Footy Shows

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Footy Shows

Post by gangrenous »

There's no reason a footy discussion show has to include tactics. The Roast never did and it was enjoyable.

And I don't believe for a second you have to have played the game to be able to give tactical insights. It's not rocket surgery and the game has changed a lot since a lot of the commentators mentioned retired. It's not like they played these structures or tactics themselves necessarily anyway.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote:There's no reason a footy discussion show has to include tactics. The Roast never did and it was enjoyable.

And I don't believe for a second you have to have played the game to be able to give tactical insights. It's not rocket surgery and the game has changed a lot since a lot of the commentators mentioned retired. It's not like they played these structures or tactics themselves necessarily anyway.
That's true, shame that Fox are not using Andrew Voss to do a show like The Sunday Roast... and instead serve up the ridiculous rubbish of Matty Johns, Fletch and Hindy.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What's on in the sensible states while this daft "Queenslanders Only" show is on?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

One of the other 70 channels
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote:What's on in the sensible states while this daft "Queenslanders Only" show is on?
I thought it was embarrassing.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

League live was spot on, really enjoyed it. A league show looking at issues which are not covered by other league shows. The journalists were all over the latest topics.

Queenslanders only was a bloody joke but would appeal to the lowest common denominator league fan. Oh the butt hurt for KP was hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

"Oh he should not be going to a one team town, too much pressure"

Townsville
Brisbane
Gold Coast

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Queenslanders Only had a very interesting segment on players being unhappy when a team mate is paid well above their worth.

Hodges admitted that Broncos players weren't happy with Martin Kennedy's pay packet and performance levels.

He wasn't surprised that some st George players might be having issues with Hunt's pay packet.
CJR
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Cotric

Post by CJR »

League Life seems like it'd be a good watch if it was just the segment with the players like tonights with Waerea-Hargreaves. But they spent the first 15 minutes talking about how social media is powerful and can get you in trouble. Not exactly breaking news

Sent from my SM-G925I using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watching the replay of Matty Johns The Late Show. It's pretty clear Finchy doesn't understand the word hypocritical.
BJ
Steve Walters

Footy Shows

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Just watching the replay of Matty Johns The Late Show. It's pretty clear Finchy doesn't understand the word hypocritical.
Finchy has an issue with all two syllable or more words, why Foxtel thought he was going to be good TV I'll never know.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Tommy Radonikis on League Legends .. want a flicking dinosaur this guy is
I don't post facts
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brad Clyde on the couch with Sterlo soon....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Hey all.

Anyone else catch the 2 part legends of league program with Mal Meninga ?

All that footage of Mal from Souths Logan, 4 Kangas tours, 5 GFs with Canberra and plenty of game footage. Awesome stuff.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes I did.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

That's nice.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

i missed part 2

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Footy Shows

Post by BJ »

Did I just sit through the Matty Johns show for an hour for them to not review our Raiders game?

We have occasionally only got a small mention on that show, but I can't remember them not even showing the score or mentioning the game.

This has become a broader issue for the growth and coverage of rugby league since Fox have had access to all 8 games a week and get to show the big teams.

Channel 9 football shows basically never mention us or have our players on their news or shows. Fair enough the Raiders rarely appear on their network.

But before last year the Raiders used to get a fair proportion of coverage and discussion on the Fox Rugby league shows.

Since Fox got all games, they are now focusing on the Broncos, Roosters, Eels, Tigers, Dogs etc just like Channel 9.

The NRL has an amazing ability to cannibalise itself to the detriment of the game as a whole.

Fox and 9 now compete on who has the most news about the Broncos and Big Sydney clubs, whilst Raiders, Knights, Titans and Storm fans can get AFL information for all the NRL cares.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote:Did I just sit through the Matty Johns show for an hour for them to not review our Raiders game?

We have occasionally only got a small mention on that show, but I can't remember them not even showing the score or mentioning the game.

This has become a broader issue for the growth and coverage of rugby league since Fox have had access to all 8 games a week and get to show the big teams.

Channel 9 football shows basically never mention us or have our players on their news or shows. Fair enough the Raiders rarely appear on their network.

But before last year the Raiders used to get a fair proportion of coverage and discussion on the Fox Rugby league shows.

Since Fox got all games, they are now focusing on the Broncos, Roosters, Eels, Tigers, Dogs etc just like Channel 9.

The NRL has an amazing ability to cannibalise itself to the detriment of the game as a whole.

Fox and 9 now compete on who has the most news about the Broncos and Big Sydney clubs, whilst Raiders, Knights, Titans and Storm fans can get AFL information for all the NRL cares.
Good post. It's not like the Matty Johns Show is so full of great content that they could spend a couple of minutes on it.

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Tuned into The Footy Show. Permanent vision loss from the glare off Big Willie's teeth.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

** Bump **
Watched the Matty Johns Podcast last week. I have a new found respect for Paul Kent. He was talking about his NRL career, and how he had a contract with North Sydney on the table, but he was at a crossroads with his journalism career at the time. The newspaper he was working for didn't like him leaving work early to train etc, so he had to choose between First Grade and Journalism.

He didn't believe he was good enough to be a great player, and he always figured he had journalism as a Plan B, so he turned down the contract and continued with the journo gig. He made a point that comparing himself to Matty and Blocka and they had no Plan B, so they had more of a drive to succeed, where he always had in the back of his mind "Oh well, if this doesn't work, I have something else to fallback on."

Another interesting point was where he was talking about a chat with Sterlo during his time in Parra. He always heard commentators saying how the good halves were always planning 1 - 2 plays ahead, and he just couldn't do that. He asked Sterlo for some advice, Sterlo takes him to see a training game, and starts talking through his thought process. Kenty said he just couldn't get what Sterlo was talking about, which further doubted his ability.

Definitely worth a listen I think. I feel his is a story that needs to get out there more, especially with those players on the cusp
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 28, 2020, 12:29 pm ** Bump **
Watched the Matty Johns Podcast last week. I have a new found respect for Paul Kent. He was talking about his NRL career, and how he had a contract with North Sydney on the table, but he was at a crossroads with his journalism career at the time. The newspaper he was working for didn't like him leaving work early to train etc, so he had to choose between First Grade and Journalism.

He didn't believe he was good enough to be a great player, and he always figured he had journalism as a Plan B, so he turned down the contract and continued with the journo gig. He made a point that comparing himself to Matty and Blocka and they had no Plan B, so they had more of a drive to succeed, where he always had in the back of his mind "Oh well, if this doesn't work, I have something else to fallback on."

Another interesting point was where he was talking about a chat with Sterlo during his time in Parra. He always heard commentators saying how the good halves were always planning 1 - 2 plays ahead, and he just couldn't do that. He asked Sterlo for some advice, Sterlo takes him to see a training game, and starts talking through his thought process. Kenty said he just couldn't get what Sterlo was talking about, which further doubted his ability.

Definitely worth a listen I think. I feel his is a story that needs to get out there more, especially with those players on the cusp
Yeah, that was actually quite interesting, including the insight into life with Peter Jackson.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

SEN track radio, breakfast with Jimmy Smith and Joel Caine is good

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2017, 5:41 am
BJ wrote:Did I just sit through the Matty Johns show for an hour for them to not review our Raiders game?

Good post. It's not like the Matty Johns Show is so full of great content that they could spend a couple of minutes on it.

I don't watch the show anymore. Waste of time. Stupid jokes and idiots like Fletch and Hindmarsh. No analysis or football content. I also went to school with Matthew Johns. Not the most talented player or presenter but he's an OK guy compared to his brother. Matthew is called a legend, but legend he is not.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 15, 2017, 5:41 am

I don't watch the show anymore. Waste of time. Stupid jokes and idiots like Fletch and Hindmarsh. No analysis or football content. I also went to school with Matthew Johns. Not the most talented player or presenter but he's an OK guy compared to his brother. Matthew is called a legend, but legend he is not.
Worse still, more recently their guests are “celebrities” with no or limited connection to rugby league. And they dominate the show, with discussion about stuff that has nothing to do with rugby league. It’s the old “Footy Show” formula. We should not expect any better, given who’s in charge at Fox League. He just imported the old fashioned coverage from Nine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah I don’t like the Matty Johns Show, but I’m enjoying the Podcast.

They just need to replace Blocka. They’re 2/3rds of the way to a good show
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Boooo to The Big League wrap hosted by Vonny last night.

The Raiders/Sharks got no more than 2mins coverage at the end. With only 4 games to review and a full hour..there needs to be an investigation.

We could have seen interviews/injury updates and some in depth feedback from the panel but no !!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Gordon Tallis on NRL360 is a dill..just sayin.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yet the show is hugely improved with him on it.