Broncos knew they had secured a star in Anthony Milford

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Broncos knew they had secured a star in Anthony Milford

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: July 22, 2020, 8:39 am
julian87 wrote:I don’t think James ‘I’ll try and beat him for pace’ Roberts has ever been one of the most exciting players, especially once he’s been an exclusive right centre. He’s fast with not much skill imo.
he was a freak at the titans
That was before defenses worked him out. It was all stop, start and blow bast them on the outside. Now his player opposite either gets up on him quickly or cuts down the outside space and the winger can cheat in knowing Roberts won't/cant pass it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

on the wing at titans he got some broken play, kick returns, roaming rights etc and plenty of ball, he hasn't seen that since.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: July 22, 2020, 8:19 am I still think he should be a signing target for at least half the competition. He needs to get out of Brisbane yesterday.
100% agree
I believe a world class footballer is still in there somewhere
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:
julian87 wrote: July 22, 2020, 8:19 am I still think he should be a signing target for at least half the competition. He needs to get out of Brisbane yesterday.
100% agree
I believe a world class footballer is still in there somewhere
A few I inches below a layer of fat
mickjf
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Papali

Post by mickjf »

Milford in some ways reminds me of Kyrgios.

Natural talent off the scale but never had to really work hard since the juniors to make top players look ordinary. But when it came to the week after week grind year after year they just fade away.

Sure the Donkeys did him no favours, but he has to shoulder some blame. Instead I'll take a player with 80% of the talent who's had to work hard to get where they are.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Our attack in 2014 was based around him creating something out of nothing. He scored a try every second game and set up a stack more. Not quite as bad as Robbo in defence, but we certainly weren't in the business of grinding out wins.

The whole circus around him leaving and the gloating of the Broncos was one of the more disgusting episodes I've experienced as an NRL fan. The Bull about his dad, the salary cap rort and the commentary coming out of Brisbane was as indictment on the game.

As with all Bennett teams, he desperately needed Milford to provide spark in attack, despite having a stacked roster. What happened over the subsequent years as Milford became less and less effective was interesting to watch. The Broncos have sucked his mojo dry and their attack is now an absolute train wreck.

Happy days.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Milf looked like an immortal for us, and did in 2015.

Since then he's one of the suckiest sucks that ever sucked.

And I'm happy the donkeys are paying that gronk $1mill to suck
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield first reported the Broncos’ desperate need to ship Milford and Bird to new clubs.

And it emerged Tuesday that the club is likely to accept an ugly fate of also paying a significant percentage of Milford’s and Bird’s next contracts at rival clubs.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2 ... b933f287aa
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: July 29, 2020, 7:06 pm Milf looked like an immortal for us, and did in 2015.

Couldn't agree more, dubs. I still say the 2015 grand final ruined both he and Ben Hunt's careers.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

The Nickman wrote: July 31, 2020, 4:30 pm
dubby wrote: July 29, 2020, 7:06 pm Milf looked like an immortal for us, and did in 2015.

Couldn't agree more, dubs. I still say the 2015 grand final ruined both he and Ben Hunt's careers.
It’s the grand final that keeps on giving :)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Good time to bump

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: July 21, 2020, 8:38 pm I've said it once, i'll say it 1000 more times
The code or RL needs to convene some sort of Nuremberg style trial to bring to justice people who have committed egregious crimes agianst the game of Rugby League.

First on the docket is the Brisbane Broncos for what they've done to Anthony Milford. This was one of the most skillful, incredibly talented footballers who had so much creativity and skill and they've coached every **** ounce of it out of him and turned him into a ball distributing robot.

He was Kayln Ponga before anyone knew who Ponga was, imagine for a second now if in 2 years time Ponga was just some catch and pass game managing half? That's what this god forsaken club has done to Milford

Those responsible should be fired, chucked in stocks and allow the RL loving public to pelt them with fruit for the rest of their days.
CONVENE THE JURY I SAY!
Hold these bastards to account
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fair to say his early form for the Broncos was leveraging his development at the Raiders. The longer he's been in their system the worse he's become.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 11, 2015, 9:22 pm Couldn't care less. No other player shat me to tears as much as Milford when he was here.
I'll stick by my assessment 6 years ago.

I feel strongly about this. The whole Milford contract circus irritated me no end.

Bennett got his man and his man helped him reach (and nearly win) a grand final. Bennett then proceeded to ruin an incredible talent across the following seasons. Milford is also to blame. He got unfit and lazy.

Milford was the last time our great club got caught up in contract shenanigans from players and their managers. It was a real turning point.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

I made mention of milford last week. After he showed some Brilliant against the storm.

He still has it in him but he really isnt enjoying himself. He needs to be removed from the halfs to start with.

He needs to get in a team by a decent coach, one that can see his talent and know how to harness it. And honestly in my eyes theres only two coaches who milford would do well under at this part of his career. 1 is bellamy and the other is ricky. Any other coach and he will only get worse.

Those two coaches are true player coaches, their all about culture, mateship, 1 for all and all for 1, their about the enjoyment of the game. Their no nonsense, down the line, honest coaches who no matter your talent, if your willing to do the work your in the frame to play, talent doesnt grant you free entry.
If your going poorly they will tell you and they will encourage you to lift if your playing good they will let you know. And players want to play for them.

If it was me as the coach, id pull him to the side from the rest of the team and just spend all pre season doing speed skills, strength and conditioning. And just try to get him interested in the game again. A good close knit team would help.

I would replace cnk, not in milfords current form but if he got back even alitte of what he had, how good would he be starting out at 14 and working his way back into the starting side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Botman wrote: April 9, 2021, 2:41 pm
Botman wrote: July 21, 2020, 8:38 pm I've said it once, i'll say it 1000 more times
The code or RL needs to convene some sort of Nuremberg style trial to bring to justice people who have committed egregious crimes agianst the game of Rugby League.

First on the docket is the Brisbane Broncos for what they've done to Anthony Milford. This was one of the most skillful, incredibly talented footballers who had so much creativity and skill and they've coached every **** ounce of it out of him and turned him into a ball distributing robot.

He was Kayln Ponga before anyone knew who Ponga was, imagine for a second now if in 2 years time Ponga was just some catch and pass game managing half? That's what this god forsaken club has done to Milford

Those responsible should be fired, chucked in stocks and allow the RL loving public to pelt them with fruit for the rest of their days.
CONVENE THE JURY I SAY!
Hold these bastards to account
Can we please have more appreciation for this post? Linking the Nuremberg trials to modern-day RL recruitment and a touch of medieval punishment added in for good measure. Dan Carlin at his best.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: September 11, 2015, 9:22 pm Couldn't care less. No other player shat me to tears as much as Milford when he was here.
I'll stick by my assessment 6 years ago.

I feel strongly about this. The whole Milford contract circus irritated me no end.

Bennett got his man and his man helped him reach (and nearly win) a grand final. Bennett then proceeded to ruin an incredible talent across the following seasons. Milford is also to blame. He got unfit and lazy.

Milford was the last time our great club got caught up in contract shenanigans from players and their managers. It was a real turning point.
This is possibly true. The Milford saga may have been a turning point for our club. But it also coincided with Stickys return. Possibly he doesn't take any ****.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think he has to take some accountability. I think he's slower too, if you look at his Raiders highlights be was blinding. I'm not sure he'd have the pace to do most of those moves now. In 2015 he was running, passing and kicking which was probably his peak

There's always been talk that he's a bad trainer. His body language certainly isn't inspiring. I think it's mostly on him
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Milford absolutely has to take most of the responsibility here. Bennett just enabled him.

Stories of being out late with the boys before games, being a lazy trainer, eating too many pies...terrible leader off the field, which is a recipe for disaster when you're the highest paid player at the club.

He's that kid that went through the juniors destroying the opposition through sheer talent, who couldn't maintain it long term in senior footy as he was too lazy to work on his game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Anthony Milford axed as Kevin Walters calls time on $1 million Broncos battler

Rookie Brisbane coach Kevin Walters looks certain to finally swing the axe on battling $1 million man Anthony Milford after the five-eighth was sent back to train with reserve grade on Monday.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ceffc33160
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's a shame

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I've decided, bring him home. At the right price
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

His 2015 form helped him survive the axe up until this point. Had to happen some time.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

They’re talking like it’s so final, like he’s finished forever... surely a stint in reserves could be just what he needs to rejuvenate his career, even at the broncos?

If he goes away and works hard for a month and regains some form, I see no reason why the broncos wouldn’t recall him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 12, 2021, 12:48 pm I've decided, bring him home. At the right price
To play fullback i pressume?

Do you think he's got the speed and fitness to play there these days? I dont.
I think there are a lot of clubs that should look at him... if im Manly, sticking him next to DCE and getting him back towards being a run first half would be something worth considering
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: April 12, 2021, 2:00 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 12, 2021, 12:48 pm I've decided, bring him home. At the right price

I think there are a lot of clubs that should look at him... if im Manly, sticking him next to DCE and getting him back towards being a run first half would be something worth considering
Yes, fullback. Doesn't have the speed to be a top tier one, but he can be good value at say $400k. No slower than CNK, and can kick and pass. There isn't the pressure at Raiders as there is at Broncos
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Fitness perhaps not, but there's the upside of him getting his mojo back which makes me willing to take the risk. At the right price of $400-500k which might be dreaming anyway... some ESL club would offer more and he'd most likely kill it there
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Probably go to the new Brisbane team

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What a cluster Fat Tony’s career has become.

And the blame is squarely on the Donkeys.

They turned a freak with footwork, speed and anticipation into a ball distributing robot.

Well done Donkeys..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: April 12, 2021, 2:00 pm

That's the type of combo that would work. Miflord doesn't handle the mental pressure of being the primary half. He needs a dominant halves partner as the chief organiser.

Cleary and Luai have this style nailed at Penrith. Cleary runs the ship and Luai chimes in to take opportunities as they present. Adam Reynolds and Codey Walker are the same. That's why I can't understand the Bunnies not wanting to keep Reynolds around. He makes Walker more effective. If Broncos signed Reynolds they may be able to resurrect Milford's career, albeit on a much lower salary.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

That's the formula for all team's success really. You just have teams like us and Storm where GWilly and Jahrome Hughes are good enough that you find a place for them anyway