2016 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
47%
Maroons 1-12
26%
Draw
5%
Blues 1-12
16%
Blues 13+
5%

Total votes: 19

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2016 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by Botman »

Yeah Boyd is playing good footy and he's a excellent fullback and fits well in this Queensland structure
But he's not Teddy. Teddy is definitely a better footballer IMO
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Sun Coast Raider »

greeneyed wrote:This post match is clearly all about NSW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post match wouldn't be worth watching if not for Gould and Johns being completely dumbfounded. Gould spent half the game saying NSW were on top.
At least this time he won't say that NSW didn't get beaten.
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

Pigman wrote:
DJ89 wrote:The worst thing about all this is that there is 0% chance Daley swollows his pride and drops Walker and Moylan.
If only that were true. As a dude with no dog in the fight, as ive been telling people for years, the actual worse thing is this doesnt matter at all
if he swallows his pride and drops those dudes, it doesnt fix the problems at halfback, 5/8th and hooker. Which is where games like this are won and lost. JT had the ball on a string tonight. Cam Smith was... well, Cam Smith.

You guys dont have those guys, or anyone near those guys. Until that changes, well, you're just praying for Hayne to save the day once in 11 series.
And the only reason NSW has had a single win in the last three years is Cronk getting hurt. Cronk breaking his arm in 2014 saved Origin. Without that we'd be looking at Qld winning their third straight 3-0.
I won't be surprised if there's plenty of empty seats at ANZ for game 3. And if Qld go on another winning run there'll be more in years to come.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

DJ89 wrote:
Two games in a row he has come up with glaring mistakes.

Last game it was dropped balls and this game he got driven back what must have been 10 meters into the in goal and then for Gagai's third try his positioning was pretty woeful.

There is no way he is NSW's number 1 fullback.
Getting driven back in goal is not a mistake.

His positioning was not the issue for the Gagai try IMO, NSW's left edge was at fault, as per the whole game really.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Papa please play like tonight against the Titans!! Papa all the way!!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

Pigman wrote:Yeah Boyd is playing good footy and he's a excellent fullback and fits well in this Queensland structure
But he's not Teddy. Teddy is definitely a better footballer IMO
Individual brilliance. Agree.
Consistency and reliability. Maybe one day.

The real Question is who else, other than Tedesco, do NSW have outside the team that should be given a chance for game III?

I know you say noone anywhere near the Maroons spine and I agree but who is worth a punt...
Sun Coast Raider
Brett Mullins

greeneyed wrote:Cameron Smith is man of the match.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very deserved too.

Loved JT tonight and Big Papa off the bench but Smith was again top shelf.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

julian87 wrote:
DJ89 wrote:
Pigman wrote:
DJ89 wrote:The worst thing about all this is that there is 0% chance Daley swollows his pride and drops Walker and Moylan.
If only that were true. As a dude with no dog in the fight, as ive been telling people for years, the actual worse thing is this doesnt matter at all
if he swallows his pride and drops those dudes, it doesnt fix the problems at halfback, 5/8th and hooker. Which is where games like this are won and lost. JT had the ball on a string tonight. Cam Smith was... well, Cam Smith.

You guys dont have those guys, or anyone near those guys. Until that changes, well, you're just praying for Hayne to save the day once in 11 series.
I know that QLD team is **** legendary, but the only reason they are unbeatable is because NSW beat themselves. Yes the **** play from halves contributes, but if we had a dangerous fullback with some power (Dugan / Tedesco) and someone that could physically question GI (Leilua) both these games could have turned in NSW favour.

Daley has wasted 1-2 spots in both games. You can't do that at SOO level.
I don't agree with Moylan being the issue at all.
Really?

I mean, we won the series with another fullback (Hayne), who was the most dominant player in recent years at Origin level.

Moylan is fundamentally poor. His positioning stinks. He rarely gets a set off on the front foot. He's not fast/explosive. He's easily contained by Thurston who is far and away the worst defender on the park. QLD aren't afraid of him. And with all that in mind, we continue to try and run 2nd man plays which rely on having a gun fullback who is considered a threat to the defensive line .. Which Moylan clearly isn't.
Last edited by yeh raiders on June 22, 2016, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gould: "NSW hasn't cultivated that person, and they've had to live in the shadow of the leadership that we've got. And the leadership has been very selfish, and very domineering, and it hasn't allowed the team to grow."

Take that Paul Gallen! Right between the eyes.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

julian87 wrote:
DJ89 wrote:

Last game it was dropped balls and this game he got driven back what must have been 10 meters into the in goal and then for Gagai's third try his positioning was pretty woeful.

His positioning was not the issue for the Gagai try IMO, NSW's left edge was at fault, as per the whole game really.
I thought he needed to find the turf. Most good fullbacks wouldn't have ended up in goal from that position. It's not like it was two big forwards driving him back, from memory it was Thurston and Smith.

Yeah I'm not sure if I didn't watch that properly, but a dinky little kick behind the line is usually a fullback or wingers responsibility. I'm not saying Moylan was woeful tonight, but I do think there are better options for game three at FB.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

greeneyed wrote:Image

There you go Reptar.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Wow, this was superb work GE.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

Great game tonight. So much more enjoyable than Origin I. Laurie has picked a horrible team and stuck with a bunch of out of form and proven losers. The guys he's given chances to have been the wrong guys. Dylan Walker is never going to be a good Origin player. Not dangerous enough to compensate that he is a dwarf up against Inglis and he got completely dominated because of it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

greeneyed wrote:Gould: "NSW hasn't cultivated that person, and they've had to live in the shadow of the leadership that we've got. And the leadership has been very selfish, and very domineering, and it hasn't allowed the team to grow."

Sounds a lot like Robbie Farah to me
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Northern Raider wrote:Now the series is over do NSW decide to play risky players like BJ and Cartwright?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Daley won't. That would be to admit defeat, and admit he was wrong.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

greeneyed wrote:Image

There you go Reptar.
Haha well played!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

B_D_M raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Gould: "NSW hasn't cultivated that person, and they've had to live in the shadow of the leadership that we've got. And the leadership has been very selfish, and very domineering, and it hasn't allowed the team to grow."

Think it's both..
Hope that's the last we see of Farah, Gallen, G. Bird and Jennings in the NSW side..

but knowing how crap the NSW selectors are, they'd be the first pick for the last game

I thought NSW look to be on the verge of something good.. just need to cull some of the older dead weights that keeps getting selected.. need to start picking players who are in form
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Congratulations to Qld on taking yet another series. Once again possession told with Qld having 55% of the ball although this time they were aided by the NSW players fumbling efforts as the 73% completions against the 83% for Qld told, in not being able to apply enough pressure.

A special word for Dane Gagai who scored 3 tries. I have seen him play for Newcastle this year at fullback and thought he would be a weak link. His tap back to Maloney who then ran away to score was more like his Newcastle form. His 5 missed tackles against Nth Qld recently and 8 missed tackles against Cronulla a few weeks prior to that was not evident in tonights performance. Well done young man.

For NSW Tyson Frizell played well as did Aaron Woods. Papa continued his great form for Qld and so did Parker in his last match. Darius Boyd reads the play and executes so well as did the rest of the Qld spine. One more game to play in the series. I think Gallen will get a final match in front of his home crowd, but there are a number in the Blues line up tonight who just didn't seem to want to be there. I am a fan this year of the Titans Ryan James. He would add more aggression to the Blues. So would Josh Reynolds in the halves. Cartwright to the bench would also be a positive imo.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

DJ89 wrote:
julian87 wrote:
DJ89 wrote:

I thought he needed to find the turf. Most good fullbacks wouldn't have ended up in goal from that position. It's not like it was two big forwards driving him back, from memory it was Thurston and Smith.

Yeah I'm not sure if I didn't watch that properly, but a dinky little kick behind the line is usually a fullback or wingers responsibility. I'm not saying Moylan was woeful tonight, but I do think there are better options for game three at FB.
I don't think Moylan was bad tonight..
Though if all possible selections are fit... he's not NSW's best choise at fullback.. that would be Tedesco.. which is a shame for Moylan, i think he's a great player - but Tedesco is a better fullback
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Jennings unfortunately had a shocker. But he's at least still capable. As is Josh Morris (referring to his big game 1 error). Both I can forgive.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Moylan doesn't have the physicality needed for Origin.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

yeh raiders wrote:Jennings unfortunately had a shocker. But he's at least still capable. As is Josh Morris (referring to his big game 1 error). Both I can forgive.
I think Jennings is past it.. I'm more inclined to persist with Walker than with Jennings - both are similar in that at their best, both have blistering speed. Going forward tho, I'd stick with Walker (not sure if which side of the field they play matters)
Morris I thought got screwed by Daley and I blame the bad performance in the first game to a poor preparation due to being jerked around. If fit, I dont mind him being in contention for a spot if his form warrants it.

I thought Jack Bird looked dangerous with the ball in hand, and did not look over awed for a debutant - let alone debuting for NSW at Suncorp, and being forced to wait until QLD had the upperhand before getting on the field.

Highly commend Frizel for that chase on Gagai.. and just over all, great game from him.

I was applauding Fergo as well for that chase on Gagai (as much I loathe to applaude hime), but then he did himself no favour defending against Oates's try... got stuck in the middle clutching at nothing... would've preferred he made a decision to either go for oate or go for Boyd (?), but not looking lost in between and then pointing in hope there was some penalty to disallow the try
rusty83
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by rusty83 »

Daley has to go.
It was obvious to me Moylan was not cut out for origin after game 1. Rather than making the tough decision to cut him he chose to soft option of staying loyal and we got punished for it.

I yearn for a coach who just picks our best side for once. Over the years we have had no many rubbish selections that have cost us series; Jamie Buhrer, Nathan Merritt, Will Hopoate, David Williams, Dean Young etc. BJ and Tedesco are the type of caliber of players you need to beat QLD, instead Laurie pins our hopes on ballerina Moylan, Walker and a couple of penalties in front of goal.

Every year the brains trust of NSW comes together to figure out an attack plan to beat QLD, and every year it fails because they can't get basic selection and tactics right. Nothing ever changes.
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

Pigman wrote:
the real LOL is reserved for NSW fans who think it makes a lick of difference who they pick
There isnt a halves and hooker combination capable of standing up to the QLD spine. NSW just arent very good in the spots that matter. That simple.
Teddy, BJ and Bryce might turn a game here and there but they arent going to change the tide

QLD are going to win and keep winning until NSW find a spine capable of our playing Smith-JT-Cronk-Boyd
and into the future Boyd/Morgan-Milford-Hunt-Granville

Best of luck with that
Throw in Cameron Munster, Ashley Taylor and James Segayaro as possible future spine players as well
rusty83
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Austin

Post by rusty83 »

greeneyed wrote:Moylan doesn't have the physicality needed for Origin.
How hard is this for selectors to understand? Americans would size a guy like Moylan up in 5 seconds and figure out he's not cut out for Origin. Good club for doesn't translate into good Origin form, you need toughness, grit and strength just to qualify, Moylan has none of these qualities. It was stark in game 1, but Daley being the nice, loyal guy he is decided loyalty is more important than ability.

We need a coach who doesn't shirk the hard decisions and I'm afraid Laurie is too soft and too much of a nice guy for origin.
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

Did Moylan chase any of those bombs. That's what he does so well for Penrith. Puts crazy pressure on the catchers.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

rusty83 wrote:
How hard is this for selectors to understand? Americans would size a guy like Moylan up in 5 seconds and figure out he's not cut out for Origin. Good club for doesn't translate into good Origin form, you need toughness, grit and strength just to qualify, Moylan has none of these qualities. It was stark in game 1, but Daley being the nice, loyal guy he is decided loyalty is more important than ability.

We need a coach who doesn't shirk the hard decisions and I'm afraid Laurie is too soft and too much of a nice guy for origin.
:lol: Judging Origin effectiveness based on physical traits.... that'll do me...

I'm sure years ago people would've thought "Who's this guy? He's too small, too skinny to be effective in State of Origin.. I bet you this Thurston kid wouldnt even last a series.."
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:How proud are we to be Queenslanders, Queenslanders?!
Very, very proud today. I must point out once again too, that as awesome as it was, the atmosphere at Lang Park is nothing in a game 2 compared to a decider, absolutely nothing.

Don't get me wrong, the crowd was fantastic and got the boys home, but at a decider the hairs on my neck stand up.

I also agree with those that think the selectors do NSW no favours at all with their continual ridiculous selection policies. It's almost like they purposefully pick the worst players they can.

And finally, how good was Dane Gagai?? Our so called weak link?? Good times
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2016 State of Origin II: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by The Nickman »

Also, there can't be still people out there who don't "rate" Darius Boyd after he got man of the match Game 1, tore the raiders a new **** two weeks ago and then backed it up with another strong performance last night can there??

Haha I remember being mocked on this very site before origin when slater got injured and Inglis ruled himself out of playing fullback.

Boyd is easily the best fullback in the game right now. You can keep your Tedescos and Moylans and hahahahahaha Dugans
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Gee this QLD origin coaching gig is easy.

I might apply.

As for the Blues, try again when Smith, Thurston Cronk and co have well and truely retired.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Tedesco, BJ, and Cartwright need to be in the next lineup. They are the most dangerous players in their positions right now. If Dugan is fit, he marks Inglis and walker pisses back off the manly. If not, Bird to start, he looked good last night. Fergo is not a winger and is showing that consistently with bad high ball reads and positional play.
Paulo off the bench for Fafita, more impact, less ****.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

The Nickman wrote:Also, there can't be still people out there who don't "rate" Darius Boyd after he got man of the match Game 1, tore the raiders a new **** two weeks ago and then backed it up with another strong performance last night can there??

Haha I remember being mocked on this very site before origin when slater got injured and Inglis ruled himself out of playing fullback.

Boyd is easily the best fullback in the game right now. You can keep your Tedescos and Moylans and hahahahahaha Dugans
Very impressed with Boyd. Slater is the best fullback to play the game, so not having him play was a blow, but Boyd filled in admirably and minimised his absence very well.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Aero wrote:
rusty83 wrote:

:lol: Judging Origin effectiveness based on physical traits.... that'll do me...

I'm sure years ago people would've thought "Who's this guy? He's too small, too skinny to be effective in State of Origin.. I bet you this Thurston kid wouldnt even last a series.."
Thurston is a half. Its a position of finesse not physicality.

Moylan's club future is probably in the halves and ATM if he is in the origin side he should be on the bench, where he can use his skills against tired legs.

As for the rest of the NSW backline. Josh in for Adam. Dugan, BJ and Teddy in for Walker, Bird and Jennings. Bird was ok but there is no way he brings the physicality, speed and game breaking ability that Dugan, BJ and Teddy.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

And how late was kickoff last night ?

And how long was the half time break ?

Is there a good reason why origin can't start at 7pm. Does Tracey Grimshaw have that much pull at ch9 that we have to sit through A Current Affair before the game. I can remember back in the 90s having to watch Burkes Backyard on Friday nights before getting a delayed telecast of FNF.

Am I alone here ? Does this crap annoy anyone else ? Or do I need to take a chill pill ?

It's rubbish, pure rubbish from ch9.... :rant
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Big Jack
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

Post by Big Jack »

Aero wrote:
B_D_M raider wrote:

Think it's both..
Hope that's the last we see of Farah, Gallen, G. Bird and Jennings in the NSW side..

but knowing how crap the NSW selectors are, they'd be the first pick for the last game

I thought NSW look to be on the verge of something good.. just need to cull some of the older dead weights that keeps getting selected.. need to start picking players who are in form
I think I agree and disagree with Gould. I said after Game One that it was time to move on Gallen and Bird to bring in some serious aggro like Ryan James or Shannon Boyd (both if you drop Tamou after that effort) plus some skill in the back row like Cartwright but it was never going to happen.
But Gallen and Bird don't select themselves - that's the mistake of the selectors. If Gould is calling Gallen and Bird (and maybe Farah) selfish then he's missed the mark. They're the same players and the same people they've been for a decade so no-one should expect them to change now. Of course, they'll be given a farewell match in Sydney and we'll have completely wasted one more game and one more year.
I think Moylan is worth keeping as he'll continue to improve and while our halves can never hope to match Queensland's, I see no better options around. Reynolds is head and shoulders above every other NSW half-back and while you might mount an argument for Josh Reynolds or Blake Austin at five-eighth, that would just be change for change's sake which helps no-one.
I say again that Peachey should be the 14 - dump Walker and let Jack Bird (or Dugan, if fit) start at centre. Fergo is good enough but looks horribly out of form at the moment. I'd keep him. Same goes for Fifita but they need to get a rocket up him somehow.
No point dumping Farah for Ennis - if he's to go look to the future and give Peats a run.
"It's not easy being green", K. Frog, 1970
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Tamou and Fafita have had their names stamped not to play again IMO.

Fafita 8 runs for 48 meters. There was always the risk he was going to try and be a hero instead of running straight and hard.

Tamou 4 runs for 34 meters. In a crunch game, you can't get overshadowed by a debutant like Frizzell so badly.