Wests Tigers 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Re: Wests Tigers 2017

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^^
Benny Ellis
I don't post facts
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Cleary would have to be the number one choice of available coaches but would he want to go to such a basket case of a club?

The problem is they may need to go after a rookie coach who is out to prove himself. I imagine most assistant coaches would have a top job get out clause.

If not Cleary then I would go after Jason Demetriou ( assistant at Broncos). Has had success at Q cup and NSW cup level. Is from outside the organisation which I think is a positive in this case and is a very good coach from all reports.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I reckon he's the coach in waiting for the Broncos.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

greeneyed wrote:I reckon he's the coach in waiting for the Broncos.

Yeah agreed. I think he would be stupid to take a job at the Tigers.

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I don't think the Tigers will want a rookie so if they want a coach with NRL experience who does it leave?

Cleary who might not want to go there based on the board issues. Elliot or Furner are the 2 that come to mind but neither looks like a serious solution.
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

This is like watching(NRL360) an explosion in slow motion, Benny's been waiting a while for this chance to air his grievances
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

pickles wrote:I don't think the Tigers will want a rookie so if they want a coach with NRL experience who does it leave?

Cleary who might not want to go there based on the board issues. Elliot or Furner are the 2 that come to mind but neither looks like a serious solution.
Cartwright

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Ginga wrote:This is like watching(NRL360) an explosion in slow motion, Benny's been waiting a while for this chance to air his grievances
Kent and Rothfield calling it like it is about Brooks and Moses. Neither has earned any right to dictate to the club.

All this 'Big 4' talk is total crap. Teddy is critical and Tigers need to pull out all stops to keep him. The other 3 are totally replaceable.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What a basket case of a club. Punt Potter, who seemed to be doing ok and replace him with Taylor. Then the club backs Taylor in favour of the club captain and move Farrah on while still paying him to play for another club and then three games into the new season sack the coach. ****.

They need an experienced coach and they're pretty rare. Toovey or Cleary are probably the pick, but why would either go there - the club allows the players to have too much control. Woods is **** and so is Brooks - get rid of both of them. Lawrence needs to retire or go to ESL. They have some great young talent but too much deadwood.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm looking forward to hearing Paul Kent ask Aaron Woods the big question on NRL360.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

If the rumours about Cleary or Payton are true they could be in trouble. Either that or a long contract so when the club inevitably sacked you there was a serious pay out attached.

Smacks of reactionary decision making, if they weren't happy with JT they should have made a decision in the off season and not 3 rounds in!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

pickles wrote:If the rumours about Cleary or Payton are true they could be in trouble. Either that or a long contract so when the club inevitably sacked you there was a serious pay out attached.

Smacks of reactionary decision making, if they weren't happy with JT they should have made a decision in the off season and not 3 rounds in!
They sacked the wrong guy pickles.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The damage the players have talked about done to the club by the very public battle between Taylor and Farrah is going to take some time to blow through.

Even the media scrutiny and presence at training would have been extremely disruptive.

You need leadership from your senior players but they need to be on the same page as the club and this clearly wasn't the case.

The way they got the rid of Farrah was a disaster but they've basically admitted that they got it wrong in a public and embarrassing way.

Their front office is all over the shop and this is a bad outcome for them. It's not like they had a better option waiting in the wings. They are also saying that they weren't influenced by players but when the core of your playing group aren't re-signing due to uncertainty around coaching it is clear where the power is.

They need a coach who can control the players and the board and that is a bloody big ask!
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

They need to get their "big 4" into line. And turn it into the "big 3" because Brooks needs to go. Do what they can to keep Tedesco and Woods, and fix Woods' attitude if he wants to be captain. Moses is someone who has potential but hasn't earned big money yet, but definitely work to re-sign him.

Those 4 are holding the club to ransom as Paul Kent put it and it's just embarrassing at this point because they haven't shown why they get that right.

Oh you don't like your coach? You still have to come out and play 80 minutes. They gave up after 30 on Sunday.

New coach, hardline stance. Whip them into shape.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Just find it stupid how they backed Taylor over sacking Farrah then 5 minutes later sack Taylor.

Surely he should have been granted another 2 years to rebuild the team.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

perhaps neither Farah nor Jay Tay were the answer, rather than one or the other.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Raidersfan wrote:^^^^
Benny Ellis
Wasn't Benny amazing on NRL360 last night, he's part of the problem.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Jason wrote:
Benny Ellis

Yep. His Balmain old boy 'us vs them' vitriol is poison for a merged entity. Tigers will never succeed while this attitude prevails through their past greats.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

This is similar to the raiders in the Dugan/Ferguson era, except we had a great CEO and good board.

We were fortunate to have the likes of Ricky Stuart available, sure he didn't come cheap, but he loves Canberra and is doing a fine job.

Tigers just keep finding new ways to make life hard

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

A great CEO is not how the vast majority viewed Don Furner at the time

He was routinely lambasted on this site and others despite putting the club in a great position off the park and doing his best to navigate through a very competitive market under funded and resourced
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Pigman wrote:A great CEO is not how the vast majority viewed Don Furner at the time

He was routinely lambasted on this site and others despite putting the club in a great position off the park and doing his best to navigate through a very competitive market under funded and resourced
I don't think DFJ's job was made any easier by Bonehead's 'family farm' mentality either. Both CEO and coach seem to have been given the necessary freedom and authority to build a competitive professional NRL team.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah absolutely
DFJ has spent of his professional life hamstrung by McIntyre. As I said, the football dept under farmer mac was criminally under funded and under resourced

The only difference between DFJ now and then is he's had the shackles removed from him. And one wonders had it happened sooner maybe our 2000-2015 period could have been a little more successful

I've said it once and will say it 10000 times again, Stuart getting McIntyre to retire was probably the biggest thing to happen to this club since 1994
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sticky's personnel masterstroke
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Northern Raider wrote:
Jason wrote:
Benny Ellis

Yep. His Balmain old boy 'us vs them' vitriol is poison for a merged entity. Tigers will never succeed while this attitude prevails through their past greats.
It seems like everyone bar ex-Balmain old boys understand it's a merger but them. Even after Ikin questioned how a bankrupt Balmain board, has any right to have control of the West Tigers board he ranted about Balmain's greatness.

The old Tiger boys need to get there heads out of the sand. Benny, Siro and Blocker are passionate but too far behind the times.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

^Plus as Kent pointed out the point of a merger is to have one board. The club is a mess.

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

They were better at Lowes ads
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The 'big 4' sure have validated the clubs decision to knife the coach. What a basket case of a club.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Cleary named as Tigers coach .. surprising lol
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wests Tigers announce Ivan Cleary as head coach

Wests Tigers have announced that Ivan Cleary will take on the role of Head Coach, effective immediately.

Cleary will take on the role of Head Coach until the end of the 2020 NRL season.

Cleary, 46, has coached 252 NRL games at the New Zealand Warriors and Penrith Panthers, plus was Head Coach of the 2015 Prime Minister's XIII team and was named the 2014 Daly M Coach of the Year.

Wests Tigers Chair Marina Go welcomed Cleary to the Club.

"On behalf of the Wests Tigers Board I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome Ivan to Wests Tigers," said Go.

"We look forward to him building a strong relationship with our players and staff and working with them long into the future.

"In appointing Ivan as Head Coach we as a Club have worked through a thorough process and are thrilled to be making this announcement today," she said.

"Throughout this process Ivan was incredibly impressive with his vision for this Club and where it can go both on and off the field."

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that he looked forward to working closely with Cleary over the coming seasons.

"In all of my dealings with Ivan he's shown himself to be an incredibly professional individual with a real passion for the game," he said.

"He brings to this Club a wealth of experience which we believe will be very beneficial for our playing group.

"We have a group of players who are ready to take the next step in their playing careers and as a Club we're confident that Ivan is the man to lead them," he said.

Cleary said he was looking forward to joining Wests Tigers.

"This is a great opportunity to join a Club with a lot of potential," said Cleary.

"I look forward to getting to work with the playing group and coaching staff.

"The Wests Tigers are a huge brand with a strong Membership base and a lot of supporters and I look forward to getting stuck in over the coming weeks," he said.

"Day one is today and from here we start working on improving, we’ll do a lot of exploring and analysis on how things work at Wests Tigers and how the people within the Club work. We need to decide as a group what we want to be and go about achieving this.

"I can't wait to get to work here," he said.

"It's no secret that I've missed it, this is a fresh start for me and I'm committed to seeing this Club reach its potential and to be the success that I know it can be."

Pascoe thanked Interim Head Coach Andrew Webster for his efforts over the last two weeks.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Andrew Webster for the way that he carried himself over the last few weeks," said Pascoe.

"He did a terrific job during a difficult time, with the way that he conducted himself a true demonstration of his character."

Wests Tigers media release
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I'm shocked!
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

I was thinking Andrew McFadden ... was he available ??
Last edited by Raidersfan on April 3, 2017, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't post facts
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I wonder how long it will take them to chew him up? I give it two and a half years.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

.. Maybe the other Ivan .. Henjak
I don't post facts
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Raidersfan wrote:I was thinking Andrew McFadden ... was he available ??
He's actually still an assistant coach at the Warriors

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Pigman wrote:Yeah absolutely
DFJ has spent of his professional life hamstrung by McIntyre. As I said, the football dept under farmer mac was criminally under funded and under resourced

The only difference between DFJ now and then is he's had the shackles removed from him. And one wonders had it happened sooner maybe our 2000-2015 period could have been a little more successful

I've said it once and will say it 10000 times again, Stuart getting McIntyre to retire was probably the biggest thing to happen to this club since 1994
I'd say it was mainly due to his conflict of interest with the QLC. His main role was to make it as profitable as it could, and as long as the raiders had enough money to stay alive that's all that matters.

Now we've got a lot more cash with better sponsors, were not as reliant on that QLC funding

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk