Rugby League 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Rugby League 2018

Post by zim »

Having a half that defends like Maloney next to the penrith 2nd rowers is going to be a big target for attack. He's not going to have the protection of a Luke Lewis or Wade Graham.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Maloney would be a great buy for the panthers
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

It’s not really a shock swap. I heard and posted it in the Panthers forum 2 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m calling it now. Sharks to implode next year.

Wasting truckloads if cap on Dugan and Moylan. Neither player seems to fit with the attitude of “tough grind through the hard times” culture that got Sharks a premiership.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

gangrenous wrote:I’m calling it now. Sharks to implode next year.

Wasting truckloads if cap on Dugan and Moylan. Neither player seems to fit with the attitude of “tough grind through the hard times” culture that got Sharks a premiership.
I agree with you. They already had fifita, then they signed Dugan, and now moylan. They're all pretty good players, but they're also all douchebags, fifita and Dugan in particular. Moylan just seems a bit immature, and he's always wearing that **** eating grin. These aren't the sort of players you build a healthy culture around.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You forgot the drug cheats... Paul Gallen and Wade Graham.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

But those two actually play hard and dig in when things get tough GE.
zim
Laurie Daley

Rugby League 2018

Post by zim »

Sharks now favourites to sign Pearce

The Cronulla Sharks have emerged as the favoured landing destination of Mitchell Pearce after the halfback met with club officials on Wednesday.

Pearce is yet to commit to a club but is understood to be now leaning towards the Sharks despite strong interest from the Newcastle Knights and the Manly Sea Eagles.

Pearce wants around $1 million a season to join the Knights given the lifestyle change that comes with the move and the fact he would likely be giving up a chance at a premiership in the next couple of years with the rebuilding Knights.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/sharks-now-favourite ... fault.aspx
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Sea Eagles fans would be **** themselves over that news and Val Holmes would be a bit worried about the move too.

1. Moylan
2. Holmes
3. Dugan
6. Townsend
7. Pearce

Surely the Knights are being a bit too picky if they are worried Pearce is signing for the money.
Who lines up at 6 for the Eagles if they don't sign Pearce?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I just saw the 2018 NSW Orign strip..

Well it's different I spose.

Light blue jersey with a dark blue double V....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Just saw set to sign with the Knights.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 63898bb62f
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

expecting Lamb to Sea Eagles to be next
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I don't see why they can't hold on to both. I'd be dropping hodko way before lamb.
Hingano might head to the eagles.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

zim wrote:I don't see why they can't hold on to both. I'd be dropping hodko way before lamb.
They might end up getting fined for still being under the salary cap if they let Hodkinson go.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Jason wrote:
zim wrote:I don't see why they can't hold on to both. I'd be dropping hodko way before lamb.
They might end up getting fined for still being under the salary cap if they let Hodkinson go.
Just pay X amount of his salary. Easier to get rid of him that way too.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

zim wrote:
Jason wrote:
Just pay X amount of his salary. Easier to get rid of him that way too.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL on verge of national women's comp in 2018

The NRL is planning to launch a national women's rugby league competition next year in what would be a watershed moment for the female game in Australia.

Several details are yet to be finalised including what teams will be involved, whether they will be based on territories or existing NRL clubs, and for how long the competition will run.

It's understood the first edition of the league will be a condensed format and will run alongside the NRL finals in September-October, following the completion of the state-based NSW and Queensland women's competitions.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/nrl-on-verge-of-nati ... fault.aspx
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

NSW government looking to spend $2 Billion to knock down and rebuild SFS and the Olympic stadium.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Stadium a lot older than both.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just signed a change.org petition against it.

Peter Fitzsimmons makes a good point that for the same money you could upgrade suburban stadiums, work on discounting junior memberships and still have some spare change

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Except we need state of the art new stadiums for our code. Not band aids on decaying suburban grounds that condemn our sport forever to small crowds.

Anything Peter Fitzsimmons says is not going to promote the interests of rugby league.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Why are they knocking down the SFS? It’s the second best rectangular stadium we have, and the new one will have a smaller capacity. What’s the **** point in doing a knock down rebuild?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Why are they knocking down stadium Australia? It’s like 20 years old
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Cause it's a **** place to watch footy

They're converting it into a rectangle stadium

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Why are they knocking down the SFS? It’s the second best rectangular stadium we have, and the new one will have a smaller capacity. What’s the **** point in doing a knock down rebuild?
It will only have a smaller capacity to the tune of 500 people. The SFS upper tiers have always been poorly designed, in particular, more thought given to the way the roof line looks than the spectators. It’s 30 years old and has lots of safety and structural issues, reportedly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Sydney stadium plans look amazing, I think. Hopefully they proceed and a new Canberra Stadium isn’t far away either.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m all for fixing Homebush it’s a shocker to watch League.

But better transport to SFS and SCG will increase crowds more effectively than a stadium upgrade.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'd rather spend the money on hospitals, health care, (emergency services in general).
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As pointed out in the press today, the NSW Government is investing 100 times that amount in health and education in the same period.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Rugby League 2018

dubby wrote:I'd rather spend the money on hospitals, health care, (emergency services in general).
Or spending the $2b into 100 $10m projects and still have $1b to spare as Fitzsimmons has suggested

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Let's put the $2 billion in perspective. Do you know the estimate of what Australians will spend on Christmas presents this year? $11 billion. That means over the next four years, they will spend at least $44 billion (about) just on Christmas presents. These stadiums are major public goods, major pieces of community infrastructure, and the two brand new stadiums are going to cost just $500 million a year over four years.

Maybe we could spend very slightly less on Christmas presents... and give the money to our local sports clubs, or spend it on the sports registration fees?

This whole thing is a MASSIVE beat up by a politically motivated rugby union journalist!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
dubby wrote:I'd rather spend the money on hospitals, health care, (emergency services in general).
Or spending the $2b into 100 $10m projects and still have $1b to spare as Fitzsimmons has suggested
A $10 million project goes absolutely nowhere. Local sports grounds... are a local government/community issue.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Just dump state govermments and have federal and local
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Just dump all government and install gangrenous as benevolent dictator
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

No. He'll just forget all about you and think of Dibbers.