2017 State of Origin

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: 2017 State of Origin

Post by Hazza »

afgtnk wrote:1. Hayne
2. T. Trbojevic
3. Jennings
4. Leilua
5. Ferguson
6. Austin
7. Maloney
8. Fifita
9. Wallace
10. Paulo
11. Frizell
12. Cordner
13. Merrin

14. Bird
15. Klemmer
16. Boyd
17. Graham

I think Tedesco is fantastic but IMO he's too one dimensional and doesn't strike fear into the QLD team. A top club player, but doesn't enough strings on his bow as yet. Despite his form and time away from the game Hayne does that and has the proven ability to win a game on his own at that level with his added X-factor. He's a must pick at fullback for me.

Apart from that I think it's got a good balance of everything. Plenty of speed, power, size, experience, youth, and game breaking ability.
Tedesco. One dimensional? Hilarious. Did you watch the game yesterday?
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

Sid wrote:how many times has Papalii started for qld? doesn't seem like many? He started from the bench behind thaiday in his last outing didn't he? surely he starts this year.
I don't think he has started yet. You'd think this year he's the first starting forward picked, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench again. Gillett will have one spot, and Papa is competing with Thaiday and the NQ guys for the other spot. Walters might see him providing more value to Qld as an impact middle forward? I hope not, but can see the reasoning.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If Scott wasn't injured I think you could lock Paps in for a second row spot. He'd be my first picked.

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Dane Gagai
4. Will Chambers
5. Valentine Holmes
6. Corey Norman
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Sam Thaiday
9. Cameron Smith
10. Dylan Napa
11. Matt Gillett
12. Josh Papalii
13. Josh McGuire

14. Michael Morgan
15. Gavin Cooper
16. Coen Hess
17. Jarrod Wallace (mostly based off his fantastic game against the broncs)

The forwards left out:
Jacob Lillyman
Scott Bolton
Nate Myles
Aidan Guerra

Not a lot of inspiration there.... Those last 2 should never really be in the conversation again.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I think you'll find Papalii will play front row for Qld with Scott and Napa out injured.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Can they afford to limit his minutes though?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote:I think you'll find Papalii will play front row for Qld with Scott and Napa out injured.
Yeah he's probably coming off the bench (with cooper to start) into the front row given how light their bench is.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He'll start at prop I think. They've lost their 2 most important middle third forwards so they'll put him there to cover for that.

Papalii
Smith
McGuire
Thaiday
Gillett
Guerra

Morgan
Napa (if fit)
Hess (as Thaiday playing 80 is iffy)
Lillyman/Wallace/Bolton
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah Papalii plays middle in SOO

The emergence of Hess means they don't need Papalii to be in the back row and his size means he's very capable of being a middle
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He played second row in his second stints last year and it was probably when QLDs attack looked it's best. I reckon they will do similar.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarryd Hayne returns for injury-hit Gold Coast Titans in time for State of Origin audition

Jarryd Hayne is poised to make his comeback just in time to remind potential suitors – and State of Origin selectors – what he is capable of. Gold Coast have named Hayne in jersey No.18 as part of an extended bench for Saturday's away encounter with Cronulla. Hayne hasn't played since suffering an ankle injury against Newcastle in round two, with the injury-hit Titans claiming just one victory in his absence.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... vn4bd.html

NRL season 2017: Josh Dugan to use Anzac Day clash to prove his Origin worth: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... vn4lw.html
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

On the couch with sterlo Ennis says Bird is the best centre in the game ahahahaha

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't know what else Joey Leilua needs to do to demonstrate he's good enough to play for the Kangaroos. On On the Couch with Sterlo, Ennis and Parker both shook their heads and said... good player but... grumble, grumble. Then Ennis says, call me biased, but Jack Bird is the best right centre in the game.

They honestly rathered Dugan at centre, when in the Four Nations he was terribly average.

This is what Parker said exactly: "As devastating as a ball runner that we've all seen BJ, I don't think he's a green and gold centre just yet. In that team, he'll fit and he'll go OK because of the players around him. I just think there's better players in that position."
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

What Joey has to do to demonstrate he's good enough to play for the Kangaroos is buy a ski mask and a crowbar and in the dead of night use the crowbar to break the legs of literally every other centre in the game, including those who can play in the centres but play elsewhere currently and also all the centres in the lower grades.

Then, and only then, will he maybe get another invite to the emerging blues camp.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

...or he just has to sink a couple of cruisers on a roof somewhere
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

CJR wrote:On the couch with sterlo Ennis says Bird is the best centre in the game ahahahaha

I don't think it is the most ludicrous notion a pundit has put forward.
CJR
Brett Mullins

Post by CJR »

It's not the best either

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Given the Broncos pulled out the big bucks for bird it means he must be the best centre in the game.... Surely!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

julian87 wrote:
CJR wrote:On the couch with sterlo Ennis says Bird is the best centre in the game ahahahaha

I think Bird is in the top 3 along with Leilua and Croker. All 3 are different styles of players so it depends what you want from a player.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Post by Green Jamey »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Morgan hasn't been very good since 2015 IMO

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I agree. No question over his talent, just his desire/heart.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

My Blues team would be

1. Tedesco
2. Wighton
3. Bird
4. Leilua
5. Troboyvic
6. Austin
7. Maloney
8. Woods
9. Wallace
10. Paulo
11. Cordner (c)
12. Graham
13. Frizell

14. Peachey
15. Merrin
16. Klemmer
17. Boyd
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote:
julian87 wrote:

I think Bird is in the top 3 along with Leilua and Croker. All 3 are different styles of players so it depends what you want from a player.
If you classify Bird as a centre then I'd go along with those as the stand out top 3. On 2017 form Gagai is up there too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ and Boyd didn't do their selection chances much good last night
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gangrenous wrote:BJ and Boyd didn't do their selection chances much good last night Image
I'm afraid Boyd hasn't hit his straps yet.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

gangrenous wrote:BJ and Boyd didn't do their selection chances much good last night Image
That shouldn't matter.
NSW have been bog for 10 yrs and something NEEDS to change.
BJ is the best right centre in the game, if not picked Laurie is done......
Boyd will make the 17 imo....unless Laurie is on the mushrooms.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Are you suggesting current form will impact NSW selections? Since when did that start happening? :shock:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Since Raiders
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

My opinion on this has changed 100 times since the season started, but Hayne has to be in the NSW team. He looked a class above last night after a month or so off and still not being 100% fit.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance

Post by Organised Chaos »

DJ89 wrote:My opinion on this has changed 100 times since the season started, but Hayne has to be in the NSW team. He looked a class above last night after a month or so off and still not being 100% fit.

Great, 1 decent game in 10. Yep pick him for NSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Jinxed wrote:
DJ89 wrote:My opinion on this has changed 100 times since the season started, but Hayne has to be in the NSW team. He looked a class above last night after a month or so off and still not being 100% fit.

There are certain players that you pick regardless of form. Given the circumstances here are a little unusual. Still, he can do anything and easily win you a game.
Organised Chaos
Dean Lance

Post by Organised Chaos »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Jinxed wrote:

There are certain players that you pick regardless of form. Given the circumstances here are a little unusual. Still, he can do anything and easily win you a game.
Nope, this is why NSW loose, they pick and stick and hold incumbents forever...Hayne is a no for me, 10 games since he came back, 1 decent game after two years out. No, maybe next year if he is showing consistency.

For the love of god, stop doing the same thing over and over if it's not working.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Jinxed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Jinxed wrote:

Nope, this is why NSW loose, they pick and stick and hold incumbents forever...Hayne is a no for me, 10 games since he came back, 1 decent game after two years out. No, maybe next year if he is showing consistency.

For the love of god, stop doing the same thing over and over if it's not working.

Completely disagree. NSW lose because Queensland have some exceptional talent. Of all the players lining up for NSW in the last decade, Hayne is about the only one that you'd consider an exceptional talent. You always pick that guy. NSW have remained loyal to some slightly above average players to their detriment. Hayne is head and shoulders above those guys.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Jinxed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Jinxed wrote:

NSW pick and stick?? We've had about 100 halves combination in the past decade.

Seeing as Walker, Ferguson and Dugan were all there last year, I'm not finding it hard to squeeze Hayne into the line up.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Tbh I cant believe picking Hayne is even being disputed. Seems people have some pretty short memories. I couldn't give a rats about his club form. Anyone ever see the guy play Origin? He grows another arm and a leg and steps up every single **** time. He's one of the only players NSW possess that can win a game or series on his own - something that's he proven.

He's one of the first players picked for me, form or no form. Completely shooting ourselves in the foot if he's not there.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Agree. He's a very complete player. His ball playing last night in particular was very good.

RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

2017 State of Origin

Post by RTW »

afgtnk wrote:Tbh I cant believe picking Hayne is even being disputed. Seems people have some pretty short memories. I couldn't give a rats about his club form. Anyone ever see the guy play Origin? He grows another arm and a leg and steps up every single **** time. He's one of the only players NSW possess that can win a game or series on his own - something that's he proven.

He's one of the first players picked for me, form or no form. Completely shooting ourselves in the foot if he's not there.

It has been a while since I have wrote this but 100% agree with you on this one alphabet!