans head coach

The Gold Coast Titans can confirm the appointment of Justin Holbook as the NRL club’s Head Coach for at least the next two seasons. Holbrook, currently the Head Coach of Super League leaders St Helens, will join the Titans in November to begin the club’s pre-season preparations for the 2020 season.

Read more: https://www.titans.com.au/news/2019/07/ ... ead-coach/
Image

User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43016
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by The Rickman » August 1, 2019, 12:06 pm

RTW wrote:
July 31, 2019, 7:20 pm
dubby wrote:Terrible decision as a coach.

Not sure who else is around though.

Griffin has been mooted, not sure why he didn't get the job.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Interested in your reasoning behind this being a terrible decision?


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Because he hates everybody, duh!!
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 30100
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by -TW- » August 1, 2019, 12:12 pm

RTW wrote:
dubby wrote:Terrible decision as a coach.

Not sure who else is around though.

Griffin has been mooted, not sure why he didn't get the job.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Interested in your reasoning behind this being a terrible decision?


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Everything's a terrible decision

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk


User avatar
The Rickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43016
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by The Rickman » August 1, 2019, 1:14 pm

Bit of an Echo there, Timmy.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 30393
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: Western Sydney

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by dubby » August 1, 2019, 9:14 pm

RTW wrote:
dubby wrote:Terrible decision as a coach.

Not sure who else is around though.

Griffin has been mooted, not sure why he didn't get the job.



Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Interested in your reasoning behind this being a terrible decision?


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
They need a coach that is NRL proven. A coach that has the credibility and attraction in the eyes of extant NRL players.

Who is Justin Holbrook? Why would any player be interested in playing for him? What does he bring that other coaches don't? What advantages does he have over the likes of Griffin?

The fact they didn't even interview other coaches is a grievous mistake.

Titans cannot afford to fail any longer. They're existing on the back of generous and altruistic owners, but they won't be like the Penns and invest their money for as long IMO. Not unless they start winning.

Its a massive risk to put your club's immediate success and viability in a NRL rookie coach.




Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Image

User avatar
BJ
David Furner
Posts: 3662
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Gold Coast Titans 2019

Post by BJ » August 3, 2019, 11:17 am

I do wonder if the Titans should just try and go Queensland legends all the way.

Have Meninga, Walters and then try and get people like King Wally, Langer, Thurston etc involved as well.

You would at the very least sure up Queensland support for the club.

Post Reply