NRL Auckland Nines Tournament 2014

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

NRL Auckland Nines Tournament 2014

Post by Raidersrawesome »

All Stars spectacle could be killed off in overhaul of NRL pre-season

CHIEF executives from all 16 NRL clubs will converge in Sydney on Monday to decide on a major overhaul of the 2014 pre-season, which could include the scrapping of the annual NRL and Indigenous All Stars concept and the introduction of a Super Nines tournament in New Zealand.

This year's World Cup, which will feature the game's elite, is placing pressure on the All Stars match which will be played just over two months after the World Cup final on November 30.

The serious concern for player burnout following the World Cup features heavily throughout a 14-page document sent to all 16 clubs, which The Sunday Telegraph has obtained ahead of Monday's CEO conference at League Central.

The document explains how the NRL has agreed with the players association to undertake research into the possible impact of the World Cup on the 2014 pre-season "with a focus on the All Stars match".

The Sunday Telegraph has been told that the NRL will discuss three options surrounding the All Stars with all 16 CEO's Monday including:

* Postponing the 2014 All Stars for one year;

* Gaining a commitment to the All Stars from the game's best players, including Johnathan Thurston, Cameron Smith and Greg Inglis;

* Sacrificing the credibility of the concept by keeping the All Stars concept, but without the game's best players involved.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6690708150
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: All Stars spectacle could be killed off in overhaul of N

Post by The Nickman »

I don't like the All Stars concept anyway.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The all stars game is just a tester for random rules they grab from other sports
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Im happy to lose the All Star game from the schedule.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

If the 9s replace it Im ok with it as well
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

I don't mind seeing the All Stars game gone ... after todays game, we wouldn't have anyone in the All Star anyhow
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This match has proven to be great for the code, great recognition for the Indigenous community and good for reconciliation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:This match has proven to be great for the code, great recognition for the Indigenous community and good for reconciliation.
Yes it has, but it has a short life span imo
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

If they can replace the All Stars with the 9s tournament I'll be happy, just as long as we get some rugby league when I'm league-starved I'll be happy.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

greeneyed wrote:This match has proven to be great for the code, great recognition for the Indigenous community and good for reconciliation.
Totally agree, it is the best idea the League has had since Origin started. I love it and it is good for the game. I can't see the point of Nines.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

This is going to sound rather awful, but I fail to see the reconciliation aspects of this concept. The week leading up to it and getting out into the community is great, but the actual match itself??

When you live in a community with a rather high indigenous population, you view the game with different eyes a little bit. When they're watching the game and screaming "smash those white ****s" it preaches anything but reconciliation in my eyes.

To me it's like saying state of origin promotes goodwill between NSW and Qld.

It's probably just me that feels this way but I have no absolutely affiliation with the All-Stars team. In fact quite the opposite. I kind of feel like if I were to support them I'd be viewed a racist. I watch this game every year at my local pub with up to a dozen indigenous people whom I am proud to call my mates and family too.
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Just put an indigenous team in the 9s tournament.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PrimetimeRaider wrote:Just put an indigenous team in the 9s tournament.
Now THAT is a great idea.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

The Nickman wrote:
Wouldn't that still create the exact same problem you spoke about? A group of indigenous people screaming smash those white c***s or whites screaming the same thing? You will obviously still have a team of non indigenous playing vs indigenous, and the diversity that it comes with.

If there is a flow over of how many people get selected for the indigenous team will they happily play for a non indigenous team, or does that also create a new problem?

I would much rather see the greatest athletes playing, not the best indigenous vs the best non indigenous - I don't care one bit what colour anyone's skin is. Until both positive AND negative racism is removed and we stop segregating due to race we won't ever truly move past racism. It's actually a bit sad that it most likely won't happen for a very, very long time.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raider Bell wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Wouldn't that still create the exact same problem you spoke about? A group of indigenous people screaming smash those white c***s or whites screaming the same thing? You will obviously still have a team of non indigenous playing vs indigenous, and the diversity that it comes with.

If there is a flow over of how many people get selected for the indigenous team will they happily play for a non indigenous team, or does that also create a new problem?

I would much rather see the greatest athletes playing, not the best indigenous vs the best non indigenous - I don't care one bit what colour anyone's skin is. Until both positive AND negative racism is removed and we stop segregating due to race we won't ever truly move past racism. It's actually a bit sad that it most likely won't happen for a very, very long time.
I don't know. When it's in a tournament I can't see it being as confrontational. Certainly no-one would begrudge me supporting the Raiders in this instance.

Like I said, this is just my take on the whole concept, I'm sure plenty others disagree.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

I agree 100% with what you said. It just doesn't seem to do what they want it to do (reconciliation) at all I reckon.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

I often wonder how the concept would go if you did an NFL version..

Aside from one team dominating, the other would be full of quality QB,s
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

The Nickman wrote:This is going to sound rather awful, but I fail to see the reconciliation aspects of this concept. The week leading up to it and getting out into the community is great, but the actual match itself??

When you live in a community with a rather high indigenous population, you view the game with different eyes a little bit. When they're watching the game and screaming "smash those white ****s" it preaches anything but reconciliation in my eyes.

It's probably just me that feels this way but I have no absolutely affiliation with the All-Stars team. In fact quite the opposite. I kind of feel like if I were to support them I'd be viewed a racist. I watch this game every year at my local pub with up to a dozen indigenous people whom I am proud to call my mates and family too.
I think you have a fairly good point. I dont see much from the indigenous side of things, but ive heard people yell **** you'd be embarrassed to think in support of the all star side
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Worm wrote:I often wonder how the concept would go if you did an NFL version..

It wouldnt be as lopsided as you think

the whitey's could still churn out an pretty gun team. And the blacks QB wouldnt be near as good. RB and CB are a concern for the whiteys offense could be:

QB: Aaron Rodgers
FB: John Kuhn
RB: Peyten Hillis, Danny Woodhead
WR: Jordy Nealson, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Eric Decker
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski
OL: Joe Thomas (LT), Evan Mathis (LG), Nick Mangold (C), Josh Sitton (RG), Jake Long (RT)

3-4 Defense:
DL: JJ Watt (DE), Justin Smith (DT), Jared Allen (DE)
LB: Clay Matthews (OLB), Sean Lee (ILB), Brian Cushings (ILB), Paul Kruger (OLB)
CB: Tony Carter, Eric Weddle, Steve Gregory
S: Harrison Smith, Kurt Coleman
Last edited by Nick on August 6, 2013, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

Post by Captain Punish »

Ha! That's a decent team.. It's missing in the RB dept.. But geez.. Throw Tebow and Big Ben in there and make em earn their keep..
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

The secondary is horrendous. Smith and Weddle are good but the others are **** hopeless :lol:
But yeah, RB isnt great but with those TE's and WR's you probably wont spend much time running the ball
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley

All Stars spectacle could be killed off in overhaul of NRL

Post by Captain Punish »

Very true.. The arm that supports and the air assault is top notch!
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

Nick wrote:
Worm wrote:I often wonder how the concept would go if you did an NFL version..

It wouldnt be as lopsided as you think

the whitey's could still churn out an pretty gun team. And the blacks QB wouldnt be near as good. RB and CB are a concern for the whiteys offense could be:

QB: Aaron Rodgers
FB: John Kuhn
RB: Peyten Hillis, Danny Woodhead
WR: Jordy Nealson, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Eric Decker
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski
OL: Joe Thomas (LT), Evan Mathis (LG), Nick Mangold (C), Josh Sitton (RG), Jake Long (RT)

3-4 Defense:
DL: JJ Watt (DE), Justin Smith (DT), Jared Allen (DE)
LB: Clay Matthews (OLB), Sean Lee (ILB), Brian Cushings (ILB), Paul Kruger (OLB)
CB: Tony Carter, Eric Weddle, Steve Gregory
S: Harrison Smith, Kurt Coleman
Thats a pretty good group of gym rats and scrappy players
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:This is going to sound rather awful, but I fail to see the reconciliation aspects of this concept. The week leading up to it and getting out into the community is great, but the actual match itself??

you're a brave man nicko. I expected the liberals to be all over you by now, distorting your words and robbing you of your right to an opinion
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

david231280 wrote:I don't mind seeing the All Stars game gone ... after todays game, we wouldn't have anyone in the All Star anyhow
I'm pretty sure all clubs are represented David, no matter how bad the raiders are going...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Start the season a week earlier, drop the byes and make soo stand alone weekends.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Start the season a week earlier, drop the byes and make soo stand alone weekends.
Nooooo, leave Origin alone!!
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

The Nickman wrote:
Shadow Boxer wrote:Start the season a week earlier, drop the byes and make soo stand alone weekends.
Nooooo, leave Origin alone!!
No it screws up the whole season, the best teams don't finish high enough and teams that lose more than they win make te 8

Drop tat Anzac Day test as well, that's te spot for game 1
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

All Stars cancelled as Nines is born

THE NRL is refusing to concede the annual NRL Indigenous All Stars clash is dead - despite the concept being sacrificed next season, just four years after its inception.

All Stars coach Wayne Bennett has been asked to join the NRL at a press conference today to announce a major overhaul of next year's pre-season.

It will see the inclusion of an inaugural NRL Nines event in Auckland which, despite its $2.2 million prizemoney, has been criticised by Penrith general manager Phil Gould.

Rugby league's end-of-year World Cup, which concludes with the final on November 30, has led to the All Stars, which is usually held in the second week of February, being squeezed from next year's pre-season.

More than 100 NRL players from Australia, New Zealand, England, Papua New Guinea, Italy, Tonga and the Cook Islands will play at the World Cup.

An email obtained by The Daily Telegraph detailing the 2014 pre-season calendar and a subsequent phone hook-up of all 16 clubs yesterday confirmed the overhaul.

The fear of forcing the game's elite, including World Cup certainties Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater, Sam Burgess, Kieran Foran and Shaun Johnson, into making themselves available for the All Stars just eight weeks after the World Cup was the main reason behind the NRL's decision to scrap the annual exhibition match.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6692971839
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Re: All Stars cancelled as Nines is born

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Do you think teams will really send good players to this on seasons eve, we couldn't even get them to play in the all stars. Most teams will just send fringe players.

Then we will have 140 NRL players on the grog in Auckland for week, the pre-season scandals will be endless.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Do you think teams will really send good players to this on seasons eve, we couldn't even get them to play in the all stars. Most teams will just send fringe players.

Then we will have 140 NRL players on the grog in Auckland for week, the pre-season scandals will be endless.
Stella pre season entertainment
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

With the prize money available I think teams will take it more seriously than the all stars
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

The Tigpies were one of the few sides to take the Sevens seriously in Sydney, I think the Eels might have had a crack too, but as you say most sides will send out fringe players.

I notice that whinger coach of Melbourne has said that he's going to pull all of his rep players who have played the World Cup. He's going to prevent them playing 2-3 games of Nines, but he's fine for them to play 60-80 mins of the All Stars games each year? ****!
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Keen to see it happen. Nines will be great, enough teams will be interested in the prize money to take it seriously

We'll be able to field a pretty handy side i recon
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

teams wont take it seriously.

Ours would have the likes of Kennedy, Picker, Boyd and Uiti Baker