2018 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
13%
Blues 1-12
50%
Maroons 1-12
38%
Maroons 13+
No votes

Total votes: 8

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: 2018 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Post by the bone »

I think they’ll go with Morgan as the 14. Ponga is a great talent, but I don’t see how he’d be useful as a bench utility. Where are you going to play him? Slater should be at fullback for the full 80, and you wouldn’t stick Ponga in the middle, so he’d really only be on the bench to cover outside back injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I saw Chambers lift the knee into a tackle earlier in the game as well. He's got issues
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

Interesting game. Two key things for mind;
- Qld clearly missing the guidance and direction of the old heads in the spine.
- Qld need to seriously work on their defence in the middle, 3 of 4 NSW tries came from breaks through the middle of the ruck.

I thought Hunt and Munster played OK as individual players, but weren’t steering the ship like JT, Smith or Cronk would have done. They were outplayed by a very strong Maloney. They’re just going to have to learn by experience I suppose as I’m not sure what other options are out there.

I don’t know about wholesale changes to the forwards, except McGuire can GTFO. He was either incredibly underdone or unbelievably lazy. In Origin who turns their back on the play the ball and dawdles back to the line? Or in only the 10th or so minute jogs a 4th tackle hit up?

The reffing was a bit bizarre at times, very much a Laissez faire approach to the ruck, a couple of odd interpretations, (“he was trying to offload” suddenly makes a 2 man strip ok?) How the last pass for the Addo-Carr try wasn’t called forward I don’t know. Par for the course at club level I suppose, won the lottery this time.

It was interesting the NSW edge defence was strongly questioned in the lead up, but I thought it was fine. Qld made some metres there but little in the way of outright breaks, even with Inglis on the angry pills!

All in all as Qlders we’re seeing the end of an era, with the big four retiring we’re very much being brought back to the field. I except a return to see-sawing series.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:
Captain Punish wrote: June 6, 2018, 10:56 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Rabs reckons GI is the 4th indigenous captain. I can think of Ardy and Mal but who am I missing?
Laurie? Did he?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Edit. - QLD.

I have NFI.
It wouldn't be Sam Backo or Smoking Joe Kilroy - did Renouf ever get the (c) for some obscure reason?
Gorden Tallis
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Paps was great for QLD. Really coming into his own in the middle.
So good to win a game and feel like there's more improvement.

Was really puzzled QLD kept bombing Turbo. His efforts seemed to get stronger and stronger the more they went to him.
Cook and Teddy killed it.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance

Post by Greedysmurf »

Billy Walker wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:12 pm I saw Chambers lift the knee into a tackle earlier in the game as well. He's got issues
Is that the one where Cook went down injured for a bit? I agree and think the review committee needs to look at that.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Greedysmurf wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:12 pm Interesting game. Two key things for mind;
- Qld clearly missing the guidance and direction of the old heads in the spine.
- Qld need to seriously work on their defence in the middle, 3 of 4 NSW tries came from breaks through the middle of the ruck.

I thought Hunt and Munster played OK as individual players, but weren’t steering the ship like JT, Smith or Cronk would have done. They were outplayed by a very strong Maloney. They’re just going to have to learn by experience I suppose as I’m not sure what other options are out there.

I don’t know about wholesale changes to the forwards, except McGuire can GTFO. He was either incredibly underdone or unbelievably lazy. In Origin who turns their back on the play the ball and dawdles back to the line? Or in only the 10th or so minute jogs a 4th tackle hit up?

The reffing was a bit bizarre at times, very much a Laissez faire approach to the ruck, a couple of odd interpretations, (“he was trying to offload” suddenly makes a 2 man strip ok?) How the last pass for the Addo-Carr try wasn’t called forward I don’t know. Par for the course at club level I suppose, won the lottery this time.

It was interesting the NSW edge defence was strongly questioned in the lead up, but I thought it was fine. Qld made some metres there but little in the way of outright breaks, even with Inglis on the angry pills!

All in all as Qlders we’re seeing the end of an era, with the big four retiring we’re very much being brought back to the field. I except a return to see-sawing series.
First game back from injury. They really should have started Papalii over him.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:12 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Captain Punish wrote: June 6, 2018, 10:56 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Rabs reckons GI is the 4th indigenous captain. I can think of Ardy and Mal but who am I missing?
Laurie? Did he?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Edit. - QLD.

I have NFI.
It wouldn't be Sam Backo or Smoking Joe Kilroy - did Renouf ever get the (c) for some obscure reason?
Gorden Tallis
Think we have a winner! Lockyer injured or did he play on after Locky and take the (c)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Greedysmurf wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:15 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:12 pm I saw Chambers lift the knee into a tackle earlier in the game as well. He's got issues
Is that the one where Cook went down injured for a bit? I agree and think the review committee needs to look at that.
He's been charged for that one but won't miss a game. He did it first half as well with no damage and also did it twice in a club game a week or so ago.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance

Post by Greedysmurf »

the bone wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:11 pm I think they’ll go with Morgan as the 14. Ponga is a great talent, but I don’t see how he’d be useful as a bench utility. Where are you going to play him? Slater should be at fullback for the full 80, and you wouldn’t stick Ponga in the middle, so he’d really only be on the bench to cover outside back injuries.
I agree and think Ponga simply needs to wait his turn until next year. Unless Slater is not fit for game 2 anyway. I like Michael Morgan and thought he had a good game tonight (a couple of execution errors aside) but Ponga in 1 would be pretty exciting I think.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

If you've got Morgan on the bench is there any value keeping Milf there? Bring in another forward?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Tallis was appointed captain in 2001 and got injured, then was for 2002 and 2003

7 games total
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:23 pm Tallis was appointed captain in 2001 and got injured, then was for 2002 and 2003

7 games total
Cheers!

He was a fair origin player!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

A good win to NSW particularly with 11 debutants. Although Teddy was best on ground, I thought Cook ran him a close second and was the best debutant out there tonight. Turbo Tom was fabulous and the NSW forwards did their job. The Maloney pass to Addo-Carr was clearly meters forward and should have been called by the on ground officials. Cleary was strong defensively and can sure take a hit. He will need to improve his kicking and find grass more often, but as a first SOO game he looked right at home.

After all these years with players who could control a match, Qld looked directionless to me. Their points off an intercept and a poor Addo-Carr attempt at cleaning up a kick said a lot. They looked like a Legion of the Lost out there. Slater will improve the Qld side. In the next match I expect Qld to move the ball to Inglis more often to allow him to exploit James Roberts defence. I also expect them to bomb Addo-Carr more often.

Game 2 will be on a Sunday in Sydney. I would expect the same side to be named for NSW barring injury. Winning form is good form. I still think Cotric is a better winger than Addo-Carr particularly in defending kicks and on kick returns. NSW have the opportunity to seal the series in Sydney. How good would that be for a such rookie side.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

NSW backs struggled to make metres out of their own end all game. I definitely think there’s a spot for a bigger, stronger body to get the early roll on in the sets (Cotric)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Rabs also said Ado-Carr and Vunivalu debuted on both wings for the Tigers at Leichhardt, and Melbourne got them both.

Vunivalu’s been with Melb since day dot, so he’s as reliable as Wikipedia these days
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Crichton is probably the only concern out of the 17 for me. Produced 2 silly offloads because he got dominated in tackles, one very nearly caused an error. Just looked out of his depth and out of position. Bigger body like Sims would’ve been the better pick I reckon.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

There is zero chance of NSW including Cotric without an injury. Dreaming guys.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

gangrenous wrote: June 7, 2018, 8:18 am There is zero chance of NSW including Cotric without an injury. Dreaming guys.
Agreed. Both our wingers are born for rep footy and played well
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Roberts looked out of his depth I thought and didn't even last 80 minutes for a centre. Though you're right, they won't change a winning side.

so.. pick and stick for QLD??

lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

I honestly don’t understand how some people think Maloney’s pass to JAC’s try was forward. I thought it was clearly back out of the hands and only momentum took it forward. Maloney finished in front of the ball and JAC had to prop to catch it.

Teddy and cook were great. Impressed with turbo doing plenty of dirty hit ups getting off our line, including after he’d taken repeated high balls. Apart from making a couple of half breaks early I thought JAC wasn’t great - he tended not to run at the line hard when we needed our backs to get some momentum. Roberts wasn’t great - I was going to call him disappointing but I didn’t expect much anyway. Also, I thought Vaughan was ordinary and may not last long unless he improves in game 2.

Inglis was a standout for qld. Clearly relished being captain and tried his best to inspire the team. Qld were able to pin the blues in their half for a large chunk of the second half, but just didn’t have the immortals to take advantage this time. I actually thought Munster wasn’t great - certainly didn’t meet the hype. Hunt was good, and I thought Walters made a mistake putting him to dummy half when milf came on. Strange use of the bench utilities by both coaches.

Looking forward to game 2, but I suspect the blues have more improvement in them than qld. But we’ve all seen this movie before.
Last edited by lars on June 7, 2018, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

yeh raiders wrote: June 7, 2018, 8:27 am
gangrenous wrote: June 7, 2018, 8:18 am There is zero chance of NSW including Cotric without an injury. Dreaming guys.
Agreed. Both our wingers are born for rep footy and played well
Agree about turbo, not so sure about JAC.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Lars, I reckon there should be an internet-wide filter that prevents anyone commenting about forward passes, unless they can prove they understand the concept of momentum.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Sun Coast Raider wrote: June 6, 2018, 10:14 pm My Player of the match Frizell.
TBH I didn't even notice him out there. I don't recall any great runs or bone rattling tackles, or great offloads or tries or anything. There were heaps better (and more noticeable) players out there. Tedesco, Maloney, Cook, Inglis, etc
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

yeh raiders wrote: June 7, 2018, 9:33 am Lars, I reckon there should be an internet-wide filter that prevents anyone commenting about forward passes, unless they can prove they understand the concept of momentum.
The idea you can prove a pass is forward by comparing a still of when the pass was thrown to a still of when the pass was caught proves you don’t understand what a forward pass is. It should be a mandatory component of beginners physics in school.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

thoughts on whether or not the rule should change no matter how it comes out of the hand?
momentum or not, the onus could be on the passer to make sure the ball goes backwards and it would be easier to make calls on

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Greedysmurf wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:19 pm
the bone wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:11 pm I think they’ll go with Morgan as the 14. Ponga is a great talent, but I don’t see how he’d be useful as a bench utility. Where are you going to play him? Slater should be at fullback for the full 80, and you wouldn’t stick Ponga in the middle, so he’d really only be on the bench to cover outside back injuries.
I agree and think Ponga simply needs to wait his turn until next year. Unless Slater is not fit for game 2 anyway. I like Michael Morgan and thought he had a good game tonight (a couple of execution errors aside) but Ponga in 1 would be pretty exciting I think.
Not sure why the current Dally M favourite has to ‘wait his turn’. There’s been a big transition in Origin with the next generation coming through for both teams. Why not include the most dangerous player in the NRL? He can sit on the bench the entire game if not required but it great insurance to have him there in case of injury to any backs or if you need a spark.

Last night QLD were down by 10 points late in the game. Their only change they had was Milford, who’s in pretty ordinary form and not really somebody to create opportunities. He’s more a reactive player who can turn a half chance into a try. Not much good if those half chances don’t present. Morgan on the bench gives them cover at halfback but is still a conservative selection. He’s not going to turn a game around. Ask Fittler who he would least like to see coming on for QLD if his side was ahead late in the game. We know what that answer would be.

When you’re down 1-0 you need to take chances. Ponga will play Origin at some stage in the near future so why not start now? Rarely does a player of his talent come along. No need to hold them back. QLD threw in Slater and Smith early in their careers and that sparked the most dominant reign in Origin history. I’d put Ponga in similar category.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: June 7, 2018, 10:26 am thoughts on whether or not the rule should change no matter how it comes out of the hand?
momentum or not, the onus could be on the passer to make sure the ball goes backwards and it would be easier to make calls on
The interpretation has become way too loose these days. We see way too many forward passes let go because of the “backward out of the hands” excuse. Maloney pass was a long way forward. There’s only so much you can allow for forward momentum. Ref/touchie should have called it but didn’t. Happens dozens of times each week in the NRL so you could argue they are being consistent. Refs seems very selective in calling forward passes these days and players are happy to exploit it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Finchy wrote: June 7, 2018, 9:40 am
TBH I didn't even notice him out there. I don't recall any great runs or bone rattling tackles, or great offloads or tries or anything. There were heaps better (and more noticeable) players out there. Tedesco, Maloney, Cook, Inglis, etc
Not my player of the match but maybe you should re-watch the first half. He was creating all sorts of problems out wide early on.
lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

Northern Raider wrote: June 7, 2018, 11:05 am
Sid wrote: June 7, 2018, 10:26 am thoughts on whether or not the rule should change no matter how it comes out of the hand?
The interpretation has become way too loose these days. We see way too many forward passes let go because of the “backward out of the hands” excuse. Maloney pass was a long way forward. There’s only so much you can allow for forward momentum. Ref/touchie should have called it but didn’t. Happens dozens of times each week in the NRL so you could argue they are being consistent. Refs seems very selective in calling forward passes these days and players are happy to exploit it.
I think there would be unintended consequences of changing the rule so that it would have to go back as it relates to the field. The game would be far less expansive because players wouldn’t want to throw a long pass when running. It would be almost impossible to score a try like JAC’s (or wightons try off cotric’s kick...) - he’d have to be standing at least 5-6 metres behind Maloney to catch the ball while still running.

The thing is, it’s not an interpretation and it’s not an excuse. You either have the back out of the hands rule or you have the back as it relates to the field rule. There’s no in between. There’s no interpretation. There can be wrong calls, and there can be close calls, but I think there’s far more benefit to the game in having exciting tries like JAC’s (and wighton’s) allowed than stifling them.

The thing that is in more urgent need of clamping down on is forward passes from dummy half. They’re standing still so there’s no momentum, but there are plenty that aren’t pulled up, including an obvious one from qld last night.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: June 7, 2018, 11:12 am
Finchy wrote: June 7, 2018, 9:40 am
Not my player of the match but maybe you should re-watch the first half. He was creating all sorts of problems out wide early on.
Tedesco clear MOTM for mine. His breaks were the difference maker in a very even contest. Cook not far behind him. Frizell was very good. His runs really tested the defense. Didn’t get involved enough though IMO. Needs more than a handful of good hit ups for MOTM in an Origin.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

From a Raiders perspective I was impressed with Paps. Really rolled the sleeves up in his limited time on the field. 8 runs for 103m and 25 tackles is pretty good in less than 30 min on the park.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

yeah that would completely change the game in a terrible way. The ball will travel forward relative to where it was passed almost always due to the physics involved.

here is a video demonstrating that even if a player in motion passes the ball over his head it will still travel forward relative to where he passed it

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

The Greenhouse wrote: June 6, 2018, 9:29 pm 48th min TRY BLUES to Latrell Mitchell... the referee says no try but the bunker will over rule. It’s off the back of a poor call, which missed the strip on Gagai. TRY awarded. Maloney cannot convert.

Queensland 12
New South Wales 12
Fair dinkum I thought your green googles were bad. How 'bout them maroon goggles?

It was the loosest carry in the history of Origin.

This is like Wally commentating on Origin.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Green eyed Mick wrote: June 6, 2018, 9:39 pm Happy to give Roberts the can and shift Turbo to right centre. Cotric needs to come in for his tough metres and I think him and Turbo will form a devastating combination.
This...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.