2018 Pacific Tests: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: 2018 Pacific Tests: Teams and Game Day

Post by raiderskater »

The noise is unbelievable. And the flags!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

I live about 3km (straight line distance) away from the stadium and I can hear the crowd from outside my house.

Has been a great game. The Tonga v Samoa matches have been pretty entertaining the past few years

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

FULL TIME

Tonga 38
Samoa 22

Tonga overpowers Samoa in Pacific Test blockbuster

Mate Ma'a Tonga have held off a fast-finishing Samoan outfit to earn a 38-22 victory in front of a packed Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday night.

With the second-tier nation desperate to take on the Kangaroos in a Test match at season's end, the result will only help their cause with a dominant six tries in the opening 24 minutes setting up the win.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/23/ton ... ockbuster/

Papua New Guinea starts fast to stun Fiji in Pacific Test: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/23/pap ... ific-test/
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

If they do this again next year, I might just go up for it. As a chaotic neutral who will cheer for anything cool.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: June 23, 2018, 9:21 pm If they do this again next year, I might just go up for it. As a chaotic neutral who will cheer for anything cool.
No issues with the refs tonight?
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Tonga, NZ and Samoa to play a game Against each other before each origin game has to be a thing.
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

Billy Walker wrote: June 23, 2018, 9:24 pm
raiderskater wrote: June 23, 2018, 9:21 pm If they do this again next year, I might just go up for it. As a chaotic neutral who will cheer for anything cool.
Honestly, I didn't notice. Maybe because I'm not as invested. But I also didn't see the whole game - I came in halfway through the second half.

The Greenhouse

Post by The Greenhouse »

Billy Walker wrote: June 23, 2018, 9:17 pm
Sid wrote: June 23, 2018, 9:13 pm My 3 points goes to the crowd for the atmosphere. Sounds and looks amazing through the tv alone
So how do you capitalise and build on this? Some sort of mini series between Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Fiji to coincide with state of origin with the winner joining Aust and NZ in an end of season tri-series?
New Pacific Championship to give nations regular Tests: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/23/new ... ulartests/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Gotta grow this. The attraction of the soccer World Cup is having any number of teams a genuine chance. Rugby League should be doing everything possible to encourage and grow this
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: June 23, 2018, 9:34 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 23, 2018, 9:24 pm
Honestly, I didn't notice. Maybe because I'm not as invested. But I also didn't see the whole game - I came in halfway through the second half.
Only stirring you Skater. Love your passion for the green machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:
Generally 1 ref games are better refereed
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

CJ42 wrote:Tonga, NZ and Samoa to play a game Against each other before each origin game has to be a thing.
Why before an origin? It gets great crowds in its own right
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote: June 23, 2018, 10:00 pm
CJ42 wrote:Tonga, NZ and Samoa to play a game Against each other before each origin game has to be a thing.
Test matches deserve their own stage. Playing them before an Origin would devalue and disrespect them.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep shouldn't be a side show needs to be built to a main event. The day the Kangaroos are an even money chance against 3 or 4 international teams is the day you'll get big interest in international league
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Billy Walker wrote: June 23, 2018, 10:05 pm
Yep shouldn't be a side show needs to be built to a main event. The day the Kangaroos are an even money chance against 3 or 4 international teams is the day you'll get big interest in international league
just to coincide with bye rounds, give them more games etc. not necesarily at the same ground and same day, day before or something maybe. i dont know. there needs to be more!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Have the 3 origins as stand alone weekends, 3 origin W games on the Friday nights and have a Pacific 4 or even 6 nations (with England and NZ) league where they all play each other
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: June 23, 2018, 11:42 pm Have the 3 origins as stand alone weekends, 3 origin W games on the Friday nights and have a Pacific 4 or even 6 nations (with England and NZ) league where they all play each other
That's not a bad option. Would it be terrible to tinker with origin and make it a try series that includes the winner of an early season pacific/NZ series?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
-TW- wrote: June 23, 2018, 11:42 pm Have the 3 origins as stand alone weekends, 3 origin W games on the Friday nights and have a Pacific 4 or even 6 nations (with England and NZ) league where they all play each other
That's not a bad option. Would it be terrible to tinker with origin and make it a try series that includes the winner of an early season pacific/NZ series?
Yes
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

BadnMean wrote:
LastRaider wrote: June 18, 2018, 4:07 pm
-PJ- wrote:LUKE PAGE

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
You've got to like it. He's like a miniature Darren "Fritzy" Fritz, who as you can see is one of my favourite Raiders.
You’ve got to love the way he runs the ball.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I've got to say that this Representative weekend has been fantastic. I've enjoyed it more than a standard NRL Round. I'd be happy to see them trial all three Origins on Sunday nights next year and expand the concept.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 24, 2018, 11:10 am I've got to say that this Representative weekend has been fantastic. I've enjoyed it more than a standard NRL Round. I'd be happy to see them trial all three Origins on Sunday nights next year and expand the concept.
I think they could easily overdo it though. Tonga games are great but they might lose their appeal if they were on 3 times in the middle of the year.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

3 x Women’s Origin on Friday nights under 18’s women’s club school girls and Qld residents v NSW residents before hand.

Pacific nations challenge rotate who you play between Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG double headers on Saturday nights.
MNorthern Hemisphere challenge rotate who you play between Ireland, France, Wales, Scotland double header.

Men’s Origin on Sunday night.
18’s schoolboys, club and opens residents game before hand.

If you time the Northern Hemisphere games right you could televise all 4 games one after each other.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

edwahu wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: June 24, 2018, 11:10 am I've got to say that this Representative weekend has been fantastic. I've enjoyed it more than a standard NRL Round. I'd be happy to see them trial all three Origins on Sunday nights next year and expand the concept.
I think they could easily overdo it though. Tonga games are great but they might lose their appeal if they were on 3 times in the middle of the year.
You'd definitely have to be careful. As RTW suggested, you could have the woman's as a 3 match series. You could rotate the Pacific tests around, even introduce NZ and England into that equation, provided that they still played each other in the states. The Pacific Island games would probably draw a good crowd in Melbourne and Auckland, and 1 or 2 could be taken to the islands or Port Moresby.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I quite like Wayne Bennett idea of a month of representative games with no club games. We could then have a Pacific test series, SOO and a nines contest

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

LastRaider wrote:I quite like Wayne Bennett idea of a month of representative games with no club games. We could then have a Pacific test series, SOO and a nines contest

The mofo has been reading my Fuiverse posts!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2018 Pacific Tests: Teams and Game Day

Post by Sid »

Hingano out for the season with an ankle syndesmosis he picked up in the test.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine