Multiple NRL clubs under investigation for cap cheating

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Multiple NRL clubs under investigation for cap cheating

Post by BJ »

Raider Azz wrote:There's no way clubs like the Broncos and Roosters aren't cheating the cap. I have no doubt

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
I don't think they are cheating the salary cap, but unfortunately they are cheating the intention of the third party payments system.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ wrote:
Raider Azz wrote:There's no way clubs like the Broncos and Roosters aren't cheating the cap. I have no doubt

I don't think they are cheating the salary cap, but unfortunately they are cheating the intention of the third party payments system.
They are taking advantage of the crap situation with 3rd party deals. Best way to describe it is cheating within the rules.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manly Sea Eagles refuse to hand over laptops to NRL investigators

Despite promises to "cooperate fully" with NRL investigators, the Manly Sea Eagles are refusing to hand over laptops to the league's salary cap auditors.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... xfzrv.html

Can't the NRL strip points if they refuse to comply.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

They just put out a statement in which, essentially they say they are complying with the NRL, but they are very careful to avoid outright denying that they haven't handed over the laptops

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

What's the use of getting laptops. Everything is on the cloud now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The records will still be on the laptops... unless the contents are erased by now...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd think most of the good stuff is in email, which nearly always doesn't sit on the laptop. Even if it's documents there is a good chance they would be sitting on a cloud server these days and not on the local machine.

Either way they could've deleted anything incriminating by now. Two minutes on Google would tell them how to make sure even data forensics can't retrieve it.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
BJ wrote:

They are taking advantage of the crap situation with 3rd party deals. Best way to describe it is cheating within the rules.
Its not within the rules. There is a cap on third parties. Above that third parties are to be at arms length to the club and not conditional on playing with a certain club. For a club to organise a third party as part of the salary of a player to play at their club is illegal under the current rules.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Thats what happens but virtually impossible to police. Which is why I described it as I did. Its taking advantage of unenforceable rules

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.