Gladiator sevens

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Gladiator sevens

Post by greeneyed »

A country sevens to Crowe about
By Iain Payten
January 21, 2005

WITH Gorden Tallis, Mark Carroll and Mark Geyer forming an intimidating phalanx of bodyguards, is The Gladiator set for a shock outing in his country sevens tournament this weekend?

The Orara Valley Axemen in northern NSW - home club of mega-celebrity Russell Crowe - hosts a rugby league sevens competition tomorrow.

Among the 40 teams vying for the $15,000 prizemoney will be an All-Star team with more than 10 former internationals.

Along with Tallis, Geyer and organiser Carroll (who trains Crowe), its members include retired players Phil Blake, Paul McGregor, Rod Wishart, Cliff Lyons, Lee Hookey, Brad Mackay and Robbie O'Davis.

They'll duel with the USA Tomahawks, a Fiji side, the Coogee Dolphins and assorted Group 2 teams for the crown - and Tallis hints the All-Stars may get one genuine "star" on to the field before the two-day tournament concludes.

Asked if Crowe was going to bring his boots, Tallis replied: "I would not be surprised. Do not be surprised.

"Why wouldn't he though, seriously? He'd be right. He's Claudius Maximus, he's the Cinderella Man, he can handle himself. And I'd look after him out there."

Crowe owns a cattle farm in the Orara Valley district, near Coffs Harbour.

As the club's No.1 supporter, he not only designed the Axemen's jersey but put up the prizemoney for the weekend's sevens tournament.

All the money raised at the event will be put back into junior development.

"We have got an awesome array of talent up there mate," Carroll said.

"I've been getting all the guys to come up and play. You're a long time retired and it should be a lot of fun."

Carroll said travelling the world training Crowe had kept him fit enough, but he still expected to be "sucking up the worms" at some stage during the sevens competition.

What about the Gladiator, though? Any chance?

"Negative. I would hate to be covering his insurance bill if he played," Carroll laughed.

The Daily Telegraph

++++++++++++++++++++++

Have to give it to Crowe for doing this for junior football in a non metopolitan area.