2018 NRL Round 8: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: 2018 NRL Round 8: Teams and Game Day

Post by bonehead »

Schifty wrote:Bird might be a mid season signing here when he learns about the Maccas powerplay..
Greg?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Gee Tyrone Peachey is a great player. I still don't know what his best position is but he is a real footballer. First rate. Would love to have him in our side. Titans have done well to get him. Fittler should be asking him what size to order that number 14 Blues jersey in after the game.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Willie Mason said it well the other day, just sick of commentators bagging the game and pushing their agenda’s.

It’s turning people against the game.

Even tonight a few less penalties were blown and Sterlo mentions how good flowing football is. No one will disagree that we don’t want flowing footy. However, the Dogs are hopeless. If you’re not getting a roll on against the dogs late in the second half, then you’re not trying.

Secondly, everyone was sick of dire football played with defensive lines getting back about 7 metres. The penalty crack down has opened up the game considerably and in the long term it’s only for the better. Come origin time, I’d love to see QLD try to play to the rule book, it’s up to the refs to make it happen. Not holding my breath at all.

Klemmer’s sin binning.... encouraging signs ahead of origin.... retaliated to a correct call from the refs and ends up in the bin due to pure stupidity. Needs to sort that **** out.

Kalyn Ponga’s goose step is creating points every single week. Frightening. Teams need to move up on him and cut his time down. Easier said than done.

Freddie talking about walking off with an ACL tear. A friend of mine carried on for 3 months with an ACL tear until he collapsed down a staircase. It’s possible Fred!
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

DCE allegedly eye gouged Bruher in the last tackle of the game. Footage doesn't look good for him. Manly could be without both their starting halves next week.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

yeh raiders wrote:Willie Mason said it well the other day, just sick of commentators bagging the game and pushing their agenda’s.

Yep, Channel 9 are the worst of a bad bunch. Can’t believe the NRL signed of with them again when their coverage is so poor and they rubbish the game.

Most NRL fans I talk to are in favour of the ref crackdown to fix the game. The commentators would have you believe the opposite.

Phil Gould is the absolute worst. Drove me nuts the other night when the Broncos were held up and he was painting it as a try. Came back “No Try” and he’s like “I can live with that”. It was the right **** decision!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Should instruct Papalii to go and kick Thurston in the nuts now that we know you only get a warning for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm still scratching my head..how the Knights are 5 and 3.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:I'm still scratching my head..how the Knights are 5 and 3.
Desire and never giving up
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

reptar wrote: April 28, 2018, 9:07 am
-PJ- wrote:I'm still scratching my head..how the Knights are 5 and 3.
Desire and never giving up
And our blokes should be 5 and 2 heading into tonight.

Desire and never give up...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Maori version of the nz anthem obviously in the too hard basket
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Matt Nable, Neil Henry and Corey Parker.. if this isn't the dream team I don't know what is
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Kinda like these guysImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sharks beat Titans in a close one. Bryce Cartwright was the difference maker.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

gangrenous wrote: April 28, 2018, 7:32 am
yeh raiders wrote:Willie Mason said it well the other day, just sick of commentators bagging the game and pushing their agenda’s.

Yep, Channel 9 are the worst of a bad bunch. Can’t believe the NRL signed of with them again when their coverage is so poor and they rubbish the game.

Most NRL fans I talk to are in favour of the ref crackdown to fix the game. The commentators would have you believe the opposite.

Phil Gould is the absolute worst. Drove me nuts the other night when the Broncos were held up and he was painting it as a try. Came back “No Try” and he’s like “I can live with that”. It was the right **** decision!
Kerry Packer would be blasting the absolute **** out of some of the 9 commentators. I agree Gould is the worst. He is never wrong, even when he is very wrong and the video proves his call wrong, he is still not wrong. He’d sooner argue that the camera vision was wrong, before conceding a mistake.

I’m hearing the same things from the serious league fans I talk to. And they’re sick of the referee bashing more than anything.
Jake
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Paul Vaughan

Post by Jake »

Cartwright is mud.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Mahe Fonua, just overtook Ethan Lowe as the ugliest man in the game.

The award formerly held by Kane Cleal, Ryan Cross and Martin Lang.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Eels look a lot more energetic with a win in them. Manly's self destruct might just get them the spoon at this rate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Peter Sterling with his classic reverse-bias, has to continue to highlight that Moses’ pass was “suspect”.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’d be pissed if I was a Parra fan with that call. Lost control for mine.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Good finish coming up.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Greg Inglis can’t figure out why Tigers didn’t set for the field goal there...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: April 27, 2018, 8:59 pm Heard Mark Geyer on the radio pushing hard for referees to stop sending up an opinion to the video ref. Had 82% of listeners support him in a poll supposedly.

This is part of what’s wrong with Rugby League. Too many tools in the media putting stupid ideas into the fans. Normally Geyer is one of the better ones too. Strange from him. I mean we tried that system, it was **** woeful. The refs sending it up with an opinion is perhaps the best refereeing change of the last 5 years. They still need to address some of the bias in their referrals, but it’s a MUCH better system!
Yeah agreed. I love the way the onfield referee sends it up with a decision (which is a decision he would have had to make WITHOUT a video referee anyway) and then the onus is on the video ref to have CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE to overturn the onfield ref.

The only time this system bugs me is when the video ref appears to overturn the onfield ref based on 50/50 evidence, but that's entirely the video ref's fault and has nothing to do with the onfield ref or the process as it's meant to be enforced.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote: April 30, 2018, 9:53 am
gangrenous wrote: April 27, 2018, 8:59 pm Heard Mark Geyer on the radio pushing hard for referees to stop sending up an opinion to the video ref. Had 82% of listeners support him in a poll supposedly.

This is part of what’s wrong with Rugby League. Too many tools in the media putting stupid ideas into the fans. Normally Geyer is one of the better ones too. Strange from him. I mean we tried that system, it was **** woeful. The refs sending it up with an opinion is perhaps the best refereeing change of the last 5 years. They still need to address some of the bias in their referrals, but it’s a MUCH better system!
Yeah agreed. I love the way the onfield referee sends it up with a decision (which is a decision he would have had to make WITHOUT a video referee anyway) and then the onus is on the video ref to have CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE to overturn the onfield ref.

The only time this system bugs me is when the video ref appears to overturn the onfield ref based on 50/50 evidence, but that's entirely the video ref's fault and has nothing to do with the onfield ref or the process as it's meant to be enforced.
I love it when they get it right and ex-players and expert commentators who don't understand/have read the rule book go on and on about "common sense" for the next 20 minutes.

Oh hang on - I don't love that all! The opposite of that!
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm totally wrong, but I've been seeing massive wraps on Dean Whares hit on King. But looking at it a few times, I believe it is essentially a shoulder charge by definition.

Tackle Here

The rule book now says:
A player will be charged if:
• The contact is forceful, and;
• The player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player.
FYI they did away with that whole separation of the arm BS. (Thanks Jackie boy :P )

To me there is no intent by Whare to use his right arm to effect a tackle there, no attempt to 'wrap the arm' or taking hold if you will. I like to see big hits as much as the next League Fan, but this one is being played up as this massive legal tackle, but I think its actually a shoulder charge. Am I dreaming? :D
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Greedysmurf wrote:I'm sure someone will tell me I'm totally wrong, but I've been seeing massive wraps on Dean Whares hit on King. But looking at it a few times, I believe it is essentially a shoulder charge by definition.

Tackle Here

The rule book now says:
A player will be charged if:
• The contact is forceful, and;
• The player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player.
FYI they did away with that whole separation of the arm BS. (Thanks Jackie boy Image )

To me there is no intent by Whare to use his right arm to effect a tackle there, no attempt to 'wrap the arm' or taking hold if you will. I like to see big hits as much as the next League Fan, but this one is being played up as this massive legal tackle, but I think its actually a shoulder charge. Am I dreaming? :D
No, I thought the same. Almost like he thought he better do something with his arm for show so he doesn't get in trouble
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:

The thing is all the calls that people bitch about would come back on field as refs call..

People seem to forget this