The Phantom's Guide to the NRL 2013

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green Jamey
Dean Lance

The Phantom's Guide to the NRL 2013

Post by Green Jamey »

Heading in to the NRL for season 2013 I thought I would offer my opinions on the teams for this years competition.

People say the salary cap is working and that any team can win it. I disagree. There is a growing divide between clubs for various reasons.

Allow me to elaborate.

Brisbane Broncos.

Surely this is the weakest Broncos team in history. They have an aging halfback, an injury prone centre in Hodges and an average forward pack. They started 2012 really well but in the end they fell in a heap as the rigors of the season exposed them for what they are; over achievers. I don't rate Anthony Griffin and my prediction is we will see Darren Lockyer coaching this team in the next 18 months. This team will miss the 8 in 2013.

Canterbury Bulldogs.

Arguably the best coached team in the comp. They also recruited really well last year picking up Inu and Perrett mid season. Can the Dogs go all the way in 2013? Yes. Will they? It all depends on Ben Barba. This guy is a freak and sniffs out tries like George Rose sniffs out meat pies. If Barba stays fit, the Dogs should be top 4. It will be interesting to see if Hasler can get T Rex competing consistently like he did with Pritchard.

NQ Cowboys.

Best props in the game, best 5/8 and a dynamic fullback. Lets not forget Tariq Sims, and their strong 3/4 line up. Once again, if injury permits the Cowboys should be top 4. How will they handle the Origin season? I also have concerns over their aging back row in Dallas Johnson and Glen Hall. Solid performers but on the wrong side of 30.

Gold Coast Titans.

The poor Titans. Last year they had no money, future was uncertain but that didn't stop them buying big. Maybe they had more quality homes to give away. How can a team with Bird, Myles, Idris, Dave Taylor be discounted? Its a monster team, no doubt. They are similar to the Raiders; rated by no one but their own. Some exciting talent in Sezer, Kelly and Srama but again I just don't see the Titans having the right balance to win the comp. They will be competitive.

Manly Sea Eagles.

Manly are old. Or at least they seem old. They do have exciting halves in the Cherry Pie and Foran, some sublime ball players in G Stewart and Jamie Lyon but their props are past it. Kite is on the wane, King is not getting any better and George Rose......well. At least he bends the line. He bends his scales at home too, but that's besides the point. I just don't rate Manly, if they make the 8 I will be surprised.

Melbourne Storm.

Another well coached team. Bellamy is a great coach, but I wonder if he is borderline unstable? If we were to see anyone else behave like he does at a footy game we'd sit a long way from them. We'd honestly get really wet too, this guy spits everywhere when he screams. They will be top 4 if they keep Cam Smith on the field. How they adapt to the new ruck interpretation will be interesting, they win if they are allowed to wrestle and slow teams up.

Newcastle Knights.

Another aging side; Buderus, Mason, Scott, Tahu, Smith are all over 30, and all past their best. Bennett will again rely on dour unimaginative play coupled with a Darious Boyd left side move to score tries.

Not a bad team on paper In a bit of trouble with other forms of paper. Maybe Tinkler has sold some of his horses to European restaurants to alleviate his debt? This club is always in a state of financial duress, and always a darling of CH9. For this reason I hate them.
Wayne Bennett has recruited another golden hair price tag in Beau Scott to stiffen the Knights defence. (Does anyone else wonder why Wayne Bennetts mouth is on the side of his face?) Also have the likes of David Fa'aologo as a recruiting ace.

Parramatta Eels.

They will improve. Would be hard not improve on last year.
In typical Ricky Stuart coaching fashion they will probably make top 4 next year only to leave them in a mess shortly after. Train wreck of a club that is launching every assualt on every player in the market. Over invested in players like John Hopoate, Sandow and Papalii. If Papalii even goes there.

Penrith Panthers.

I tip the Panthers to do better than most expect. Cleary is cleaning the decks of some egos and replacing them with honest toilers like Lewis Brown and Wes Naquima. If it works, he is a genius. If he fails, he meets expectations. Dally M Coach of the year for sure.

Cronulla Sharks.

Massive recruitment. Big expectations. Much depends on Carney. They should make the 8, but I don't rate Flanagan. Cronulla is mired in a losing culture. I don't see Flanagan, Gallen, Lewis and Carney leading this club to success in October, I just don't. Some scandal will arise from this club during the year.

South Sydney Easter Bunnys.

Probably the pick of the bunch. If Souths stay fit they should win this. But, because they are Souths they will probably find a way to finish 13th. Great pack, big backs, exciting half back and a tough little hooker, and yes the worst supporters in the league. I honestly think they should finish top 4, but will they?

St George.

How the mighty have fallen. The coach resembles a puppet, the team is comprised of discards and make shifts. They wont finish above 12th.

Sydney Roosters.

Maloney will make a huge difference to this team. The Chooks will be hard to beat in 2013.
The hype of SBW will carry them a long way, and I think he will perform well. Just how did Nick Politis handshake entice SBW to get paid 1/80th of his Rugby Wage? Just how did Sonny Boy decide he will honour that handshake and not his legal binding contract with the Dogs? Its a mystery. I'm told when his manager said he was going to fight "the White Rhino" Sonny assumed it was the rhino Jim Carrey fell out of in Ace Ventura.

NZ Warriors.

Wooden spooners. How they decided Matt Elliott was the best coach around baffles me. I expect him to sign wingers to play lock or second row, he will sign a 35 yo from ESL to be the playmaker and then make some funny comments post game to keep his job. At least he reads Deepak Chopra, this will inspire his NZ team to a win or 4.

Wests Tigers.

You know you're in trouble when Braith Anasta is your best signing. They will toil away, winning games here and there. They have Benji and Robbie but this club is not a threat in 2013.

Canberra Raiders.

So much depends on the halves finding the form from the finals last year, and if we can develop a hooker to last the season. Whether its Buttriss, Berrigan, Picker or McKillerwrick we just need a hooker who will play decent footy for 26 rounds.

Raiders are not rated outside Sydney, but most Raiders fans tip a good year. Their trial form is a good sign; not so much based on winning but on the attitude and improved physical condition of the players. If we sustain this for a season, we will again figure in the semis in 2013.