Rugby League 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Rugby League 2017

Post by Rick »

I still don't get how losing someone to a head injury is different to losing someone to leg injury. And I just know certain teams would abide it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Rick wrote:I still don't get how losing someone to a head injury is different to losing someone to leg injury. And I just know certain teams would abide it.

Difference is with head injuries there's an independent party determining whether a player can retake the field. They also ere on the side of caution to protect the players wellbeing. The 18th man suggestion is to compensate for these new regulations.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rick wrote:I still don't get how losing someone to a head injury is different to losing someone to leg injury. And I just know certain teams would abide it.

No one is going to be launching a class action against the NRL due to negligence in duty of care around knee injuries

Mothers don't stop sons picking up a footy because of ACLs

The difference is obvious
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Pigman wrote:2 weeks would be my minimum and it's all about medical reasons. Symptoms of a concussion can begin many days and yes weeks after the event.

But frankly I'm more than happy to let the neurologists dictate that policy. Hot tip though, they'll scoff at my 2 weeks and probably lean more towards around 52 weeks if not medical retirement

If the code is serious about head trauma and wish to avoid large scale class actions the way the NFL couldn't (and as McManus has shown, there is good chance that ship has already sailed), the nrl need to take this more seriously and ensuring players are protected from themselves and their self serving clubs

CTE is a serious thing and we are learning more and more about the cumulative effects of collision sport every day, in 30 years time they'll look back to these early days and ask why sports like the NRL didn't act more seriously when they had information about this. And that's where it's going to cost the code millions if not billions.

I'd be stunned if in 20 years time a confirmed severe concussion isn't deemed a career ending injury. We are already seeing a trend to this, where guys with 3-5 concussions are not being medically cleared or opting to walk away themselves.

If a player misses a Grand Final, so be it. It's no different to Campo blowing his knee out in week 2 of the finals

The sporting body has a moral obligation to its workforce to ensure they aren't dribbling into their bibs at age 50 due to CTE. And if they aren't interested in player welfare they should be obligated financially, participation rates due to worries mothers, court settlements threaten the future of the sport that lines their pockets, RL and all collision sports are in serious long term jeopardy due to head trauma and it needs to be taken seriously now
If you are rubbing people out based on medical reasons then I'm all for it but initially this was raised as a way to stop people gaming an additional interchange system. While I appreciate your concern for players welfare and the fiscal future of the NRL this is a pretty typical piggles straw man rant, in fact I think there's a tin man and Dorothy along for this walk down the yellow brick road as well!
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

So you are saying if you have 18th man joe average and Thurston cops a slight head knock in a semi they will with out hesitation bring him off now as they have a crap centre to bring on.... Right.

This if brought in will be milked by a few to have an extra rotation. There are already 4 extras on the bench and a free interchange for head knocks.

Just because there is some extra Neville on the bench mum and dad are not going to change there mind about little Johhny playing league.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rick wrote:So you are saying if you have 18th man joe average and Thurston cops a slight head knock in a semi they will with out hesitation bring him off now as they have a crap centre to bring on.... Right.
Who said that? :?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Pigman. Read above

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You can't die from an ACL, you can from a head knock which isn't properly managed..

Dead set..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rick wrote:Pigman. Read above

You want me to read one of pigman's posts? Thats just mean.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Yeah disregard

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Because you don't think with your knee?...

Although it appears you have in this instance.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Here's why I don't agree with an 18th man (outside of a player being forced out of the game due to foul play)...
As I mentioned in an earlier post, coaches already have the capacity to cover every position with their four bench players. They can pick an outside back, a player to cover halves/hooker, a middle forward, and a wide forward. The idea that two props have to be chosen on the bench to cover the prop rotation is a fallacy. Coaches do not do this for player welfare, they choose two props for tactically reasons.

An 18th man would not make coaches/medical staff more likely to pull off a potentially concussed player. They already get free interchanges for head injuries, and the only reason they leave players out there at the moment is either because they don't realise they are concussed, or for tactical reasons (the player is important to their chances of winning).

I just think this is another example of the game giving coaches too much influence on the rules. And you just know that if we went to a five man bench, after a few years there would be calls for a 19th man, because the coaches are never satisfied.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

gangrenous wrote:

Some people must have taken too many hits and are misreading my post.

I get that head injuries are serious. I am not trying to compare them with other injuries.

What I am saying is what has been explained better in the post above.

Why should coaches get a 5th option to replace head injuries when there are already 4 options available. It's not going to make a difference.

Coaches will just abuse the use of an 18th man like they have done with every other rule.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL Nines tournament is heading to Perth next year

THE NRL Nines tournament is heading to Perth next year, the city that faces the loss of its Super Rugby franchise.

Governments around Australia are eager to take over the last year of the tournament and capture the economic boost of having so many players, fans and officials in their city at the same time.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 1c685ce48b
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Gee Perth in February will be fun. Will be 8000 degrees
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hazza wrote:Gee Perth in February will be fun. Will be 8000 degrees
Not wrong. you would think they'd program it as an evening/night event. Regularly in the high 30s that time of year.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rick wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Some people must have taken too many hits and are misreading my post.

I get that head injuries are serious. I am not trying to compare them with other injuries.

What I am saying is what has been explained better in the post above.

Why should coaches get a 5th option to replace head injuries when there are already 4 options available. It's not going to make a difference.

Coaches will just abuse the use of an 18th man like
Because head injuries are more often than not the result of foul play by the opposition team.
And it will only be exploited if they use it as a half measure. If they just add an 18th man and call it a day it'll get exploited. If it's backed up by mandatory exclusion periods of anyone replaced from a game by 18th man, then there isn't a coach in the land dumb enough to accept losing a meaningful member of the team for 2+ weeks for the sake of a single interchange
Unless it's a GF, and we all know what ever the rule is won't be adhered to in the GF
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

A lot are from head clashes, a lot are on defenders etc to to say they are a result of foul play is a bit of a stretch. Coaches are already abusing the free interchange awarded to HIA's so it would be no different to 18th man.

We want to see the best players in the game, why force exclusion periods if they are unnecessary for the sake of harry the 18th best player....

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ray Warren re signs for five more years

Nine Official Statement

Wide World of Sports today announced a new five-year agreement with the voice of rugby league, Ray “Rabs” Warren.

This will see Warren staying with the Nine Network until the end of the current rugby league rights deal in 2022.

Announcing the agreement, Nine’s Director of Sport, Tom Malone, said: “Ray Warren is an icon of sports broadcasting. He has brought us some of the greatest moments in sport for more than 50 years, and his contribution to the profile of rugby league and swimming in Australia cannot be overstated.”

Ray will provide his inimitable voice for promos and production, and contribute content across WWOS mobile platforms including columns and podcasts.

“While Rabs is yet to decide for how long he will continue to commentate, this new deal is recognition of his special place at Channel Nine and Wide World of Sports,” Malone said. “At a network that invented the star system Rabs is one of our greatest, and sits alongside people like Ken Sutcliffe and Richie Benaud as someone who is synonymous with WWOS and Nine.”

Warren said: “This is a wonderful opportunity for me remain a part of Nine even though I am undecided about the calling aspect. It was always my dream to work for Nine. I called greyhounds for them back in the 70s and then came the swimming for a decade or more, but it was rugby league where they gave me a second chance to cover the sport I love so much.

“I have been part of that coverage since 1989 and they have been good to me. For them to want me to remain a part of WWOS for another five years is very humbling.”

In typical understated Rabs style the new contract was sealed over a sausage sanga this week.

Nine Network media release

Phoenix_Raider
David Grant

Post by Phoenix_Raider »

April fools yeh?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
RAIDERS MEMBER #5036
rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

Phoenix_Raider wrote:April fools yeh?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I wish!
1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Least he didn't sign with fox

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

By 2022 Rabs won't remember the clubs in the comp.

He already can't remember players names.

"That's a great try by Cronulla"

Ah Rabs that's StGeorge...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:By 2022 Rabs won't remember the clubs in the comp.

He already can't remember players names.

"That's a great try by Cronulla"

Ah Rabs that's StGeorge...
He will continue to be amazed in 5 years that Jason Croker is still playing and Mitchell Chalk is showing potential.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Rugby League 2017

Post by gangrenous »

From a news.com article:
“I certainly don’t want to be one of those people who go one season too many,” Warren told News Ltd last year. “I’d hate to think I could go too long and damage my reputation. No one is indispensable or irreplaceable.”

No chance of that...
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Rabs for another five years, **** hell.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yeah Rabs don't go hanging around a year too long and damage your reputation.....

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

This is actually really sad, someone is taking advantage of a really old man.

I'm sure he was once a great commentator (just cant recall when) and now is a laugh among the NRL and the fans. Channel 9 are telling him how great he is and signing him on for peanuts compared to the others because he is cheap and funny

I actually feel sorry for him
Vaccinated
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

I thought he retired last season
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

There was a rumour going around he was going to after the gf

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Thank God I have fox

Sent from my ZTE T815 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Uiti Baker , former raider u20

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

dubby wrote:Uiti Baker , former raider u20

Correct, he was
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote:Uiti Baker , former raider u20

He now plays for the Maggots in Newy comp.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Maggots?