2018 NRL Round 9: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 2018 NRL Round 9: Teams and Game Day

Post by reptar »

-TW- wrote:If the indiscretion is the play the ball play cannot continue, so the call was correct

I was the same as everyone else when I first saw it, **** why wasn't there an advantage.
Yup. Every time these "controversial" calls blow up in the media, if you check the rules the refs are right. Doesn't help that Gould goes on about his feels.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:Yeah, it’s like if someone steps on the touch line and then throws it back infield to a guy who intercepts and runs the length of the field.

There’s no advantage because the ball went out.
Yup, ball is dead so advantage is impossible.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Funny, much talk about RL here. Is there any Raiders talk going on in Raiders boards?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So can anybody explain what was wrong with the play the ball?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Interference from the marker
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

No I meant why the pocket referee was saying the play the ball was unacceptable. I got the impression he was referring to the way Kasiano played it.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gergreg wrote:No I meant why the pocket referee was saying the play the ball was unacceptable. I got the impression he was referring to the way Kasiano played it.
Yes. But it was because the marker was interfering with the ruck.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's extremely inconsistent with how they have been interpreting 'advantage' this year.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

gergreg wrote: May 9, 2018, 6:38 am It's extremely inconsistent with how they have been interpreting 'advantage' this year.
Yes. The main description of advantage is in Section 8 Notes of the Rules:
Apply advantage 8. The advantage law applies to all phases of play, but where a team infringes in a strong tactical position the advantage should be allowed only if the ball goes immediately into the possession of the non-offending team. The Referee is the sole judge of what constitutes an advantage be it tactical or territorial. An infringement is not ‘negated’ simply because the ball touches or is touched by an opponent. The opponent must have adequate opportunity to take advantage and endeavour to do so before play is allowed to proceed.

Application of the advantage laws does not deprive the Referee of subsequently dealing with an offending player.
Section 11 - 10e:
(e) When the ball touches the ground it must be heeled (i.e. backwards) by the tackled player. The ball must not be kicked or heeled by the player
marking him. The ball is in play when it has been played backward.
Notes for Section 11:
Interfering with heel - The tackler who is on the opponent’s side of the player should remove himself as quickly as possible so as not to interfere with the heel. If he does interfere he should be penalised.

If this was a technical protocol, I'd be appalled at the language. "Should" is a poor word. But the ball is not in play until the heel is complete, and interfering with the heel, they should be penalised. As it isn't in "play", there is no advantage to be applied.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

But despite the marker interferring with the man trying to play the ball Kasiano was still able to play the ball correctly. Advantage should have been allowed as there was really nothing wrong with the play the ball.

If the marker had not interferred with Kasiano would Kasiano have been penalised for an incorrect play the ball? That is essentially the reason why play was called back by the pocket ref, but i cannot see a problem with his play the ball whatsoever.

If you are unfortunate enough to watch any Bulldogs game keep an eye on Woods' play the balls. Worst in the comp. He never touches it with his foot. I've seen him penalised once for it all year but every time he plays it he should be penalised.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

They could've let it go, except the pocket ref was calling for a penalty and advantage isn't discretionary, it can't be played because the ball isn't live. I know it's odd, probably need to clear up the role of the second referee.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

reptar wrote: May 9, 2018, 5:48 pm They could've let it go, except the pocket ref was calling for a penalty and advantage isn't discretionary, it can't be played because the ball isn't live. I know it's odd, probably need to clear up the role of the second referee.
This is just like the guns in the US problem. If the pocket ref had a whistle we wouldn't be having this discussion as he would have blown it straight away.
Everyone needs a whistle.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

They shall henceforth be known as pokéref!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I like this idea of 151 refs.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

zim wrote:I like this idea of 151 refs.
802 I thought. Gotta catch 'em all.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

reptar wrote:
There is only 1 season that I shall dignify.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

zim wrote:
reptar wrote:
There is only 1 season that I shall dignify.
I was thinking more of the games :)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote:
reptar wrote: May 9, 2018, 5:48 pm They could've let it go, except the pocket ref was calling for a penalty and advantage isn't discretionary, it can't be played because the ball isn't live. I know it's odd, probably need to clear up the role of the second referee.
This is just like the guns in the US problem. If the pocket ref had a whistle we wouldn't be having this discussion as he would have blown it straight away.
The players should all have whistles too, just in case the referees get out of control
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote:
zim wrote:
The players should all have whistles too, just in case the referees get out of control
Exactly. We also remove any ambiguity regarding what Cam Smith actually does. 2 birds 1 stone.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

zim wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
zim wrote:
Exactly. We also remove any ambiguity regarding what Cam Smith actually does. 2 birds 1 stone.
2 stones whacked!