Your top eight and then the rest

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Your top eight and then the rest

Post by dubby »

Rather than predicting a ladder, I thought I'd change it up and ask you all which teams do you think are legitimate top 8 teams, and then rate the rest.

My top 8 in no particular order:

Roosters
Rabbitohs
Manly
Cows
Warriors
Dogs
Storm
Sharks.

For some reason the Dogs fail to excite me. They are well coached, have a good pack, some decent backs. Good team but miss that X factor IMO. Just not strong enough to beat Roosters or Souths. Sharks. If they stay fit they'll go OK. Not as bad as the bottom 8 sides, not a top 4 team. Manly will compete but they've lost some good forwards. Toovey will again scare us all with his veins in a post match explosion but I do think they will settle in the top 6 most of the year. Bloody good halves and backs will ensure Manly win their games. Warriors. If they weren't coached by Elliott I think they could crack top 4, but again I question their consistency. Roosters and Rabbits again to finish top 2. Cows will be a surprise packet, they'll ride the back of JT again., Storm are likely to be more of a passing shower this year than a real threat.

The rest in no particular order:

Raiders
Knights
Titans
Panthers
Eels
Dragons
Broncos
Tigers

Having said that, I do believe the Panthers are a side that could sneak in to the 8, along with the Knights. Neither are legit contenders for the title but should win most of their home games.

Dragons, Broncos, Titans, have issues. Some decent players, mostly average players and poor coaches. Forget about them.

Tigers, Eels are going to struggle. Sure, they'll spring a win or 3. Eels will start strong, I'm sure. They don't have the depth to last though and the worst board ever. They'll implode around May.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Your top 8 and then the rest.

Post by julian87 »

I'd replace the Dogs with the Titans and I think the Knights will make it as well.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

That top 5 almost picks itself

Roosters
Rabbitohs
Manly
Cows
Warriors

Outside the top 5 then becomes a bit of a lottery , you would imagine the Storm taking a spot from 6th to 8th , they do have Cam Smith

Dogs might struggle , their pack wasnt as effective last year and they didnt have the brilliance of Barba , like they dont this year.
Knights - Havent got a true dummy half , Mullen injured , Do have some class in the backs and some good work ethic in the forwards , should squeeze in , if Mullen comes back early enough
Sharks - ASADA still unresolved , good team , with strike power , the halves complement each other but there is a but about their season

And Raiders will finish 6th
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Re: Your top eight and then the rest

Post by Raider Bell »

Pretty much agree with your 8 Dubz. Only change I would make, which you touched upon, is Panthers. I reckon they have a great team on paper, the only glaring weakness are their halves, but both can fire and destroy the comp on their day. I don't want Gus to be succesful but you can easily argue he's doing pretty good things over at Penrith.

The team I have to knock down to the bottom 8 as a result of Panthers would have to be Dogs or Sharks. Sharks will have a rough trot this year IMO.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raidersrawesome wrote:That top 5 almost picks itself

Roosters
Rabbitohs
Manly
Cows
Warriors
I know Manly have a brilliant halves pairing and some really awesome players elsewhere but their front row rotation is Lawrence, King, Lui, Hasson and Starling. Ugh. Far from a definite top 5 team IMO.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Yeah agree their frontrow isn't great , Lawrence will go well and King isn't fancy but does the work when not injured
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

They will be top 5. They will make that front row look like superstars! :thumbsup :clap: :cmon :thumbsup :clap: :cmon :thumbsup :clap: :cmon :thumbsup :clap: :cmon
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Top Tier - THE CONTENDERS

Roosters
Manly
Storm
Rabbitohs
Cows

MID TIER

Sharks
Knights
Dogs
Warriors
Titans

LOW TIER

Panthers
Tigers
Raiders
Dragons
Broncos
Eels

---------------------------------------------------------

That's all in order too. The lower they're in the tier, the less likely they are to push up to the next tier. The higher, vice versa.

A couple of comments:

Panthers: there's talk that Gould is doing good things. I'm not convinced at all by their roster, but I concede there are a few unknowns who if they fire could push easily push them up a tier.

Warriors: I'm surprised to see someone say they pick themselves in the top 5. They did well in the 9's, that was completely predicted due to the style they play and S Johnson. They smashed the Broncos who are tripe. I do think they're good but not top tier. The defining question I have for top tier teams is this: are they genuine premiership contenders? And I'd have to say no at this point. Their coach is M Elliott, and I'm backing Hasler and Bennett to get their boys to the 8 rather than him.

Sharks: you don't need every player in the squad to be a star. You do need a handful of stars, and the rest of the squad can be more or less filler. Sharks have this. If they stay fit, Gallen, Fifita and Carney should see them comfortably to the finals.

Storm: how can people not reasonably think they're top tier? Each to their own I guess. As long as they have the Big Three, they'll comfortably be contenders.

Raiders: green goggles off, I can't see us anything other than low tier to start the season. If we push to mid tier and push for the top 8, good on us and I'd give us a lot of credit. Pushing to top tier seems just about a pipe dream. The odd win against a top tier team would be a good achievement.
86 invader
David Grant

Post by 86 invader »

Might as well put myself on record to be wrong... I'll focus on the 8 rather than the rest though...

1. Easts: Appear to a cut above everyone. Look a legit chance of going back to back...

2. Souths: Remind me of an English Super League team to a degree. Should go well through the 26 rounds bullying the lesser teams and winning a couple of big games. Not convinced they can win 3 straight in the finals yet to go all the way. But will be capable of knocking anyone out on any given night...

3-5. Manly and Melbourne are slightly declining but will get through tough games on experience/reputation. Newcastle are slowly improving and have moved into this bracket for me...

6-8. Cronulla, Nth Qld, Penrith look to have good squads too good on paper to miss the 8.

I have to be honest, the team that I can't make my mind up on is New Zealand... It will be interesting to see how they start this season...
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Pretty good summation there , milk.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RaiderSpark
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Past:Mal Meninga
Present:Xavier Savage

Post by RaiderSpark »

Canberra Raiders Minor Premiers and Premiers 2014
Autism Awareness - Accept Understand Love
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Rabbits and Roosters will finish 1 and 2 - They have talent laden rosters and quality coaching staff. I honestly can't split them at this point in the season.

Manly, Melbourne and the Cowboys will round out the top 5 - These 3 sides boast the best playmakers in the game. And have a lot of experience where it counts most.

Sharks, Raiders, Warriors, Panthers, Bulldogs and Knights will fight it out for 6 through 11 - All of these sides have a nice mix of youth and experience but will quickly drop out of contention with an injury to 1 or 2 key players.

I can't see the Broncs, Titans, Dragons, Eels or Tigers getting anywhere near the top 8 this year. They all lack quality play makers and have untested or rubbish coaches.

Surprise packets - The Warriors have the potential if it comes together to finish in the top 4. The Cowboys are also a side that could conceivably fall way short of expectations.
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

Roosters
Manly
Melbourne
Souths
Cowboys
Panthers-there's always one team who surprises.
Knights
Dogs-No Barba distraction
-------
Warriors-Elliott is their coach.
Sharks-ASADA a distraction
Titans-could finish anywhere
Tigers-young players will be better for last season
Broncos
Dragons
Raiders
Parramatta
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I think that Milk has got it about right. GEM, the titans have a couple of good playmakers
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Dr Zaius wrote:I think that Milk has got it about right. GEM, the titans have a couple of good playmakers
Falloon, Cezar, Kelly and Zillman is a pretty average Spine. I can't see them improving and I expect to see improvement from the Raiders, Panthers and Warriors which would put the Titans into the bottom 5 IMO.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Top contenders
Souths
Roosters
manly
Storm
Cowboys

Middle
Sharks
Knights
Warriors
Panthers
Titans
Bulldogs

Bottom
Tigers
Raiders
Parra
Dragons
Broncos
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Souths
Roosters
Cowboys
Warriors
Sea Eagles
Sharks
Storm
Panthers

Knights
Bulldogs
Titans
Broncos
Raiders
Tigers
Eels
Dragons

Roosters and Rabbitohs are a class above. Cowboys and Warriors I think will have good seasons but falter in the finals. Manly to have a strong season and make the semis. Storm look ordinary but get into the 8 on the back of the Big 3. And I think the Panthers will be the team that gets hot at the end of the season and sneaks into the 8. Knights and Bulldogs to just miss out. Titans to be one rung below them. The Broncos threatening but never looking like making it. The Raiders starting off slow but making a last ditch (too late) run. And the Tigers, Eels and Dragons will be crap.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Top tier

Roosters
Rabittohs
Cowboys
Storm
Sea Eagles

Middle tier

Sharks
Knights
Warriors
Bulldogs
Titans
Raiders

Bottom tier

Broncos
Panthers
Dragons
Tigers
Eels
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Interesting to see the Dogs falling out of favour with fans. They were minor premiers only 2 years ago with only Ben Barba being the most notable exception.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:I think that Milk has got it about right. GEM, the titans have a couple of good playmakers
Falloon, Cezar, Kelly and Zillman is a pretty average Spine. I can't see them improving and I expect to see improvement from the Raiders, Panthers and Warriors which would put the Titans into the bottom 5 IMO.
Falloon/Srama, Sezer, Kelly and Zillman is not a top tier spine but far from bottom tier. Plenty of points in them. They have a good forward pack as we all know, and some speedy backs. I've always liked Brad Tighe.

Titans are certainly not contenders but with those players they've got they won't be easybeats or a bottom tier team.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I dont rate the titans.

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Titans fans dont rate the Titans
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Must be all named billyt are they

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I don't really care Titans fans think. Maybe they're sick of their coach. Look at Sydney FC teams harping on about how bad their team was, then they won a few straight. Happily stick by my mid-tier prediction.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Raiders performed well above where I had them as a low-tier team. Gutting loss but that puts it in perspective
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm 0-5 in tips this weekend. :x

roosters x
bulldogs x
knights x
manly x
raiders x

off to a flyer :woot:
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've been dudded by the Bulldogs, who somehow managed to be crapper than Brisbane.
the green lantern
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by the green lantern »

My top 8 is;

Rabbitohs
Roosters
Cowboys
Sea Eagles
Storm
Warriors
Panthers
Sharks

I see the top 6 as Finals certainties and the last 2 spots as up for grabs with the Bulldogs, Raiders, Broncos, Knights, Titans a shot there and Eels, Dragons and Tigers no chance to make the Finals with them to fight out the spoon.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Update: Warriors were poor. Justified my relatively low opinion of them. But they played worse than even my prediction.

Eels played well above their low-tier status. Very impressed with the likes of Ma'u in particular, plus Edwards, Tanginoa. Big strong boys who won't take a backward step. Their halves are not game-changers but they're solid, and with Hayne there they should be able to manage points. I won't move them out of low tier for now but there'd reason to be a bit positive if an Eels fan.

St George I still don't rate, although Widdop looks fantastic. Tigers junk as predicted.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

These new rules are going to have an impact on our this comp pans out

Parra beat Warriors last year in round 1 . The trumpets were out then too
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Generally I'll look at 4 week "blocks" rather than one game to judge a team. I don't have that option now so just using the limited information I've got. Round 6 is generally a good indicator of where teams will finish.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Yep, too early to tell too much. Dogs did surprise me, as did NZ who looked poor.

mattygordo
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Damon Booby

Post by mattygordo »

dubby wrote:Yep, too early to tell too much. Dogs did surprise me, as did NZ who looked poor.
Not sure why the dogs surprised you they have a veteran winger playing fb, an overrated ageing hooker and an ordinary hb.Where are their points coming from? If they make the 8 i'll swim to New Zealand. And the warriors get talked up every year for some perplexing reason. They won't make the 8.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I just thought Broncos were a lesser side than the Dogs who have a really good pack on paper. Shame is, that pack only turn up once a blue moon to play some decent footy.

Ennis is still a better hooker than most, but yeah their FB and HB are not that good.

mattygordo
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Damon Booby

Post by mattygordo »

dubby wrote:I just thought Broncos were a lesser side than the Dogs who have a really good pack on paper. Shame is, that pack only turn up once a blue moon to play some decent footy.

Ennis is still a better hooker than most, but yeah their FB and HB are not that good.
Hmm better than most ay? I really don't think he is. I'd put him in the bottom 4 starting hookers in the comp but hey that's just me.