Rugby League 2017

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Rugby League 2017

Post by -TW- »

And considering the fact that we beat manly the first time, we probably beat the dogs easily the next week.. there's 8th place

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

-TW- wrote:And considering the fact that we beat manly the first time, we probably beat the dogs easily the next week.. there's 8th place

I expect we'd be a lot higher than 8th if we went on a roll after winning those two games
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kevin Walters to coach Queensland Maroons to 2020, take up assistant role at Brisbane Broncos

The Queensland Rugby League is pleased to announce that Kevin Walters has agreed to extend his tenure as coach of the Queensland Maroons until 2020.

A key component of the contract extension is support for Walters to coach more regularly, with the QRL confirming the Maroons mentor has its blessing to return to the NRL next year as an assistant with the Brisbane Broncos.

“First and foremost, we’re absolutely thrilled to extend Kevin’s contract as Maroons coach,” QRL Chairman Bruce Hatcher said.

“He’s done a wonderful job to win back-to-back series during an extremely challenging period.

“Kevin’s great passion is coaching, and as such, we support his desire to return to the NRL as an assistant coach with the Broncos.”

Hatcher said Walters possessed the drive and experience to succeed in both roles.

“We’re always looking to work with the NRL clubs and ensure the best outcome for rugby league in Queensland, and in this particular instance, we believe we have done just that,” Hatcher said.

“Kevin will be a great asset for both the Maroons and the Broncos in 2018.”

Walters said he was delighted to extend his time with the Queensland State of Origin team.

“I love coaching Queensland and I’m grateful that I can continue on in this role as we have a lot more work to do,” Walters said.

“I’m also excited about the opportunity to be involved in the NRL again. I can’t thank both the QRL and the Broncos enough for the opportunity.”

Queensland Rugby League media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Collective bargaining agreement has been reached. Live press conference now: http://www.nrl.com/live-stream-nrl-rlpa ... fault.aspx

Salary cap $9.4 million next year. Minimum wage $100,000.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL announces historic CBA deal

The NRL and RLPA today announced an historic Collective Bargaining Agreement, which will deliver the best deal to players in the game’s history.

The $980 million deal will deliver extra funding for the player retirement fund, for players forced into early retirement due to injury, a world class wellbeing and education program, and guaranteed leave entitlements.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and RLPA CEO Ian Prendergast said the deal signalled the start of a genuine partnership between the game and the players.

“For the first time, our players will receive a 29.5% share of forecast game revenue, as well as a share of any out-performance revenue,” Mr Greenberg said.

“In other words, the better the game performs, the more the players will receive.

“And players will share in any financial out-performance at the same time and on the same basis as grassroots and Clubs – a true partnership to take the game forward.”

Mr Prendergast said the agreement ensured players received a fair share of revenue for their significant contribution to the sport – both on the field and off the field.

“This is an outstanding deal for the entire game of Rugby League,” Prendergast said.

“For the first time in the history of the sport, the interests of players, the NRL, Clubs and States will be aligned – incentivising all parties to work together in taking this great game forward.

“The contribution that players make to the record levels of revenue coming into the game has been recognised under the CBA, with the players’ benefits also directly linked to the overall success of the NRL in the future.”

Highlights of the agreement include:

- A 52 per cent increase in take-home pay for players over the next five years

- A revised contracting and payment model that provides more certainty, clarity and protection for players

- The average wage of a top 30 player will rise to $330,000 a year while the minimum wage will be increased to $100,000 next year and $120,000 in 2022

- The salary cap will rise to $9.4 million next year and more than $10 million in 2022

- A new Injury Hardship Fund will be set up to support players facing early retirement due to serious injury, replacing the Career Ending Injury Insurance scheme

- Additional time-off during the week for personal development and more certainty around annual leave entitlements

- An allocation of $3.75 million for the elite women’s game – with the NRL and RLPA working together on new women’s programs to enable more females to play Rugby League

- Increased Integrity safeguards to minimise risks to the game

- The RLPA and players to have a greater role in the running of the game

Mr Greenberg and Mr Prendergast said it reflected the professionalism of players, Clubs and the NRL that the agreement had been reached in a timely fashion and without any industrial unrest.

“Indeed, the parties remained on excellent terms throughout the entire negotiation process,” Mr Prendergast said.

“We look forward to moving ahead in partnership with the NRL and Clubs, utilising the strong level of engagement that the RLPA has with our members, to assist in ensuring the game prospers in the future.”

Mr Greenberg said the game was now better positioned than at any time in its history.

He said the record level of club funding should ensure the financial future of every team in the NRL.

“Now the players have a record level of funding and we will deliver a huge boost to grassroots as well.

“So we will move into the 2018 season in better shape than ever before.”

RLPA General President, Cameron Smith endorsed the new CBA deal and commended the playing group for their show of solidarity throughout the negotiations.

“The new CBA is a win for not only players, but for the entire NRL community,” Smith said.

“This deal will assist in the continual growth of the sport because for the first time ever, we will be genuinely recognised as partners in the game.

“I’m extremely proud of the way the entire playing group united behind the RLPA throughout the lengthy negotiation process – it’s a great sign that the players are engaged and willing to drive positive change within the sport.

“The next phase for all parties now is to commit to working together and building trust in the partnership, which will take shape over coming years.”

NRL media release
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I'm curious to see how the "more time off for personal development" looks like
Vaccinated
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

cat wrote:I'm curious to see how the "more time off for personal development" looks like
It looks a lot like Dugan and Ferguson on top of a roof drinking cruisers

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Tony Archer to vacate role as referees boss as NRL restructures department

Tony Archer's controversial stint as referees boss is about to end as he prepares to vacate the role as part of a restructure of the whistleblowing department.

Archer is poised to take up the new role of national director of referees, effectively taking him out of the pressure cooker that is overseeing NRL match officials. The NRL hasn't yet landed on a replacement, although Bernard Sutton – a former referee and video referee – is the favourite.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... zdpl1.html

Archer needs to be moved on entirely, and they need some fresh blood in the role of referees boss.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Talk about falling upwards
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It was inevitable.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Graeme Langlands has been charged with several historical child sex offences...

Fox sports are reporting...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:Graeme Langlands has been charged with several historical child sex offences...

Fox sports are reporting...
The White Booties scandal. Allegedly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brad Fittler appointed NSW Origin coach

Brad Fittler has been appointed NSW coach, with the former captain taking the reins after a three-month search for Laurie Daley's successor.

Fittler, a former Sydney Roosters coach and NSW assistant, beat ex-South Sydney coach Michael Maguire to the position and will coach the side he represented 31 times, 14 as captain.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... zs2m4.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Greg Alexander to be Brad Fittler’s selection advisor for New South Wales Blues

Panthers great Greg Alexander will replace Peter Sterling as the NSW Origin team’s selection advisor. Alexander is the first major appointment from new coach Brad Fittler, who has also recruited Knights legends Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus as his assistant coaches for the 2018 series.

Read more: https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/38 ... evolution/

Alexander appointed NSW Blues advisor: http://www.nrl.com/alexander-appointed- ... fault.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don’t expect any Raiders in the team!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Deary me

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Rugby League 2017

Post by RTW »

As opposed to previous years?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good feelings gone.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote:Don’t expect any Raiders in the team!
But plenty of Panthers...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Rugby League 2017

Post by BJ »

I just got an exciting email about Chicken Sate from the canberra Raiders.

You may have got a “Sate of Origin” email too.

Just as I was thinking it was all about Indonesian Gado Gado versus Malaysian Sate. It was surprisingly about State of Origin.

I obviously knew it wasn’t about Thai Satay Chicken Versus Chinese Satay Beef as they use the different spelling ‘Satay’ rather than the Indonesian or Malaysian spelling ‘Sate’.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fox have been able to get the rights to the old Ten matches.. a lot of early 90s games being shown

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New NRL officiating structure announced

The NRL has confirmed a new officiating structure following a review of refereeing across the game.

The new NRL officiating structure includes the elite level as well as development and pathways for referees nationally.

The revised structure will include:

the appointment of Bernard Sutton to the new role of Senior Manager – Officiating;

the appointment of Premiership-winning NRL Coach Michael Maguire as High Performance Coach – Officiating and Leadership Consultant;

Robert Finch taking the role of Senior Manager – Education, Development and Pathways;

Tony Archer's General Manager – Officiating role now covering the national structure rather than just the elite group.

As part of the new structure, Sutton will assume the day-to-day running of the elite referees group and the NRL Bunker while Maguire's role is to bring a football perspective across officiating programs and processes.

Maguire's role will also include developing a high-performance team and implementing performance programs.

NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan said Maguire would provide a new perspective to the officiating structure.

"Michael is a Premiership-winner with South Sydney and Wigan and through his time as a coach he has had a strong focus on leadership," Canavan said.

"He has experience helping corporates with leadership and high performance culture across two countries.

"He has also been a respected and valued member of the NRL Competition Committee for several years, where his knowledge and insight have been able to shape the forward progress of the game.

"As part of this role, he will be part of relevant committees in the NRL football department. Michael will also provide strategic consultancy to the broader organisation working with the NRL CEO, Head of People and Culture and Head of Football."

Canavan said Sutton had been a valued member of the officiating department in recent years and deserved the opportunity to take on this new role.

"He will lead the officials on a day-to-day basis and will also focus on the technical aspect of officiating," Canavan said.

Sutton said he was pleased to be given the opportunity to take on the new role.

"We have an outstanding group of officials and I'm looking forward to working with them all in this capacity through 2018 and beyond," Sutton said.

An appointments panel, led by Sutton, is in the process of being put together, to determine the appointment of match officials each week.

Canavan said the new structure was designed to improve officiating and pathways nationally.

"This is a different structure for the officiating group to what we have ever had before," Canavan said.

"Tony Archer's role will focus on the national programs, integrating education, development, recruitment, retention and high performance programs.

"I think he is ideally placed to develop the national structure."

Sutton, Maguire and Archer will begin their new roles immediately.

NRL media release

Former Rabbitohs coach Maguire added to NRL referees leadership: https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/12/14/for ... eadership/