Rugby League 2018

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2018

Post by greeneyed »

Statement on back-ended contracts

The NRL will tighten the rules relating to back-ended contracts in a bid to prevent the salary cap problems which have been created at some clubs in recent years.

CEO Todd Greenberg said the NRL would always support clubs offering higher value contracts to players as their careers developed.

But he said club CEOs today agreed that restrictions were needed to stop back-ended contracts.

The Salary Cap Auditor will finalise a model so that any changes can be in place for the new year.

Mr Greenberg said back-ended contracts might help a club in the early years of a player's contract, but they could severely impact that same club's salary cap in the latter years.

"These deals can also give clubs an unfair salary cap advantage in the early years of a contract," he said.

The Salary Cap Auditor will draw up new guidelines restricting how much a player's payment can rise from one season to the next in their contract.

Mr Greenberg said approval would still be given for contracts where a rising star was offered a significant lift in their playing fee.

"We are not going to stop any player receiving what they are worth on the open market," Mr Greenberg said.

"But we have to stop clubs pushing payments to later years to reduce salary cap pressure in the short term.

"Our salary cap keeps the competition close and we want to ensure no club gets into salary cap problems because they have back-ended contracts."

The meeting of Club CEOs also decided to set up a working party to look at the feasibility of a trade window for players. The review will also consider the need for regulations covering coaching contracts.

Mr Greenberg said any changes will ultimately go to the Commission for approval.

NRL media release

NRL changes rules to restrict back-ended contracts: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/14/nrl ... contracts/

Video: Greenberg open to player trade windows: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/14/gre ... e-windows/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I honestly thought this had happened a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm still waiting on the transparency for TPAs promised an age ago.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Refereeing restructure to promote more entertaining football

NRL referees boss Bernard Sutton will report directly to the game's new head of elite football operations Graham Annesley in a move aimed at ensuring there is a greater emphasis on free flowing and entertaining football.

The change is effectively a return to the previous structure in place until this year when Tony Archer was promoted to the role of NRL national manager of referees, with Sutton under him.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/14/ref ... -football/
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

More entertaining football?

What a joke. Raiders played the most entertaining football of any team over the last 3 seasons and the referees went out of their way to reward wrestling, offside and attacking block plays instead.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: November 14, 2018, 5:14 pm More entertaining football?

What a joke. Raiders played the most entertaining football of any team over the last 3 seasons and the referees went out of their way to reward wrestling, offside and attacking block plays instead.
Indeed.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Rugby League 2018

Post by Sid »

I read ‘free flowing football’ as ‘putting the whistle away’ which leads to the stifling issues BJ has mentioned ^

More wrestle, slower ptb’s and 7m instead of 10m creates dull footy
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Sid wrote:I read ‘free flowing football’ as ‘putting the whistle away’ which leads to the stifling issues BJ has mentioned ^

More wrestle, slower ptb’s and 7m instead of 10m creates dull footy
Exactly right. The NRL should learn to think for themselves instead of doing whatever channel nine says they should.

On the backloading/frontloading, I fully expect the NRL to do something dumb like enforce it this year and heavily penalise the Raiders for frontloading. It’s the kind of thing they do.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Thank **** Archer got the spear, he's overseen one of the worse refereeing periods in the history of the game
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Agreed, take all the Suttons with him!!!*

*except Ryan

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I saw one of our leading Referees wearing a Bulldogs number 6 jersey at a Westfield shopping centre.

It was a classic case of Sutton dressed up as Lamb.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ha!

Although it’s not uncommon to see refs in player jerseys... like the Storm 9 jersey for example...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:Ha!

Although it’s not uncommon to see refs in player jerseys... like the Storm 9 jersey for example...
Ha ha. You just topped my call.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How dare you speak of Cam that way! You'll have a bunch of knuckledraggers here frothing at the nostrils in no time.

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

gergreg wrote:

How dare you speak of Cam that way! You'll have a bunch of knuckledraggers here frothing at the nostrils in no time.

GE?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ wrote: November 15, 2018, 10:34 am I saw one of our leading Referees wearing a Bulldogs number 6 jersey at a Westfield shopping centre.

Thats about as bad a joke as I've seen on this forum all year. :thumbsdown
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:
BJ wrote: November 15, 2018, 10:34 am I saw one of our leading Referees wearing a Bulldogs number 6 jersey at a Westfield shopping centre.

Thats about as bad a joke as I've seen on this forum all year. :thumbsdown
I’m don’t know. I think I’ve made worse.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL to keep interchange rule at eight per team in 2019

The number of interchanges is set to remain at eight per team next season after the NRL Competition Committee reviewed data on the rule's impact since it was last reduced for the 2016 season.

Dr Kevin Norton, a professor in exercise science at the University of South Australia, presented a range of data from the past three seasons to demonstrate how the reduction from 10 to eight interchanges had affected the game.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/16/nrl ... m-in-2019/

Given how small we are going to be, I was hoping for six.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ricky, the games greatest thinker, has been out thunk by the NRL here.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL coaches set to back official trade periods

A meeting of NRL coaches next week is expected to back the introduction of up to three annual player transfer windows. It is understood that the NRL is considering limiting player movement to the following trade periods:

End of season – main transfer window, between grand final day and November 1, the official start date for NRL contracts;
Mid-season – this would possibly coincide with the stand-alone representative round; and
Pre-season or early season – either just before Round 1 or after Round 5 or 6.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/19/why ... e-periods/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARL Commission backs NSWRL merger with CRL

The NSW Rugby League and Country Rugby League (CRL) today received support from the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) for their joint vision of a merger that would see Rugby League in NSW governed by one body for the first time in more than 80 years.

A delegation of NSWRL and CRL executives, including NSWRL Chairman Dr George Peponis OAM and Chief Executive David Trodden, together with the CRL Chairman John Anderson and Chief Executive Terry Quinn, presented a proposed plan to the ARLC, which would see both organisations work towards merging into a single entity by 1 November 2020.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/28/arl ... -with-crl/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

International Nines coming to new Western Sydney Stadium

The success of the former NRL Auckland Nines competition for clubs has sewn the seeds for the Downer World Cup 9s tournament to be played in the new Western Sydney Stadium at Parramatta next October.

Twelve men's and four women's international teams will play 28 matches, which will all be broadcast live by Fox Sports.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/30/int ... y-stadium/
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The nines competition is a leveler. This would be a good chance for the teams that are not Australia to have more success.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think it would be awesome to have on GF week or the public holiday Monday following the GF. I think it would create a real buzz in Sydney, but I can understand them wanting it as a standalone.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2018 Top Five Players and Team of the Year named in Rugby League Annual

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has missed being named in the 2018 Team of the Year, but he was named in Middleton’s top five players of the year, along with Tedesco, Damien Cook, Latrell Mitchell and Valentine Holmes.

2018 Team of the Year

Fullback: James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters)

Wingers: Valentine Holmes (Cronulla), Tom Trbojevic (Manly)

Centres: Latrell Mitchell (Sydney Roosters), Joseph Manu (Sydney Roosters)

Five-eighth: Cameron Munster (Melbourne)

Halfback: Adam Reynolds (South Sydney)

Props: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters), Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Melbourne)

Hooker: Damien Cook (South Sydney)

Second-rowers: Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra), Felise Kaufusi (Melbourne)

Lock: Jason Taumalolo (North Queensland)

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e26c061aac
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Australian Rugby League Commission announce footprint study

The ARL Commission has asked the NRL to conduct a full analysis of what the future footprint of the game should look like.

Commission Chairman Peter Beattie said there had been widespread discussion over many years on the need for expansion, but no professional analysis.

He said it was crucial that, before any decision was made on the future footprint of the game, the Commission had all the facts, including:

What is the optimal footprint for Rugby League in the Australasia and Pacific region
Whether additional teams would dilute the standard of the Premiership
The impact of expansion – or relocating teams - on participation numbers
The financial cost of including additional teams in the competition
Whether broadcasters support an expanded competition.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said significant resources would be put into the review, with the aim of having it completed within 12 months.

"It is easy to say we need to put new teams into places like Brisbane, New Zealand and Perth, but we first need to analyse the market and conduct a full business case," he said.

Updates were provided at today's meeting of Club Chairs and CEO's on:

The game's participation strategy
Financial overview
Third Party Agreements
Digital performance
Football highlights
Outlook for 2019

Mr Beattie said 2018 had been a highly successful year with NRL becoming the most watched sport in Australia.

"Our focus now switches to 2019 and, with a range of initiatives including Magic Round and our first Origin game in Perth, we believe we are set for a very special year," he said.

NRL media release

NRL footprint on agenda as Commission looks to broaden horizon: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/13/nrl ... n-horizon/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So what the hell has the NRL Commission been doing for the past 6 years? I thought their objective was to improve the structures in the game and provide a strategy for the game going forward?

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Education is not enough, only punishment can fix this violent epidemic

I would rather eat glass than watch another abuse scandal of any nature unfold in the NRL. I would rather attend every single hospital visit or community program and write a million words on it. But here we are, yet again, reporting on more horrific allegations — and it makes me sick.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 686ab09006

A really good article on the spate of off field violence. I think the NRL has to come down like a ton of bricks on these guys if convicted. I'd go as far as to ban Walker and Hayne for life given their records.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2019 season rule amendments

The NRL today announced changes to the rules which will come into effect from the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Head of Football – Elite Competitions, Graham Annesley said the changes were aimed at increasing "ball in play" time and improving player safety.

The new rules for 2019 will include:

• A reduction of the scrum clock – reducing from 35 to 30 seconds

• A reduction of the drop-out clock – reducing from 30 to 25 seconds

• An increase to dangerous contact neck or head charges – with Grade 2 increasing to 300 points and Grade 3 increasing to 500 points (a Grade 1 charge will remain at 100 points)

• Any player sent to the sin bin or sent off will be required to run from the field of play, taking the most direct route to the dressing room. Failure to do so may lead to Clubs being breached and fined under NRL Rules and/or offending players may be charged with Contrary Conduct under the NRL Judiciary Code

• Allowing the Judiciary Panel to find a player guilty of an alternative charge when charged with a Shoulder Charge (e.g. Dangerous Contact)

Mr Annesley also confirmed that no change would be made to the number of interchange players for season 2019.

But he said further assessment will be conducted throughout the first half of next season, before a decision is made on any future reductions for 2020 onwards.

Mr Annesley said the amendments were designed to reduce the amount of stoppage time in games, increase the time the ball is in play and simplify operational practices and procedures.

The increased penalties for dangerous contact to neck and head follows a rise in the number of crusher tackles last season.

"There is clearly an unacceptable risk of injury from these tackles and we believe we need to have an adequate deterrent in place to improve player safety," Mr Annesley said.

"We have a world-class competition, with the 2018 season the closest in more than a decade," Mr Annesley said.

"But we can always improve and our aim with these rule amendments is to continue to deliver exciting and engaging matches for players, fans, broadcasters and all our stakeholders."

NRL media release
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Closest competition in a decade my ****. The 8 was decided by the middle of the season.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:Closest competition in a decade my ****. The 8 was decided by the middle of the season.

Spot on. NRL is kidding themselves. You can’t claim you have a close competition when either Storm and/or Roosters have played in almost every grand final for the last two decades.