Footy Shows

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Footy Shows

Post by greeneyed »

Fox League:

NRL 360
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at 6.30pm EDT

Ben Ikin and Paul Kent run the ruler over all the talking points. Laurie Daley and Kevin Walter join them for Coaches’ Night on Monday; on Tuesday it's Players' Night with Aaron Woods, James Graham and Benji Marshall; and legend Billy Moore gets a jersey on Wednesday's Legends' Night.

Monday Night with Matty Johns
Monday, 7.30pm EDT

Johns is joined by Gorden Tallis, Bryan Fletcher, Nathan Hindmarsh and Lara Pitt for the best wrap of the weekend plus plenty of laughs.

"It's 7.30pm this year to be a little more family friendly. But how family friendly can you be when you've got Fletch in there." Matty Johns.

On the Couch with Sterlo
Tuesday, 7.30pm EDT

The league legend is joined by NRL greats and NRL news-breaker James Hooper.
Plus every week, Sterlo takes over the couch for a one-on-one with current and former players.

League Life
Wednesday, 7.30pm EDT

It's Australia's first all-female sports panel show … and it's all about league.

Get a fresh perspective each week as Yvonne Sampson, Lara Pitt, Jessica Yates and Hannah Hollis discuss the big games and the big issues.

Fox Sports CEO Patrick Delany said it's a big step for the channel, which promises to have women involved “in every FOX SPORTS broadcast of Fox League, whether it's a game or a magazine show”.

Matty Johns declared, "It is outstanding! Jessica Yates is hardcore. It's not a fluff piece show. It's a really good show. The boys at NRL 360 had better watch their ****."

Queenslanders Only
Wednesday, 8pm EDT

Robert “Crash” Craddock is joined by Queensland legends including Mal Meninga, Kevin Walters, Gorden Tallis, Corey Parker and Justin Hodges. Yep, it's as one-eyed as it gets.

League 13-to-1
Thursday, 6.30pm EDT

Tara Rushton and Braith Anasta run through the greatest moments in NRL history with the biggest names in the game.

Thursday Night League
Thursday, 7pm EDT

Game night comes early in 2017. Thursday Night League host Yvonne Sampson and an expert panel kick things off with the best discussion and analysis of the game.

The Late Show with Matty Johns
Thursday, 10pm EDT

There's even more Matty in 2017 when he's joined by his team after the Thursday night game. Expect jokes, banter, pranks and left-field analysis.

"Put the kids to bed, it's on!" Matty Johns

Friday Night Footy
Friday, 5.30pm EDT

The ultimate Friday night footy fix, with double the action every week. You'll only get both Friday night games on FOX LEAGUE.

The first game of the season is the battle of the super coaches: Craig Bellamy's Melbourne up against Des Hasler's Bulldogs.

Then it's the blockbuster at 8pm when Robbie Farah pulls on the red and green to face his former mates at Wests.

The Professor’s Second Year Syndrome
Friday, 10pm EDT

The breakout star from Monday Night with Matty Johns, James "The Professor" Rochford, gets a gig of his own.

"The most dangerous show on TV", says Matty Johns.

Second Year Syndrome is a sharp poke at everyone and everything to do with the league.

Super Saturday
Saturday, 3pm EDT

The biggest day: three LIVE, ad-break free during play with games back-to-back, and where everyone's team deserves to be seen.

Matt Shirvington opens the day from the ground before Yvonne Sampson takes the reigns at Fox League HQ.

Sunday Ticket
Sunday, 1pm EDT

Jess Yates, Braith Anasta, Michael Ennis and Lara Pitt will deliver the double-header.

Kick back, relax and settle into a leisurely afternoon of LIVE league action in HD.

League Legends
Sunday, 6.30pm EDT

Wrap it all up with one of Australia's best sports journos, Tim Sheridan, and this series of one-on-one, in-depth interviews with some of the biggest names to have ever played the game.

The shows launch on FOX LEAGUE – Channel 502 from Monday, February 27.

https://www.foxtel.com.au/got/whats-on/ ... eague.html
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

It's a smorgasbord......
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

An all female league panel show hey. That'll be great television.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

julian87 wrote:An all female league panel show hey. That'll be great television.
Oh, I didn't realise you were still in 1987 Julian?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Really julian?
"Nrl from the kitchen" featuring "cats: nice or not"

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dont delete this GE
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

simo wrote:Really julian?

The funniest thing about that is I can't cook! :)

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Vaccinated
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gangrenous wrote:
julian87 wrote:An all female league panel show hey. That'll be great television.
Oh, I didn't realise you were still in 1987 Julian?
I'm all for equality but considering there's not a female that has played or coached in the NRL I can't imagine the pundits on the show will be worth listening to. Some of the female reporters working in and around the NRL do a pretty good job but what's a sports panel without actual experience in that sport?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

To quote one of my favourite writers on the "jockocrasy" of sports analysis-

"We've graduated beyond the Stone Age of football. Those who haven't played the game at the highest level are fully capable of understanding and communicating its beauty as well as its intricacies."
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

cat wrote:
simo wrote:Really julian?

The funniest thing about that is I can't cook! :)

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
There is nothing funny about a chick who can not cook!

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fox must have thrown some decent coin at Yvonne...

$$$ talks.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Pigman wrote:To quote one of my favourite writers on the "jockocrasy" of sports analysis-

"We've graduated beyond the Stone Age of football. Those who haven't played the game at the highest level are fully capable of understanding and communicating its beauty as well as its intricacies."
Presenting the game, yes.

Analysing the game, not even close.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yvonne Sampson has played women's rugby league. Clearly not NRL, but I'd say that she and a lot of women reporting on rugby league are better pundits than a large number of former male players currently in rugby league broadcasting. Some of them seem to have no idea what they are talking about. Some have no idea how to communicate what they do know.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Footy Shows

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote:
Pigman wrote:To quote one of my favourite writers on the "jockocrasy" of sports analysis-

Couldn't disagree with you more
Most of this forum know more about the game today, and its intricacies than the precession of former internationals analysising it
And they could sure as **** communicate it more effectively too

The quote absolutely nails it imo. This idea that you have to have played the game at the highest level to truely understand it, to be quite frank, is total and complete **** perpetuated by people who are looking to keep outsiders out from their inner circle

Jockocracy 101
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Pigman wrote:
julian87 wrote:

Couldn't disagree with you more
A portion of this forum know more about the game today, and its intricacies than the precession of former internationals analysising it

Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Not sure if ive told this story here but
A mate of mine was on a bucks pubcrawl in the city and was having a punt in the tab when yvonne walked in and started filling out some tab tickets. He had a chat to her and reckons she was a legend asking where their strippers were. Happy to watch any show she's presenting

Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

In fairness to those saying a womens panel wouldn't understand the intricacies of the sport enough to have a genuine and natural conversation about, i think playing the sport at some level does go a long way to understanding it more. Mrs simo loves her footy, but her opinions on players are largely shaped by whos had the nicest story written about them or whos the biggest player.

Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox League kicks off in just under one hour.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't understand why there's a show for "Queenslanders Only" on Fox League when there are no shows only focussed on other clubs or on New South Wales... I don't get it at all.

It would be nice to have a half hour show every week focused on each club... as Channel 9 once promised.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote:I don't understand why there's a show for "Queenslanders Only" on Fox League when there are no shows only focussed on other clubs or on New South Wales... I don't get it at all.

It would be nice to have a half hour show every week focused on each club... as Channel 9 once promised.
Looking forward to watching the raiders show aired once a week at 3am on a tuesday morning?
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

zim wrote:
greeneyed wrote:I don't understand why there's a show for "Queenslanders Only" on Fox League when there are no shows only focussed on other clubs or on New South Wales... I don't get it at all.

Looking forward to watching the raiders show aired once a week at 3am on a tuesday morning?
The AFL Footy Channel had two 1/2hr shows concentrating on clubs Collingwood and Essendon .. both being produced by those clubs.
I don't post facts
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

zim wrote:

foxtel iq. I wouldnt care when it aired

Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

simo wrote:
zim wrote:

foxtel iq. I wouldnt care when it aired

Woooosh
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It was a terrible show. Count me out

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not sure I like all the markings on the coverage... the virtual 10m line... fine when you need to prove something, but it looks like it is going to be there the whole time! And they're going to put a big number on the base of the ruck to show the tackle count number. Don't like that either.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote:I'm not sure I like all the markings on the coverage... the virtual 10m line... fine when you need to prove something, but it looks like it is going to be there the whole time! And they're going to put a big number on the base of the ruck to show the tackle count number. Don't like that either.
lets just wait and see how it plays out and once we see what its like, form opinions and make fox sports aware of those opinions

Dont delete this GE
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Considering they made the channel based on feedback if enough people talk they'll listen
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I'd much rather listen to Andrew Voss than I would any number of ex-footballers, and as far as I'm aware he's never played. He's not good because he has a doodle either. So no reason why a women's panel couldn't be good.

The only thing I'd concede is that it may be more difficult to find good female candidates because there's probably less women to choose from who are obsessed with football to the level required.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote:I'd much rather listen to Andrew Voss than I would any number of ex-footballers, and as far as I'm aware he's never played. He's not good because he has a doodle either. So no reason why a women's panel couldn't be good.

The only thing I'd concede is that it may be more difficult to find good female candidates because there's probably less women to choose from who are obsessed with football to the level required.
100%
Judge them on their content, which I'll never do because I don't watch any of the footy coverage other than the games itself an occasional morning coverage if we win
But I've known a few women who could talk footy rings around some blokes. No reason why smart women with a passionate can't analyse the rugby league.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Has Vossy been on this launch show at all? Don't think I've seen him.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gangrenous wrote:I'd much rather listen to Andrew Voss than I would any number of ex-footballers, and as far as I'm aware he's never played. He's not good because he has a doodle either. So no reason why a women's panel couldn't be good.

I really like Andrew Voss, I always have. He's one of the best presenters of rugby league because of how much he loves it. He's a decent pundit because he's well read when it comes to rugby league. I know I am contradicting myself here but he's also got a good 25 years experience in and around the game to start with. With all of that being said I've never seen him present anything that's really analysed anything too deeply in game. He knows his players, he knows history, but he wouldn't be able to present an on screen wrap of plays and numbers like Matt Elliott did a few years ago IMO despite obviously being more fluent in front of a camera. Steve Robilliard, for example, was the voice of Australian netball but the expert comments added by the likes of Eloise Southby and Sharelle McMahon gave you a far better insight in to what was actually happening on court.

And. If Voss hosted a panel/opinion/analytic footy show and the panel was him, Tim Gilbert, Warren Smith and Tony Squires I wouldn't be interested in it for the very same reason.

Pigman is right. Being a legend of the game, or a coach is not necessarily necessary to be a great analyst. But suggesting it isn't the leg up of all leg ups is telling porkies. And just on that I'd imagine (this is a gross generalisation) that the average sports fan would rather listen to a legend of the game's opinion than someone they don't know.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have a look at the high profile former players Fox League features... Fletcher, Hindmarsh, Tallis, Roach... to be honest, I don't pay much heed to their views given the sorts of comment they make. They have agendas or don't even attempt to comment on the football, but rather try to be "funny". They don't give me any serious insights into the game.

Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler... most of the "legendary" players don't give you much insight really.

Peter Sterling or Phil Gould (when not pushing agendas) can give me serious insights into the game. Even Ikin has his moments. Alexander is terribly biased against the Raiders, but at least he gives you some insights... in fact the players who are callers generally do.

Lots of the former players, however, simply act the fool.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

I enjoyed it. Loved the one on ones with the players. Joey and JP did great. YS did a fantastic job. I'm excited

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote:Have a look at the high profile former players Fox League features... Fletcher, Hindmarsh, Tallis, Roach... to be honest, I don't pay much heed to their views given the sorts of comment they make. They have agendas or don't even attempt to comment on the football, but rather try to be "funny". They don't give me any serious insights into the game.

Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler... most of the "legendary" players don't give you much insight really.

Peter Sterling or Phil Gould (when not pushing agendas) can give me serious insights into the game. Even Ikin has his moments. Alexander is terribly biased against the Raiders, but at least he gives you some insights... in fact the players who are callers generally do.

Lots of the former players, however, simply act the fool.
100%

And it only takes 2 weeks of the season to figure out what rugby league media to bother with or not.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Two words; Hannah Hollis.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Shoving it in your face since 2017