2017 State of Origin III: Queensland V New South Wales

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
22%
Maroons 1-12
22%
Draw
11%
Blues 1-12
33%
Blues 13+
11%

Total votes: 9

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: 2017 State of Origin III: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by the bone »

gangrenous wrote:
the bone wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:Thanks NSW again for the great series. I thought it was the best NSW side picked in some time - other than Pearce and Hayne of course.
Turns out they choked again. Truly woeful performance by NSW. Fifita is a myth. Pearce simply cannot be picked again surely.

The Blues really believed their own hype it seems. I'll leave the usual interstate jokes to the other super clever people in this thread. Usually to be found on the loosing side it seems. Enjoy the jokes it's all you've got for another year.
Hayne is one of the only true state of origin players NSW have. Yes, he **** up in game two. Smith blew a try in tonight's game. The hate that hayne receives is proof that tall poppy syndrome is still alive and well
What rubbish. He looked off the pace pretty much the whole series. That's what happens when you pick on name, not form.
Agree to disagree. I thought he looked out of position in defence, not off the pace.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

the bone wrote:Is it too early for a 2018 team list?
1. Tedesco
2. Mansour
3. Bird
4. Hayne
5. Trb
6. Moylan
7. Cleary
8. Vaughan
9. Peats
10. Fifita
11. Cordner
12. Frizell
13. Jackson
14. Klemmer
15. Trb
16. Graham
17. ?

Out: fergo, Dugan, Morris, maloney, pearce, woods
In: mansour, Trb, moylan, cleary, Vaughan, bench utility

I'm pretty happy with the forwards excluding woods. Also I wouldn't mind dropping Jackson, starting graham and bringing a second rower onto the bench. Not sure who though. Also don't know who the bench utility should be.

The halves and outside backs need an overhaul.
I like it, but if James Roberts can go 12 months without issue I find a spot for him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I shall make this one post, and I know NSW fans want me to be silenced. And I have been silent this whole series, because of that. But this Queenslander shall not be silenced on this occasion.

It was magnificent Queensland spirit that won this series! NSW doesn't understand Origin, but those magnificent Queensland players do! 11 out of 12!

QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!
QUEENSLANDER!

It was a win for Johnathan Thurston. It was a win for the ages. It was a win for Queensland spirit. Magnificent.
You've been far too quit this series GE. Considering the way NSW fans carry on we need some balance to the thread.
I was told I should keep quiet and not express my views on Origin. So I have.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:Munster "happy to get the two points tonight" haha - not the sharpest tool in the shed but geez he'd look good in green!
He got dux of his highschool. He is from Rocky though.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

NSW must pick Cleary and stick with him.

1. Teddy
2. Mansour
3. Croker
4. Dugan/Bird
5. Turbo
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Vaughan
9. Peats
10. Paulo
11. Cordner
12. Graham
13. Frizzell

14. Bird
15. J Trjbovic
16. Klemmer
17. Debelin
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If he kept improving Cotric might be worth a punt. His game is built for Origin.
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

I'm annoyed at how decent a bloke Boyd Cordner seems. It was a lot more fun to beat Paul Gallen.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

What a victory.

Good to see those "no names" for QLD coming through ;)

For those NSW fans, you only have to look at the dominance in the juniors to sense a shift in the next 5-10 years. Surely, Pearce will be gone by then?
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Question wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Question wrote:I don't think I have ever seen a greater concentration of " special looking people" than what I witnessed tonite.
I know what you mean. The close ups of the Queensland fans in the stands were extraordinary.
Is that norm up there Dr?? It's like they rounded up extras from one flew over the cuckoos nest.
Sadly yes. It's quite frightening.
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Ryan James would make a good prop for NSW - certainly bring more aggression that Woods
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bunnings must have sold out of 'drawing boards' over the past decade. The sad part is every **** series defeat NSW say they are going to change things up and then they pick the same 'core' of failures every single year. Mitchell Pearce was labelled 'never to play origin again' a few years back but keeps getting selected. Woods is a myth. You have how many fullbacks in the side. Players picked on reputation or name instead of form, then others picked on form (inconsistent selection policies). Dud coach. Stupid NSW media printing ridiculous articles to inspire the QLD side, players sooking about getting sledged after a loss and making claims of retribution they never deliver. Their whole attitude is very similar to what the Raiders are going through now. Seeing all these same errors and lack of understanding year after year is getting a little boring for NSW fans.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

Northern Raider wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:
Makaveli wrote:So who the **** the man of the match?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
The announced it first before the speeches. Like every year.
Dane GaGai
Gagai award was for player of the series.

I did think that after I posted and went to bed. Couldn't be stuffed getting up to correct myself there...
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

It was of course Cameron Smith, leader of men, destroyer of Blues etc etc.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hard to believe NSW had the series all but won at half time of game two...and then this! :lol:
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

ALX22 wrote:

For those NSW fans, you only have to look at the dominance in the juniors to sense a shift in the next 5-10 years. Surely, Pearce will be gone by then?
NSW have dominated the juniors for a long time unfortunately just hasn't carried over.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Any chance NSW had in that game was thrown out the window when Wade Graham gave away that bonehead penalty.

What a stupid **** play, totally turning the momentum.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:
Makaveli wrote:So who the **** the man of the match?

The announced it first before the speeches. Like every year.
Dane GaGai
Gagai award was for player of the series.

I did think that after I posted and went to bed. Couldn't be stuffed getting up to correct myself there...
So like every year, except this year

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Half baked effort, too many errors, dumb football, lack of direction from the halves....how many NSW fans felt like they were watching another Raiders game?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Pete Cash wrote:Cameron Smith is probably the best player I have ever seen. Legendary players can play games where they just turn back the clock and he really did it tonight. Especially in the first half.

Obviously he is a massive cheat but I really do feel like I will be sad when he retires. Even as a NSW supporter. It will be sad to see such a good player retire. He looks like he has years left in the legs though
It's not even close
He's the GOAT.

The most important position on the field has shifted from halfback to hooker and no one I've seen has played that role better than him

Not Stuart, not Johns, not JT
Cam smith is actually a joy to watch. He's incredible
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Joy to watch ... he's like an explosive zit on a supermodel. Once you spot it's ugliness, you just can't unsee it. Every ruck he's manipulating the player on the ground, 3rd or 4th man in, twisting this, holding onto that.

To my surprise, he actually got penalized for it once last night!
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Pigman wrote:
Pete Cash wrote:Cameron Smith is probably the best player I have ever seen. Legendary players can play games where they just turn back the clock and he really did it tonight. Especially in the first half.

Obviously he is a massive cheat but I really do feel like I will be sad when he retires. Even as a NSW supporter. It will be sad to see such a good player retire. He looks like he has years left in the legs though
It's not even close
He's the GOAT.

The most important position on the field has shifted from halfback to hooker and no one I've seen has played that role better than him

I mean, he basically played half back for most of that game. More often than not he was in first or second receiver.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

the bone wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
the bone wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:Thanks NSW again for the great series. I thought it was the best NSW side picked in some time - other than Pearce and Hayne of course.
Turns out they choked again. Truly woeful performance by NSW. Fifita is a myth. Pearce simply cannot be picked again surely.

The Blues really believed their own hype it seems. I'll leave the usual interstate jokes to the other super clever people in this thread. Usually to be found on the loosing side it seems. Enjoy the jokes it's all you've got for another year.
Hayne is one of the only true state of origin players NSW have. Yes, he **** up in game two. Smith blew a try in tonight's game. The hate that hayne receives is proof that tall poppy syndrome is still alive and well
What rubbish. He looked off the pace pretty much the whole series. That's what happens when you pick on name, not form.
Agree to disagree. I thought he looked out of position in defence, not off the pace.
Hayne was **** garbage all series. He cost NSW game 2 with his selfishness.
I tried to suggest at the start of the series that Hayne shouldn't be picked because his form hadn't warranted it but was shut down pretty quickly by a few here so I'm not surprised to see people try and defend him :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

yeh raiders wrote:Joy to watch ... he's like an explosive zit on a supermodel. Once you spot it's ugliness, you just can't unsee it. Every ruck he's manipulating the player on the ground, 3rd or 4th man in, twisting this, holding onto that.

To my surprise, he actually got penalized for it once last night!
Post speaks volumes about your grasp on the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raider Azz wrote:
Pigman wrote:

It's not even close
He's the GOAT.

I mean, he basically played half back for most of that game. More often than not he was in first or second receiver.
Very true. Often saw the Qld outside backs intentionally slotting in to dummy half when the ball went wider. Its was clearly a tactic to relieve pressure on a debutant half in Munster. Worked perfectly as Smith took control of the middle and allowed Munster to selectively impose himself on the game.
Last edited by Northern Raider on July 13, 2017, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

DJ89 wrote:Any chance NSW had in that game was thrown out the window when Wade Graham gave away that bonehead penalty.

Really? NSW didn't have their heads screwed on from the start.

Woods, Fifita and Pearce should be stamped 'never again' after this series. None of them have the mental toughness to play at this level.

The upside to NSW stinking it up is the Raiders players now have an opportunity over the rest of this season and next season to put themselves back in the frame. IMO only Jack Bird, Turbo, Cordner, Teddy, Klemmer and Frizzel did enough across the series to pencil themselves in for game I next year.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Haha yeah he did actually play a lot of halfback

How about that kick from Cronk?
Outrageous haha
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Green eyed Mick wrote:
DJ89 wrote:Any chance NSW had in that game was thrown out the window when Wade Graham gave away that bonehead penalty.

Woods, Fifita and Pearce should be stamped 'never again' after this series. None of them have the mental toughness to play at this level.

The upside to NSW stinking it up is the Raiders players now have an opportunity over the rest of this season and next season to put themselves back in the frame. IMO only Jack Bird, Turbo, Cordner, Teddy, Klemmer and Frizzel did enough across the series to pencil themselves in for game I next year.
Agree that NSW had it lost well before Graham's bonehead penalty.

Also agree with Woods and Pearce having their cards stamped. Not so Fifita. He's far and away the most dangerous prop in the game and NSW can't afford to leave him out. Its a matter of getting his head in the right space for the game. He's the Joey Leilua of props.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Raider Azz wrote:
the bone wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
the bone wrote:

Hayne was **** garbage all series. He cost NSW game 2 with his selfishness.
I tried to suggest at the start of the series that Hayne shouldn't be picked because his form hadn't warranted it but was shut down pretty quickly by a few here so I'm not surprised to see people try and defend him :lol:
He wasn't garbage. You obviously have an agenda against him. Good for you
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Northern Raider wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Agree that NSW had it lost well before Graham's bonehead penalty.

Also agree with Woods and Pearce having their cards stamped. Not so Fifita. He's far and away the most dangerous prop in the game and NSW can't afford to leave him out. Its a matter of getting his head in the right space for the game. He's the Joey Leilua of props.
Therein lies the problem though. He is 28 years old and has been playing this kind of football his entire career. Waiting for Fifita to play consistent football is like waiting for Pearce to become a SOO player. It's never going to happen, at least not consistently and because origin is a 3 game series consistency is more important than anything else.

That's the key to QLD's success. They are consistent. The gap between their best and their worst as a team and individuals is smaller than it is for NSW.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

the bone wrote: He wasn't garbage. You obviously have an agenda against him. Good for you
He was garbage. EDIT
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote:
the bone wrote:Is it too early for a 2018 team list?
1. Tedesco
2. Mansour
3. Bird
4. Hayne
5. Trb
6. Moylan
7. Cleary
8. Vaughan
9. Peats
10. Fifita
11. Cordner
12. Frizell
13. Jackson
14. Klemmer
15. Trb
16. Graham
17. ?

Out: fergo, Dugan, Morris, maloney, pearce, woods
In: mansour, Trb, moylan, cleary, Vaughan, bench utility

I'm pretty happy with the forwards excluding woods. Also I wouldn't mind dropping Jackson, starting graham and bringing a second rower onto the bench. Not sure who though. Also don't know who the bench utility should be.

The halves and outside backs need an overhaul.
I like it, but if James Roberts can go 12 months without issue I find a spot for him.
Manchild wrote:NSW must pick Cleary and stick with him.

1. Teddy
2. Mansour
3. Croker
4. Dugan/Bird
5. Turbo
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Vaughan
9. Peats
10. Paulo
11. Cordner
12. Graham
13. Frizzell

14. Bird
15. J Trjbovic
16. Klemmer
17. Debelin
I like where these are headed chaps. However, until Smith and Cronk, and perhaps to a lesser extent Slater and/or Boyd, join JT in SOO retirement, NSW are going to struggle.

They may have stuck with the same 17, but it was a flawed 17.

Backs:
Teddy and Maloney are the only 2 I agree with. Morris was an injury fill in player who held his spot un an unchanged 17, and while he is still a damn good winger, there are better options now. I don't lay any blame with him and I'm ok with his selection, even if we had options. Wingers don't win you games, but they can lose them, and his experience was valuable. I suspect he wont be there next yr.

He probably isn't enemy #1 this yr, BUT, I said it before this series, and Ill say it again. I don't care if Mitch Pearce is the form halfback, I don't care if he looks every bit a Daly M winner, he should have a permanent line through his name. Find an alternative! Right now Id say its clearly Cleary. No other NSW halfbacks controls or dominates a game like both these 2 do, and now 1 is black listed.

Dugan isn't a centre. He isn't a good FB either these days. Centre is where he will play because he cant fit the modern mould. He could have slotted onto a wing IMO, as broken play ball running, or support player is all he is good for. Should have been Birds spot from Game 1.

Fergie has ZERO tries in what, 8 or 9 games?!? He might have the right body type, BUT, its not translating. Tommy Turbo and Mansour being injured for Game 1 was a real pest!

Hayne was picked on name alone. That proved a master stroke now didn't it?!?! Roberts probably deserved his shot, but Croker would have bled Blue.

Forwards:
Cordner is a top 3 backrower, Im very happy he is there, even if he was underdone last night. Klemmer does exactly what's asked of him, go forward with aggression. Im also glad Jake Turbo got a run and excelled. Peats tackled his little heart out, but this is another spot where NSW options are limited. For me, it was him or McInnes, but I think they got it right.

Frizell was one of our best last yr, but he wasn't the same player this yr. Barely noticed him in all 3 games - though he did come up with a couple of plays that lead to points. As a minimum, Id reverse him and Graham. Graham offered way more in all 3 games. Use Friz for some impact. These guys Id happily keep, though I can see Angus Crichton pushing for a serious claim next yr.

Jackson may have won the Freddie Fittler medal last yr, but he isn't any good. He had 20mins of good footy in 3 games. While named on the edge, he played lock. This should have been De Belin's spot from Game 1.

Woods... he might play big mins, but has zero aggression and zero impact, esp when he isn't offloading in traffic. Vaughan had this spot sown up after about the 1st month this yr.

Fifita, might have been MOTM in game 1. Like Fergie, might have the physical attributes to be the best in the game, BUT, is mentally broken. Would rather be grubby than good. You probably keep him on potential, but Id bench him and use him as an impact player. Paulo is probably the other prop who has been good enough to be selected, esp with Boyd not holding his form, but I cant find room for them.

Utility is the toughest spot TBH. I'm not a fan of the 'running utility', or the 'extra 5/8' selection. It probably a little left field, but a guy like Cook would be great. He speed is electric, and I can see him having a similar impact to that of Craig Wing all those years ago. Can slot into the halves if required too. He has outplayed Wobbie all yr, but been stuck on the bench due to 'salary cap' selection for most of it. If Austin wasn't playing like ****, he could be a handy utility.

So, I guess Im lining them up like this:
1. Teddy
2. Mansour
3. Bird
4. Roberts/ Croker
5. Turbo
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Vaughan
9. Peats
10. J Trjbovic
11. Cordner
12. Graham
13. De Belin

14. Cook/ Austin/ ???
15. Fifita
16. Klemmer
17. Frizzell/ Crichton
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Pigman wrote:Haha yeah he did actually play a lot of halfback

How about that kick from Cronk?
Outrageous haha
Yeah that play was ridiculous. The audacity to not only kick a ball like that but to have it hit bang on target, and make it look as easy as he did. Ludicrous stuff
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Northern Raider wrote:Half baked effort, too many errors, dumb football, lack of direction from the halves....how many NSW fans felt like they were watching another Raiders game?
Just looking and listening to Andrew Johns post match summed up exactly how I feel after each game this season.

He was absolutely gutted and furious at the same time
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

NSW loss in game three was the result of EXACTLY the same reasons the Raiders haven't won games this season.
- Poor Completions
- Poor Line Speed
- Poor Kick Pressure
Pearce didn't do enough for mine, but barring a better option will go round again i think. He couldn't find grass with his kicks, but he was getting thumped every time his boot struck the ball, and he was kicking to one of the best positional fullbacks to ever play the game.

I think its a cop out to single him out for the loss (or Hayne for that matter). We lost the game in the forwards, which was supposed to be the area where we had it over QLD.

QLD have the spine, organisation and combinations in to beat NSW. If NSW are going to beat QLD, it needed to be through the middle like in game 1. they were too soft. You can't expect Pearce to turn a game around on the back of that display from the middle third. He was one of NSW best in defence too which says a lot about how sh!te our forwards were. I'm not saying that he isn't bog average at SOO level, but who are our alternatives? Moylan maybe??? but then you're going into the game with 1 and a half five eights and no halfback.

And whoever is calling for Cleary to come into the side next season, you're setting yourself up for a repeat of the Pearce debacle. Brought in too young against a far superior side in all their pomp and killing his confidence before he started.

I don't think it was a bad NSW side this series, i think its a bad attitude... It was QLD vs Raiders last night.
I found a moon rock in my nose....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

scotchberry wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Half baked effort, too many errors, dumb football, lack of direction from the halves....how many NSW fans felt like they were watching another Raiders game?
Just looking and listening to Andrew Johns post match summed up exactly how I feel after each game this season.

He was absolutely gutted and furious at the same time
Just like us Raiders fans you think he'd be used to it by now