2017 NRL Rd 4: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: 2017 NRL Rd 4: Teams and Game Day

Post by Raiders666 »

Boyd **** all over Vaughan last yr.... i love Vaughan as a player but to say it's not even close is laughable
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Pigman wrote:
CJR wrote:Also JT tackled the legs in the air of the Titans number 7. Wait and see if he gets charged.....

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Was thinking about this myself today
Much later hit than Sia's and he received a charge. It's going to be a tough one for me to discuss, because i dont think EITHER were bad enough to deserve a charge, so when JT isnt charged, do i get upset about Thurston being a protected species, or do i applaud the MRC for not ridgedly sticking to a bad precedent?

Probably an easier call for other fans who buy into the "they're out to get us" mantra.
Well he didn't get charged...

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Raiders666 wrote:Boyd **** all over Vaughan last yr.... i love Vaughan as a player but to say it's not even close is laughable
Vaughan was playing limited minutes and for a coach who clearly didn't want him. And still for the most part out performed Boyd
Sorry I love Boyd and I love Junior, both really good footballers and we'll get on fine with those two packing down in our scum but Paul Vaughan is and has always been better than both
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo are being clearly outperformed by Paul Vaughan. Time to lift your game boys.

Paul Vaughan certainly was not better in the latter half of last year. But he certainly is in the first four rounds.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Pigman wrote:
Raiders666 wrote:Boyd **** all over Vaughan last yr.... i love Vaughan as a player but to say it's not even close is laughable
Vaughan was playing limited minutes and for a coach who clearly didn't want him. And still for the most part out performed Boyd
Sorry I love Boyd and I love Junior, both really good footballers and we'll get on fine with those two packing down in our scum but Paul Vaughan is and has always been better than both
And Vaughan was stuck with those minutes because of a **** attitude and off field issues. It's amazing what a player can actually do when they sort out their off field rubbish. He wasn't going to do it for us.
It's really not unusual to see a guy that's held back by that stuff suddenly pull it together at a new club, in a new environment where they have to prove they're the man rather than that woe is me attitude.
Last edited by zim on March 26, 2017, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

When Paul Vaughan was out whistling at girls in Civic, Shannon Boyd was putting in stellar performances for his country at the the 4 Nations.

I think it's pretty clear who's better and who has the best chances for future success.
Last edited by afgtnk on March 26, 2017, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I can tell you who is playing best right now. Paul Vaughan. By a LONG way.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Good on him - as a former player of ours and a Canberra junior I hope he plays out a great career.

There's just no way he's more talented than either Boyd or Paulo. None. His form is temporary but their class is permanent.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yep, time for Shannon Boyd and Junior Paulo to look at what Paul Vaughan is delivering on the field. They are not coming close.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Not sure on minutes played but it seemed like Boyd played very low minutes again last Friday.

Can anyone who has time check his minutes per game this season?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's run for more metres so far in 2017 than Paulo and Boyd combined.
He's out paced Papalii by more than 100 metres across 4 games. Only Jordan Rapana has more ARM in our team, and he wins it by about 10-12 yards. Vaughan's had 43 runs compared to 31 and 28 for Boyd and Paulo... So Vaughan has had 16 less carries than our starting book ends and has out performed their combined yardage

He's made 90 tackles for 3 misses, compared to our much more talented and classy front rowers who have 106/7 and 64/3 respectively. He has 8 tackle breaks, for 3 line breaks and and 2 tries.
Paulo and Boyd have 1 line break and try between them (yes im giving Paulo that Whitehead try last week as it was an absolute gift, still cant believe the big fella gave it up!)
Vaughan has 0 errors. Boyd also has zero, Paulo has 2.

I love Boyd, i love Paulo. They are awesome but they are flat out getting their arses kicked in right now by guys like Paul Vaughan.

The numbers certain indicate which player is more talented. And it's not the one doing his thing in lime green. If those two are clearly more talented than him, then it's high time they **** showed up and proved in in 2017, because it's a greasy horror show for them right now
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote:He's run for more metres so far in 2017 than Paulo and Boyd combined.
He's out paced Papalii by more than 100 metres across 4 games. Only Jordan Rapana has more ARM in our team, and he wins it by about 10-12 yards. Vaughan's had 43 runs compared to 31 and 28 for Boyd and Paulo... So Vaughan has had 16 less carries than our starting book ends and has out performed their combined yardage

He's made 90 tackles for 3 misses, compared to our much more talented and classy front rowers who have 106/7 and 64/3 respectively. He has 8 tackle breaks, for 3 line breaks and and 2 tries.
Paulo and Boyd have 1 line break and try between them (yes im giving Paulo that Whitehead try last week as it was an absolute gift, still cant believe the big fella gave it up!)
Vaughan has 0 errors. Boyd also has zero, Paulo has 2.

I love Boyd, i love Paulo. They are awesome but they are flat out getting their arses kicked in right now by guys like Paul Vaughan.

The numbers certain indicate which player is more talented. And it's not the one doing his thing in lime green. If those two are clearly more talented than him, then it's high time they **** showed up and proved in in 2017, because it's a greasy horror show for them right now
I'd argue that Vaughan is showing up just about every prop in the NRL at the moment. He's the form front rower without doubt. None of us should be shocked by this. He's only doing what he's capable of when he applies himself. We all expected him to play Origin last year. Unfortunately he wasn't buying into Sticky's program and failed to realise that potential.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I'm happy enough with Paulo's performances. I have an issue with Boyd's. It seems he is playing less and less game time each week. He should be pumping out at least 40-50 minutes a game, alas he is not.

It's also quite concerning that our whole bench has made more metres than him over the past two weeks including Priest. He needs to step up big time

Sent from my Pixel using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm sure he will return to form once it cools down a bit.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

There's no doubt in my mind that our forward stats have been hampered by our completion rates and overall possession. It's pretty hard to be smashing out big meters gained stats with 45% or less of the ball!

We certainly haven't seen the best of our starting front row yet but an even balance of possession would at least give them a fighting chance.

You could also argue that the dragons have played very different games to what the raiders have. Let's see how the stats even out across the season.

Not having a go at Vaughn. He is an absolute weapon and was on track for origin. It's good to see him back at his best but it's also doubtful he would have managed that at the raiders.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I don't have much to say in the front rowers debate but the numbers Piggy just chucked up in relation to Vaughan are very impressive. I think one factor though is he'd get more carries at the Dragons due to the genuine lack of players demanding the ball, whereas here everyone wants it. Vaughan has made himself the clear forward leader there already, i'd say when he wants the ball he's generally getting it. Still, he has to roll his sleeves up and demand it so good on him.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

The reason Vaughan was let go was cos he had a clause in his contract that if he played a certain number of games he'd get a massive pay rise. We couldn't afford to keep him. He wasn't dropped or released for performance. Stick didn't want to let him go. We had little option. He is and always was a better prop then Boyd and Paulo. Now I love Boydy but I think he was a tad fortunate to get picked for Australia, there are several props in front of him imo.