Great weekend for former Raiders in Super League

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

fulivai
David Grant

Post by fulivai »

Scrum half Michael Dobson was the star of the show in Hull KR's 46-28 victory over Castleford at the Jungle on Sunday.

Former Canberra Raider Dobson scored two tries, set up a further two and kicked seven goals to become the first man to pass the 200-point barrier in the Super League this season.

Fullback Shaun Briscoe also grabbed a hat-trick and winger Peter Cox scored two as Rovers overturned an early 12-0 deficit to cement their hold on fourth spot.

Leeds kept up the heat on leaders St Helens as Scott Donald's last-gasp try helped snatch a 24-22 victory from the jaws of defeat against Warrington.

The result was a crushing blow to former Rhinos coach Tony Smith who was returning to Headingley for the first time and had seen his Warrington side lead the reigning Super League champions for nearly all the match.

But with the Wolves ahead by four points with time almost up, former Manley Sea Eagles wing Donald went over in the corner allowing Kevin Sinfield to kick the winning conversion.

The visitors snatched the lead through former Rhino Richie Mathers but he then gifted Leeds a try when he failed to gather Sinfield's kick allowing Ryan Hall to touch down.

Warrington's Vinnie Anderson exchanged scores with Donald before half-time but the Wolves moved ten points clear thanks to Louis Anderson's try.

Leeds drew level through scores from Lee Smith and Danny McGuire but with six minutes left Michael Cooper restored Warrington's advantage.

However, Chris Bridge missed the extras and he was made to pay as Donald capitalised on Garreth Carvell's mistake with Sinfield kicking Leeds to within two points of St Helens with the last kick of the game.

The Saints also left it late to secure a 10-6 victory over in-form Wigan with Kyle Eastmond's brilliant try the difference with three minutes left.

Wigan were on course for a sixth consecutive win and a first win at Knowsley Road since 2003 until the 20-year-old scrum-half scored a brilliant individual try which he then converted.

Matt Gidley had put the home side ahead but just before the break Sam Tomkins touched down for Wigan with Pat Richards kicking them into a lead that would last before Eastmond's moment of magic.

Michael Potter's side also have Huddersfield, who they face next week in the Challenge Cup semi-final, breathing down their necks in the league after the Giants crushed Hull FC 24-0 for the sixth win on the spin.

And although Nathan Brown took the opportunity to rest some of his stars they still had too much for Hull with tries from David Hodgson, Shaun Lunt, Michael Lawrence and Leroy Cudjoe doing the damage.

Also on Friday night, Michael Korkidas scored against former club Salford as Wakefield Wildcats bounced back from their derby defeat to Castleford with a 30-24 victory.

Fellow play-off chasers Catalan Dragons thrashed bottom side Celtic Crusaders 34-0 with former Australia internationals Jason Croker and Greg Bird were among seven different try scorers at Stade Gilbert Brutus.

On Sunday, former Canberra Raiders duo David Howell and Matt Gafa shared three tries in Harlequins 22-14 victory over Bradford to keep their play-off push firmly on track.

Great to see Toots still running a muck. Dobson is having a cracking season over there aswell. I was over there when he played for Wigan and he killed it. Finishing top points scorer, which hes on track to do again this season.

Does anyone know the real reasons why he was let go? Asking for too much quid? I know he didnt cover himself in glory when he came back from the UK but he did play some decent footy at times especially in attack. he was very good at getting the ball into the in goal for repeat sets, which is somthing we are dreadful at now. He did no worse than Herbert and McCrone. If halfbacks need at least a few seasons to settle in the NRL, why wasnt he given the same?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Great weekend for fomer Raiders in Super League

Post by gerg »

Its Todd's fault.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

fulivai wrote:Does anyone know the real reasons why he was let go? Asking for too much quid? I know he didnt cover himself in glory when he came back from the UK but he did play some decent footy at times especially in attack. he was very good at getting the ball into the in goal for repeat sets, which is somthing we are dreadful at now. He did no worse than Herbert and McCrone. If halfbacks need at least a few seasons to settle in the NRL, why wasnt he given the same?
He was 3rd choice in our halves at the time (behind Carney and Campese), and qualified for the ESL based on the number of games he'd played in the previous season for the Raiders. If he'd stayed with us til the end of last season, he wasn't going to have enough games under his belt and couldn't have gone back to the UK. It was pretty much "now or never", so he asked for a favour from Management. Hindsight being 20/20, we certainly could have used him this year, but at the time I don't think too many people here thought he'd get a regular call-up.
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Still think we made the right decision regarding Dobson. The dude's a speedbump in defence and had next to zero running game. He will forever be known as owning the UK SL and go crap in the NRL, so why not stick to what you're good at? I wish him all the best but he's not suited to playing here.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It shows how weak that ESL is if you ask me.

All of those former Raiders wouldnt play for an NRL team IMO.

Good on them though. Good money, great atmosphere, doing something they love without the pressure of NRL to boot.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by GreenSoul »

Dobson is better than any halfback on our books.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

GreenSoul wrote:Dobson is better than any halfback on our books.
No. He's really not.
He's a terrible runner, woeful defender, inconsistant kicker, and consistantly bald
IBG is right, he's an ESL superstar, NRL hack. Good luck to him, he's found his place in RL. He is not NRL standard and i refuse to believe anyone suggesting he is has an idea. He was so far out of his depth. Herby has played more good games to this date in FG then Dobson did.
GreenSoul
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by GreenSoul »

Raider_69 wrote:
No. He's really not.
He's a terrible runner, woeful defender, inconsistant kicker, and consistantly bald
IBG is right, he's an ESL superstar, NRL hack. Good luck to him, he's found his place in RL. He is not NRL standard and i refuse to believe anyone suggesting he is has an idea. He was so far out of his depth. Herby has played more good games to this date in FG then Dobson did.
OK :)
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raider_69 wrote:
No. He's really not.
Yeah he is. You are nowhere near objective when it comes to these two. You have always been ridiculously pro Herbert and terribly anti Dobson.

Dobson being a woeful defender is an absolute myth, not to mention it doesn't matter as he is a halfback. Then Herbert is called a good defender by his supporters and he is just as bad, if not worse than Dobson ever was.

Dobson was a genuine halfback who showed, albeit inconsistently, that he had what it takes as an NRL 7. Herbert has played 20 games or so and showed nothing at all to suggest he will ever be up to NRL standard. It is no coincidence that the two games we have had McCrone in the halves this season we have been great in attack.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

If you say so.
I guess thats why Dobson is in the ESL, he was a future star... so much that no other NRL club wanted a bar of him :)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dobson was a terrible defender, Herbert is a decent defender.

Dobson was a good attacker, Herbert is a decent attacker.
Edrick The Entertainer
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

Dobson had good vision and a good short kicking game and that was it. Physically he was not up to NRL and was very slow for his size. I have never seen a player get absolutely creamed by the defense as much as Dobson did when he ran it. The ESL style of the game must really suit him...
love_the_green
Alan Tongue

Re: Great weekend for former Raiders in Super League

Post by love_the_green »

mongoose wrote:Dobson had good vision and a good short kicking game and that was it. Physically he was not up to NRL and was very slow for his size. I have never seen a player get absolutely creamed by the defense as much as Dobson did when he ran it. The ESL style of the game must really suit him...
He's a great ESL player, and could cut it in the NRL, but he was all round inconsistent, I liked him, and when he was in form, he was great.

He's a hero in ESL, he just about single handedly saved one team from relegation, I think it was Wigan, one of the big teams.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raider_69 wrote:If you say so.
I guess thats why Dobson is in the ESL, he was a future star... so much that no other NRL club wanted a bar of him :)
I admit I am the opposite as well, anti Herbert and was pro Dobson so I think we both tend to exaggerate said players.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BSB Raiderman wrote:Dobson was a terrible defender, Herbert is a decent defender.

Dobson was a good attacker, Herbert is a decent attacker.
You're being very, very generous IMO.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

julian87 wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:If you say so.
I admit I am the opposite as well, anti Herbert and was pro Dobson so I think we both tend to exaggerate said players.
Probably right
either way i dont think either are anything super special right now
I think Herby can be a solid contributor at half for an NRL side, he wont ever be a rep player but he can do a job.
Rovers till i Die
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Michael Dobson

Post by Rovers till i Die »

Raider_69 wrote:
No. He's really not.

As for being an inconsistant kciker, please read the stats above. He has an 84% completion rate this season on conversions and has managed to score 11 tries in 23 appearances. Not bad in my eyes. Granted, the NRL is way beyond our game in the UK but to say he is a terrible runner, defender and kicker is a bit strong.
Rugby League is my life, Jayne is my wife and never the twain shall meet!!
freddo
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Great weekend for former Raiders in Super League

Post by freddo »

im not getting on the band wagon here but what about the 68 mistackles from 23 games so hes missing at least 3 tackles a game on average. and hes made 318 from 23 so that works out to be 13 tackles a game. which i think its a fair bit for a halfback.
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way