Cronulla Sharks 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: Cronulla Sharks 2018

Post by Sid »

edwahu wrote: August 30, 2018, 11:45 am The worst thing about the Gee situation was it happened before and the NRL did nothing differently the second time around.

In 2009 Don Nissen, the former Broncos Chairman, admitted under oath in a corruption trial that the Broncos outright cheated the cap. He just refused to co-operate with the NRL and so nothing happened. It was a blatant admission of cap cheating that went unpunished and was swept under the carpet.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bruno- ... 1qwt5.html
This was a joke. I can't believe more hasn't been made of it.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I for one am fully confident this is the last salary cap controversy we'll ever see in the NRL.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Valentine Holmes to reportedly quit NRL to pursue NFL dream

VALENTINE Holmes is reportedly set to do a Jarryd Hayne and quit the NRL immediately to pursue an NFL dream. The Cronulla star has told the Sharks he intends to quit rugby league after recently meeting with “a major NFL franchise” during a visit to Nike’s US head office. He has one year remaining on his Sharks contract.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c8c1ce6ca9
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Sharks should hold him to the contract. Just to protect him from himself. Some of these blokes must have a brain the size of a pea.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Foxsports are reporting Valentine Holmes has been granted an immediate release from Crudnulla to pursue a NFL career.

He's gone..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Sharks need a centre or 5/8 or fullback.
Jenko from parra might be an option or AJ from rabbits.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

What a waste of talent. He was one of the best in the game this season with so much ahead of him. Now he's going to blow it all so he can maybe sit on an NFL practice squad for a year.

I have no idea why these top NRL players want to pursue this. A transition to the NFL is a better option for a fringe player who has the physical gifts but not the all round talent to make the top tier in rugby league.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:What a waste of talent. He was one of the best in the game this season with so much ahead of him. Now he's going to blow it all so he can maybe sit on an NFL practice squad for a year.

I have no idea why these top NRL players want to pursue this. A transition to the NFL is a better option for a fringe player who has the physical gifts but not the all round talent to make the top tier in rugby league.
I agree. I can’t understand where these guys are coming from.

One issue that concerns me, is that too many NRL players don’t seem to love the way rugby league is being played and refereed at the moment. They are looking for something that the NRL isn’t giving them.

The Raiders have played off the cuff, throw the ball around rugby league, and lost games. But the boring game of structured attack, controlled ruck and suffocating defence tactics is what wins games and premierships.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: November 20, 2018, 3:21 pm
Northern Raider wrote:What a waste of talent. He was one of the best in the game this season with so much ahead of him. Now he's going to blow it all so he can maybe sit on an NFL practice squad for a year.

I agree. I can’t understand where these guys are coming from.

One issue that concerns me, is that too many NRL players don’t seem to love the way rugby league is being played and refereed at the moment. They are looking for something that the NRL isn’t giving them.

The Raiders have played off the cuff, throw the ball around rugby league, and lost games. But the boring game of structured attack, controlled ruck and suffocating defence tactics is what wins games and premierships.
They don't have many brain cells to rub together some of these blokes. I guess they're hoping they get into a squad... and even if they're fringe, they still get more dollars than they would in the NRL. Valentine Holmes will not make it in the NFL. But if he wants to waste his career... up to him I guess.

Personally, if I were the Sharks, I'd have held him to his contract. They're pretty **** blokes that walk out on a contract and their team mates.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Fergus, Holmes was offered $800k per season by the Cows. There's no way he'd be paid that in the NFL.

Matt or Pigman could accurately offer a salary Holmes is likely to earn

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

On the bright side.

It's one less player running through us in 2019 and scoring tries for fun.

Go Val.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote: November 20, 2018, 6:40 pm Fergus, Holmes was offered $800k per season by the Cows. There's no way he'd be paid that in the NFL.

Matt or Pigman could accurately offer a salary Holmes is likely to earn

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Holmes would potentially earn that if he made a roster as a backup receiver or something....and thats a massive IF. Realistically he would not be in that position till the 2020/21 season. It will take him a several years to be in a better earning position than if he stuck with the NRL.

Of course if he does prove successful he could have 4-5 years on some decent coin, while his NRL salary would remain fairly static. He's taking a huge step backwards now with a dream of big $$$ later. It's a bit like somebody quitting a senior management job in a bank or something and going off to sell real estate.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: November 21, 2018, 6:45 am On the bright side.

It's one less player running through us in 2019 and scoring tries for fun.

Go Val.
Yeah but Val Holmes does that to every team. Our problem is the ploders we make look like immortals. Unfortunately there's an endless supply of those.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Leaves the Sharks in a very tricky situation. I’d presume they’ll probably try and find a short term solution replacement and front load and get Barba next season. You’d think they’re probably already trying to sound out Barba for ‘19 despite being on the cows books.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘He’s left us in a big hole’: Gallen calls for Holmes to be banned for life

Paul Gallen has broken ranks at Cronulla to give his former teammate Valentine Holmes both barrels over his decision to quit the Sharks and pursue an NFL career.

“It’s been a dream of his which is great. I push guys to pursue their dreams without a doubt, but the fact is he had one year left on his contract and we don’t get this far in this game or any game without your teammates. And Val’s left us, he’s walked out on us, which I find disappointing,” he said.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 11a7a99bd4

‘I’m not planning to fail’: Why Valentine Holmes is walking away from $5 million: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ac8e74bb2c

Valentine Holmes confident about making his NFL dream a reality, gives thoughts on possible position: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/valent ... e68ed61a7e

‘It’s a huge risk’: Todd Greenberg and Sharks teammates react to Val Holmes’ shock NFL switch: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8d4f85979d
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Have the Sharks even started pre-season yet?

Gallen and Flanno are carrying on like miserable ****s.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Integrity unit reviewing payments from a fake finance loan used to pay Robson and Heighington:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 92e0bdc31b

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... nt=control

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Of all the players to risk doing dodgy deals with, they do it on Robson and Heighington

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Penalties will be backdated anyway. Just like the peptides.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CEO Todd Greenberg says NRL won't be bailing out Cronulla Sharks

Rugby league boss Todd Greenberg doesn't feel the Cronulla Sharks are on the brink of collapse but at the same time reiterated that the NRL is not bailing any club out of financial trouble.The Sharks have hit several financial hurdles since they won the Telstra premiership just two years ago and this week let go 10 administration staff as one cost-cutting exercise.

"I'm on record as saying, and I'll say it again, that the NRL will not be bailing out clubs in this next phase of the financial cycle.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/29/sha ... decisions/

Video: Greenberg confident Sharks will turn finances around: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/30/gre ... es-around/
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Good

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

It’d make no sense for the ERL to keep propping up the financially struggling Sydney clubs that aren’t doing enough to help themselves when the game is screaming for congested Sydney sides to make way for a second Brisbane team and a Perth side.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Is the NRL still propping up Knights, Titans and Dragons though?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Cronulla Sharks 2018

Post by RTW »

Get rid of the Sharks bring in the Dolphins!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kyle Flanagan signs new deal with Cronulla Sharks to end 2021

Young Sharks half back Kyle Flanagan today signed a two-year contract extension that will see him remain at the Cronulla club at least until the end of the 2021 season.

"Being a local boy, I've grown up watching the Sharks and I've always wanted to play for the club," Flanagan said. "I witnessed the Grand Final victory and I'd like to think we can replicate the success of 2016 and I can be a part of that in the years to come.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/04/kyl ... la-sharks/
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Huawei CFO arrested

Post by The Nickman »

Shane Flanagan reportedly under investigation over alleged behaviour during 2014 peptides suspension

Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan is reportedly under investigation after the NRL’s probe into the club’s possible salary cap breaches revealed alleged behaviour that violated the terms of his 2014 suspension.

Flanagan served a 12-month ban in 2014 for his role in the Sharks’ 2011 peptides scandal that rocked rugby league and Australian sport. During his exile, the 2016 premiership-winning coach was not permitted to have any contact with Sharks players or officials.

But according to News Limited journalist Phil Rothfield, the NRL’s ongoing salary cap investigation revealed alleged evidence of contact between the coach and club staff during the suspension.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-l ... spartanntp
Last edited by The Nickman on December 12, 2018, 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Re: Huawei CFO arrested

Post by Sid »

I guess that belongs in the 'Canberra Raiders express interest in Kiwi superstar Shaun Johnson' thread

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan is under investigation by the NRL as salary cap probe uncovers evidence

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan is being investigated by the NRL after the code’s integrity unit uncovered evidence he communicated with the club during his 12-month suspension in 2014. There was an edict, under the terms of Flanagan’s suspension, imposed following the supplements scandal that engulfed the club, that the coach was to have no direct or indirect contact with officials and players.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/news/shark ... 3387854c0e

Shock father-son twist as NRL investigates Sharks coach Shane Flanagan over email evidence, Kyle has out clause if Shane is no longer coach: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 38d5756560
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hear me out.
Sharks fined and it ends up in their 2020 salary cap. They need to release Johnson and end up paying part of his salary for him to come to us.
Stuart quits in excitement.
Penalty broncos.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Deregister. Twice the penalty this time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I absolutely despise Flanagan as a person and a coach.

Still, he's a better coach than our current peanut, which depresses me no end.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The Nickman wrote: December 12, 2018, 10:01 am I absolutely despise Flanagan as a person and a coach.

I should clear this comment up too, I don't despise our current coach as a person, and I admire how much he bleeds green for the club. There's nothing personal here, I'm just dealing with facts. The bloke can't coach, has had two decades to prove otherwise and has failed on multiple occasions over many tenures.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

The Nickman wrote: December 12, 2018, 10:02 am
The Nickman wrote: December 12, 2018, 10:01 am I absolutely despise Flanagan as a person and a coach.

I should clear this comment up too, I don't despise our current coach as a person, and I admire how much he bleeds green for the club. There's nothing personal here, I'm just dealing with facts. The bloke can't coach, has had two decades to prove otherwise and has failed on multiple occasions over many tenures.
They are polar opposites aren't they? Ricky is a good bloke with a big heart - bleeds for th club and the boys. But is a crap technical coach.

Flanagan seems like a right P%$^K, but is a very skilled technical coach.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I wish the Cronulla club all the very worse.

They should all be put on a barge, left adrift on the ocean for Navy target practice.