Melbourne Storm 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Melbourne Storm 2017

Post by greeneyed »

He's already said he'd like to play a couple of extra years. If he were retiring, he'd have announced that.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

I think Bulldogs or Parra are most likely. Both need halves, and both probably only need a few pieces to win a premiership
(Bulldogs forwards and outsides backs are fine, they need a spine though. So, Get Cronk and Mbye/Reynolds in the halves, move one of them to hooker, **** Lichaa and Hopoate off and they're challenging)

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

Ginga wrote:
The Phantom wrote:
Ginga wrote:Am I the only one who upon hearing Cronk was going to Sydney just assume it's the Roosters or Rabbits?
No, they've got two decent incumbents.
I immediately thought bulldogs.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I'm well aware of who they already have on the books but just assumed Uncle Nick must've found some "space" in the cap
The cap that may not exist next year? Image

I just don't think each club would be so short sighted to sacrifice a quality half for a player with maybe two year left in him

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Notaroboticfish wrote: Bulldogs forwards and outsides backs are fine,
Gee I really don't agree with that. From their first 5 games it seems their go to outside back is a bloke who couldn't crack our side last year. The Morris boys are solid players, Brett especially, but they're 31 soon and not the type of players that will fare well with age (rely on speed rather than high skill or ball play).

And their pack, IMO, consists of the most over rated second rower in the game and 5 props. Klemmer, Eastwood and co are not genuine backrowers. And as much as I love Aiden Tolman he is the most easily tackled player in the game.

Even an injection of one of the greatest playmakers of the modern era wouldn't turn them around too much.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Offer him a pie, a coke an opportunity and see what happens Donny!
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

Melbourne make shock play for Broncos star Anthony Milford

PLAYMAKER Anthony Milford was reportedly on the verge of signing a record deal with the Broncos, but a last-minute approach from the Melbourne Storm may be about to shake-up the entire NRL player market.

Milford has been deep in talks with the Broncos for months and, according to reports, is set to sign a whopping $2.7 million three-year deal to remain with the club — the richest deal ever offered to a Broncos player. Now a fresh report has linked the Storm with a move for the star five-eighth as a replacement for Cooper Cronk.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbou ... a4cb2b37bf
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Manchild wrote:Melbourne make shock play for Broncos star Anthony Milford

PLAYMAKER Anthony Milford was reportedly on the verge of signing a record deal with the Broncos, but a last-minute approach from the Melbourne Storm may be about to shake-up the entire NRL player market.

Milford has been deep in talks with the Broncos for months and, according to reports, is set to sign a whopping $2.7 million three-year deal to remain with the club — the richest deal ever offered to a Broncos player. Now a fresh report has linked the Storm with a move for the star five-eighth as a replacement for Cooper Cronk.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbou ... a4cb2b37bf
Interesting. I don't really see Milford as a good fit for the Storm and it's going to be tough for the little fella with Halo being so far away in Brisbane.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Shock Halo recovery?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Sid wrote:Shock Halo recovery?
That happened immediately after young Anthony signed with the Broncs in that big house overlooking the sea.
I don't post facts
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I understand that there are other clubs in talks with him, too. Broncos are far from certain of signing him.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Reports that there is a cardiologist in Melbourne.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Northern Raider wrote:
I'd imagine they have one in the box with Bellamy.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

T_R wrote:I understand that there are other clubs in talks with him, too. Broncos are far from certain of signing him.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I think he is a little upset at the amount they offered him compared to the amount that Bird signed for.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It would be outstanding if he dumped the Broncos
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
I'd imagine they have one in the box with Bellamy.
:clap:
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Melbourne Storm star Cooper Cronk quickly running out of NRL options in Sydney

COOPER Cronk remains undecided if he will play next year — and Sydney clubs are certainly not holding out for his answer.

As Cronk prepared to play for Australia in Friday night’s Anzac Test in Canberra — Johnathan Thurston will definitely play alongside him in the halves — he was not fussed about the possibility of clubs having no space or money left for his services.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 98c0a65887
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

He is going to retire. But if he wants to have one more year in the big game and doesn't mind the bus ride to Canberra I'm sure we can get away with one year over the cap

I'm obviously kidding

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sounds like Melbourne are having a red hot go for Milf. I will lol heartily if he leaves the Broncos. Funny thing is most of their fans are happy to see the back of him if you go by Broncos HQ.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

For the sake of winning Origin, i hope CC retires... but he still has plenty of good footy in him. Class act
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

edwahu wrote:Sounds like Melbourne are having a red hot go for Milf. I will lol heartily if he leaves the Broncos. Funny thing is most of their fans are happy to see the back of him if you go by Broncos HQ.
"Melbourne storm have allegedly out done the Broncos offer to Anthony Milford of $2.7million, offering the NRL star a $5million contract of 4 years!"

Is this the rumour u saw?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'd love for him to leave and go to Melbourne. To lose both of their halves would be exciting to watch.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

edwahu wrote:Sounds like Melbourne are having a red hot go for Milf. I will lol heartily if he leaves the Broncos. Funny thing is most of their fans are happy to see the back of him if you go by Broncos HQ.
That's outstanding.

Assuming they'll just get Ash Taylor back?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote:
Hope they have dietitians for Milford

Sent from my ZTE T815 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Hope they have dietitians for Milford

Don't need a dietician to find the nearest pie shop
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Kiwis captain Jesse Bromwich, team-mate Kevin Proctor involved in alleged cocaine bust

Kiwis captain Jesse Bromwich and team-mate Kevin Proctor allegedly bought cocaine in Australia after Friday night's Anzac test.

Canberra man Adrian Mark Crowther, 38, appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Saturday after allegedly selling cocaine to the two Kiwis players, as well as for possession of four grams of MDMA.

Bromwich and Proctor had earlier played in the Anzac Test against Australia at Canberra's GIO Stadium.

Read more: http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/92296 ... caine-bust
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I suspect that cocaine use in the nrl is rife as it doesn't stay in the body long.

So glad we didn't sign grug.

Be interesting to see how Melbourne and the titans handle this

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

And how bad is it when your CEO has cocaine? Fair dinkum

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Melbourne Storm and Jesse Bromwich statements

Melbourne Storm statement from CEO Dave Donaghy

Earlier today, our Football Director Frank Ponissi and I spoke to Jesse Bromwich regarding a matter that took place following the ANZAC Test in Canberra on Friday night.

Jesse was extremely remorseful for putting himself in a position of risk that has obviously had an impact on his Club – despite being on international duties.

He is genuinely disappointed by his poor choices and he’s accepted a number of sanctions that have been imposed upon him by the Club for breaching our code of conduct.

Melbourne Storm has extremely high standards and we make no apologies for that – this has been a tough lesson for Jesse.

In handing down these sanctions Melbourne Storm has consulted Jesse’s management, the RLPA and the NRL Integrity Unit.

The sanctions are as follows:

· Jesse will be stood down for two games – he won’t be available for selection until Round 13

· Jesse will donate his ANZAC Test match fee to a selected charity

· Jesse has stood aside from the Storm leadership group and I believe has informed New Zealand of his intention to step down as the Kiwis’ captain

· Jesse will be required to undergo a number of counselling and treatment courses

Jesse had the opportunity to front the board regarding this matter, however, he’s chosen to waive this and accept the sanction.

Jesse is a terrific person, this is out of character and he’s incredibly disappointed in himself, however he will learn from it and we will continue to support him and his family.

Statement from Jesse Bromwich

I’d like to start by firstly apologising to my family, Melbourne Storm, New Zealand Rugby League, the NRL, my teammates, the sponsors, and the members and fans.

I regret making the choice of staying out with my teammates until the early hours of Saturday morning, as well as consuming an excessive amount of alcohol.

I take full responsibility for the poor choices I made, I am devastated and my actions were out of character.

Playing footy for Melbourne Storm and the Kiwis is a great honour and I apologise for letting down everyone involved in both organisations.

I will be stepping down from my leadership roles with Melbourne Storm and the Kiwis, I understand I am a role model to the young players and the poor choices I made do not reflect my personal values.

I fully accept the sanctions that have been handed down.

Melbourne Storm media

VIDEO: Storm CEO Dave Donaghy addresses media: http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2 ... donag.html
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

Two games? I'm assuming the integrity unit will have something else to say, surely. Barba was going to get 12 weeks

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Done after consulting the integrity unit it appears.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Kyle Lovett got 4 matches for his possession charge. Only.missed 2 regular season games.

Sent from my SM-G920I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dave Taylor got two... seems to be the going rate.
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

greeneyed wrote:Dave Taylor got two... seems to be the going rate.
Far less than attempting to preform a sexual act on a canine.... that's probably for the best actually
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

So apparently Sisa Waqa has signed a trial contract with the Storm. I've seen it doing the rounds on FB
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Yeah, seems to be legit. It strikes me as being a bit odd with Tonumaipea in reserve. But story reads that Waqa broke his jaw and dropped out of rugby and was simply back in Melbourne ready to be picked up.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.