2018 NRL Round 9: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: 2018 NRL Round 9: Teams and Game Day

Post by Sid »

Didn't really watch the game, I was watching a much more prestigious competition (Robot Wars) however, it seems like as usual the headlines are focusing on the killer blow play as though it was the controversy of the match, however the comments from everyone, from inside and outside of the GH, are suggesting it was more so everything that happened to lead up to that moment that was the real controversy.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BJ wrote:
El_Capitano wrote:I just watched the footage, I think it was definitely a penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think people are disputing that once it went to the bunker they had to award a penalty, the issue is similar issues or even more blatant ones are happening to attacking players on other kicks and these incidents are not being penalised.

Many of them are only visible to the live crowd and aren’t even caught on camera. If fans haven’t seen Croker run off the ball this season or Rapana had his shirt grabbed in back play then they aren’t watching the game properly.

Don’t start me on the number of head high hits that Whitehead cops without penalty. Him and Sezer don’t over react to the high hits so the refs don’t consistently act to protect them.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 3, 2018, 9:47 pm Where’s Nickman when you need him. Bring him into this thread to tell us how referees don’t decide games! Image
So you're telling me the Bulldogs played a near-flawless game and only lost due to the referees?
Nope, you’re better than that weak shot. Nothing like what I’m saying.
The Nickman wrote: It was two points! Surely there'd be a dozen incidents in the game where the Dogs could've done something differently to win! Likewise there'd be a dozen moments in the game where if the Broncos had've played it wrong they would've lost.

Lumping this entirely on the referees is just such a simplistic way to view a game of sport. Sounds like they had a poor game, but it's entirely in the players' hands to win games.
No, it’s you being overly simplistic. Because Brisbane won you focus on the good things they did and because Bulldogs lost you focus on the bad things they did.

You don’t have to be perfect to deserve to win a game of football. You deserve to win because you were better than the other team. Here in this thread you see the dismay over the more deserving team losing, which many people are putting down to poor refereeing.

It’s like my analogy the other day with the two students.
The Nickman wrote: GE said Oates went over UNTOUCHED. Was that the referees' fault??
Another irrelevant and weak point Nickman.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sid wrote:Didn't really watch the game, I was watching a much more prestigious competition (Robot Wars) however, it seems like as usual the headlines are focusing on the killer blow play as though it was the controversy of the match, however the comments from everyone, from inside and outside of the GH, are suggesting it was more so everything that happened to lead up to that moment that was the real controversy.
That’s the way I saw it.

Plus the play shouldn’t have been reviewed either I’d say.
Last edited by gangrenous on May 4, 2018, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL referees boss is saying THAT knock on last night was not a knock on! You watch the video:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/dogs-c ... 35442a8f39

Now it comes off his hands, forward, hits his chest and falls to the ground. That is a CLASSIC knock on. The referee's boss is now claiming because the ball... I'll let you read it, but I've never heard so much nonsense.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

that's a stone cold knock on

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

How bad are the camera angles for this game?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Sony Handycam, the best they have in Bathurst!

Thurston’s kicks in the last 2 games... playing almost as if he’s buying into the whole “1 year too long...” theory
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Very sharp from Granville in cutting Thurston out with a pearler
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Maloney, Yeo, Phillips.... way too many defensive liabilities on that flank.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I just saw that Isaako knock on for the first time... as much as I hate the broncos, I actually reckon that’s a knock back

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

the bone wrote:I just saw that Isaako knock on for the first time... as much as I hate the broncos, I actually reckon that’s a knock back

I could buy that except his hands are facing the opposition tryline and the way they call knock on for when a pass hits players hands but lands behind them.

Edrick The Entertainer
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

I think it was a knock back, but it’s the interpretation of those 99% of the time whereby they’re called a knock-on, that’s what I have an issue with.

Yet in typical Brisbane fashion, they get a play-on call.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

the bone wrote: May 4, 2018, 8:27 pm I just saw that Isaako knock on for the first time... as much as I hate the broncos, I actually reckon that’s a knock back

Sorry, but that isn't the rule.

KNOCK-ON means to knock the ball forward towards the opponents’dead ball line with hand or arm while playing at the ball.

Accidental 2. If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed. Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball.

The ball came off the hands forward, obviously. Hit the chest, hit the ground. This has been called a knock on for many decades. But now, because the NRL referees are under pressure, they've gone to ground, denied everything... and said... look over there! We're going to fine Dean Pay!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I have no idea what raiders fans seen in Fensom.

Yet some criticise Bateman. They are pretty much the same thing except the penalties.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

GE, my understanding is that a knock on is called when the ball hits the ground (or an opponent) in a position that is closer to the opponents try line than the point at which the ball was last touched by the attacking player. In this instance the ball touches the ground at approximately the 20m, whereas isaako last touched the ball about a yard in front of that

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

the bone wrote: May 4, 2018, 9:22 pm GE, my understanding is that a knock on is called when the ball hits the ground (or an opponent) in a position that is closer to the opponents try line than the point at which the ball was last touched by the attacking player. In this instance the ball touches the ground at approximately the 20m, whereas isaako last touched the ball about a yard in front of that

That isn't in the rules. If you can point me to where that is in the rules... I'll be good with it!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2018, 8:19 am
Amazing how much he sounded like Sticky then. :lol:

Interesting he talked about the backchat penalty against Klemmer. Original penalty was out wide. When he marched it 10m it came in another 10m infield making it a simple kick for goal. Is that the rule, where marching 10m comes into the scrum lines?
Yeah I thought the kick for goal was closer in. It's always been a direct 10m march up the field from the original penalty spot.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

greeneyed wrote:
the bone wrote: May 4, 2018, 9:22 pm GE, my understanding is that a knock on is called when the ball hits the ground (or an opponent) in a position that is closer to the opponents try line than the point at which the ball was last touched by the attacking player. In this instance the ball touches the ground at approximately the 20m, whereas isaako last touched the ball about a yard in front of that

That isn't in the rules. If you can point me to where that is in the rules... I'll be good with it!
So what does the rule book say?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

the bone wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

So what does the rule book say?

See my post above.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

There are certainly a few discussions this year about technicality of rules.

A knock-on is as Fergus says. Once you've propelled the ball towards the opposition's goal line with your hand or arm, the only way to avoid an infringement is for you to regather control of the ball or kick it before it hits the ground, another player, a goal post or a corner post. Not sure about hitting a referee, they would probably have to use judgement as to whether there was a reasonable chance of you regarding or kicking the ball, and either award a scrum feed against your team for a knock on, or a scrum feed to the team in the attacking half. If it's on half way the world ends or something.

So if it was knocked forward, even if it still ends up behind that point due to being touched again, the wind or Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle then it still a knock on.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Crappiness of the Tigers squad is catching up with them. The bubble is well popped.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:Crappiness of the Tigers squad is catching up with them. The bubble is well popped.
Yeah, agreed. I think Cleary is a fantastic coach, and it’s admirable what he’s done with the players at his disposal, but they were always going to fall away IMO

Knights will do the same now I think too because of that long term injury to Pearce. They’ve bought well, but really don’t have the depth to cover any serious injuries to their spine.

The team for me that really looks to be clicking into gear now is the Storm. I expect their game against the Dragons today to be a great gauge of where both teams truly are.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Round 9 Gallery Raiders V Titans: https://www.pinterest.com.au/theghraiders/pins/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So the refs play advantage to Storm because of a ruck infringement and JAD scores in the corner and they call it back (after he scores) for a Storm penalty. They've officially lost the **** plot.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: May 6, 2018, 3:45 pm So the refs play advantage to Storm because of a ruck infringement and JAD scores in the corner and they call it back (after he scores) for a Storm penalty. They've officially lost the **** plot.
Yeah, that was one of the weirdest things I've even seen.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 6, 2018, 3:45 pm So the refs play advantage to Storm because of a ruck infringement and JAD scores in the corner and they call it back (after he scores) for a Storm penalty. They've officially lost the **** plot.
Weird, but still technically correct. The ball was never in play so no advantage could be played.

Funnily enough, the refs rarely get ther understanding of the rules incorrect.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Weird, but still technically correct. The ball was never in play so no advantage could be played.

Wait, what do you mean? Can you explain, please?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:
reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Wait, what do you mean? Can you explain, please?
The ball isn't live until it's cleared the ruck at the play the ball. There can only be advantage from the point that the ball is live. The pocket ref was calling a penalty. Because he was calling a penalty, it could have affected the ensuing play so the head ref couldn't let it go.

If you want, remind me tomorrow and I'll find the relevant part of the rule book.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I didn’t realise the ref had already blown a penalty.

Yeah, in that case you have to pull back the play. Play stops as soon as the whistle goes, no matter what happens afterwards.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:I didn’t realise the ref had already blown a penalty.

Yeah, in that case you have to pull back the play. Play stops as soon as the whistle goes, no matter what happens afterwards.
The ref didn’t, the pocket ref yelled out “unacceptable”. It’s up to the main referee to decide and he should have over ruled.

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Well, that's the bit the refs did get slightly wrong. In the current NRL two ref system, only the ref at the defensive line and not the pocket ref can actually call the penalty by blowing the whistle. But if the pocket ref advises a penalty, they're supposed to blow it immediately. For some reason the head ref didn't. But play couldn't go on, as the pocket ref was already advising for it and it wasn't an advantage situation. Weird ****, isn't it?
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:

The ref didn’t, the pocket ref yelled out “unacceptable”. It’s up to the main referee to decide and he should have over ruled.

I would prefer this was how it worked.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If the indiscretion is the play the ball play cannot continue, so the call was correct

I was the same as everyone else when I first saw it, **** why wasn't there an advantage.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, it’s like if someone steps on the touch line and then throws it back infield to a guy who intercepts and runs the length of the field.

There’s no advantage because the ball went out.