Options for watching NRL games

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I’m just after some advice/alternatives for watching live NRL games, in particular Raiders games ( attending regular games is not an option )
I’ve had a Foxtel subscription for many years.... in a trade off for the sports package my wife gets the entertainment package, we basically have the full load.

I’m looking to cut costs and wondering if there are any good, legal alternatives.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Note: mods, feel free to move this where it needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Last edited by Dusty on February 11, 2018, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Options for watching NRL games

Post by Coastalraider »

I use the nrl app, $3 a week and can watch live, replays and highlights of all games. It's a bit of a pain having to watch on a phone, but it's a lot cheaper than fox!
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

If you’re with Telstra you get a free pass to watch any game on your phone or tablet and probably computer/laptop as well

Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

Coastalraider wrote:I use the nrl app, $3 a week and can watch live, replays and highlights of all games. It's a bit of a pain having to watch on a phone, but it's a lot cheaper than fox!
Can you use apple mirroring to watch it on a smart tv?

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

CJR wrote:If you’re with Telstra you get a free pass to watch any game on your phone or tablet and probably computer/laptop as well

Is it only Telstra mobile?

What about Telstra internet?

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’ve written this on here before, but for those that might have missed it:

I use the app and watch it on my tablet. It’s a decent low cost option.

The pricing on the NRL app has been stuffed in previous years. They charge 90 bucks for the season versus $3 per week (I think older versions of the app it’s even $2 per week). So there is no reason to buy the season pass. Once I take out games where I’m out, or watch somewhere else, or at the game - I’d probably use it 10-15 times per year. Sometimes the Raiders have a short turnaround and you can cover both Raiders games with one week’s subscription (if you don’t really care about the other teams like me). So do it weekly and you probably get all Raiders games you’re after for 20-50 bucks per year.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Despite what the media says, it is 100% legal to use a VPN to stream geoblocked games available overseas. This was confirmed by the productivity commison last year and even Malcom Turnbull's website confirms it.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/your-b ... usage/amp/

Last year you could've used this to watch for free on livestream or Rugbypass but now it seems a new service is launching run by Foxsports called https://www.watchnrl.com.

Waiting for this is probably your best bet for full HD on TV if you don't want to go down a greyer path.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

gangrenous wrote:I’ve written this on here before, but for those that might have missed it:

I use the app and watch it on my tablet. It’s a decent low cost option.

The pricing on the NRL app has been stuffed in previous years. They charge 90 bucks for the season versus $3 per week (I think older versions of the app it’s even $2 per week). So there is no reason to buy the season pass. Once I take out games where I’m out, or watch somewhere else, or at the game - I’d probably use it 10-15 times per year. Sometimes the Raiders have a short turnaround and you can cover both Raiders games with one week’s subscription (if you don’t really care about the other teams like me). So do it weekly and you probably get all Raiders games you’re after for 20-50 bucks per year.
Thanks, I knew I had read it previously on here but couldn’t find it.

Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

edwahu wrote:Despite what the media says, it is 100% legal to use a VPN to stream geoblocked games available overseas. This was confirmed by the productivity commison last year and even Malcom Turnbull's website confirms it.

Last year you could've used this to watch for free on livestream or Rugbypass but now it seems a new service is launching run by Foxsports called https://www.watchnrl.com.

Waiting for this is probably your best bet for full HD on TV if you don't want to go down a greyer path.
Interesting.
So, if I accessed this, it’d be similar to watching something on Netflix?

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Dusty wrote: February 11, 2018, 3:47 pm
edwahu wrote:Despite what the media says, it is 100% legal to use a VPN to stream geoblocked games available overseas. This was confirmed by the productivity commison last year and even Malcom Turnbull's website confirms it.

Interesting.
So, if I accessed this, it’d be similar to watching something on Netflix?

In the past it was as there were apps available for the two sites and I would assume it should be the simmilar.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I am VERY skeptical of your advice here edwahu. They are happy with geododging so that consumers have access to content that’s unavailable here or to get around unjustifiable region based price differentiation aren’t they? I don’t believe it’s in the spirit of that statement to obtain access to a service for free with reasonably priced options locally. If everyone did it the code crumbles, don’t think they’d support that.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: February 11, 2018, 3:57 pm

I am VERY skeptical of your advice here edwahu. They are happy with geododging so that consumers have access to content that’s unavailable here or to get around unjustifiable region based price differentiation aren’t they? I don’t believe it’s in the spirit of that statement to obtain access to a service for free with reasonably priced options locally. If everyone did it the code crumbles, don’t think they’d support that.
It's not advice, its a simple fact that its not illegal. There is nothing to be skeptical about, the original post asked for legal ways to watch. Maybe its a gray area to use it to access a domestic sport but it isnt yet illegal and probably never will be.

Its a stretch to say ther are good and reasonably priced alternatives. Its always been a case of pick one of those two. Fox and Telstra have gouged NRL fans for years. It at least improved now if you have Foxtel, but that is not reasonably priced because youre forced to bundle and pay $10 a month for HD.
Last edited by edwahu on February 11, 2018, 4:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dusty wrote:
CJR wrote:If you’re with Telstra you get a free pass to watch any game on your phone or tablet and probably computer/laptop as well

Is it only Telstra mobile?

What about Telstra internet?

Anybody got links for more info on this? I'm with Telstra so would be a great option for me for Raiders away games

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

This is not righting an injustice. I presume it’s offered for free overseas to grow the game and keep people engaged while they’re OS and can’t get to games.

Geododging that prevents the business making any money in their home market is something that would make the game unsustainable and if it were challenged I don’t think anyone would be sympathetic to your argument.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: February 11, 2018, 4:40 pm This is not righting an injustice. I presume it’s offered for free overseas to grow the game and keep people engaged while they’re OS and can’t get to games.

Geododging that prevents the business making any money in their home market is something that would make the game unsustainable and if it were challenged I don’t think anyone would be sympathetic to your argument.
If it was challenged the argument would be left to the lawyers. If it was such an easy case it would've long ago been challenged and won.

I am not taking a moral stand or trying to right an injustice. Just presenting the options to others who can make their own judgement. Maybe they already give plenty to the game in other ways?

For the record I am lucky enough to have the means to pay my $80 a month to watch 1 channel of foxtel HD NRL I actually want to subscribe to.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think what you are presenting as an option is not accurate.

The geododging recommendation and interpretation you’re talking about is intended to apply in cases where the content is not reasonably made available.

Malcom Turnbull’s quote there specifically said overseas content also.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I'd be very comfortable fighting a case based onthe legality of geododging

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: February 11, 2018, 4:58 pm I think what you are presenting as an option is not accurate.

The geododging recommendation and interpretation you’re talking about is intended to apply in cases where the content is not reasonably made available.

The overseas content they refer to is largely content licensed domestically here with other services. That's why they geo block in the first place. So I don't see a huge distinction.

Anyway its a legal debate that I will leave for the laywers, or TR once he passes the bar.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

edwahu wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 11, 2018, 4:58 pm I think what you are presenting as an option is not accurate.

The overseas content they refer to is largely content licensed domestically here with other services. That's why they geo block in the first place. So I don't see a huge distinction.

Anyway its a legal debate that I will leave for the laywers, or TR once he passes the bar.
That might be a bit of a wait. Better just Google it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dusty wrote: February 11, 2018, 3:23 pm
Coastalraider wrote:I use the nrl app, $3 a week and can watch live, replays and highlights of all games. It's a bit of a pain having to watch on a phone, but it's a lot cheaper than fox!
Can you use apple mirroring to watch it on a smart tv?

I don't believe so, I know you can't project via chrome cast. They are pretty good at locking out options, as their tv partner probably would be impressed if the cheap device was able to be put on a big screen.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yep, no Apple TV mirroring
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

gangrenous wrote:Yep, no Apple TV mirroring
Thanks

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Dusty wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Yep, no Apple TV mirroring
Thanks

Also, When you Chrome cast the video from the NRL site you end up with a tiny square of footage on a very big tv.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I go to Rick's house, he has Fox.. would recommend. Downside is that Rick is there most of the times too.

Alternatively, I have a Telstra account, so I use the NRL app at other times.. it's also a handy backup when there are thunderstorms about and Fox stops working!

Beats the old days of going to a pub and hoping that they were showing the game.. bonus if it had sound.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The other slightly cheaper option with full functionality is Foxtel Now streaming. This is $45 a month for Sports + Basic. The minimum to get the equivalent NRL HD is $65 for the usual foxtel service. You may also be able to get good bundling deals if you are with Telstra elsewhere or can move across to Telstra. I believe they offered a year of basic Now for free to all mobile customers last year.

You can also actually get HD Sports by itself with Foxtel at the moment for $39 a month but it's for new customers only. I've found in similar situations that if you ring up and say you will quit unless they give you the same deal they will sometimes offer it to you. Don't be afraid to push them to give you the best deal possible, especially if you have been with them for years.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

edwahu wrote: February 12, 2018, 10:23 am
You can also actually get HD Sports by itself with Foxtel at the moment for $39 a month but it's for new customers only. I've found in similar situations that if you ring up and say you will quit unless they give you the same deal they will sometimes offer it to you. Don't be afraid to push them to give you the best deal possible, especially if you have been with them for years.
I pulled the plug on Foxtel last year in a fit of pique over one of Sky New's late night try hard shock jocks slagging off gay marriage supporters.

When I rang, they were prepared to do anything, up to and including bearing my children, to have me not cancel.

If you've been a subscriber for a few years, you're probably paying way too much. Ring and tell them you're going to cancel and they will definitely sharpen it up for you.

Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

My mum has the top package (no idea why, told her to lower it or cancel cos she only watches 4 channels)... i have her login details... I just use that to watch it on my phone...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I had a similar experience, T_R. Halved how much I pay
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Did that too, they gave me the platinum package for the same price
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The watchnrl.com service for overseas streaming I mentioned above is now available. Its not free anymore (cheapest option is $189 annually), so there shouldn't be any moral dramas as far as using it with a VPN since that is probably more than the cost for the NRL component of a foxtel sub. Not great for those of us who travel for work though and will have to cough up $19 a week on top of our fox subs when OS.

No native app but it does have Chromecast support. There's a free two week trial as well.

Hopefully next tv deal has a service like this available domestically.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Makes sense. Cost seems a bit steep
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: February 13, 2018, 6:51 am Makes sense. Cost seems a bit steep Image
I think the NRL just realised how loaded the average expat is.

The good thing with this service is its available in every country except Aus and the pacific. The old services where restricted in countries which had seperate deals, so it was hit and miss if it worked.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Does anybody know if any games will be braodcast in the uk, so far it looks like only the thursday and both friday games will be telecast on sky
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Why cant Foxtel Now have NRL on demand, $3 per game or something similar, the only thing i will be watching is the raiders games, and it wont be on a 7 inch screen