2018 State of Origin II: New South Wales V Queensland

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: 2018 State of Origin II: New South Wales V Queensland

Post by yeh raiders »

Dunno why you’re bothering Pigman, waste of time!

Time better spent, head over to Fernhill Tavern’s Facebook page and have a laugh reading their player reviews from the game.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I think SOO has taken a turn for the better this year. There is so little between the teams right now and every contest should be a close one. I think the big turning point is Fittler's approach. He's taken the radical step of picking players in form and in their correct position. A real quantum shift for the Blues.

Also, being so close a contest I can't believe QLD went up $3.20 outsiders in betting. Very little between the sides in Game 1 and QLD actually had a better team running out for this one with Slater and Ponga coming in. Gotta love Sportsbet promo with their "8 up, you win". Got the collect after QLD 2nd try.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Rick wrote: June 25, 2018, 10:31 pm
greeneyed wrote:It shouldn’t have been a penalty try... far too far away from the try line. Penalty tries have to be certain tries. That would never have been a penalty try in a club game. It should certainly have been a binning. You don’t get both... the standard refereeing interpretation for an age has been you get one penalty or the other. It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I think it would be a penalty try nowadays, but not pre bunker. On field a referee would not be able to process the evidence quickly enough to be confident of a try. With a replay though, you easily get to follow the ball and defence for long enough after the infringement to see the ball sit up perfectly with no defenders in sight. Assuming Cordner doesn't trip over his own feet he should score.

Opinions will always differ on that sort of call though because it requires human interpretation/judgement. Bias changes everything.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2018, 6:52 pm It shouldn’t have been a penalty try... far too far away from the try line. Penalty tries have to be certain tries. That would never have been a penalty try in a club game. It should certainly have been a binning. You don’t get both... the standard refereeing interpretation for an age has been you get one penalty or the other. It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
Penalty Try
Further, if circumstances warrant it:
‘The Referee (or Review Officials) may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored
but for the unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts irrespective
of where the offence occurred.’ Section 6 (3) (d)

Given the way the ball sat up and the proximity of players to the ball it is completely reasonable to award a penalty try under the circumstances. I understand that you blatant bias against NSW won't allow you to be objective on this one but it is about as clear cut as they get.

Hard to find any information on the number of penalty tries awarded and whether or not a player has been binned as well. I would agree that this is generally the way that things are interpreted but I completely disagree with it. A professional foul should be 10 in the bin, I really don't see how the fact that a penalty try is awarded should impact the decision at all.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pickles wrote: June 26, 2018, 5:09 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2018, 6:52 pm It shouldn’t have been a penalty try... far too far away from the try line. Penalty tries have to be certain tries. That would never have been a penalty try in a club game. It should certainly have been a binning. You don’t get both... the standard refereeing interpretation for an age has been you get one penalty or the other. It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise.
Penalty Try
‘The Referee (or Review Officials) may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored
but for the unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts irrespective

Given the way the ball sat up and the proximity of players to the ball it is completely reasonable to award a penalty try under the circumstances. I understand that you blatant bias against NSW won't allow you to be objective on this one but it is about as clear cut as they get.

Hard to find any information on the number of penalty tries awarded and whether or not a player has been binned as well. I would agree that this is generally the way that things are interpreted but I completely disagree with it. A professional foul should be 10 in the bin, I really don't see how the fact that a penalty try is awarded should impact the decision at all.
I also understand you have blatant bias for New South Wales and you can’t be objective on this one, but penalty tries have long been interpreted as certain tries and that was a long from the in goal and far from certain. Moreover, penalty tries are rarely awarded because the “standard of proof” is very high. The last penalty try in Origin was awarded nearly 40 years ago. The usual standard of proof was not applied on Sunday night.

I don’t have any concern with the first NO TRY for Queensland btw. That was clear cut.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You calling out bias is the definition of stones in glass houses
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Stones in greenhouses
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: June 26, 2018, 6:08 pm You calling out bias is the definition of stones in glass houses
NSW supporters are just as biased as Queensland supporters. You blokes are not holier than thou.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 26, 2018, 8:47 am I think SOO has taken a turn for the better this year. There is so little between the teams right now and every contest should be a close one. I think the big turning point is Fittler's approach. He's taken the radical step of picking players in form and in their correct position. A real quantum shift for the Blues.

Also, being so close a contest I can't believe QLD went up $3.20 outsiders in betting. Very little between the sides in Game 1 and QLD actually had a better team running out for this one with Slater and Ponga coming in. Gotta love Sportsbet promo with their "8 up, you win". Got the collect after QLD 2nd try.
Yeah i agree, the Bull that usually goes with Origin appeared significantly down too. Two really good teams, some of the old timers on both sides having moved on and it almost feels like a fresh start for both sides, a new chapter.

100% on Fitler's team too, finally NSW just picked dudes who can play, rather than look for "origin" players or picking players focused on stopping QLD.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote: June 26, 2018, 7:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 26, 2018, 8:47 am I think SOO has taken a turn for the better this year. There is so little between the teams right now and every contest should be a close one. I think the big turning point is Fittler's approach. He's taken the radical step of picking players in form and in their correct position. A real quantum shift for the Blues.

Yeah i agree, the Bull that usually goes with Origin appeared significantly down too. Two really good teams, some of the old timers on both sides having moved on and it almost feels like a fresh start for both sides, a new chapter.

100% on Fitler's team too, finally NSW just picked dudes who can play, rather than look for "origin" players or picking players focused on stopping QLD.
Roughly translated meaning over rated hacks.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mostly it means no Josh Jackson and Aaron Woods.
So yeah haha
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Who would have thought not coming out in preseason locking in half the origin team would result in success.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Freddie said the team he picked pre-season was vastly different to the one that ran out this series.

Can guarantee those 2 players were in the original roster.

Freddie Fittler has come a long way since his failed stint at the helm of the Roosters. These days, he’s very different when he’s in coaching mode as opposed to channel 9 mode. Deserves all his success.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

greeneyed wrote:
pickles wrote: June 26, 2018, 5:09 pm
Penalty Try

I also understand you have blatant bias for New South Wales and you can’t be objective on this one, but penalty tries have long been interpreted as certain tries and that was a long from the in goal and far from certain. Moreover, penalty tries are rarely awarded because the “standard of proof” is very high. The last penalty try in Origin was awarded nearly 40 years ago. The usual standard of proof was not applied on Sunday night.

I don’t have any concern with the first NO TRY for Queensland btw. That was clear cut.
Unless a sniper shoots cordner he scores that try easily! A lot of it is based on being able to see what the ball did and how easily it was picked up in goal by a player who was meters behind cordner.

Maybe you should dig up one of your old articles on confirmation bias and give that another go!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fair go GE..

Yr a decent human with maroon eyeballs, it was a penalty try every day of the week.

You're hurtin, I get that.

GET USED TO IT.....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I have no doubt that a penalty try was the right call, ultimately. But to use the reason of the ball sitting up with a favourable bounce is one I don't particularly agree with. It sat up perfectly for Chambers (?) but he was well behind Cordner so Cordner wouldn't have got that bounce. But again I think the penalty try was the right call.
Shoving it in your face since 2017