Rugby League 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Rugby League 2018

Post by greeneyed »

Four double-headers to highlight 2018 NRL schedule

The NRL will stage an unprecedented four double-headers across four major cities in Australia and New Zealand as part of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership.

Sydney's ANZ Stadium and Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium will host double headers in 2018, along with Perth Stadium and Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium, all in the first 10 rounds of the 2018 Premiership.

It will be the first time in the history of the NRL four double-headers have been a part of the schedule.

The double headers will feature:

- South Sydney Rabbitohs v Warriors and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Premiers Melbourne Storm at the new Perth Stadium in Round One on Saturday, March 10;

- South Sydney Rabbitohs v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles and Parramatta Eels v Cronulla Sutherland Sharks at ANZ Stadium in Round Three on Saturday, March 24;

- Wests Tigers v Melbourne Storm and Warriors v North Queensland Cowboys at Auckland’s Mt Smart Stadium in Round Five on Saturday, April 7;

- Melbourne Storm v Gold Coast Titans and Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium in Round 10 on Saturday, May 12.

The Perth double header will feature the first match as defending Premiers for Melbourne Storm, while the Auckland double header will feature both Grand Finalists, Melbourne Storm and North Queensland Cowboys.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the double headers would create an exciting element of next season’s schedule.

"We will have double headers in four major cities – three in Australia and one in New Zealand," Mr Greenberg said.

"This is a huge step for the game and I'd like to thank the Clubs involved for their efforts to embrace the concept and ensure the matches eventuated.

"This is also a direct result of us having more control over the Premiership schedule in 2018.

"We have had significant success with double headers at Suncorp Stadium in recent seasons and this is a natural progression.

"It will create more blockbuster events for our fans in 2018."

All four double headers will be broadcast exclusively on FOX LEAGUE, on Foxtel.

Tickets for the Perth Round One double-header are available at nrl.com/tickets

NRL media release
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Rugby League 2018

Post by reptar »

Oooh time machine! What are the winning lotto numbers ge?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If I knew that I wouldn't be posting here. Well yes I probably would. I'd just be a whole lot wealthier.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Yes. You would. Haha
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL announces regional 2018 matches

The NRL will schedule matches across seven different regional locations in NSW and Queensland as part of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Premiership matches will be held in Mudgee, Tamworth, Bathurst and Gosford next year, as well as Gladstone, Toowoomba and Cairns.

It means the 2018 season will include the most number of regional locations in NSW and Queensland in the history of the NRL Premiership.

The Gold Coast Titans will take two matches to regional centres (Gladstone and Toowoomba), while South Sydney will continue play one of its matches in Cairns.

The St George Illawarra Dragons will host a match in Mudgee – which will also be the venue for the annual pre-season Charity Shield match against the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Wests Tigers will host a match in Tamworth, Penrith Panthers will play in Bathurst, while both the Sydney Roosters and South Sydney will take matches to Gosford.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the NRL had worked with the clubs and Country Rugby League in order to maximise the number of matches in regional areas in 2018.

"We have said for some time it was our strong desire to take more games to regional venues in 2018, and we're extremely happy to have been able to do that as part of the new schedule," Mr Greenberg said.

"I want to thank the clubs involved for working with us on delivering this positive result for the game in regional areas but also the local councils, community groups and our government partners for being so enthusiastic about hosting rugby league matches.

"It will be great to see so many people in regional areas being able to witness the best of rugby league up close in 2018."

CRL CEO Terry Quinn said the additional matches were a victory for country rugby league fans.

"We always said that, if the Country v City match was to be discontinued, we needed to see more NRL games in regional areas," he said.

"We have secured those extra matches and it means fans will be able to see NRL games in more regional areas than ever before."

Details of each of the fixtures will be released when the full 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership schedule is announced.

NRL media release
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Didn't really know where to put this, but V8 Supercars Chief Executive James Warburton has resigned from his role.

This article links him to going for the NRL CEO gig this year

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 4e9c7f3533

That said, it was written by James Phelps, who has disappeared from the V8 world since he got hammered for his Ford Mustang "Exclusive"

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Geez, Gladstone? Really?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Didn't really know where to put this, but V8 Supercars Chief Executive James Warburton has resigned from his role.

That said, it was written by James Phelps, who has disappeared from the V8 world since he got hammered for his Ford Mustang "Exclusive"

It’s understood Warburton, who brought Supercars back from the brink and turned it into a sporting force, was wined and dined by Phil Gould and Nick Politis earlier this year as the rugby league power brokers tried to entice him to push for NRL CEO Todd Greenberg’s job.

Why would it be Gould and Politis doing that?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

warburton is a smart operator but loves hearing his own voice

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Honestly, I don’t think Toddy’s been doing too bad of a job
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I don't think Toddy's doing a great job. But if he's pissed off Gould and Politis he's doing something right!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Didn't really know where to put this, but V8 Supercars Chief Executive James Warburton has resigned from his role.

It’s understood Warburton, who brought Supercars back from the brink and turned it into a sporting force, was wined and dined by Phil Gould and Nick Politis earlier this year as the rugby league power brokers tried to entice him to push for NRL CEO Todd Greenberg’s job.

Why would it be Gould and Politis doing that?
How long you been following this mickey mouse comp? This is how we roll in the NRL, agendas, power plays from selfish individuals, no strategic thinking from anyone - just another day in NRL land.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Paul Vautin out of The Footy Show with show under a cloud after 24 years on air

Channel Nine has axed Paul Vautin from The Footy Show as the program undergoes its most dramatic overhaul in 24 years. There is confusion over whether the show had been axed to make way for a new one-hour program headed by Erin Molan with more of a focus on football.

Footy Show executive producer Glenn Pallister this week told Vautin the show would no longer exist in its current format and he would not be a part of it. Vautin has one year of his contract to run and is likely to spend it in the commentary box.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 017-gz2i8h
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

good riddance

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker

Sid wrote:good riddance
Wouldn’t get too excited. Daily Telegraph is saying it’s actually being expanded to Monday night and Sunday lunchtime as well. Just sounds like they’re changing the format somewhat
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Fatty was the only funny bloke left, when I stopped watching a few years ago. An absolute legend too. All the best to him
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Not even close to the complete revamp channel nine requires
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Vautin....funny? Does not compute. The bloke is a potato

Having to put up with him calling games again will be a punish

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I haven’t watched that show once in over a decade and I am completely confident I didn’t miss one genuinely funny moment

The show was an absolute **** tyre fire enjoyed only by people who are drunk/high/...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Haven't watched tfs since about 98. Don't care.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL to release full 2018 draw

THE 2018 round one schedule was leaked earlier this week, and now the NRL is set to announce the full draw for next season. The NRL will make the full 2018 draw public at 10am on Thursday.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 73d6faf4ae
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Wow, that’s so early!

'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Toviii wrote:Wow, that’s so early!

Yeah so we can whinge and moan about the Raiders being screwed over and be done by Xmas...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season schedule

The NRL will stage a record number of double headers and regional matches in 2018 as well as more Sunday blockbusters in a new look season schedule.

There will also be a standalone weekend for State of Origin II, while no club will have more than three 5-day turnarounds as part of a drive to protect player welfare.

The Premiership will open with a clash between St George Illawarra and Brisbane Broncos at UOW Jubilee Stadium on Thursday, March 8.

Round One will also feature a Sunday afternoon clash between Penrith Panthers and Parramatta Eels at Panthers Stadium. There will be 28 Sunday matches in Sydney - in 22 of the 25 rounds.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg announced the 2018 season would feature:

• Four double headers – Perth Stadium, Sydney's ANZ Stadium, Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium and Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium;

• Five matches in regional NSW (Bathurst, Tamworth, Mudgee and two in Gosford), and three in regional Queensland (Gladstone, Cairns and Toowoomba);

• A more even distribution of free to air matches on Channel Nine. Eleven teams will play in at least 10 matches on free-to-air TV next year – compared with only five teams in 2017;

• A standalone weekend for a Sunday night State of Origin II, which means only two rounds will be directly affected by State of Origin;

• The introduction of a Thursday night game in the Easter Round (North Queensland Cowboys against Penrith Panthers). This means games will be played on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday over the Easter break;

• Some of the game's greats rivalries being played out twice during the season, including: Broncos v Cowboys, Bulldogs v Eels, Rabbitohs v Roosters, Dragons v Sharks and Panthers v Eels;

• Games staged in every mainland Australia capital as well as both the north and south Islands of New Zealand.

Mr Greenberg said the NRL had worked with the broadcasters to ensure a new-look draw aimed at benefitting fans, clubs and players.

"We have more control of the schedule for 2018 and we believe we have been able to deliver some wins for the everyone, but particularly the fans," Mr Greenberg said.

"There are more blockbusters in family-friendly timeslots.

"We have introduced a Thursday night match before Good Friday because that's what our supporters told us they want.

"And there will be at least one Sydney match for fans to attend nearly every Sunday during the season.

"We have also worked with the clubs to ensure that their requested priority match-ups were delivered.

"Additionally, for the first time the NRL will stage four double headers in one season – across two countries, as well as matches in seven different locations across regional NSW and Queensland.

"Having more control of the draw has allowed us to not only release the schedule earlier, but it has also allowed us to analyse the structure of the draw in greater detail.

"It has also allowed more equity in the broadcast of all 16 teams.

"I'd like to thank both the broadcasters and the Clubs for ensuring the process has resulted in a great draw for all our key stakeholders."

Mr Greenberg also said there would be a reduction in five-day turnarounds, while no club would have more than three five-day turnarounds.

"Two years ago there were 43 five-day turnarounds … next year that will drop to 24," he said. "We would like to thank the RLPA for working closely with us during this process."

All 25 rounds were announced today at ANZ Stadium, allowing supporters the chance to plan the entire season in advance.

The Telstra Premiership Finals Series will begin on September 7 and culminate in the Grand Final on September 30.

NRL media release

Full NRL draw: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 2#p1552208
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hmm I vaguely remember them saying there would be zero 5 day turn arounds this year. Any reduction in it is a positive at least.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

when is the schedule being taken away from 9?
Maybe if Storm can learn to play as well as the Tigers they can have more FTA games than them.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It has reputedly been taken away from Nine!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Very disappointed to see that out game against the Dragons is going to be played in Mudgee, watching the Raiders play the Dragons in Wollongong is always a good afternoon regardless of the result and plenty of Canberra fans make the trip up. Seems like a logical game for a clash with another Sydney club!

Overall the draw looks more equitable and it is good to see more afternoon time slots which are much better for families.

Hopefully being an even year the raiders can actually play some decent football!
beetlejuice
David Furner
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by beetlejuice »

pickles wrote:Very disappointed to see that out game against the Dragons is going to be played in Mudgee, watching the Raiders play the Dragons in Wollongong is always a good afternoon regardless of the result and plenty of Canberra fans make the trip up. Seems like a logical game for a clash with another Sydney club!

Overall the draw looks more equitable and it is good to see more afternoon time slots which are much better for families.

Hopefully being an even year the raiders can actually play some decent football!
I felt the same, the Dragons away game in wollongong is always a good afternoon!

but they are playing on the Central Coast for the first time since 2005!!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Love the Raiders, Hate The NRL.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Cooper Cronk confirms he will play on with a Sydney club in season 2018

THE chase for Cooper Cronk is officially on. Cronk met with his agent George Mimis on Friday and confirmed that he wanted to continue his NRL career in Sydney for possibly the next two years.

Mimis confirmed: "Cooper asked me to explore what opportunities are out there and he will play if the right option exists."

While no deal has been done, the Sydney Roosters are in the box seat to secure the 33-year-old’s prized signature.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... m=Facebook
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If he is signed by the Roosters... it is absolutely ridiculous!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Gotta laugh.

Rothfield has calculated in the Daily Telegraph how the Roosters sit below the $9.5 million dollar cap.

These include only having 20 paid players in the squad and Daniel Tupou on $220k.

Also the total sum of money doesn’t include players like Jackson Hastings and Dale Copley who still have salary baggage at the Roosters.

Daily Telegraph consistently has Raiders players like Tapine on $800k and Sydney club players like Fittler on $2.25 a season.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote:If he is signed by the Roosters... it is absolutely ridiculous!
Fair go GE, I dont see Nick as a guy who would rort the system...

They have spare cash from when Beetson, Fairfax, and Hastings retired. :doubt:
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt Moylan and James Maloney set for shock NRL club swap

Penrith captain Matt Moylan is on the verge of a shock player swap with Cronulla and Kangaroos half James Maloney in a $6 million move that will rock the NRL. There are still several contract and salary cap issues to be resolved before the deal can proceed but insiders are confident it could be confirmed by Monday.

Moylan could link with the Sharks on a four-year, $3.6 million deal, while Maloney would make Penrith his sixth NRL club in a three-year, $2.5 million move.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/matt-m ... ce98c6bab0