Rugby League 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2018

Post by greeneyed »

They should hand all of any profit to junior rugby league.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

:lol:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He looks like Bill Oddie
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Jarrod Hayne accused of rape while playing for the 49ers

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 07u0n.html

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Just read the documents. He's a bit in the crap here. It's a civil suit rather than a criminal prosecution, but it's a strong case according to the documents as he has admitted intercourse, but the woman has been witnessed as being in a situation wherein she could not have consented.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah deadspin have a pretty detailed report on it and it doesn’t look good for him at all
Scum bag
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:He looks like Bill Oddie
He looks Bill Oddie stupid!

To steal a great joke from Tim Brooke-Taylor.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Apparently the Sunday Telegraph has an article in it today giving odds on the first NRL scandal of 2018.

Modern day media is really hitting an all time low and I am not sure when or how it will change.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

RTW wrote:Apparently the Sunday Telegraph has an article in it today giving odds on the first NRL scandal of 2018.

Modern day media is really hitting an all time low and I am not sure when or how it will change.
It’s the world we live in, with the amount of rubbish that gets given a platform online, I’m not surprised print media has copied the sensationalism.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Print media embraced sensationalism long before there was an internet!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Internet makes more money for **** journalism
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Yep. Click bait.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Vale, Graeme Langlands

The NRL today paid tribute to Rugby League immortal, Graeme Langlands who passed away overnight.

CEO Todd Greenberg said Langlands was one of the finest players to take the field and, on behalf of the Rugby League community, he passed on his condolences to his family and friends.

"There are only eight immortals and Graeme is one of them... that says it all," Mr Greenberg said. "He was such a dominant player in his era...so many fans would remember growing up watching "Changa" at his best.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/21/val ... langlands/

Graeme 'Changa' Langlands dies at 76: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/21/gra ... ies-at-76/

Langlands the game's best "all-round player'': Fulton: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/21/ful ... e-has-had/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fiji team in NSW Cup close to reality

Petero Civoniceva's dream of a Fiji team playing in the NSW Cup from next year is set to become reality after the bid was officially endorsed by the Fiji National Rugby League.

Civoniceva, who captained the Bati at the 2013 World Cup, believes his three-year campaign for a Fiji team in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW will finally come to fruition in 2019 after the FNRL wrote to the NSWRL to advise they had formally endorsed the bid at a recent board meeting.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/21/fij ... o-reality/
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hundreds attend funeral service for Immortal Graeme Langlands

When the family of Graeme Langlands were asked if they wanted anything else placed on his casket besides his St George and Australian jerseys, they told the funeral celebrant: "Not unless you can find those white boots".

However, as former St George Dragons teammate Steve Edge told the packed gathering of rugby league royalty to farewell the game's fifth Immortal at Woronora Memorial Park on Monday, Langlands had left the infamous white boots hanging on the crossbar of a goal post in Huddersfield.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/29/hun ... langlands/

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/29/rug ... -immortal/

Gallery: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/29/mou ... langlands/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Perth's new 'Colosseum' to boost NRL expansion bids

Rugby league's debut at Perth's new 60,000-capacity stadium will add weight to an expansion bid and Western Australia's ability to poach key NRL events from the Eastern Seaboard, according to players pushing to feature in this year's historic double-header.

Premiers Melbourne Storm will kick off their title defence against Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on March 10, with the South Sydney Rabbitohs and New Zealand Warriors to renew their recent rivalry in the west in the preceding game.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/29/per ... sion-bids/
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

The NRL don't look after what they have, let alone expand.

How about the NRL put on a team other than the Broncos on prime time, expansion should be the least of their priorities.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New ARLC chairman Peter Beattie talks NRL expansion, crowds, ratings and junior league

For years the NRL administration has been accused of lacking vision. Bogged down with the same tired old ideas and no strategic planning for the future. The soon-to-be-appointed new independent commission chairman, former QLD Premier Peter Beattie, has bold ideas to grow the game.

“Expansion has to be on the table. The game can’t be complacent. We have to grow. If we stagnate we die. And that is why I want to see it back on the table. It’s time,” Beattie says.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a731128111
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LP Raider wrote:The NRL don't look after what they have, let alone expand.

How about the NRL put on a team other than the Broncos on prime time, expansion should be the least of their priorities.
Some good discussion on the on NRL 360 tonight, as reflected in the article I just posted. Absolute must if we are to grow the game in my view.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL paving way for Perth expansion with NSW Cup team mooted within three years

The NRL has started discussions about entering a Perth franchise into the NSW Cup within three years, according to Western Australia NRL boss John Sackson.

"For the past six-eight months, there has been a discussion on a possible inclusion of an under-20s team over the next two years," Sackson said. "The next step would be the following year, possibly for a team competing in the NSW state cup as the future of the game is developed."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0ra81.html
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

So we could have a ‘NSW Cup’ that includes a NZ team, a Fiji team and a WA team. That’d be like having a NSWRL that included an ACT team and 2 QLD teams, then to make up for it renaming it to the ARL the same year you introduce the first team outside of Australia. Crazy

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Notaroboticfish wrote:So we could have a ‘NSW Cup’ that includes a NZ team, a Fiji team and a WA team. That’d be like having a NSWRL that included an ACT team and 2 QLD teams, then to make up for it renaming it to the ARL the same year you introduce the first team outside of Australia. Crazy

Too many concussions?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

greeneyed wrote:
LP Raider wrote:The NRL don't look after what they have, let alone expand.

Some good discussion on the on NRL 360 tonight, as reflected in the article I just posted. Absolute must if we are to grow the game in my view.
I agree with you, my point is if you expand and don't look after those teams or give them an equal chance then you're not really expanding.

Look at how the competition is run atm, first the NRL needs to get its act together before an expansion of sorts would be successful.
WorkChoice
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:NRL paving way for Perth expansion with NSW Cup team mooted within three years

The NRL has started discussions about entering a Perth franchise into the NSW Cup within three years, according to Western Australia NRL boss John Sackson.

"For the past six-eight months, there has been a discussion on a possible inclusion of an under-20s team over the next two years," Sackson said. "The next step would be the following year, possibly for a team competing in the NSW state cup as the future of the game is developed."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0ra81.html
There are a lot of 'ifs, whats and maybes' in the article. It needs to be better IMO. Perth has just lost its rugby team - now is the time for the NRL to actually sit down with the WARL (?) and cement an actual timeline for their entry into the competition not just dangling a bit of hope out. They are currently leaving Fiji, PNG, a second Brisbane, Perth and NZ side hanging in hope of entering the competition. They need to develop an actual expansion strategy and make it clear who is getting in so they can start planning for it, otherwise any expansion is not going to take place within the decade.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s a no brainer that we put a team in Perth. Lack of vision, planning and foresight.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Absolutely. 5 years ago I would have said the second team (aside from Perth) for expansion should be a second NZ team but with the Warriors doing everything in their power to destroy RL in NZ I don't think the time is right. Another QLD team is probably the second option at this stage.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I remember when the NSWRL wouldn't let our juniors play Flegg etc because we sent reggies to Logan.

Now, NSWRL will admit teams from all over the country and rest of the world.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A second team in Brisbane is a no brainer... in terms of TV audience, crowds, size of the city... and cutting the power of the Broncos.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Oops GE. Broke the cardinal rule of the NRL on that last point.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Is anyone aware of the 2018 NRL season preview magazine being in newsagents yet ?

You all know the one, glossy, all 16 clubs/players, expert opinion, etc.

I've ducked into my local this week and last but nothing as yet...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

To be published today I think.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Thats good news GE...thanks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Third-party overhaul high on agenda at NRL CEOs conference

The NRL will sit down with all 16 clubs at next week’s CEOs conference to brainstorm ideas around the overhaul of the third-party arrangement system. NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg doesn’t want to stop players from earning additional funds from outside of the sport, however he admitted the existing current system is flawed.

“When I talk to people who have issues with TPAs, I hear a lot of problems but I don't hear a lot of solutions. That happens quite often in the game,” Greenberg said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/09/thi ... onference/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC constitutional reform facing collapse as clubs turn on each other

Some disgruntled NRL clubs are contemplating standing against the constitutional reform, creating fear among other teams that the two commission candidates, Peter V’Landys and Glen Seelected, on Thursday won't be given a chance to influence the future of the sport.

Some clubs are now reconsidering their position believe certain club chairs made alterations to the reform document without consent of all 16 NRL clubs and give too much power to State bodies.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/09/con ... go-to-war/

ARL Commission's club-appointed directors voted in: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/09/arl ... -voted-in/