Manly Sea Eagles charged over significant cap breaches

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

BUZZ ROTHFIELD
@BuzzRothfield

BREAKING: @SeaEagles charged with significant salary cap breaches
https://mobile.twitter.com/BuzzRothfiel ... 9675572224

Says he will say more about it on NRL 360 and on the Daily Telegraph website

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Manly Sea Eagles charged over significant cap breaches

Post by greeneyed »

Manly Sea Eagles facing 'significant fine' after NRL salary cap breach notice

Manly are facing a "significant fine" after a lengthy investigation by the NRL's integrity unit found potential breaches of the competition's salary cap by the club over the past five years.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 02l94.html

Sea Eagles hit with breach notice

The NRL today issued a breach notice to the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles after concluding its investigation into salary cap issues at the club.

The notice concerns preliminary findings of potential breaches of the salary cap over the last five years.

Should these preliminary findings be confirmed, proposed sanctions could include a significant fine on the club.

The club could also be required to adjust its salary cap for 2018 to recognise commitments made to players that are found to be in breach of the cap.

In addition to the matters relevant to the club, show cause notices have also been issued to two current club officials, requiring them to demonstrate why their registrations should not be cancelled.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the Manly club and both officials have already been provided with opportunities to assist the NRL during this investigation.

They will now be given a chance to respond formally to the preliminary findings before final determinations are made.

Mr Greenberg said that, in accordance with the NRL Rules, the parties have been given five days to respond to the breach notices but, given the seriousness of the allegations, the NRL would consider a request for an extension of time.

NRL media release
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Manly may have to shed players over cap penalty

The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles face the prospect of having to shed players for 2018 after today being issued by a breach notice from the NRL following an investigation into the club's salary cap.

The NRL said possible sanctions could include "a significant fine" while they may also have to make adjustments to their 2018 cap due to payments to current players made in breach of the cap.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/manly-may-have-to-sh ... fault.aspx

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Another year, another significant multi-year salary breach found.. the salary cap system works! :doubt:
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I wonder why no other salary cap league in the world goes through this like RL

The answer to solve this is complete and total transparency. To the public and press
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Pigman wrote:I wonder why no other salary cap league in the world goes through this like RL

The answer to solve this is complete and total transparency. To the public and press
Amen.

At the least it's the most logical place to start.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A DCE pay cut will fix it....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Burn

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Well T_R....secretly we all hate Manly.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

To be fair, Id have said that about most clubs

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yeah they all blow, but Manly/Roosters/Broncos head my list....
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

but on a side not the roosters, broncos and dogs have plenty of room to move and will take all players they get rid of :)
Vaccinated
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The club could also be required to adjust its salary cap for 2018 to recognise commitments made to players that are found to be in breach of the cap.

So TPA's again.

If it's just a fine it's a joke.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Manly Sea Eagles Statement on Cap Breaches

The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles were advised by the NRL today of their preliminary findings in relation to its ongoing salary cap investigation.

Sea Eagles CEO Lyall Gorman said today:

“We were advised of the alleged breach by the NRL this morning and immediately convened our legal team to thoroughly review the breach notice and detailed files given to us by the NRL.

Based on our legal team’s preliminary review, there is disagreement with several of the NRL findings and consistent with our rights under the NRL rules and regulations have commenced a path of legal review and response.

As we have consistently stated, if there are historical compliance issues, we will work both internally and with the NRL to identify those issues and remedy them.

There is a significant amount of material to work through, based on the documentation handed to us today and the Club will be defending those matters through the appropriate channels.

Whilst the normal breach notice protocol is 5 days to respond, the Club will be seeking an extension to ensure we can deliver a robust response to the allegations.”

Manly Sea Eagles press release

Last edited by Notaroboticfish on December 11, 2017, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Btw, Lyall Gorman was the CEO that rebuilt the Sharks after the doping scandal, he goes to Manly and immediately is faced with this lol

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Must love his job

Bounces from one hot garbage fire to the next one

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

at least he has his press statements all prepared :)
Vaccinated
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

NRL to now turn their attention to investigating another perennial cellar dweller.... meanwhile in Roosters and Bronco land?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Apparently it’s been $400 000 total over 5 years; which iirc, is about a quarter of Parra’s cheating.

According to Paul Kent they just simply had a player that was for example on $150 000 and told the NRL he was on $100 000. Buzz says it’s exactly the same as Parramatta (ie. TPAs)

No points are expected to be docked, only punishment expected is a $400 000 cut to their 2018 salary cap

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

And yet they were still chasing Pearce. The whole system is garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Seriously... send an email to the NRL and to Todd Greenberg. They have to know the fans don’t believe there’s any integrity left in the salary cap arrangements.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:Seriously... send an email to the NRL and to Todd Greenberg. They have to know the fans don’t believe there’s any integrity left in the salary cap arrangements.
There was an e-mail to the NRL regarding transparency in player payments and TPA's just a month ago, the response was underwhelming, I guess I'm still trying to get my head around how much the club is allowed to be involved with TPA's when it comes to player contracts.
Keep in mind in the past month since this e-mail exchange there has been the Maloney TPA debacle and the Manly 5 year salary cap breach.

Subject
There needs to be transparency regarding player salaries and TPA’s.

The current system is not a fair one and is a blight on the game.

Response
The NRL is not in a position to discuss individual players contract amounts. (other professional sporting codes do, don't they?)The process of registering all contracts includes ensuring there is no salary cap breach (So how have so many clubs been busted cheating the Cap?.)

All Third Party Agreements must be registered and approved and audits are conducted regularly to ensure the rules are adhered to.

Clubs are aware of their obligations to disclose all contracts and payments in advance. They are aware that if that does not happen then they risk having it included in the cap. (Aren’t the clubs supposed to be removed from TPA's?)

The NRL also conducts investigations into arrangements between sponsors, players and players partners and where appropriate (When Andrew Gee is not involved) can compel the club and/or the player to provide information relating to payments made to or on behalf of the player by club sponsors. (Again, thought the club wasn't supposed to have anything to do with TPA's?)

The salary cap is an area of the game which is constantly under review (because the current system clearly isn’t working) and your views are welcome.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us.

Kind regards

Robert
Supporter Liaison

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Just something that needs to be made clear.

None of the cap cheating has ever been uncovered by the NRL, this is another case. NSW police brought this matter to the attention of the NRL.

The only time these matters are addressed is when the media is involved.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned about constraining TPAs, just because the Raiders might be above average users. They MUST be capped and included in the cap. All teams must be on a level playing field, and at the moment... they're not.

I would be concerned... if it were true that the Raiders were above average users of TPAs... because that says a whole lot about cap management and the strength of the squad is not congruent with above average use of TPAs. It is consistent with a team that struggles to get TPAs. If that were the case, it would all be on club management.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Its pretty obvious we pay big premiums for players and if we are the top end of TPAs and are breaching the cap then to some extent that reflects the reality of what we have to spend for players and we need to cop it on the chin and adjust our expectations accordingly. It's difficult to know how bad our cap management is without knowing what good cap management would really look like for us.

I mean we were unable to keep and sign anyone at all when we attempted to get premium players, if we had TPAs in place at that time what more could they do?

I'm doubtful we are still at the top end anyway.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Manly Sea Eagles car deal raise questions over the NRL’s murky third-party arrangement system

The third-party agreement sponsor at the centre of the NRLs' salary cap investigation into Manly has just become a club backer, raising fresh questions about what constitutes an "arm's length" agreement in the murky world of TPAs.

Brookvale Mazda has entered into a commercial partnership with the Sea Eagles as the club's official vehicle supplier. The governing body is said to have rubber-stamped the arrangement despite the fact four current players are still on the firm's books as brand ambassadors.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 04s59.html