2017 World Club Challenge

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Super League (Europe) is pleased to announce the identity of the four clubs from the Betfred Super League and NRL Telstra Premiership which will contest the Dacia World Club Series in 2017.

Super League Champions Wigan Warriors and League Leaders Shield winners Warrington Wolves will represent the Betfred Super League against 2016 NRL Champions, Cronulla Sutherland Sharks and six-time NRL Premiership winners the Brisbane Broncos in the two game series next February.

The action will kick off on Saturday February 18 when Warrington Wolves host Brisbane Broncos at the Halliwell Jones Stadium at 8pm. The Dacia World Club Challenge will then follow on Sunday February 19, when Wigan Warriors host the Sharks at the DW Stadium at 3pm. Both Dacia World Club Series games will be shown live on Sky Sports.

Super League General Manager, Mark Foster, said: "We are pleased to welcome Cronulla and Brisbane to the UK to take part in the 2017 Dacia World Club Series.

"The 2016 Dacia World Club Series delivered some great rugby and I believe the 2017 Series will produce two games that will provide great entertainment for Rugby League fans. We have worked hard with the NRL to produce a series that will not only excite fans but one that also allows all clubs in the NRL to have a full pre-season."

Following extensive work and discussion between Super League (Europe) and the NRL, the Dacia World Club Series will see a reduction from six to four competing teams in 2017. This is due in a small part to the unique nature of a World Cup year but also to accommodate the need for each club in the NRL to have a full pre-season fixture list prior to the start of their season.

Mark Foster, continued: "The Super League and its clubs have always been very supportive of international club rugby and the benefits it brings. If we are to continue to grow the sport to reach new audiences then we all need to work together to continue to produce these wonderful occasions. Cronulla and Brisbane have shown their commitment to doing this and the value that they place in taking part in the series and we are excited to welcome them to these shores in February."

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, said: "There was always enormous interest in the World Club Series and it would be no different in 2017 with the Sharks appearing for the first time."

Shane Flanagan, Cronulla Sharks Head Coach, said: "To have the chance to play over in the UK, for a World Club Championship, is a great opportunity and one our Club is really looking forward to. Then add to that the challenge of playing Wigan, one of the strongest and most famous clubs in the Super League and it will definitely be an outstanding experience."

Shaun Wane, Wigan Warriors Head Coach, said: "We are excited to welcome the Cronulla Sharks to the DW Stadium in February. They are a quality side who have shown that when under pressure they can come up with their very best rugby. Playing against the very best that the NRL has to offer will offer this squad a big test, but it is one I am confident they will rise to. We came very close to beating the Brisbane Broncos two years ago and the squad are very motivated to do well against Cronulla and hopefully win the World Club Challenge for the fourth time ever next year."

Tickets for the 2017 World Club Series will go on sale on Wednesday November 2 directly from both Super League clubs, Wigan Warriors and Warrington Wolves.

Super League media
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: 2017 World Club Challenge

Post by Rick »

Were Broncos not the first club to come out and say they would not play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Originally, they said no, but I think Bennett intervened and finally they and St George were the only ones who said they would play.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks name World Club Challenge squad

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan today announced a 20-man squad to travel to the UK for their Dacia World Club Challenge match against English champions Wigan on February 19.

Sharks World Club Challenge Squad

Jack Bird
Jesse Raimen
Gerard Beale
Ricky Leutele
Kurt Capewell
James Maloney
Chad Townsend
Paul Gallen
Wade Graham
Luke Lewis
Andrew Fifita
Matt Prior
Chris Heighington
Jeremy Latimore
Jayson Bukuya
Daniel Mortimer
Fa’amanu Brown
Jayden Brailey
Joseph Paulo
Sam Tagataese

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/sharks-name-world-cl ... fault.aspx

Sharks begin search for new No.1: http://www.nrl.com/sharks-begin-search- ... fault.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos name World Club Series side

The Broncos will test out their batch of young front-rowers in the World Club Series after naming a 19-man squad to travel to England. Brisbane will face Warrington in their World Club Series match on February 18.

Broncos' World Club Series Squad: Jai Arrow, Darius Boyd, Herman Ese'ese, George Fai, Matt Gillett, Alex Glenn, Ben Hunt, Jordan Kahu, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, David Mead, Anthony Milford, Corey Oates, Joe Ofahengaue, Tevita Pangai Jnr, Jonus Pearson, James Roberts, Jaydn Su'A, Sam Thaiday

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/broncos-name-world-c ... fault.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan warns Wigan his team will meet fire with fire

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan says he has the players to handle Wigan if the Super League champions' emotional build-up gets the better of them in Sunday's World Club Challenge.

Flanagan was responding to the news Wigan coach Shaun Wane had called in teammates from the 1987 side that beat Manly to address his men this week.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... ubc8y.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

World Club Challenge teams:

Brisbane Broncos v Warrington Wolves, Feb 19, 6:40am AEDT , Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington

Broncos (squad): Jai Arrow, Darius Boyd, Herman Ese'ese, George Fai, Matt Gillett, Alex Glenn, Ben Hunt, Jordan Kahu, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, David Mead, Anthony Milford, Corey Oates, Joe Ofahengaue, Tevita Pangai Jnr, Jonus Pearson, James Roberts, Jaydn Su'A, Sam Thaiday.

Wolves (squad): Ryan Atkins, Matty Blythe, Kevin Brown, Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Dom Crosby, Brad Dwyer, Rhys Evans, Kurt Gidley, Jack Hughes, Tom Lineham, Harvey Livett, Declan Patton, Joe Philbin, Matty Russell, Andre Savelio, Ashton Sims, Joe Westerman, Ben Westwood.

Cronulla Sharks v Wigan Warriors, Feb 20, 1:40am AEDT, World Club Challenge, DW Stadium, Wigan

Sharks (squad): Jack Bird, Jesse Raimen, Gerard Beale, Ricky Leutele, Kurt Capewell, James Maloney, Chad Townsend, Paul Gallen, Wade Graham, Luke Lewis, Andrew Fifita, Matt Prior, Chris Heighington, Jeremy Latimore, Jayson Bukuya, Daniel Mortimer, Fa’amanu Brown, Jayden Brailey, Joseph Paulo, Sam Tagataese.

Wigan Warriors: TBC
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No idea why they bothered with the second game
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote:No idea why they bothered with the second game
Me either. I can only surmise they want more than one game on the weekend given they suspend their competition for the WCC.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos embrace World Club Series while other clubs snub chance

BRISBANE prop Josh McGuire says the Broncos players were delighted to get the call to fly to England for the World Club Series despite other NRL clubs turning their noses up at the opportunity.

Cronulla will face Wigan on Sunday for the annual battle between the NRL and Super League champions with Brisbane up against Warrington on Saturday. The tournament has been reduced to two matches, after being revamped in 2015 to feature three matches.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bronco ... 55cdcd043b

Mike Cooper shoulders responsibility for Super League's reputation: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... uc540.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hand of fate earns Daniel Mortimer World Club Series challenge with Cronulla Sharks

Had things worked out differently for Daniel Mortimer he'd have spent last Sunday playing in front of a thousand-strong crowd instead of preparing for Cronulla's World Club Series decider against Wigan.

"My contract was up at the Gold Coast and I was talking to Hull KR over here and was very close to signing. Then the Sharks came in with an offer and it didn't take me long to think about it and sign, and I am stoked to be here.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... ud1yd.html

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington savages 'apathetic' NRL over World Club Challenge and Series: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... ud1an.html

Beale set for Sharks fullback role in WCS: http://www.nrl.com/beale-set-for-sharks ... fault.aspx
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks don't want to repeat Manly Sea Eagles mistake

CRONULLA playmaker James Maloney says the fear of becoming the first NRL team in five years to lose the World Club Challenge final is all the motivation the Sharks need when facing Wigan.

“The NRL teams have done well in this over the last few years, we don’t want to be the team that lets that record slide.”

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/the-cr ... de9bbd5a43
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote:World Club Challenge teams:

Brisbane Broncos v Warrington Wolves, Feb 19, 6:40am AEDT , Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington

Broncos (squad): Jai Arrow, Darius Boyd, Herman Ese'ese, George Fai, Matt Gillett, Alex Glenn, Ben Hunt, Jordan Kahu, Andrew McCullough, Josh McGuire, David Mead, Anthony Milford, Corey Oates, Joe Ofahengaue, Tevita Pangai Jnr, Jonus Pearson, James Roberts, Jaydn Su'A, Sam Thaiday.

Wolves (squad): Ryan Atkins, Matty Blythe, Kevin Brown, Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Dom Crosby, Brad Dwyer, Rhys Evans, Kurt Gidley, Jack Hughes, Tom Lineham, Harvey Livett, Declan Patton, Joe Philbin, Matty Russell, Andre Savelio, Ashton Sims, Joe Westerman, Ben Westwood.

Cronulla Sharks v Wigan Warriors, Feb 20, 1:40am AEDT, World Club Challenge, DW Stadium, Wigan

Sharks (squad): Jack Bird, Jesse Raimen, Gerard Beale, Ricky Leutele, Kurt Capewell, James Maloney, Chad Townsend, Paul Gallen, Wade Graham, Luke Lewis, Andrew Fifita, Matt Prior, Chris Heighington, Jeremy Latimore, Jayson Bukuya, Daniel Mortimer, Fa’amanu Brown, Jayden Brailey, Joseph Paulo, Sam Tagataese.

Wigan Warriors: TBC
The first match will be live on GEM tomorrow morning in Canberra... the second live on Nine in the early hours of Monday.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Can you watch online?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dont delete this GE
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Re: 2017 trials

Post by -GD- »

Warrington on fire against the Donkeys.

Ahead 14-0 after 14 minutes.
-GD-
Don Furner

Post by -GD- »

Up 20-0 now after 18 minutes!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The ESL has already played a round. I just woke up to catch the try that took it to 20-0... but I expect the Broncos have some cobwebs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

25th min TRY BRONCOS to Corey Oates in the corner. The commentators said that the Broncos biggest comeback is 18 points (against Canberra) and they'd have to do better. I don't doubt they could. Converted Kahu from the sideline.

Wolves 20-6
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

39th min TRY WOLVES to Tom Lineham in the corner. The video referee says the ball touches the line with momentum, and his knee was not in touch.

Wolves 24-6

HALF TIME
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

44th min TRY BRONCOS to James Roberts. He runs 90m from a scrum play. That's terrible defence. Kahu converts.

Wolves 24-12
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

68th min Warrington Wolves leading 27-12 after a field goal and penalty goal.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

72nd min TRY BRONCOS to David Mead. The Wolves tried to bat the ball dead, but it wasn't enough. Kahu converts from the sideline.

Wolves 27-18
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

73rd min Wolves now kick off and it out on the full. Penalty to the Broncos on half way.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FULL TIME

Warrington Wolves 27
Brisbane Broncos 18

Warrington upset Broncos in World Club Series

The Broncos have been outmuscled by an under-manned Warrington outfit in a World Club Series clash that reached boiling point before the Wolves triumphed 27-12 at Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Warrington Wolves 27 (Kevin Brown, Ryan Atkins, Matty Russell, Tom Lineham tries; Declan Patton 5 goals, Declan Patton field goal) def. Brisbane Broncos 18 (Corey Oates, James Roberts, David Mead tries; Jordan Kahu 3 goals) at Halliwell Jones Stadium. Crowd: 12,082. Man of the match: Kevin Brown.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/warrington-upset-bro ... fault.aspx

Bennett upbeat despite Bronco defeat: http://www.nrl.com/bennett-upbeat-despi ... fault.aspx

Broncos v Warrington: Five key points: http://www.nrl.com/broncos-v-warrington ... fault.aspx
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I watched it with a massive Broncos fan. It was very satisfying!

Hunt is on a hiding to nothing this year. Most Broncos fans I know are calling for his head and would happily see him head to the Dragons a year early and if not then playing Q cup. Every minor error was massively criticised this morning.

BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Hunt and Mead were awful. Roberts had some good moments with the ball, but his defence was shocking and looked absolutely buggered at times. McCullough and Boyd are going to be very important for them this year and injuries to either or both will hurt them big time.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Hunt will cop a lot of criticism from this match and he was very poor but you wont here a bad word spoken about Milford. Despite the fact that I nearly asked why he wasn't playing the the 60th min.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

James Roberts showed his true class twice in the space of about 5 minutes. Both times running in from nowhere and trying to attack the head of an opposition player who was mid 'scuffle' and posing no threat to anyone.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

It's lots of fun seeing the Broncos lose

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sharks team for World Club Challenge

World Club Challenge – Wigan Warriors v Cronulla Sharks, DW Stadium, Monday February 20, 2am (AEDT)

Sharks team:

1. Gerard Beale
2. Jesse Ramien
3. Jack Bird
4. Ricky Leutele
5. Kurt Capewell
6. James Maloney
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
14. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Luke Lewis
12. Wade Graham
13. Paul Gallen

Interchange:
9. Fa’amanu Brown
15. Chris Heighington
16. Jayson Bukuya
17. Sam Tagataese

http://www.nrl.com/sharks-team-for-worl ... fault.aspx
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Kurt Capewell on the wing is an interesting choice.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Warrington played a surprisingly good game. Well done to them.
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

Glad to wake up to the news that the sharks lost!

-GD-
Don Furner

Post by -GD- »

Sharks lost and lost their cool during the match. Imagine my surprise!
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Both NRL teams lost. A bit unexpected seeing as how desperate they both seemed to go over

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk