2018 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
13%
Blues 1-12
50%
Maroons 1-12
38%
Maroons 13+
No votes

Total votes: 8

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2018 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Post by hrundi89 »

PerthRaider86 wrote: June 6, 2018, 10:09 pm 12 points came off blatant forward passes for NSW

But hey gotta let NSW win at least one game
:roflmao
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

hrundi89 wrote:
The Greenhouse wrote: June 6, 2018, 9:29 pm 48th min TRY BLUES to Latrell Mitchell... the referee says no try but the bunker will over rule. It’s off the back of a poor call, which missed the strip on Gagai. TRY awarded. Maloney cannot convert.

Queensland 12
New South Wales 12
Fair dinkum I thought your green googles were bad. How 'bout them maroon goggles?

It was the loosest carry in the history of Origin.

This is like Wally commentating on Origin.
Not denying GE's maroon/green goggles but that instance wasn't the case of a loose carry. Ref had called held. Once that happens the onus on on the tackler to release the player. Crichton got a sneaky one in there and dislodged the ball. Refs got it wrong but to be fair it was almost impossible to spot in real time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sid wrote: June 7, 2018, 10:26 am thoughts on whether or not the rule should change no matter how it comes out of the hand?
momentum or not, the onus could be on the passer to make sure the ball goes backwards and it would be easier to make calls on
Now you're talking Sid. Either shorten up the passes to make sure they go backwards or deliberately pass it further back to ensure nature (like a strong tail wind or even momentum) doesn't carry the ball forward. It was a successful way to rule on forward passes for most of the past century. Only in an era where video refs are not allowed to rule on forward passes and judgement calls are made on whether or not a pass is going backwards from the hands does this very simple concept come into question.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Shall I be the one?

You can try that but its not really feasible to throw the ball backwards if you are moving forward at speed.

You change the way the game is played completely, only allowing passes at extreme weird angles or from a standing still position- taking the flat pass out of the game.

Shortening the pass won't change the angle it travels at, only the distance it travels...

Then we'll be arguing over whether the pass was above or below the required *length* to be a forward pass? That's crazier than the current, "don;t ask, don't tell" policy on backwards motion.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Hi BnM, on the video which has been around for some time, be that as it may, the rule in the past was always relative to the player passing the ball, it could not be taken in front of that player without being called a forward pass. It can be done but the players need to pass the ball further backwards. The question then becomes, did the ball (for any reason) go forward from the player passing the ball? Yes or No. Simple rule now made complicated and open to inconsistent interpretation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I'm not fussed about any of the calls the refs made but they were poor. Getting hit by a grubber kick is bad form and 2 try decisions were overturned by the video refs. No real impact on the game but no what you want on the big stage.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

The Greenhouse wrote: June 6, 2018, 9:34 pm 51st min TRY BLUES to Tom Trbojevic. The referee says try. He’s stripped it from Holmes one on one and it is a TRY. It is off a Maloney bomb, and Trbojevic grounds it in the field of play... then bounces over. Maloney converts.

New South Wales 18-12
I’ve been out of the news today but has this try been brought up at all in the media ?

I thought the video ref’s got the rules of the game wrong.

From what I saw Holmes took the ball cleanly and correct me if I’m wrong but by memory the video ref said it was a 1-on1 strip in the tackle ?

If that was the case then Holmes was still in the air catching the ball and it should of been a penalty to QLD for a mid-air tackle whilst catching the ball ?

Yes or no ?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

No.
lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

RedRaider wrote: June 7, 2018, 3:41 pm Hi BnM, on the video which has been around for some time, be that as it may, the rule in the past was always relative to the player passing the ball, it could not be taken in front of that player without being called a forward pass. It can be done but the players need to pass the ball further backwards. The question then becomes, did the ball (for any reason) go forward from the player passing the ball? Yes or No. Simple rule now made complicated and open to inconsistent interpretation.
How far further backwards will players have to pass the ball if they’re throwing a pass at speed? Players were getting up to 35km/h last night - that’d be a long way back for them to pass so they’d almost always take the tackle. The game will change for the worse if the much stricter rule is enforced. A bit of discussion here and there about whether a pass went slightly forward or not is much better than everyone adopting a conservative style that makes the game boring to watch.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Greedysmurf wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:12 pm Interesting game. Two key things for mind;
- Qld clearly missing the guidance and direction of the old heads in the spine.
- Qld need to seriously work on their defence in the middle, 3 of 4 NSW tries came from breaks through the middle of the ruck.

I thought Hunt and Munster played OK as individual players, but weren’t steering the ship like JT, Smith or Cronk would have done. They were outplayed by a very strong Maloney. They’re just going to have to learn by experience I suppose as I’m not sure what other options are out there.

I don’t know about wholesale changes to the forwards, except McGuire can GTFO. He was either incredibly underdone or unbelievably lazy. In Origin who turns their back on the play the ball and dawdles back to the line? Or in only the 10th or so minute jogs a 4th tackle hit up?

The reffing was a bit bizarre at times, very much a Laissez faire approach to the ruck, a couple of odd interpretations, (“he was trying to offload” suddenly makes a 2 man strip ok?) How the last pass for the Addo-Carr try wasn’t called forward I don’t know. Par for the course at club level I suppose, won the lottery this time.

It was interesting the NSW edge defence was strongly questioned in the lead up, but I thought it was fine. Qld made some metres there but little in the way of outright breaks, even with Inglis on the angry pills!

All in all as Qlders we’re seeing the end of an era, with the big four retiring we’re very much being brought back to the field. I except a return to see-sawing series.
With Ponga likely to be the long term fullback option QLD are looking likely that the long term 5/8th role is going to be played out between Munster and Milford. Both running 5/8ths who need organisers.

I think at think at this stage of his career it’s safe to assume Ben Hunt is not going to develop into that leading game controlling number 7.

Which leaves Michael Morgan who I personally believe is a little overrated - but has shown he can lead a team around after what we saw him do with the Cowboys in the 2nd half of last season. Or Daly Cherry Evans -who to me is the most talented out of all the options - but has also showed his best form when he paired next to a settling Blake Green or Kieron Foran.

Then last but not least Ashley Taylor. Who is now close to 100 1st grade games and comes with all of the plaudits.

If QLD aren’t for what reasons (we have all heard the rumours/denials) give DCE the number 7 - I’d be putting Taylor in there and give him a good run.

All of a sudden a spine including Kaylen Ponga, Ashley Taylor and Munster/Milford doesn’t look that bleak.

Let’s not forget that NSW will ave their own 5/8 issues in the not to distant future with Maloney turning 32 next week.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

zim wrote: June 7, 2018, 4:16 pmNo.
No as in it wasn’t called a 1-on-1 strip in the tackle ?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

scotchberry wrote: June 7, 2018, 4:54 pm
No as in that is never a penalty because a strip is not a tackle. He's also contesting the ball, not trying to tackle him.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

zim wrote: June 7, 2018, 4:58 pm
scotchberry wrote: June 7, 2018, 4:54 pm
No as in that is never a penalty because a strip is not a tackle.
Ok - I’ve got my interpretation of the wordings wrong.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: June 7, 2018, 2:37 pm Shall I be the one?

You can try that but its not really feasible to throw the ball backwards if you are moving forward at speed.

You change the way the game is played completely, only allowing passes at extreme weird angles or from a standing still position- taking the flat pass out of the game.

Shortening the pass won't change the angle it travels at, only the distance it travels...

Then we'll be arguing over whether the pass was above or below the required *length* to be a forward pass? That's crazier than the current, "don;t ask, don't tell" policy on backwards motion.
Interesting video. The main example is a good one showing a pass travelling forward after being thrown backward. But that is a player running at pace in a direct line forward. The ball travels just under 2m forward. If a player is running an angle or at a slower speed then theoretically the ball should travel much less than 2m forward. Goes to show that all these passes that travel 4-5m forward really should be called. The “backwards out of the hands” argument has it’s limits.

The pass over the head example is a bit of a joke. The guy just throws the ball in the air and runs underneath it. Never threw it backwards at any stage.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

lars wrote: June 7, 2018, 4:24 pm
RedRaider wrote: June 7, 2018, 3:41 pm Hi BnM, on the video which has been around for some time, be that as it may, the rule in the past was always relative to the player passing the ball, it could not be taken in front of that player without being called a forward pass. It can be done but the players need to pass the ball further backwards. The question then becomes, did the ball (for any reason) go forward from the player passing the ball? Yes or No. Simple rule now made complicated and open to inconsistent interpretation.
How far further backwards will players have to pass the ball if they’re throwing a pass at speed? Players were getting up to 35km/h last night - that’d be a long way back for them to pass so they’d almost always take the tackle. The game will change for the worse if the much stricter rule is enforced. A bit of discussion here and there about whether a pass went slightly forward or not is much better than everyone adopting a conservative style that makes the game boring to watch.
Lars I did the calculation on this. I estimate that the ball travelled 21 mtrs across field and travelled 2 mtrs forward. The angle was about 5.5 degrees. Even then JAC had to stop to wait for the ball. It is not a big ask to be able to meet the game rule to pass the ball backwards and it actually goes backwards. Players like Ken Irvine, Steve Renouf, ET etc were as fast as those playing in last nights game. They managed it. The position of the body in passing is critical in this. No way was Maloney travelling at 35 kph. Interesting that he was called for a forward pass in the match that didn't travel anywhere near as forward as the one for the try.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

RedRaider wrote: Lars I did the calculation on this. I estimate that the ball travelled 21 mtrs across field and travelled 2 mtrs forward. The angle was about 5.5 degrees. Even then JAC had to stop to wait for the ball. It is not a big ask to be able to meet the game rule to pass the ball backwards and it actually goes backwards. Players like Ken Irvine, Steve Renouf, ET etc were as fast as those playing in last nights game. They managed it. The position of the body in passing is critical in this. No way was Maloney travelling at 35 kph. Interesting that he was called for a forward pass in the match that didn't travel anywhere near as forward as the one for the try.
I’m not sure what the relevance of the angle is?

JAC stopping to wait for the ball hinders your argument. The further the ball is forward the more he has to speed up and reach. Having to stop implies the pass is backwards unless he was well ahead of the passer, or travelling much faster.
lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

RedRaider wrote: June 7, 2018, 10:09 pm
lars wrote: June 7, 2018, 4:24 pm
Lars I did the calculation on this. I estimate that the ball travelled 21 mtrs across field and travelled 2 mtrs forward. The angle was about 5.5 degrees. Even then JAC had to stop to wait for the ball. It is not a big ask to be able to meet the game rule to pass the ball backwards and it actually goes backwards. Players like Ken Irvine, Steve Renouf, ET etc were as fast as those playing in last nights game. They managed it. The position of the body in passing is critical in this. No way was Maloney travelling at 35 kph. Interesting that he was called for a forward pass in the match that didn't travel anywhere near as forward as the one for the try.
I think you may be romanticising past eras. I just watched some highlights of ET and there were several instances of him catching the ball in front of where it was passed but they were let go (I assume) because of the momentum.

I suspect a lot of the controversy with the modern game comes from having more replays, camera angles and slo mo.
And also having a medium like the Internet where people can analyse, overanalyse and criticise decisions by referees (and players). The rules aren’t going to please everyone all of the time. But I actually enjoy these discussions so I’m happy with that!
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

scotchberry wrote: June 7, 2018, 4:40 pm
Greedysmurf wrote: June 6, 2018, 11:12 pm Interesting game. Two key things for mind;
- Qld need to seriously work on their defence in the middle, 3 of 4 NSW tries came from breaks through the middle of the ruck.

I thought Hunt and Munster played OK as individual players, but weren’t steering the ship like JT, Smith or Cronk would have done. They were outplayed by a very strong Maloney. They’re just going to have to learn by experience I suppose as I’m not sure what other options are out there.

I don’t know about wholesale changes to the forwards, except McGuire can GTFO. He was either incredibly underdone or unbelievably lazy. In Origin who turns their back on the play the ball and dawdles back to the line? Or in only the 10th or so minute jogs a 4th tackle hit up?

The reffing was a bit bizarre at times, very much a Laissez faire approach to the ruck, a couple of odd interpretations, (“he was trying to offload” suddenly makes a 2 man strip ok?) How the last pass for the Addo-Carr try wasn’t called forward I don’t know. Par for the course at club level I suppose, won the lottery this time.

It was interesting the NSW edge defence was strongly questioned in the lead up, but I thought it was fine. Qld made some metres there but little in the way of outright breaks, even with Inglis on the angry pills!

All in all as Qlders we’re seeing the end of an era, with the big four retiring we’re very much being brought back to the field. I except a return to see-sawing series.
With Ponga likely to be the long term fullback option QLD are looking likely that the long term 5/8th role is going to be played out between Munster and Milford. Both running 5/8ths who need organisers.

I think at think at this stage of his career it’s safe to assume Ben Hunt is not going to develop into that leading game controlling number 7.

Which leaves Michael Morgan who I personally believe is a little overrated - but has shown he can lead a team around after what we saw him do with the Cowboys in the 2nd half of last season. Or Daly Cherry Evans -who to me is the most talented out of all the options - but has also showed his best form when he paired next to a settling Blake Green or Kieron Foran.

Then last but not least Ashley Taylor. Who is now close to 100 1st grade games and comes with all of the plaudits.

If QLD aren’t for what reasons (we have all heard the rumours/denials) give DCE the number 7 - I’d be putting Taylor in there and give him a good run.

All of a sudden a spine including Kaylen Ponga, Ashley Taylor and Munster/Milford doesn’t look that bleak.

Let’s not forget that NSW will ave their own 5/8 issues in the not to distant future with Maloney turning 32 next week.
True on the other options, I’d forgotten about Taylor :opps . I wonder what it would take for a DCE recall? I was sort of hoping for more out of Hunt, he’s really kicked his game up a notch at the Dragons this year. I suppose we’ve just been spoiled with 3 immortals in the spine for the last decade. :D

No doubt on NSW, Maloney was the dominant half over Cleary, and as you say he can’t have many years left in him. It was funny that near the end of the game one of the commentators said Cleary had cemented his spot for as long as he wanted it. He played quite well I thought but hardly locking his spot forever well.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

If you watch where Jimmy Maloney’s momentum leaves him when the ball is caught, he is 3m in front of JAC. And he was slowing down after he released the ball.

The pass was fine, good call from the refs.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yeh raiders wrote:If you watch where Jimmy Maloney’s momentum leaves him when the ball is caught, he is 3m in front of JAC. And he was slowing down after he released the ball.

give yourself an uppercut

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Greedysmurf wrote: June 8, 2018, 12:25 am
scotchberry wrote: June 7, 2018, 4:40 pm

True on the other options, I’d forgotten about Taylor :opps . I wonder what it would take for a DCE recall? I was sort of hoping for more out of Hunt, he’s really kicked his game up a notch at the Dragons this year. I suppose we’ve just been spoiled with 3 immortals in the spine for the last decade. :D

No doubt on NSW, Maloney was the dominant half over Cleary, and as you say he can’t have many years left in him. It was funny that near the end of the game one of the commentators said Cleary had cemented his spot for as long as he wanted it. He played quite well I thought but hardly locking his spot forever well.
Lol - I think that’s just over enthusiasm regarding Cleary - the same commentators were saying Andrew Fifita was the next Arty Beetson after game 1 last year.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

bonehead wrote: June 8, 2018, 8:00 am
yeh raiders wrote:If you watch where Jimmy Maloney’s momentum leaves him when the ball is caught, he is 3m in front of JAC. And he was slowing down after he released the ball.

give yourself an uppercut

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Haven’t seen this much salt since Ian Hewitson left channel 10.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2018 State of Origin I: New South Wales V Queensland

Post by Sid »

And you didn’t know who was on the interchange bench until they ran onto the field with their entrance music. Make it happen Todd.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/8 ... _the_math/

Clearly backwards. Game set and match, justice.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Put the slide rules and scientific calculators away. It was a Good old fashion forward pass. Didn’t affect the outcome. Better team won. End of story.
lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

Northern Raider wrote: June 8, 2018, 1:09 pm Put the slide rules and scientific calculators away. It was a Good old fashion forward pass. Didn’t affect the outcome. Better team won. End of story.
I agree with everything you said. Except the bit about the forward pass.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

lars wrote: June 8, 2018, 4:21 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 8, 2018, 1:09 pm Put the slide rules and scientific calculators away. It was a Good old fashion forward pass. Didn’t affect the outcome. Better team won. End of story.
nah, it was forward. Move on
lars
Terry Campese

Post by lars »

Northern Raider wrote: June 8, 2018, 5:32 pm
lars wrote: June 8, 2018, 4:21 pm
nah, it was forward. Move on
Unlike the pass, I’ll move forward.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

lars wrote: June 7, 2018, 10:59 pm I think you may be romanticising past eras.
Nah, not romanticising lars, just saying what the rule used to be and how it made the game less of a lottery than now. I won't speak on behalf of Cranky Old Man or GE, but if the ball travelled forward for any reason, tail wind or momentum or thrown forward it was called back as a forward pass. Everyone knew and accepted the rule. If the ball was taken by a player who was in front of where the player who passed the ball had passed it from it was deemed forward. It didn't slow the scoring or the type of attacking play down in any way.

I am a Blues fan so have no interest in bagging a positive blues outcome, unless I think the rules were broken. If I were a Qlder I would be bemused that the pass which led to JACs try was considered ok, but Maloney was called for a forward pass in the same match which looked no where near as sus.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: June 9, 2018, 5:05 pm
lars wrote: June 7, 2018, 10:59 pm I think you may be romanticising past eras.
Nah, not romanticising lars, just saying what the rule used to be and how it made the game less of a lottery than now. I won't speak on behalf of Cranky Old Man or GE, but if the ball travelled forward for any reason, tail wind or momentum or thrown forward it was called back as a forward pass. Everyone knew and accepted the rule. If the ball was taken by a player who was in front of where the player who passed the ball had passed it from it was deemed forward. It didn't slow the scoring or the type of attacking play down in any way.

I am a Blues fan so have no interest in bagging a positive blues outcome, unless I think the rules were broken. If I were a Qlder I would be bemused that the pass which led to JACs try was considered ok, but Maloney was called for a forward pass in the same match which looked no where near as sus.
Are you saying I’m old Red Raider? :D But yes, you’re right. We used to laugh at the forward passes let go in rugby union... now rugby league is probably worse. Not that I watch enough Union to really know!

I am not complaining about the refereeing decisions making a difference on Wednesday btw. Best team won.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I get more annoyed at the short passes from dummy half that go forward and don't get called. McCullough threw a ton of them, as usual.