2017 NRL Finals Wk 2: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2017 NRL Finals Wk 2: Teams and Game Day

Post by Northern Raider »

Cowboys limped, staggered and crawled into the top 8. Now they are 1 win away from a GF berth. Unbelievable.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

80th min TRY EELS to Michael Jennings, after a Cowboys error. Converted.

FULL TIME

North Queensland Cowboys 24
Parramatta Eels 16
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Feldt made a meal of that .

Give the kick to Tim Mannah so he can have an excuse to retire
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Well the nrl are in for an embarrassing crowd next weekend. Roosters vs cowboys at Allianz will be lucky to attract 20,000.

Rabs just mentioned that we have the same preliminary finalists as 2015.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

yeh raiders wrote:Feldt made a meal of that .

Give the kick to Tim Mannah so he can have an excuse to retire
:lol: he's been averaging about 29 minutes this year. I think brad Arthur is phasing him out
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I'm so glad Parra are out, I can't stand them and would find it hard to have the Raiders with the longest premiership drought in the NRL.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Big Jack
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

Post by Big Jack »

Northern Raider wrote:Cowboys limped, staggered and crawled into the top 8. Now they are 1 win away from a GF berth. Unbelievable.
I really couldn't understand why Parramatta was such a hit favourite in this one - I think it was more to do with Sydney media hype for one of their own than the actual players on the field. Cows might have been without JT and Matt Scott but they still had Lolo, Morgan, Cooper, Granville, Coote, etc on the field, along with a whole lot of experienced players from the 2015 GF. Semi is incredible, Jennings and Norman are quality, but Parra had plenty of potatoes out there tonight.
That all said, I expect the Rooters to beat the Cows next week
Last edited by Big Jack on September 16, 2017, 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Cows were so strong. Good high intensity semi final footy. Gutsy. experienced. Thats culture. That's why we failed.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I don't know that the roosters are a shoe in mate.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Big Jack
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

Post by Big Jack »

Poor Fenno - he's just been handed a XXXX
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That was who Mitchell Moses is and always will be
Absolute pretender

Eat ****, Parra
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote:That was who Mitchell Moses is and always will be
Absolute pretender

Eat ****, Parra
Yet again he's exposed as a fraud. Occasionally he looks brilliant with the football and makes everybody believe he's a star. But this only happens in the right circumstances. Downhill runner, flat track bully, call it what you like. He simply doesn't deliver in the tough situations.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

So happy I was right all along about Parramatta. The media attention they gathered was absolutely ridiculous. They had a ridiculously soft draw and besides the one performance against Melbourne last week never looked particularly good IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

I'd like Ricky to sit down with Austin and Sezer and show them Morgan's second half on endless repeat the entire offseason
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I've missed the finals series so far. Just looking at the highlights package on Bigpond. That was a massive balls up by the refs stopping play in the Brisbane v Panthers game after the Oates-Milford collision. Panthers were every chance to score there. Sure stop play once a tackle is enacted but until then it's play on.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Was a certain try.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

gangrenous wrote:That kind of milking is Bull. Ref should have taken it off parramatta
If the opposition has a player that isn't quick or good enough to get back onside why not take the opportunity to get a penalty ?

I agree though I hate the milking that goes on and think it's a bad look for the game in these instances - it's a cheap shot to get a penalty and a leg up the field/repeat set.

But there really isn't an alternative, you can't have offside players interfering with the play no matter how, if no penalty coaches will exploit it more than what we see the hookers currently doing and then we get even more inconsistent interpretations - at least the refs are consistent in this area
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

Perfect example I thought in this game of the refs "managing" a game and what frustrates fans.

In the 1st half when Cowboys lost the ball in the ruck. Play continued from the ruck before knock on called, then another 3-4secs and they changed it to a strip.

Now I don't know if it was a strip or not as they didn't show a close up replay, but after the drop it was a good 7-8 secs before they called it. If it's a penalty the whistle goes straight away.

To me they realised they had a lost ball and had to remember what the penalty count was and whose turn it was to get a little possession before making a decision - that's the crap I hate.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That or the lead official got a late call/or didn't hear the call on the strip

Either or I guess
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They should just say... milking... and give a turn over to the opposition. It'd soon stop.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Passing into a player who can't disappear **** me.. it's not a penalty, they aren't playing at the ball

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
scotchberry
Brett Mullins

Post by scotchberry »

I don't like the look it does for the game but playing at it or not if the ball hits an opposing player who is offside it either has to be called a penalty or an accidental offside which results in a scrum feed to the attacking team and another set of 6.

Why should an attacking team be disadvantaged because an opposition player hasn't been good enough to get back onside ?

Milking or not, it's the defensive players responsibility to be onside and I can't see how you can rule against the team who is attacking
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I think the Super League were playing with a rule this year that for it to be a penalty you have to be genuinely attempting to pass the ball. If you're obviously throwing it at the offside player it's a penalty the other way.

Not perfect since it can sometimes be difficult to tell if it's on purpose, but still better than what we have in the NRL

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The one last night the pass was forward and they still got the penalty.. now that's a joke

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote:The one last night the pass was forward and they still got the penalty.. now that's a joke

Absolutely. It was ridiculous!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't think the players even wan't to do it unless they are desperate. There are dozens of opportunities every game but you rarely see it done.