Inglis banned for two Tests, loses Kangaroos captaincy

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Greg Inglis charged with drink driving, speeding just hours after being named Kangaroos captain

NRL star Greg Inglis has been charged with speeding and drink driving, just hours after being named captain of the Australian rugby league team.

The ABC understands Inglis was returning to Sydney from Dubbo where he had been attending the Koori Knockout, an Indigenous football competition in Dubbo.

"Officers attached to the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command were conducting stationary speed enforcement on the Great Western Highway at Lithgow when they detected a black Mercedes-Benz travelling above the speed limit," NSW Police said in a statement.

"Police stopped the car and performed a roadside breath test on the 31-year-old driver, a man from Coogee, which allegedly returned a positive reading," the statement said.

Read more: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-01/n ... g/10326372
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Re: 2018 Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by Chickas shoe »

double points too - farewell licence you'd have to think
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

RedRaider wrote:$1400 fine to Munster for kicking a player on the ground. Still named by Mal in the Australian team. C'mon Mal, find a Doctor who will rule him out as injured. DCE was such a 'star' for Manly this year and Munster is a grub on field who was sent home from the last Kangaroos tour for his off field behavior. NZ and Tonga have been given a leg up imo.

Also just heard a news report that new Australian Captain Greg Inglis has been pulled over for drink driving when returning from the Koori tournament in Dubbo.
Munster wasn't sent home from the World Cup squad, he had to face the board, then came back to camp
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Chicka's shoe wrote: October 2, 2018, 8:54 am Greg Inglis charged with drink driving, speeding just hours after being named Kangaroos captain

NRL star Greg Inglis has been charged with speeding and drink driving, just hours after being named captain of the Australian rugby league team.

The ABC understands Inglis was returning to Sydney from Dubbo where he had been attending the Koori Knockout, an Indigenous football competition in Dubbo.

"Officers attached to the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command were conducting stationary speed enforcement on the Great Western Highway at Lithgow when they detected a black Mercedes-Benz travelling above the speed limit," NSW Police said in a statement.

"Police stopped the car and performed a roadside breath test on the 31-year-old driver, a man from Coogee, which allegedly returned a positive reading," the statement said.

Just use the Slater defence:

-Its not my go
-I planned on executing a sober drive, but the RBT pulled me up early before the alcohol wore off
-Ive been been clocked at training travelling 180km/h in my Mercedes, so 10km/h over really isn't that big a deal
-Ive never done anything bad before (that you have charged me for)
-It may be my last Kangaroos game (please give me sympathy)
-Don't you know Im kind of a big deal??
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Coastalraider wrote:
Chicka's shoe wrote: October 2, 2018, 8:54 am Greg Inglis charged with drink driving, speeding just hours after being named Kangaroos captain

-Its not my go
-I planned on executing a sober drive, but the RBT pulled me up early before the alcohol wore off
-Ive been been clocked at training travelling 180km/h in my Mercedes, so 10km/h over really isn't that big a deal
Nailed it!!!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:

-Its not my go
Haha. I remember years ago John Singleton got off a speeding charge because his sports car was designed to be driven at speed, or something similar.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Greg Inglis charged with drink driving

Post by greeneyed »

Greg Inglis says actions 'not good enough', but isn't standing down as Australian captain

A contrite Greg Inglis has faced the media to admit he has let people down after he was allegedly caught drink driving and speeding on Monday, but says he won't be standing down as captain of the Australian rugby league team.

"I'm sincerely apologetic and hopefully this can get sorted and we can move on from this," Inglis said in Sydney on Tuesday. "As a player, as a person in this community, it's not good enough.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5079p.html

I wonder how Josh Papalii feels about that... I guess he has to face court and be found guilty first? As I recall, Papalii was dropped, but only after found guilty.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Greg Inglis charged with drink driving

Post by RTW »

I will admit that a lot of the Slater bashing over the past week was tall poppy syndrome and hot off the back of that a lot of NSW fans will be ready to crucify Inglis but in this case it is justified.
He recorded a blood alcohol level of 0.085 after having already been driving for approx 3 hours. Not only this it he was speeding at the same time.

He should not only lose his captaincy but his place in the team.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What's the GE punishment?

He should have stood down from the series IMO.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think he should be stood down from the squad. You can't have the Australian captain drink driving.

I don't know what the ARLC will do though... their standard position has been they won't act until the courts have decided guilt.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:I think he should be stood down from the squad. You can't have the Australian captain drink driving.

I don't know what the ARLC will do though... their standard position has been they won't act until the courts have decided guilt.
But nobody pleads not guilty to mid range drink driving. It should be pretty easy to determine guilt.

Surely losing the captaincy isn’t enough? He needs to lose his position in the squad as well.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

He’s been suspended for two matches

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote: October 2, 2018, 3:00 pm
greeneyed wrote:I think he should be stood down from the squad. You can't have the Australian captain drink driving.

But nobody pleads not guilty to mid range drink driving. It should be pretty easy to determine guilt.

Surely losing the captaincy isn’t enough? He needs to lose his position in the squad as well.
But I said he should be stood down from the squad...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Newly appointed Australian captain Greg Inglis pleaded to retain the job and apologised for letting down those who view him as a role model after being charged with drink driving on Monday but the NRL has banned him for two Tests, stripping him of the captaincy.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/02/sou ... s-control/

NRL Media Release

Greg Inglis will miss the Kangaroos' matches against New Zealand and Tonga after being suspended for two games today.

Australian Coach Mal Meninga and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg agreed on the sanction after the Australian captain was charged with drink driving and speeding yesterday.

They said it was important to uphold the principles of the RISE values (Respect, Inspire, Selfless, Excellence), adopted by the Kangaroos.

Inglis, who today apologised for the breach, said he accepted the decision.

"I know I did the wrong thing and, while I am disappointed at missing the tour, I accept the penalty," he said.

Mr Greenberg said it was a difficult decision to suspend Inglis who had such an exemplary record over a long period of time.

"Greg is not just a great player, he is one of our best role models, but he made a poor decision on this occasion," he said.

"He deserves full credit for being upfront today by apologising and taking full ownership of his mistake.

"It is a mark of the man that he has accepted responsibility for his actions and I have no doubt he will overcome this setback and retain his status as a true leader in our game."

Mr Meninga said Inglis would be welcomed back into the Kangaroos by his team mates and management.

"I hope to see him back in a Kangaroos jersey next year," he said.

"Greg has been an integral part of the team for many years and I expect him to be back."

Mal said the RISE values were important in ensuring players recognised the need to do the right thing on and off the field.

"No one respects those values more than Greg and we look forward to him returning to the team next year.

"Greg was in fact an integral part of the creation of the RISE values.

"As a result he's accepted the penalty and I think he has shown real leadership by the way he has been accountable for his actions."
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Inglis banned for two Tests, loses Kangaroos captaincy

Post by Rick »

Interesting they are being coy about his future as Captain....

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

so Cotric or Leilua to join the Australian squad in GI's absence?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Is this the shortest captaincy ever?

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Is this the shortest captaincy ever?

It’s up there with Mal’s political career

RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:
RTW wrote: October 2, 2018, 3:00 pm

But I said he should be stood down from the squad...
That you did, sorry GE.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Dont worry GI brah, Rusty will fix it..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Two matches is disgraceful.The part that doesn't seem to be getting enough traction in the press is that they picked him up three hours away from where he started. If he blew that high then, how off his head was he when he started the journey?

The press conference was disgusting. No personal responsibility, no humility, no accepting of the consequences, he genuinely thinks that a drink-driving domestic abuser like him is perfectly suitable as an Australian Captain.

**** me, I'd sooner have Smith back.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

raiderskater wrote:Two matches is disgraceful.The part that doesn't seem to be getting enough traction in the press is that they picked him up three hours away from where he started. If he blew that high then, how off his head was he when he started the journey?

The press conference was disgusting. No personal responsibility, no humility, no accepting of the consequences, he genuinely thinks that a drink-driving domestic abuser like him is perfectly suitable as an Australian Captain.

**** me, I'd sooner have Smith back.

Further to this he must and it is only speculation but he must have had at least two hours of his drive to go.

I think it is save to assume he doesn’t live at Mt Druitt!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RTW wrote: Further to this he must and it is only speculation but he must have had at least two hours of his drive to go.
Not at the speed he was going ImageImage

On a serious note, what a tool.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Thank goodness, at least we wont have to suffer through sound bites of a man who is basically unable to articulate any coherent thought. I dont need anymore of Captain Inglis humbling and bumbling his way through softball questions
And im grading on a professional athlete scale
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I was going to look for a silver lining and say at least there were no scandals during his reign, then remembered the reason he was dropped.
At least he can go out knowing he never lost a game as captain..

I reckon he’s blown his chance. Cordner won’t be replaced now

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cordner will probably be made captain, and like Fittler, he's been hit on the **** by a rainbow. Neither would have ever made Australian captain, given the other players who were more qualified for the job... but for "timing". Daley was certainly more deserving and was stripped of the job by a vengeful ARL.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

You really struggle to say anything positive about any NSW representative that's never played for the Raiders don't you GE.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2018, 5:16 am You really struggle to say anything positive about any NSW representative that's never played for the Raiders don't you GE.
No.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I tend to agree with GE here.

No doubt Cordner is a great player. At this stage he’s not in the upper echelon of players who usually become Australian captain.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:You really struggle to say anything positive about any NSW representative that's never played for the Raiders don't you GE.
Settle down, Josh McGuire would make a fantastic Kangaroos captain.

But seriously I don't see who else in the side would make a better captain than Cordner.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2018, 5:16 am You really struggle to say anything positive about any NSW representative that's never played for the Raiders don't you GE.
No.
Sprinkle a bit of positivity on us GE
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Is there a vice captain named.. looking at the squad I guess dce would be next in line..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2018, 7:44 am
greeneyed wrote:
No.
Peter Sterling is terribly underrated by rugby league historians and is possibly the best half back I've ever seen play. His battle for supremacy with Steve Mortimer, another incredibly talented half back... well those were the days.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 3, 2018, 7:44 am
greeneyed wrote:
No.
Peter Sterling is terribly underrated by rugby league historians and is possibly the best half back I've ever seen play. His battle for supremacy with Steve Mortimer, another incredibly talented half back... well those were the days.

I see what you have done here. Well played GE!
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

gergreg wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:You really struggle to say anything positive about any NSW representative that's never played for the Raiders don't you GE.
Settle down, Josh McGuire would make a fantastic Kangaroos captain.

But seriously I don't see who else in the side would make a better captain than Cordner.
I had Jake Trbojevic ahead of Cordner at the start of the state of origin series however Cordner has well and truly cemented his spot.

With an eye to the future Trbojevic would be my pick as VC.