2017 State of Origin II: New South Wales V Queensland

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
22%
Blues 1-12
33%
Draw
No votes
Maroons 1-12
22%
Maroons 13+
22%

Total votes: 9

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: 2017 State of Origin II: New South Wales V Queensland

Post by Northern Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Head on footage was inconclusive. No way could you tell if his heel was down or not. What we see on TV is not what the bunker is looking at. They have multiple angles showing at one time. I'm quite amazed we haven't seen any of the other angles available. Could the debate once an for all.

The photo above doesn't prove anything as his heel isn't at its lowest point. Same as the freeze frame of the Hayne no-try that happened a century ago. You will be able to find any number of stills where their foot doesn't touch the line. You only need the one where it touches the line to show it was out.

FWIW the Hayne try his foot may have touched the line but at the time we had Benefit of the Doubt rule in place and the try should have stood. For the Gagai try you need sufficient evidence to overturn the decision. Just going on the head on shot you couldn't overturn the decision as you can't say if the heel was down.
I agree with this entirely. Main issue I had was with the strip calls.
One was a 50-50 call (Wade Graham). Argument both ways on that. Seen them let go more often than not this year.

The other one (Hayne on Gagai I think) looked like an obvious strip watching live. Replay showed Gagai had lost it before Hayne made any play at the ball. Refs got that one wrong. Not justifying the incorrect call but I can understand how they made the mistake.
There were 4 in total
What were the other 2?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Pigman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
the bone wrote:Queensland fans are the same. In fact sporting fans all around the world are the same. It's part of GEs unconscious bias. Get off your hypocritical high horse
I don't believe I've ever blamed an Origin loss on the referees, I've never seen Archer do it either.

GE perhaps, but we all know GE can be a little special at times in regards to the referees, the Raiders and Queensland.
Honest question, what did you think of those strip calls?

And fwiw, as you know, I'm a passionate Queenslander who bleeds red. But I'm keen to know how you saw them
I remember at least a few strip calls where I said "gosh, that was lucky, that's just poor ball control".

I also remember a blatant knock-back by Queensland in the first ten minutes getting called a knock-on. It goes both ways.

Suck it up, NSW. It's not always the ref's fault you lose, I'd be blaming Jarryd Hayne and his showboating a lot more than the two blokes with the whistle.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Slater being taken out by Maloney, barely touched him - penalty.
A number of times the blues were blocked - no penalty
Blatant QLD offside (as with every series) - no penalty
QLD loose carry's - automatic QLD penalty, no such thing as a lost ball
2 huge forward passes - play on QLD

No surprise NSW management are asking for new refs and no surprise Archer has told the refs to be more vigilant.

Suggesting NSW fans have nothing to whinge about is just ridiculous. It's not a one-off either, it happens all the time.

Thank **** Thurston is out of game 3 - one less fairy tale for the refs to assist in writing.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Hahaha I work around Queenslanders every day and after game one the amount of ref bashing and grub this and grub that was fantastic.

Hey guess what though, that's the same for either side that loses. I love these guys that think it's a strictly NSW thing.

Still a third game to go!

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Head on footage was inconclusive. No way could you tell if his heel was down or not. What we see on TV is not what the bunker is looking at. They have multiple angles showing at one time. I'm quite amazed we haven't seen any of the other angles available. Could the debate once an for all.

The photo above doesn't prove anything as his heel isn't at its lowest point. Same as the freeze frame of the Hayne no-try that happened a century ago. You will be able to find any number of stills where their foot doesn't touch the line. You only need the one where it touches the line to show it was out.

FWIW the Hayne try his foot may have touched the line but at the time we had Benefit of the Doubt rule in place and the try should have stood. For the Gagai try you need sufficient evidence to overturn the decision. Just going on the head on shot you couldn't overturn the decision as you can't say if the heel was down.
I agree with this entirely. Main issue I had was with the strip calls.
One was a 50-50 call (Wade Graham). Argument both ways on that. Seen them let go more often than not this year.

The other one (Hayne on Gagai I think) looked like an obvious strip watching live. Replay showed Gagai had lost it before Hayne made any play at the ball. Refs got that one wrong. Not justifying the incorrect call but I can understand how they made the mistake.
There were 4 in total
What were the other 2?
According to the NRL app, Maloney in the 4th, Peats in the 40th, Hayne in the 60th and the big one, the game decider, Graham in the 74th.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Pigman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
the bone wrote:Queensland fans are the same. In fact sporting fans all around the world are the same. It's part of GEs unconscious bias. Get off your hypocritical high horse
I don't believe I've ever blamed an Origin loss on the referees, I've never seen Archer do it either.

GE perhaps, but we all know GE can be a little special at times in regards to the referees, the Raiders and Queensland.
Honest question, what did you think of those strip calls?

And fwiw, as you know, I'm a passionate Queenslander who bleeds red. But I'm keen to know how you saw them
I remember at least a few strip calls where I said "gosh, that was lucky, that's just poor ball control".

I also remember a blatant knock-back by Queensland in the first ten minutes getting called a knock-on. It goes both ways.

Suck it up, NSW. It's not always the ref's fault you lose, I'd be blaming Jarryd Hayne and his showboating a lot more than the two blokes with the whistle.
Strips almost always go the way of the defending team unless blatant. Loose balls are almost always called knock ons. That's just the way it is. The strip call in the 74th minute was crucial. That goes NSW way, they win pure and simple.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: Main issue I had was with the strip calls.

There were 4 in total
What were the other 2?
According to the NRL app, Maloney in the 4th, Peats in the 40th, Hayne in the 60th and the big one, the game decider, Graham in the 74th.
..and you have an issue with all of them?

Maloney one he just got himself in a bad position. He was a bit unlucky in that regard but its a penalty any day of the week. If you spend time seething about them you will be a very angry league fan the rest of your life.

I don't really recall the Peats penalty but I do remember being amazed they didn't take the 2 with only 30 secs left in the half. Ultimately it had no impact on the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Yeah that first one was fair enough.

The second one Peats had his hand on Glasby's chest and upper arm. The ball was dislodged by Peats elbow when Glasby was put on his back. Glasby simply lost it. It may not have been a factor in the wash up but certainly made it clear that ball security was optional for Queensland.

The other thing that hasn't been bought up is that the last try came off a repeat set forced by an offside Slater. Live I thought that he was a mile offside, but it was only marginal, so I'll forgive them. Still I'm baffled why it wasn't checked given it was a try scoring opportunity.

Last edited by Dr Zaius on June 24, 2017, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Doc, dead set you're having a laugh mate let it go.
Ball security was optional for QLD? Go back and watch the 33rd minute (I think) where a NSW defender has his hands on the ball and they (fair enough) rule it as the QLD attacker not having enough control, then something like 2 tackles after the scrum Fifi (maybe?) dropping the ball in the play the ball after brushing against a QLD leg and the refs penalising QLD for "Ruck interference".

Slater offside on the kick? Watch the 44th minute (I Think) where NSW did the "double kick" which was barely scooped up by Slater, the NSW player (might have been Graham) who kicked it the second time was a meter in front of the first kicker, so it should have been a penalty to QLD back close to the halfway mark.

Calls go against you sometimes, what a shock. :roll:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Archer wrote:Doc, dead set you're having a laugh mate let it go.
Ball security was optional for QLD? Go back and watch the 33rd minute (I think) where a NSW defender has his hands on the ball and they (fair enough) rule it as the QLD attacker not having enough control, then something like 2 tackles after the scrum Fifi (maybe?) dropping the ball in the play the ball after brushing against a QLD leg and the refs penalising QLD for "Ruck interference".

Slater offside on the kick? Watch the 44th minute (I Think) where NSW did the "double kick" which was barely scooped up by Slater, the NSW player (might have been Graham) who kicked it the second time was a meter in front of the first kicker, so it should have been a penalty to QLD back close to the halfway mark.

There's a big difference in outcome between a team not getting a penalty but still getting the ball, and a team having to drop out instead of getting a penalty. Given that Queensland scored the match winning try off the back of that drop out, the crucial match changing call went the way of Queensland. I mean, if that's correctly ruled offside, NSW get a penalty, kick it upfield and win the game. History is littered with crucial match winning calls going the way of Queensland. Still, as I said above, it was marginal and I'm not hung up on it.
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Dr Zaius wrote:

I mean, if that's correctly ruled offside, NSW get a penalty, kick it upfield and win the game.
Nah, IF the one i pointed out was ruled correctly QLD are starting the set from 30 out, score on the first tackle and already have a 40 point lead by the Slater offside (which doesn't actually happen because instead they kick for touch). Also Thurston isn't injured, Sharks are stripped of their premiership for being drug cheats and we win tomorrows game by a clutch field goal that Sezer puts over from 60 out.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Archer wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

I mean, if that's correctly ruled offside, NSW get a penalty, kick it upfield and win the game.
Nah, IF the one i pointed out was ruled correctly QLD are starting the set from 30 out, score on the first tackle and already have a 40 point lead by the Slater offside (which doesn't actually happen because instead they kick for touch). Also Thurston isn't injured, Sharks are stripped of their premiership for being drug cheats and we win tomorrows game by a clutch field goal that Sezer puts over from 60 out.
You are definitely touched in the head. No way does Sezer nail a FG, let alone one 60 out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Could the oversized images above be reduced please?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yep, all the refs fault. :roll:
Archer
David Furner

Post by Archer »

Dr Zaius wrote:
You are definitely touched in the head. No way does Sezer nail a FG, let alone one 60 out.
Well not now he won't because they didn't award the penalty! That's what I'm saying, the first missed call is the bigger travesty in all of this and their should be some sort of integrity investigation.