2016 State of Origin III: New South Wales V Queensland

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

New South Wales 13+
7%
New South Wales 1-12
20%
Draw
No votes
Queensland 1-12
20%
Queensland 13+
53%

Total votes: 15

Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Re: 2016 State of Origin III: New South Wales V Queensland

Post by Raider Bell »

greeneyed wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:
RTW wrote:It is a hollow victory and I think it glosses over some poor selections and poor tactics throughout the series.

NSW have turned over some dead wood but there is still more changes needed.

To the QLD fans congratulations on another series win. I can admit that you truely deserve it but I do struggle with all the complaining I am seeing on social media.

No doubt the refereeing was poor but I would like to see QLD win/lose with a bit of grace. No doubt you should be used to winning the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think this thread has plenty of grace from a fair few Queenslanders.
Nothing wrong with commentating on what you think of the game but first thing I wrote was congrats to the NSW fans and I hope you enjoyed the last minute win.

I am sure you know that most people on social media are there to complain or be outraged about something. It's the modern way.

Think you're first point about the NSW team selections and gameplan are spot on though. I think they will be better next year though...
Grace. I've had a long life watching Origin and well before that too and NSW don't win with grace. Origin exists because NSW don't win with grace. NSW has a born to rule attitude. NSW think they're superior. Well guess what! This is Queensland's time and I'm bloody well enjoying it!

#QLDER
If you ask a question (like "well guess what") you should use a question mark, not an exclamation mark. Perhaps you should visit GE's grammar thread?
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

greeneyed wrote:And finally the drug cheat Gallen won't disgrace the Origin playing field ever again. An absolute grub and should have been banned from sport the last three years.
They still have Wade Graham and that bloke who refers to himself as the 7th.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

Inglis used to just be terrible at club football, but that's finally transformed into rep footy, too. He stunk. Not as bad as Dugan, a little less smelly than that.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote:And finally the drug cheat Gallen won't disgrace the Origin playing field ever again. An absolute grub and should have been banned from sport the last three years.
How would you two feel if QLD selects Norman in the next year or two? In light of recent developments?
Vanilla Bear
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Vanilla Bear »

Jennings would have to have been one of the worst players of the series, if that final try keeps him in the side next year then I'm done
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

zim wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:
DJ89 wrote:
yeh raiders wrote:JENNIGSBNBB everyone that doubted him! I knew he deserved another go .

Fergo straight passed Inglis
He was pretty woeful for two games and 79:55 minutes TBH.
Woeful? He was quiet in game 1, had a bad game 2 and came up with the match winning play which I wouldn't rely on a single other player to come up with. Class is permanent.
So on the woeful part you agree with DJ89 as far as what you are saying. Because the only classy thing, well pretty much the only thing, he did in the entire series was that last play.
And Still More than the majority of players in the NSW team.

He's a weapon, playing outside the worst halves pairing NSW have assembled. Farah regularly ignores passing it to the left. And QLD are the best defensive unit in the world, who are happy to concede a billion penalties for never getting back the 10m.

He came up with the match winning play, that I wouldn't bank on another player being able to achieve in front of 5 QLD defenders.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:
magoo wrote:Just back from the pub. Can someone please tell me what NSW selectors see in a.woods. the guy is a myth . softest frf to ever play soo. ....does anyone else think parkers cheap shot elbow will be noticed by the mrc

There where a lot of cheap shots and high shots. Parker's is about the only one we saw in slow mo. So I doubt it and it shouldn't but hey maybe Parker can be the token suspension so the NRL can feel good.
I've had numerous cans (lost count ) but it looked bad to me. I know soo is different but if it happened in a regular nrl match he'd be in trouble. Also I haven't read the thread, and I'm guessing it's been discussed, but **** was fifita thinking. Dumb dumb dumb
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

DJ89 wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:
How would you two feel if QLD selects Norman in the next year or two? In light of recent developments?
Then we would have a player who pleaded guilty to possession not use. No doubt to protect a friend. Bloody noble guy that Corey Norman.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Sooooo, what are the odds on Qld winning next year - 2-1 perhaps?

Like I give a ****. This whole fest is a waste of time and space. Of course I'll watch it, because it impacts my club (and my tipping competition, which is a minor irritant), but **** me I wish it would all just go away. If I want pathetic parochialism - er, I guess Origin sums it up.

I'm still feeling pained simply from having the nine "experts" inflicted on me.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Running around half-dead, provided 2 crucial passes which resulted in NSW tries and Kicked better than Thurston! Great game from an amazing Origin Warrior
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:
DJ89 wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:
Then we would have a player who pleaded guilty to possession not use. No doubt to protect a friend. Bloody noble guy that Corey Norman.
:lol:

Witty. I like that.

Man I hope he gets selected so I can remind GE every stinking game.
Rads1984
Brett Mullins

Post by Rads1984 »

magoo wrote:Just back from the pub. Can someone please tell me what NSW selectors see in a.woods. the guy is a myth . softest frf to ever play soo. ....does anyone else think parkers cheap shot elbow will be noticed by the mrc
Woods did 21 hit-ups for 170m and made 22 tackles without missing one. I personally think he isn't too bad.

Josh Jackson on the other hand...
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

Raider Bell wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:
RTW wrote:It is a hollow victory and I think it glosses over some poor selections and poor tactics throughout the series.

NSW have turned over some dead wood but there is still more changes needed.

To the QLD fans congratulations on another series win. I can admit that you truely deserve it but I do struggle with all the complaining I am seeing on social media.

No doubt the refereeing was poor but I would like to see QLD win/lose with a bit of grace. No doubt you should be used to winning the series.

Think this thread has plenty of grace from a fair few Queenslanders.
Nothing wrong with commentating on what you think of the game but first thing I wrote was congrats to the NSW fans and I hope you enjoyed the last minute win.

I am sure you know that most people on social media are there to complain or be outraged about something. It's the modern way.

Think you're first point about the NSW team selections and gameplan are spot on though. I think they will be better next year though...
Grace. I've had a long life watching Origin and well before that too and NSW don't win with grace. Origin exists because NSW don't win with grace. NSW has a born to rule attitude. NSW think they're superior. Well guess what! This is Queensland's time and I'm bloody well enjoying it!

#QLDER
If you ask a question (like "well guess what") you should use a question mark, not an exclamation mark. Perhaps you should visit GE's grammar thread?
It has been a long time since I was at Uni but I think you will find it depends on the context. Ge did not pause to allow for guesses. His use was clearly not to invite a response but perhaps more of a imperative sentence. Either way I prefer usage with a question mark but I would not assume to be the authority of the usage of guess what!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Archer wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:So, he w do the Queensland supporters feel about losing to a bunch of morons with no halfback? :lol:
Did we watch the same game Seiff? I'm happy we even came close.
Yep. NSW obviously didn't do themselves any favours with some of their team selections and a few dumb plays down the stretch. They were bloody lucky to pull that one out of the fire.
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

DJ89 wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:
DJ89 wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:
:lol:

Witty. I like that.

Man I hope he gets selected so I can remind GE every stinking game.
Thank you. Took me a second to think of an answer. :)
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

NSW never gave up. Momentum swung throughout the game.

Great way to end the series, and create 'buzz' for next year.

Congrats to QLD on the series victory. A few players might need to graciously take a step back, and let some younger players take over.

For those saying Norman will be in line to debut next year or the year after, this indiscretion will put him at the end of the queue. Morgan, Milford, Mbye surely ahead.
Last edited by ALX22 on July 13, 2016, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Jack
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

Post by Big Jack »

Queensland's dirty little secret is that they realise they're no longer the side they were four or five years ago, and that's why they do everything they can to stop a game of football breaking out. The 12-3 penalty count was not poor refereeing - it's was a reflection of Queensland's very deliberate tactics throughout this series to spoil at every opportunity.
Only problem was, NSW (and the coach has to wear most of the blame) were too slow to work it out. Their tactics were poor, and the reliance on set plays in attack played right into Queensland's ageing hands.
When NSW did play a bit of football, like the short offload to Frizell or long pass, short pass to a running Fergo, they managed some points.
If Daley is to stay on as a Meninga-style clash, he needs some better football brains in his support staff - like Meninga had with Hagan. Matt Parish is not the answer
Last edited by Big Jack on July 13, 2016, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

Rads1984 wrote:
Woods did 21 hit-ups for 170m and made 22 tackles without missing one. I personally think he isn't too bad.

Woods would do better just to get up and play the ball. He can get fast play the balls but seems to constantly try for a penalty. Yes he got one tonight (holding onto Scott's jersey) but 1 for the series isn't a good strike rate. He isn't really intimidating at all, doesn't seem to hit with much punch.... but hey maybe he does and it just doesn't look it. Think he is probably the best option they have.
magoo
Brett Mullins

Post by magoo »

Rads1984 wrote:

Alcohol might be affecting my judgment, but I can't remember him once charging onto the ball and denting the defense. Not just tonight but every game. Yes Jackson was poor. When he went over the touchline was laughable. Moylan was poor also.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

How about when Blake Ferguson made that line break, playing the position he's actually meant to be playing. Completely stood up GI

And James Tedesco 26 runs for 250m. Incredible
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

Big Jack wrote:Queensland's dirty little secret is that they realise they're no longer the side they were four or five years ago, and that's why they do everything they can to stop a game of football breaking out. The 12-3 penalty count was not poor refereeing - it's was a reflection of Queensland's very deliberate tactics throughout this series to spoil at every opportunity.
Only problem was, NSW (and the coach has to wear most of the blame) were too slow to work it out. Their tactics were poor, and the reliance on set plays in attack played right into Queensland's ageing hands.
When NSW did play a bit of football, like the short offload to Frizell or long pass, short pass to a running Fergo, they managed some points.
If Daley is to stay on as a Meninga-style clash, he needs some better football brains in his support staff - like Meninga had with Hagan. Matt Parish is not the answer

A game of quick play the balls use to heavily favour QLD and NSW did everything to stop it. Now the pendulum has swung back the other way a bit.
However it is no secret that QLD aren't the team they were 4 years ago.
The real issue is NSW are - hence the series result.
Big Jack
Brett Mullins

Post by Big Jack »

Don't worry about his stats, Woods' air swing when he tried jumping on the NSW huddle after Jennings' try was comedy gold. If you didn't see it, go looking for the video. That should be enough for him to keep his spot for next year
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

To the Queenslander's enjoy another series win. Are we saying two in a row ? or 10 from 11? I'll go with 10 from 11.

To the blues fans enjoy the win.....

Night all. Thanks for the banter.
magoo
Brett Mullins

Post by magoo »

Big Jack wrote:Don't worry about his stats, Woods' air swing when he tried jumping on the NSW huddle after Jennings' try was comedy gold. If you didn't see it, go looking for the video. That should be enough for him to keep his spot for next year
Haha yeah I noticed that. Gotta great laugh from the boy's at the local
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Big Jack wrote:Queensland's dirty little secret is that they realise they're no longer the side they were four or five years ago, and that's why they do everything they can to stop a game of football breaking out. The 12-3 penalty count was not poor refereeing - it's was a reflection of Queensland's very deliberate tactics throughout this series to spoil at every opportunity.
Hi BJ (or should I spell that out?) on that bit above I bolded, do you really think there was a reliance on actual set plays - as in, jeez was that a set play at all? - or was it a a consequence of the type of football that the coach expected them to play when he picked Farah at d/h and Maloney to be the creative brains? I'm asking because I didn't really see that NSW had any particular set plays, or much structure for that matter, and they seemed to me to be more like a team that thought "If I put THAT bloke in THAT position, they've done such-and-such before, they'll do it again" and disregarded the supporting staff, or plans to make it so, so to speak.

Actually now I think about it, I guess it shows how much NSW miss both a good coaching structure, and players who are around long enough to actually put plans into practice.

So I suppose my question should be, do you reckon that when NSW played a bit of football, was it because they finally remembered their coaching, or because they finally forgot it?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Tedesco, Frizzell and J Bird the only genuinely good news to come out of that series for NSW. Still some seriously big questions to answer in the 9, 7 and most of the 3/4's.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sun Coast Raider wrote:To the Queenslander's enjoy another series win. Are we saying two in a row ? or 10 from 11? I'll go with 10 from 11.

Yes it's 10/11.

I laugh at the Blues team "honouring" a self admitted drug cheat as he retires. I also like how he goes on about Queenslanders having two heads. I'm sure I'd rather have two heads than one head like his.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote:
Sun Coast Raider wrote:To the Queenslander's enjoy another series win. Are we saying two in a row ? or 10 from 11? I'll go with 10 from 11.

Yes it's 10/11.

I laugh at the Blues team "honouring" a self admitted drug cheat as he retires. I also like how he goes on about Queenslanders having two heads. I'm sure I'd rather have two heads than one head like his.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:

Yes it's 10/11.

it's 1 from 1 games in a row.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Big Jack
Brett Mullins

Post by Big Jack »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Hi BJ (or should I spell that out?) on that bit above I bolded, do you really think there was a reliance on actual set plays - as in, jeez was that a set play at all? - or was it a a consequence of the type of football that the coach expected them to play when he picked Farah at d/h and Maloney to be the creative brains? I'm asking because I didn't really see that NSW had any particular set plays, or much structure for that matter, and they seemed to me to be more like a team that thought "If I put THAT bloke in THAT position, they've done such-and-such before, they'll do it again" and disregarded the supporting staff, or plans to make it so, so to speak.

Actually now I think about it, I guess it shows how much NSW miss both a good coaching structure, and players who are around long enough to actually put plans into practice.

So I suppose my question should be, do you reckon that when NSW played a bit of football, was it because they finally remembered their coaching, or because they finally forgot it?
Probably a bit from Column A and a bit from Column B. Every attacking raid inside Queensland's 20 seemed to be a shift to the left with a couple of block runners that ended up with a winger running out of room and getting bundled into touch.
The infuriating that was that Queensland used the same play, but they actually managed to produce a couple of tries through the series. Thurston's class was the difference
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Maloney's dummy and run was fairly effective against qld defence tonight. Makes me wonder how Austin would go.

Big Jack
Brett Mullins

Post by Big Jack »

Seiffert82 wrote:Tedesco, Frizzell and J Bird the only genuinely good news to come out of that series for NSW. Still some seriously big questions to answer in the 9, 7 and most of the 3/4's.
Hooker is a big problem - I really hope Peats keeps getting better because I don't know where we go after him (I'm disregarding Farah and Ennis).
As for 7, I think Reynolds is light years ahead of any other options and should be locked in fir a three-year run. Only injury stopped him playing last year and injury stopped him playing tonight so, unfortunately, he only has two games to his credit instead of a possible six. Still, our best bet us to stick with him as our best option.
I like Moylan - maybe six will be his spot with Bird in the centres - and I'd love to see Shannon Boyd get a start next year.
I'd also like to see Tyrone Peachey in the bench
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

State of Origin is more and more of a chore to watch every year. Mostly, this series was a punish to sit through, even as a queenslander. I don't know what it is but its nowhere near as exciting of high quality as it used to be.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

No injuries other than Dugan to come out of tonight?

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Inglis, Parker and Fifita all facing suspension.