Brisbane Broncos 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Brisbane Broncos 2018

Post by Schifty »

Signing with a club for the following season is one thing.

But to think a coach could be 100% committed when they knew they would be coaching elsewhere the following season was next level delusion, on both parties.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I don’t think either team or either coach thought at any point they would actually be staying with their old teams next season.

This has all been about the payout. Broncos were trying to create a situation where Bennet would walk, Bennet played the game and the media to ensure the only way he was leaving was with a fat cheque.
The whole reason he held his presser on Friday was to call the bluff and force Brinsbane into the corner - the only outcome was to sack him and pay him out.
Nobody plays the game like sidemouth.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I say again... Bennett is one of the greediest and 2 faced men in rugby league. Who can go past him insisting that his players take pay cuts to remain at the Broncos while he was accepting payments on the side from the thoroughbreds.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Can someone please explain to me how the Broncos can pay top dollar for two top coaches next season under the football department cap?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Because the football cap is similar to the salary cap. You break it you pay a fine - if you get caught. We're talking about the Broncos here.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is Bennett’s own little poison pill for the Broncos. What a guy!
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

My understanding is that the football department cap does not include the salary of the head coach... not sure if it includes the payout to a former coach

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Article from February this year on NRL.com:

Any coach sacked this year will have his wages or any financial settlement counted as part of the club's $5.7 million ceiling on football department expenditure, along with the cost of hiring a replacement. In addition, clubs who exceed the football department salary cap will be liable for a 37 per cent luxury tax on the amount they have overspent.

As a result, the football department cap is set to provide NRL coaches greater job security than ever before.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/05/win ... -security/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I look forward to the day Wayne Bennet retires..

He's running the game !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt Lodge re-signs with Brisbane Broncos to end 2020

The transformation of Brisbane prop Matt Lodge has taken another step forward after he inked a new two-year contract with the club on Thursday.

The 23-year-old's signature follows hot on the heels of winger Corey Oates' one-year extension with the Broncos earlier in the week. Boom forward Tevita Pangai jnr is expected to follow suit in the near future as the Broncos assemble a squad they believe can challenge for a seventh title.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/06/mat ... two-years/

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/06/mat ... h-broncos/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tevita Pangai Jnr re-signs with Brisbane Broncos on one year deal to end 2019

The Brisbane Broncos have completed a multi-million dollar week of big-name signings with boom forward Tevita Pangai Jnr inking a one-year extension for 2019. Pangai, was born in Sydney and played his junior football in Newcastle and Canberra.

"I was also really excited when I heard that Anthony Seibold was coming to the club with his staff . I feel like he can really help me, he's really big on the effort and the defensive areas," he said.

Read more and video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/07/tev ... taumalolo/