Rugby League 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Rugby League 2018

Post by RedRaider »

Graeme 'Changa' Langlands RIP. He was easily the best on field captain I have seen. A real 'follow me' leader. I remember Artie Beetson being interviewed once and asked if he (Artie) would Captain an 'all time' great Australian Rugby League side. His reply was that he would not only want Changa in the side but that he (Changa) should be Captain. High praise from a fellow immortal. Justified too imo. Fabulous side step, great last line defender, fearless taking the 'up and under' - now called a bomb, never beaten until the final whistle, able to read the play and call for the ball to put his side to the best advantage, tough as nails, inspirational. I'm still a fan.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL 2018: 30-second shot clock to be extended to all conversions this season

Fans will be treated to several minutes of extra game time during the 2018 NRL season, with the governing body announcing on Wednesday a plan to enforce a clock stoppage after conversion attempts.

The 30-second shot clock, which was already in place for the final five minutes of matches, will now be used for the entire 80 minutes, in a move that Jason King, the NRL's general manager of elite competitions, said would see the ball in play for an extra three minutes a game.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0wf54.html

NRL's shot clock change to break new ground: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21/nrl ... d-in-2018/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL 2018: Clubs opt not to vote on constitutional reform, as Peter Beattie takes over as ARLC Chair

Clubs have opted not to vote on constitutional reform in the knowledge they didn't have the numbers required to gain a voice on the Australian Rugby League Commission. At least two clubs were not prepared to back the constitutional changes in their current form, leading to a resolution to adjourn a vote until March 12.

Peter Beattie, who officially succeeded John Grant as the new ARLC chairman said he will allay the concerns of the three dissenting clubs (Gold Coast, Canterbury and Melbourne) in coming weeks in a bid to get at least two of them to back the changes required to give them a voice on the commission.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 0wf1a.html

VIDEO: Beattie outlines his vision: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21/bea ... is-vision/

ARL Commission vote postponed: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21/arl ... postponed/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kangaroos exploring historic Test in Qatar

Australian coach Mal Meninga is intent on expanding the footprint of rugby league and is considering an expression of interest to host an end-of-season Test in Qatar in October.

Meninga is exploring the possibility of a charity match against Tonga to raise money for the victims of Cyclone Gita, and the financial incentive to take a game to the Middle East could have a huge impact on the lives of those affected.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21/kan ... -in-qatar/
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Fair dinkum, take the game where it has a future.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: February 21, 2018, 2:50 pm NRL 2018: 30-second shot clock to be extended to all conversions this season

Fans will be treated to several minutes of extra game time during the 2018 NRL season, with the governing body announcing on Wednesday a plan to enforce a clock stoppage after conversion attempts.

The 30-second shot clock, which was already in place for the final five minutes of matches, will now be used for the entire 80 minutes, in a move that Jason King, the NRL's general manager of elite competitions, said would see the ball in play for an extra three minutes a game.

NRL's shot clock change to break new ground: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21/nrl ... d-in-2018/
The tactic of kicking the ball into touch to burn up some time will be next...

The moment the ball crosses the sideline..time off until the scum is formed and fed.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

-PJ- wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 21, 2018, 2:50 pm NRL 2018: 30-second shot clock to be extended to all conversions this season

The moment the ball crosses the sideline..time off until the scum is formed and fed.
Doesn’t this already have a time clock on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

El_Capitano wrote: February 22, 2018, 7:17 am
-PJ- wrote:

Doesn’t this already have a time clock on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not quite. As it stands now when the ball goes into touch the time clock continues and the players have 30 secs to pack a scrum.

They'll tweak it, they can't help themselves...
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

If they want to see more play, cut down on the wrestle. Call held earlier so the storm can't grapple away and the sharks aren't so far offside

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: February 22, 2018, 8:23 am If they want to see more play, cut down on the wrestle. Call held earlier so the storm can't grapple away and the sharks aren't so far offside

Won't happen dub...

The Storm are running the game.

Well..they've changed it forever.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fox sports are reporting the Broncos have approached Paul Green to take over from sidemouth when the time comes...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

dubby wrote:If they want to see more play, cut down on the wrestle. Call held earlier so the storm can't grapple away and the sharks aren't so far offside

Now that takes the lead as the common sense post of the year.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

BJ wrote:
dubby wrote:If they want to see more play, cut down on the wrestle. Call held earlier so the storm can't grapple away and the sharks aren't so far offside

Well, until BJ Mole tweets it.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

dubby wrote:
BJ wrote:

Well, until BJ Mole tweets it.....

BJ Mole will follow tradition and wait about 6 hours before claiming your post for himself.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New NRL radio rights deal

More fans will be able to listen to live rugby league than ever before following the confirmation of a new five-year radio rights deal. As part of the new rights deal:

Southern Cross Austereo (via the Triple M network) and Crocmedia will broadcast Thursday nights, Friday nights (6pm), Saturday (3pm) and Sunday afternoons (4.10pm);

Macquarie Media, via its network of stations including 2GB and 4BC, will broadcast Friday nights (7.50pm), Saturdays (5.30pm and 7.30pm), and Sundays (2pm);

The ABC have an in-principle agreement to broadcast all NRL matches.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/27/new ... ghts-deal/
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Nine News reporting Steve Folkes has passed away, heart attack while exercising
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Aged 59, that's ****
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL to officially launch 2018 Telstra Premiership

All 16 NRL clubs are set to converge on The Rocks for the 2018 NRL season launch on Thursday, March 1.

The event that officially kicks off the NRL season each year will have plenty of entertainment for fans scheduled in what promises to be an exciting day at First Fleet Park.

Fans are encouraged to show their colours and wear their club apparel and merchandise at the event which will feature captains and star players from each of the 16 clubs.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/27/nrl ... emiership/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'This is How We League': Greenberg, Smith launch 2018 season

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has officially launched the 2018 Telstra Premiership with the new "This is How We League" campaign, a celebration of what the game stands for and represents to those that hold it dearest.

Read more and video of the launch: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/01/thi ... 18-season/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Does anyone have any idea what "This is how we league" is supposed to mean? What the commercial is about?

Any sign of Canberra or the Raiders in the commercial? I couldn't see any.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/01/thi ... -nrl-2018/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I obviously blinked. There were a pair of Raiders mini boots hanging from a rear vision mirror.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

It’s about what the game stands for, so I’d imagine this is the catch cry players will scream as they’re beating up their wives, snorting coke and tapping dogs

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:It’s about what the game stands for, so I’d imagine this is the catch cry players will scream as they’re beating up their wives, snorting coke and tapping dogs

And holding people hostage whilst on holiday in the US

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's difficult to understand why Lodge is being allowed to play by the NRL, after seeing that CCTV vision of his incident.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:It's difficult to understand why Lodge is being allowed to play by the NRL, after seeing that CCTV vision of his incident.
He’s a Bronco isn’t he? What’s so difficult to understand?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

His father is/was a senior police officer. Must have pulled some strings to keep him out of jail.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Supergrub Gallen initially said Lodge should be forgiven, he's done his time.

Then changed his mind saying he hadn't read what Lodge had been up to.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What makes Gallen think he's in any position to make any pronouncements on it whatsoever?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's like asking Cam Smith a question about the salary cap, hey GE?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL found the Storm players did not know the Storm was breaking the cap. Indeed, it appears the documents actually guarantee managers and players that all payments were compliant with the cap and all documents would be lodged with the NRL. As it turned out, the side letters (associated with guarantees in relation to marquee player deals) were not, and were the mechanism the Storm used to break the cap.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Hey..

Greg Inglis did say he had no idea who put the speedboat in his garage.

He lifted the roller door one morning and BAM...speedboat !!!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:What makes Gallen think he's in any position to make any pronouncements on it whatsoever?
dawn fraser unavailable

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think the 'go to' for comments these days is Margaret Court.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »