2018 Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL grand final
Sunday, September 30, ANZ Stadium, 7.20pm

Storm: 1. Billy Slater, 2. Suliasi Vunivalu, 3. Will Chambers, 4. Curtis Scott, 5. Josh Addo-Carr, 6. Cameron Munster, 7. Brodie Croft, 8. Jesse Bromwich, 9. Cameron Smith, 10. Tim Glasby, 11. Felise Kaufusi, 12. Joe Stimson, 13. Dale Finucane
Interchange: 14. Kenny Bromwich, 15. Christian Welch, 16. Brandon Smith, 17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
Reserves: 18. Ryan Hoffman, 19. Jahrome Hughes, 20. Sam Kasiano, 21. Cheyse Blair

Roosters: 1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Latrell Mitchell 4. Joseph Manu 5. Blake Ferguson 6. Luke Keary 7. Mitchell Aubusson 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Jake Friend (c) 10. Siosiua Taukeiaho 11. Boyd Cordner (c) 12. Isaac Liu 13. Victor Radley
Interchange: 14. Dylan Napa 15. Zane Tetevano 16. Paul Momirovski 17. Ryan Matterson
Reserves: 18. Lindsay Collins 19. Nat Butcher 20. Sean O’Sullivan 23. Cooper Cronk

NRL State Championship grand final
Sunday, September 30, ANZ Stadium, 3.40pm

Canterbury Bulldogs: 1. Mason Cerruto 2. Josh Bergamin 3. Morgan Harper 4. John Olive 5. Jayden Okunbor 6. Josh Cleeland 7. Nu Brown 8. Renouf To’omaga 9. Zac Woolford 10. Francis Tualau 11. Ofahiki Ogden 12. Rhyse Martin 13. Greg Eastwood
Interchange: 14. Bronson Garlick 15. Lachlan Burr 16. Jack Nelson 17. Chris Smith 19. Zac Cardassilaris

Redcliffe Dolphins: 1 Trai Fuller, 2 Josh Beehag, 3 Kotoni Staggs, 4 Tom Opacic, 5 Jeremy Hawkins, 6 Bryce Donovan, 7 Cameron Cullen (c), 16 Nathan Watts, 9 Jake Turpin, 10 Sam Anderson, 14 Myles Taueli, 11 Toby Rudolf, 13 Jamil Hopoate.
Interchange: 8 Nick Slyney, 12 Aaron Whitchurch, 15 James Taylor, 17 Hugh Pratt,
Reserves: 19 Scott Schulte, 22 Tom Geraghty

NRLW grand final
Sunday, September 30, ANZ Stadium, 1.35pm

Broncos: 1. Chelsea Baker, 2. Julia Robinson, 3. Meg Ward, 4. Amber Pilley, 5. Karley Te Kawa 6. Kimiora Nati, 7. Ali Brigginshaw, 8. Heather Ballinger, 9. Brittany Breayley, 10. Steph Hancock, 11. Teuila Fotu-Moala, 12. Maitua Feterika, 13. Rona Peters
Interchange: 14. Lavinia Gould, 15. Chelsea Lenarduzzi, 16. Mariah Storch, 17. Ngatotokoru Arakua
Reserves: 18. Tallesha Harden, 19. Amelia Kuk, 20. Kody House, 21. Lilieta Maumau

Roosters: 1. Karina Brown 2. Brydie Parker 3. Shontelle Stowers 4. Isabelle Kelly 5. Taleena Simon 6. Lavina O’Mealey 7. Zahara Temara 8. Ruan Sims 9. Nita Maynard 10. Elianna Walton 11. Tazmin Gray 12. Vanessa Foliaki 13. Simaima Taufa
Interchange: 14. Kylie Hilder 15. Sarah Togatuki 16. Chloe Caldwell 17. Victoria Latu
Reserves: 18. Maddison Studdon, 19. Kandy Kennedy, 20. Quincy Dodd 21. Botille Vette-Welsh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2018 Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Slater found not guilty, free to play grand final

Melbourne superstar Billy Slater is free to play in the 2018 Telstra Premiership grand final after being cleared of a grade one shoulder charge at the NRL judiciary on Tuesday night.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/25/bil ... and-final/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Correct outcome.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Correct outcome.
In what way? He was charged with making a shoulder charge. He got found not guilty of making a shoulder charge. Do you honestly believe that he didn't make a shoulder charge?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote:
In what way? He was charged with making a shoulder charge. He got found not guilty of making a shoulder charge. Do you honestly believe that he didn't make a shoulder charge?
The defence argued he used his hands in the tackle. I presume that’s why he was found not guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Yes!!!! Image

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
The defence argued he used his hands in the tackle. I presume that’s why he was found not guilty.

That's not what I asked. You said that it was the correct outcome. That implies that you either believe that it wasn't a shoulder charge, or that the rules shouldn't apply to Slater. Which is it?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy free to play in the GF is the correct outcome according to the rules. The player only has to attempt to make a tackle with an arm for it not to be deemed a shoulder charge. The front on shots show Billy Slaters right arm across the chest of Feki with an open hand. A clear attempt at a tackle as the definition is written. There will be plenty of Slater/Storm haters who will not see it this way, but I think they got it right.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What horse **** Red. One still shot where his right hand is raised does not constitute a tackle.

He was running at Feki with his chest square to him. As he approached Feki, he turned his chest away and his his shoulder towards Feki. He then collides with Feki with impact from his shoulder. If he was attempting to tackle him, he wouldn't turn away from him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

That's not what I asked. You said that it was the correct outcome. That implies that you either believe that it wasn't a shoulder charge, or that the rules shouldn't apply to Slater. Which is it?
I believe it was the correct outcome. The judiciary ruled that under the current rules it wasn’t a shoulder charge. I believe that even if it was considered a “shoulder charge” under the rules it shouldn’t have been. There was no dangerous contact. Forceful is not the correct terminology to use in describing an illegal tackle in our game, as there’s forceful contact in every tackle.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

I believe it was the correct outcome. The judiciary ruled that under the current rules it wasn’t a shoulder charge. I believe that even if it was considered a “shoulder charge” under the rules it shouldn’t have been. There was no dangerous contact. Forceful is not the correct terminology to use in describing an illegal tackle in our game, as there’s forceful contact in every tackle.

It doesn't matter whether or not you agree with the rules. It doesn't matter whether or not the judiciary believe in the rules their job is to enforce them.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And they found him not guilty.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:And they found him not guilty.
Which brings us back to the question, do you think that wasn't a shoulder charge?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So Joe Tapine gets a 2 game suspension for a shoulder charge and Billy Slater gets 0 games for what looked a worse shoulder charge? The NRL is pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Which brings us back to the question, do you think that wasn't a shoulder charge?
It’s been ruled not to be a Grade 1 shoulder charge by the judiciary.

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I hope Napa takes the EDIT out with a shoulder charge.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Looks like Dr. Zaius has everything under control here representing the camp of rational thought.

I hope Red Raider is never on a jury. I mean there’s video where I run at the guy and stab him in the chest, but look after I do that my momentum causes my other arm to go around him and then I gently lower him to the ground. So what I was really trying to do was cuddle him, and must never have stabbed him at all! I must be found innocent of murder your honour!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

While this ridiculous situation has been unfolding the NRL have appointed Sutton and Klein as referees. Apparently the Storm have won 12 of their past 13 under Sutton.

Man this sport is tough to follow.

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 25, 2018, 9:35 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

It wasn’t a shoulder charge. What part of that don’t you understand?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
It’s been ruled not to be a Grade 1 shoulder charge by the judiciary.

The fact that you won't answer the question says it all GE.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Judging by the NRL talk shows, various NRL forums, comments in the print media and punters on call back radio, the overwhelming majority of people believe that it was a shoulder charge. You know it, I know it, Billy Slater knows it and I dare say that the judiciary knows it. Now the NRL will undoubtedly come up with some technicality that was conveniently ruled on, but the perception out there is that that technicality is that he was Billy Slater. The guy has done some pretty grubby things throughout his career and never been held to account. Who can blame people for thinking that this is just more of the same?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: September 25, 2018, 8:53 pm Correct outcome.
Of course he was always going to play, they'd engraved his name into the CCM two days ago.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 26, 2018, 6:25 am Judging by the NRL talk shows, various NRL forums, comments in the print media and punters on call back radio, the overwhelming majority of people believe that it was a shoulder charge. You know it, I know it, Billy Slater knows it and I dare say that the judiciary knows it. Now the NRL will undoubtedly come up with some technicality that was conveniently ruled on, but the perception out there is that that technicality is that he was Billy Slater. The guy has done some pretty grubby things throughout his career and never been held to account. Who can blame people for thinking that this is just more of the same?
100% Dr.

And from this day forward any player charged by the MRC/Judiciary for a shoulder charge takes footage of Billys tackle into the hearing..

If it was rnd 10 Billy cops a week....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: September 25, 2018, 10:47 pm While this ridiculous situation has been unfolding the NRL have appointed Sutton and Klein as referees. Apparently the Storm have won 12 of their past 13 under Sutton.

Man this sport is tough to follow.

Sutton was the ref who escaped punishment from the Shark Park screw up yes ?

While the bloke with the flag is now a linesman for 3rd division in Moscow...

Oh sorry..he (Sutton) didn't escape punishment..he was given the Titans game.. :roflmao
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

What an absolute farce. To think that Tapine missed those important games for us due to a shoulder charge that essentially identical to this.

Greeneyed - do you honestly think this was not a shoulder charge? By your logic, the Shark's try against the Raiders with flag-gate was a try because "the video ref found it to be a try".
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

This might be incredibly petty. But I must admit I’m getting a bit of pleasure out of one of our junior flop halves meaning Easts are going to have to play a backrower at halfback in a gram final.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Actually makes the game worse having Billy Slater there, due to the absence of Cooper Cronk.

Storm should win comfortably. Fingers crossed Smith departs with Slater. Enjoy your fairy tale finish while everyone else rejoice's that those 2 flogs never have to grace the park again.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote: September 26, 2018, 9:19 am What an absolute farce. To think that Tapine missed those important games for us due to a shoulder charge that essentially identical to this.

Greeneyed - do you honestly think this was not a shoulder charge? By your logic, the Shark's try against the Raiders with flag-gate was a try because "the video ref found it to be a try".
The defence argued that his hands were involved, as I understand it. And if that is what they accepted (I've yet to see any statement from the judiciary members or chair or the NRL on the matter), under the rules, that means it doesn't fit the definition of a shoulder charge.

It is a bit like 2016 and the "shoulder charge" of Jack Wighton. That didn't fit the definition of a shoulder charge at the time either, so it wasn't a shoulder charge either. Actually, in my heart of hearts, I have to say it was a dangerous tackle. And it wiped Joel Edwards out. I was happy Jack could play, from a club centric perspective, but sorry for what happened to Joel.

In the case of the Slater tackle... it wasn't dangerous IMO. It had no adverse consequences for Feki, apart from the fact it stopped him scoring a try. Bottom line is, even if we say it was a shoulder charge, I think the Slater tackle was worth no more than a penalty on field. I don't see why every single shoulder charge should be charged by the MRC.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

sprintman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: September 25, 2018, 9:35 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

It wasn’t a shoulder charge. What part of that don’t you understand?
The part where it actually was a text book shoulder charge.....

El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Definitely a shoulder charge, although I don’t that he got off. Fullbacks do that week in week out and to my knowledge Jack was the only other one to get charged...

How soon IS now?
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

It was as blatant a shoulder charge as I have ever seen. But let's be honest, Slater could have shot Feki and he'd still be lining up this weekend.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It’s funny seeing so many whinging Raiders fans on Facebook about Billy but they didn’t complain when Jack was left off

In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Brew wrote: September 26, 2018, 12:22 pm It’s funny seeing so many whinging Raiders fans on Facebook about Billy but they didn’t complain when Jack was left off

Wasn't Jack found not guilty because Ennis was let off a week earlier ?

Was it a week ? It could have been a few days earlier..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: September 26, 2018, 12:33 pm
Brew wrote: September 26, 2018, 12:22 pm It’s funny seeing so many whinging Raiders fans on Facebook about Billy but they didn’t complain when Jack was left off

Wasn't Jack found not guilty because Ennis was let off a week earlier ?

Was it a week ? It could have been a few days earlier..
No, it was a day earlier. So the inconsistency from the MRC was astounding.

And Brew... there's a lot of Raiders fans here complaining about Billy Slater... who weren't complaining when Jack Wighton was let off... for a more dangerous tackle, really.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

As a raiders fan first and a fan of the game as a whole I just want consistency in all facets of the game. No team or individual player should receive preferential treatment in any aspect of the game. It stinks. The NRL has been pissing down my neck and telling me it's raining for far too long and I'm sick of it.